What "type" of fan are you? Coming clean

On 10/31/2019 at 7:40 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

I am a Bills fan from the day I started watching football.  There was no father who was a fan telling me who to watch or teaching me the intricacies of the sport.  I liked all sports & cheer for the local teams.

I have no deep knowledge of the draft or know all the starters at each position or get very excited about trades or drafting on the offensive line or linebackers & DB's.  I want them to perform and cheer for them.

I will see who the Bills drafted, the scouting reports, rating draft picks by team (i.e. ABC....) & that's about the end of it for me.  

I do not & will repeat it play fantasy football.  I do a weekly pool vs. the spread & that is it.

I am however a fan of QB's, passing yards, WR's & having a productive exciting running game (not 3 yards & a cloud of dust).  I want to see the offense score 35 points, throw for 300+ yards & move the ball up & down the field.  The Kelly K-gun Bills were the best.  The Buffalo Vs. SF No punt game was the best game I ever saw.

So yes when I hear McDermott talk about "THE PROCESS" and "CHARACTER" players and intimate they want to grind out games, make few mistakes & his idea of a great win is 14-10 (and we do know that is his attitude) it rankles me.

I am a fan and exciting is 35-31, not 17-14.  

And yes I think Allen can be that franchise QB, because if he is not, the Bills are back to square one.

Some of you just want wins (of course we all do), but again I too want to be entertained, and frankly the Bills are not a fun team to watch.

So tell me why you watch & what you want from the Bills.

I have transitioned from just wanting to win to just wanting to be entertained. After all the older I get the more I realized this is entertainment. 

win, lose or draw if I am entertained I am happy. Do I want wins? Of Course who wouldn’t. But dropping the cash I drop I wanted to be entertained. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I have transitioned from just wanting to win to just wanting to be entertained. After all the older I get the more I realized this is entertainment. 

win, lose or draw if I am entertained I am happy. Do I want wins? Of Course who wouldn’t. But dropping the cash I drop I wanted to be entertained. 

I can be entertained by going to a show, watching a movie, listening to music, etc.

As a Buffalo Bills fan, I want championships.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I can be entertained by going to a show, watching a movie, listening to music, etc.

As a Buffalo Bills fan, I want championships.

I want wins too. But I want to be entertained by the product on the field. The reality is NFL and the Bills are not nearly as big of a part of my life as they used to be in the 90s and early 2000s 

I like football, and I watch several college and pro games each week.  I like to see good plays and players. 

I’ve lived in a few different Upstate NY locations in my life, so being a Bills fan is a natural for me. 

When the Bills went from being a perennial playoff team to being a perennial average or below average team, I would get grouchy as the season slipped away.  I’m not as emotionally invested anymore. 

I don't follow college or other pro teams in too much detail, and I don’t know who all the top players are. I’m often impressed by the knowledge that other posters have when it’s draft time.

My son plays fantasy football so he occasionally gives me updates on who to look out for on other teams. 

21 hours ago, zonabb said:

One who doesn't see fandom as a social organization or place to meet people. One who doesn't drink the Koolaid spewed here and by the likes of Chris Brown, John Murphy, and Sal Capaccio. One who never, ever wears a jersey with the name of another man on my back because I am older than 12. One who is analytical and organizational, and therefore statistically driven, and as such believes leadership, planning, and uh oh process, that is centered on developing a team based on emotional intelligence, football intelligence, and work ethic produces more results than picking the fastest player with the best 3-cone shuffle. One who is not emotionally attached to a single player, which leaves me able to see them as parts of a system and to accept when the part is faulty. One whose week isn't ruined by a loss or glorious because of a win. 

One who refuses to diminish the achievement of the Pats, Bill Belichek, and Tom Brady out of spoiled grapes and homerism. The whining, asterisks, and general childishness around the Pats is very entertaining to me. 

One who is a diehard fan of the team, win or lose. One who boos and cheers and believes that only cheering and not booing is why we live in this kindergarten country where everyone gets a trophy. One who is a STH despite the lean years when I should have bailed, when I ate tickets constantly for games I couldn't make and literally couldn't give them away. 

One who will raise a glass with any fan but won't tolerate conversations about ifs and maybes about your favorite player when the data and my eyes tell me otherwise while yours are blinded by the charging buffalo. Cheers.

Man you’ve really got it together. This guy right here knows what’s up. We should all aspire to this. 

I’ve decided my balls have grown to big to ever where any other mans name on my back and so to keep these huge grapefruits warm from the snow we just got last night, I’m taking all my jerseys to the fireplace and lighting them up.

