SI feature on Gilmore-Bills coaching/prep during his time here don't come across well

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/30/stephon-gilmore-on-why-he-is-best-cornerback-in-nfl

He ached to know how they did it. “I know they’ve got a great quarterback, but these other guys are always in position to make plays,” Gilmore recalls thinking. “Five years in Buffalo, you see that and you are like, I don’t know what it is. What are they doing different? Then, to actually get on their side, is totally different.”

---

In Buffalo, Gilmore studied film on a projector at home. But the Patriots watch so much footage during the day that often Gilmore has nothing more to see at night. “Sometimes we even watch the same film 10 times in a row, and it’s like, I already watched this,” he says. “But you are not going to forget it in a game.” 

---

During his five years in Buffalo, Gilmore had three different coaches and four defensive coordinators. When Rex Ryan arrived in 2015, many expected the former Jets coach to use Gilmore the way he had used Revis. But the Bills’ staff relied less on man coverage than coaches had in New York; they kept Gilmore on the right side of the formation rather than let him follow the top receiver. “[The Patriots] demanded more of him,” says Dennis Thurman, Gilmore’s defensive coordinator for his last two seasons in Buffalo. “They needed him to handle the responsibility they placed on him, and in return he is paying them back for believing in him. He had to prove he was worthy of that contract, and now I think he has outperformed it.”

Gilmore did become a Revis—just for the world champions. During New England’s Thursday-night game against the Giants, in Week 6, Revis tweeted that Gilmore “by far is the best corner in the game right now.” 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He was actually good in Buffalo. Now, with far better coaching and preparation, he's the best in the league at his craft. 

He was just as good here. He got no recognition and constantly had to play cover 0 and 1 with rex. Not exactly stat stuffing coverages

He's always been a top corner

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, 2003Contenders said:

The Bills have a long history of drafting quality CBs -- Winfield, Clements, Gilmore, and now White. They let the first 3 walk before their 2nd contract, let's hope that doesn't happen with Tre.

Winfield was never coming back.

In order to keep Clements, we would had to have made him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history.  A year or two later...he was reduced to a nickel corner.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He was the whipping boy on here.

He was.

Part of that was because Rex so badly mis-used him. That said, it was pretty clear in his final season here that he knew he was going to be playing elsewhere and was looking for a big payday, so (whether consciously or not) he went out of his way to avoid contact/injury during that final season as a Bill.

• Like (+1) 3

I believe everything Gilmore says here. For 19 seasons this team has dominated the NFL. They don't always win the superbowl, but they are almost always 1 of the final 4 teams. It has to be coaching. Some how, their receivers are always open, regardless of a pick play or not. Their defenses dominate when Tom Brady is having a less then steller day. The fact that teams are unable to give new England 1 losing season for the last 19 years, is an indication of how bad the coaching is on most of the other NFL teams. That nobody can figure out what Belichick does, to consistently start beating him. Mainly the Bills, Jets and Dolphins. I hope McDermott is able to beat the patriots soon.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

Angry reactions aside that he dare something bad about our team, I am wondering how much he is generalizing. I would think that between Pettine and Schwartz he would have had opportunities better than playing for Rex.

Gilmore was one of the few holdover defensive players who kept improving in the 2 Rex years. Not saying they Ryan scheme was the reason - maybe it was - or just that he had more experience by that point.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Winfield was never coming back.

In order to keep Clements, we would had to have made him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history.  A year or two later...he was reduced to a nickel corner.

Can't argue with you here.

I guess what I am getting at is that  (and this stretched across various administrations)  the front office(s) failed to be proactive in contract negotiations. Quality CBs are a huge commodity in the NFL, which is why they command such large contracts. When White signs his next contract, it will likely make him the highest paid CB in the NFL (until the next top notch CB becomes a free agent); the Bills need to accept that and work with him and his agent in good faith -- before he becomes a free agent and gains leverage. After all, part of this long term plan is to draft well and keep our own good players, right?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Remind me again how I should care about the actions of previous regimes?

Because it's those exact irresponsible actions of the past which scare our current regime away from making trades. Apparently. Or at least according to McD?

I dunno, but I agree with you.

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Happy Gilmore 

When YOU don't live up to expectations

Look inward before you look outward 

I think he's done looking inward after 3 super bowl trips, and two Wins. Somehow someway, every single NFL franchise has had multiple losing or .500 seasons over the last 19 years, except the Patriots who haven't even had 1. How is this possible? That not once, could a collection of 13 teams on a patriots schedule not be able to find a way to beat the patriots enough to force them into a losing season. There are just that many incompetent coaches in the NFL, that are incapable of bringing out the best in their players. The Patriots are doing something different, and I want more players like Gilmour to come out and explain how this is possible.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was actually good in Buffalo. Now, with far better coaching and preparation, he's the best in the league at his craft. 

He was way better than people give him credit for in Buffalo. Much of the criticism was stupid. He did, however, GREATLY benefit on New England for already having been in the league for 4-5 years, so he was now getting veteran calls from the refs, combined with getting Patriot calls from the refs, which makes an enormous difference in his production. He was very good on the Bills though.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What does this say about that irresponsible previous regime which drafted him?  Or the current regime who let him walk so that they could trade down, pass on two potential All Pro QBs, to draft his replacement?

Hey man, McD didn’t have time to evaluate the QB’s that draft but he did know that Gilmore was bad and Tre White was gonna be good.

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Gilmore was an excellent corner while he was here but in his free agency year, I have never, ever seen an NFL player avoid contact like Gilmore avoided contact.  It was a joke.  After that, I didn't care whether he came back or not.  Still don't. 

That's just not true IMO. He used to not wrap guys up, and they would sometimes break tackles. He would come in and lower his shoulder into receivers or runners instead of tackling them. But it was very often NOT avoiding contact, it was avoiding tackling. If anything he was more likely to get hurt like that than less.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

That's just not true IMO. He used to not wrap guys up, and they would sometimes break tackles. He would come in and lower his shoulder into receivers or runners instead of tackling them. But it was very often NOT avoiding contact, it was avoiding tackling. If anything he was more likely to get hurt like that than less.

Is that video of Gilmore with the arm club CRUSHING Sanders vs the Broncos in 2014, and then getting a ridiculous flag still out there?

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was just as good here. He got no recognition and constantly had to play cover 0 and 1 with rex. Not exactly stat stuffing coverages

He's always been a top corner

He didn't tackle well when he was here during the Rex years.  It wasn't limited to him.  I did a lot of screaming WRAP!  WRAP @#$% YOU! at the D

Given how loosy-goosy and underprepared Rex and the team often seemed, it doesn't come across as a shock that the players were left on their own for film study.  But a projector?  Seriously?  Srsly?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Can't argue with you here.

I guess what I am getting at is that  (and this stretched across various administrations)  the front office(s) failed to be proactive in contract negotiations. Quality CBs are a huge commodity in the NFL, which is why they command such large contracts. When White signs his next contract, it will likely make him the highest paid CB in the NFL (until the next top notch CB becomes a free agent); the Bills need to accept that and work with him and his agent in good faith -- before he becomes a free agent and gains leverage. After all, part of this long term plan is to draft well and keep our own good players, right?

To give you where I believe Winfield wasn't coming back, he was interviewed after the last game in his contract year.  One reporter asked him "Do you want to come back to Buffalo".  Winfield smiled and said "We'll see....".  I knew he wanted out of here.

I'll agree with you there.  If they would have locked up Clements before he became unrestricted...we could have had him at a more reasonable price.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

He deserved that during his final season with us.

I honestly don't believe that.  Belicheck wouldn't have paid him that contract if he was coming off of a bad year.  

They made him at the time I believe the 2nd-3rd highest paid corner in the league.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He didn't tackle well when he was here during the Rex years.  It wasn't limited to him.  I did a lot of screaming WRAP!  WRAP @#$% YOU! at the D

Given how loosy-goosy and underprepared Rex and the team often seemed, it doesn't come across as a shock that the players were left on their own for film study.  But a projector?  Seriously?  Srsly?

I don't take much stock in the Gilmore can't tackle. He is a super physical outside corner.

He played with a broken wrist!

He knocked Eddie Lacy out of a game before.. 250 pounds... Not 1 other corner in the league would take him on like that. You need to preserve at some point

You wanna know a corner who won't and cant tackle? Levi Wallace... Turns his back and runs downfield

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not a good look, but also telling why we didn't pay him... While It would be nice to have him, I don't think McD can justify the money for a guy whose an ill fit for the scheme. I didn't watch much, let alone follow closely during the disaster of the Rex era, so I don't know why everyone hates him, but it sounds like he's at least a hard worker. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Tackling-wise, he was Deion Sanders 2.0.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Not a good look, but also telling why we didn't pay him... While It would be nice to have him, I don't think McD can justify the money for a guy whose an ill fit for the scheme. I didn't watch much, let alone follow closely during the disaster of the Rex era, so I don't know why everyone hates him, but it sounds like he's at least a hard worker. 

Gilmore is very solid in zone coverage. Quarters coverage and Cover 3 he excels in

He can sometimes get lax in cover 2 but he can play any coverage in football at a high level

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wish we could just acknowledge that in their fervor to "right the ship" and with a lame duck GM that he did not trust, McDermott undervalued and let some talented players walk (and passed up some shots in the draft) that would be contributing well to our team.  Gilmore would be one.  Robert Woods would be another.  And in hindsight, we could have managed to keep both of them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

I still have Hogan burning him by five yards on a 53 yard TD with him looking back at the end blaming his team in my mind.  Nobody wept when we let him go.

That was one of the plays the fans overreacted on. He was supposed to have over the top support on that play. He turned around not to deflect blame but more to wonder why the defense called wasn't followed and how that happened.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

That was one of the plays the fans overreacted on. He was supposed to have over the top support on that play. He turned around not to deflect blame but more to wonder why the defense called wasn't followed and how that happened.

Rex even said after the game it was a tampa 2 call I believe

So the corner should play under the WR knowing he has a safety overtop

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Rex even said after the game it was a tampa 2 call I believe

So the corner should play under the WR knowing he has a safety overtop

Yup. It came out clear after the game that it was not his fault. He never would have ran the way he did if he was one on one with Hogan.

46 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Happy Gilmore 

When YOU don't live up to expectations

Look inward before you look outward 

Yes!!! People still think this.  Thank for Belichick took that bum off our hands.  He was holding this team back. Jerk didn’t even smile when he got drafted!

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m a weirdo but I would take the best cover corner over a bad cover cb who can tackle well.