#imbetterthanallyousimplemindedpeasants

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/31/2019 at 6:40 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

I am a Bills fan from the day I started watching football.  There was no father who was a fan telling me who to watch or teaching me the intricacies of the sport.  I liked all sports & cheer for the local teams.

I have no deep knowledge of the draft or know all the starters at each position or get very excited about trades or drafting on the offensive line or linebackers & DB's.  I want them to perform and cheer for them.

I will see who the Bills drafted, the scouting reports, rating draft picks by team (i.e. ABC....) & that's about the end of it for me.  

I do not & will repeat it play fantasy football.  I do a weekly pool vs. the spread & that is it.

I am however a fan of QB's, passing yards, WR's & having a productive exciting running game (not 3 yards & a cloud of dust).  I want to see the offense score 35 points, throw for 300+ yards & move the ball up & down the field.  The Kelly K-gun Bills were the best.  The Buffalo Vs. SF No punt game was the best game I ever saw.

So yes when I hear McDermott talk about "THE PROCESS" and "CHARACTER" players and intimate they want to grind out games, make few mistakes & his idea of a great win is 14-10 (and we do know that is his attitude) it rankles me.

I am a fan and exciting is 35-31, not 17-14.  

And yes I think Allen can be that franchise QB, because if he is not, the Bills are back to square one.

Some of you just want wins (of course we all do), but again I too want to be entertained, and frankly the Bills are not a fun team to watch.

So tell me why you watch & what you want from the Bills.

from the moment I wake up on Sunday my blood pressure is through the roof  ,  IF the Bills win then  and ONLY then is when I can actually relax and enjoy the rest of the Sunday’s games , 

So you find entertainment in a 35-31 win ???

i can barely survive a 17-14 win !!! 

GO Bills !!!!

I’m the Bills fan that became one at 9 years old and shared it in powerful bond with my father. I’m the Bills fan that persevered through 4 Super Bowl losses and the friends and family that have never let that go. I’m the Bills fan that moves across the country, and a different country than the team is located at that, yet still makes it to at least one game per year. I’m the Bills fan that rewatches wins and losses to analyze players and plays so I see it through unbiased and informed eyes and don’t come on TBD and spout uneducated nonsense. I’m the Bills fans whose two young daughters know that the only team that matters is the Bills and they both let my Pats  fan father-in-law know it at every opportunity. What type of fan am I? I’m a Bills fan and I let the world know it every chance I get.

Edited by MiltonWaddams

Been a fan for almost half a century. I was a late bloomer football-wise, got interested when the Super Bowl era began, especially with Jets win over the Colts. It occurred to me after several years that as a Western New Yorker I should be rooting for the Bills. So I remember Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, and getting an autograph from Rob Riddick for my toddler son at a shopping mall in the 80's. When we first got there the line was long, so we went shopping for a bit. We came back at close to 9pm and Riddick was sitting at the card table in the middle of the mall. Alone. We walked up, got an autograph and had a brief chat. Good of him to hang in there. That kind of locked me in as a fan.

10 years later my son is going through high school during the Super Bowl years. He missed SB XXVIII because by then he had joined the Air Force and was going through basic training. During his 20 years in uniform, he was always able to find pockets of Bills fans around the world. I have pictures of Humvees in the desert with Bills logos painted on the side. Checking up on his beloved Bills was a big part of home for him. 

This past weekend we watched our grandson play in his final high school football game. He, like his Dad and Granddad, is a Bills fan. Several years ago he was visiting us during the summer and we signed him up for Jim Kelly's Football camp, the 1 day version at St. John Fisher. This was right after Kelly's first bout with cancer, and there was much speculation about his availability for the day. He did show. He did stay. He spoke with the kids, ate with the kids, and coached and played with the kids for the entire day. My respect for him as a person grew exponentially beyond my admiration for him as a football player, as it has for many people whose lives he has touched. 

So for us, its a family thing. My late mom lived with us for 15 years, and she was a fan, too, with an unnatural affinity for Doug Flutie. (Mom, he's really not playing anymore, let it go!) Like many of us, she would have enjoyed Rex's pressers and had high hopes for EJ. She would have loved Josh Allen and Frank Gore, and still have considered the Patriots the spawn of Satan. That's us. Bills fans no matter what. Age is creeping up, I'm starting to feel the "once before I die" thing creeping in. But we're enjoying this year, and I've always enjoyed reading the posts and comments at TBD. 

Became a fan in the early 90s, not because they were wining but because I had just moved to Florida from Long Island and the newspaper was trashing the Bills before a playoff game against the fins. I looked it up and realized the Bills were the only “true” NY team and chose to root for them. Been a Bills fan ever since.   Type of fan, Die hard. 

Ooooh boy this is a good one. What kind of fan am I? I'm a fan who went to their first game in 1994, but was too young to remember that it was Kelly vs Favre. The first game I remember, Todd Collins was QB against the Jets. 

I'm the type of fan that has watched nothing but mediocre at best QB play for their entire life, and often it's less than mediocre. I watch other teams with so much jealousy at how easily they throw the ball while I watch a team content to win 17-14 all the time. I reckon with how frustrating it is to be a Bills fan frequently. I expect the worst almost every season because they haven't ever provided me with anything else. But still, I watch them every single week. I rarely turn a game off before it's over. I can't quit them, I just have to deal with them and hope some day they're actually good for a sustained period of time. 

Been a fan since I was around 9 in 1986, die hard fan since and a former season ticket holder. I used to drink the koolaid quite a bit when I was younger, but am more cynical now. Maybe this is the NY Yankees fan in me, but I want championships because at the end of the day that is what it's about. I'm willing to give players, coaches and GMs sometime to grow, but you can't keep selling me the same crap year in and year out. Josh grows this year and next year we need to make a decision IMO

I used to be the type of guy you described yourself as not being. I knew the whole roster like the back of my hand. Followed the NFL intently. Watched every Thursday Night game. Sundays were all football. Bills, 4:00 game, SNF game, and then MNF. Watched the entire draft. You get the picture.

Ever since I met my wife, I still follow the Bills really intently, never miss a game. I'm still a huge Bills fan. But I honestly can't remember the last time I sat and watched a non Bills NFL game that wasn't the Super Bowl. It's not that I don't have time, I just don't care as much. If I'm gonna watch a football game where I don't have a dog in the fight, it's usual college. 

It's just how I naturally evolved. I don't care one way or the other about anthem protests. While I have my qualms with the leauges new rules and "soft" play, that's not what drives me away. Maybe it's because the Bills are actually good for the first time in a long time, so I don't feel like I have to go elsewhere to see good football. 

On 10/31/2019 at 5:00 AM, KGun12TD said:
die·hard
/ˈdīˌhärd/
noun
  1. a person who strongly opposes change or who continues to support something in spite of opposition.

I guess this is where we start. From OJ to EJ,  I've had Bills in the Blood and it's been a long and painful 40+ year journey. Sundays have been Billsdays since I was a kid, listening to games on the radio when we weren't at the stadium or the games were blacked out. Family gatherings and tailgates from 40-60 people were common and we had weddings and family events timed around Bills games all through my adulthood. 

I remember my first game ever at War Memorial. My dad and uncles would carry in a cooler full of beer and sandwiches and we'd sit on those long metal benches soaking in the game. In my teens, we used to ride our bikes to the stadium, sneak in and find empty seats. Like every true Buffalonian we lived and breathed Bills football on Sundays. A win and the week was brighter, a loss and I was pissed off for awhile. As I grew older the anger lasted less and less, but still 40 years later, my wife will tell me to pipe down the screaming and swearing at the tv during crisis times of a game. She will often leave the house and know by the look on my face if we won or lost. 

I will always remember the first Super Bowl against the Giants. I was living in New York City and hosted a big party at my place.  I had Bills gear all over with crash test dummies in jerseys and Bills themed decor everywhere. Bills fans were outnumbered about 30-2 and I was so sure we were going to win after thumping. the Raiders 51-3. My cockiness at a championship was all but guaranteed and I blew my savings making bets and throwing parties.  Needless to say the letdown was a long one after wide right. 

Still all these years later, I don't miss a game and I don't miss a day when I'm not cruising this board and wasting work time reading all the articles from this great community.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

As a kid the Bills weren’t on TV much, so I was intent on listening to the radio and imagining the game. Then I went to a few games starting at age 12 and I was hooked on the andrenaline of it. I can’t imagine not watching even a single game even in the worst of years through thick and thin....mainly thin.  When I lived in Boston, pre Brady, I watched no one care at all about the Pats. Those fans didn’t deserve what they got, just as we don’t deserve what we have gotten these last few decades. I haven’t lived in Buffalo in a long time but I will always be a Bills fan every day in every way.

I'm the type of fan that has an ongoing headache.  Been supporting this team from its outset and it really hurts, frequently.  But the law of averages often takes a very long time to kick in; look at the Red Sox.  So never give up.

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

5ljGUhn.gif?noredirect

Is that Rex, or his brother with a haircut?

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD