Move Daboll to the box

I remember hearing that Daboll was going to move down to the field for games this year over the summer. At first I thought this was a good idea IF he and Josh have a good relationship. After watching them through the first half of the season, I don’t believe that’s the case. 

Id like to see someone who is a bit calmer and more positive as the first interaction Josh has when he comes off the field. Daboll yelling at Josh isn’t good for anyone. Many of us guys 40+ are managing a new generation. It’s not like it was before, even on the football field. Part of this is the amount of exposure and cameras everywhere.  I don’t see Daboll’s style working very well with younger players.

Daboll in the booth allows him some space from Josh after a mistake. The QB coach on the sideline keeps Josh focused and up. 

Daboll can rip Josh in the film room the next day away from cameras. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Daboll moved down to the sidelines after the Colts game last year

Ok. My bad. Well that game last year was the Colts ‘get right’ game. Kind of like yesterday may turn out to be the Eagles. 

It just doesn’t seem to be working this year. Play calling has not been great. Maybe the change up will help.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think it matters

I don't see how it can hurt.  He might be quicker to adjust his scheme if he can get the aerial view of what's happening as it happens. 

And I agree that at times, I think he's not constructive with Josh at times on the sideline.  He had a reputation at one point for "losing it" and just becoming an over the top screamer in Cleveland. 

Sometimes "calm breeds calm" is needed.  Last year we didn't have a "real" QB coach he could depend upon, this year supposedly we do.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't see how it can hurt.  He might be quicker to adjust his scheme if he can get the aerial view of what's happening as it happens. 

And I agree that at times, I think he's not constructive with Josh at times on the sideline.  He had a reputation at one point for "losing it" and just becoming an "over the top screamer".

Last year we didn't have a "real" QB coach he could depend upon, this year supposedly we do.

He’s been a bad OC every chance he’s gotten in the NFL. This is probably just who he is regardless of where he’s sitting. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s been a bad OC every chance he’s gotten in the NFL. This is probably just who he is regardless of where he’s sitting. 

You may be right, but it seems like something it couldn't hurt to try.

Daboll puzzles me, as I've said elsewhere.  At times, he has very well designed plays.  At times, he makes clever use of personnel.  At other times - Aye Carumba!  Overall he reminds me of the coaching version of Whaley's roster.  It's not that Whaley didn't bring in talented players.  He did.  (He whiffed on some, but so does every GM including Beane).  It's just that the sum total of the players and roster Whaley assembled never formed a complete team.

I think McDermott really needs to mix it in more on the O side of the ball and give his perspective from the D side into the play and gameplan design.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm losing faith in Daboll. His playcalling has been erratic this season (I'd say 40% positive plays, 60% negative). I do think that Daboll should go upstairs as it might help him with his playcalling. The first offensive series, Philly's D was stacked at the line waiting for the run, but the Bills still went ahead and tried to pound it out which was mindboggling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I'm losing faith in Daboll. His playcalling has been erratic this season (I'd say 40% positive plays, 60% negative). I do think that Daboll should go upstairs as it might help him with his playcalling. The first offensive series, Philly's D was stacked at the line waiting for the run, but the Bills still went ahead and tried to pound it out which was mindboggling.

This,

The Bills need a true #1 WR so teams will respect the pass and stop stacking the box

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think a big problem is not using Singletary enough, and even when they do bring him in, it's easy to see what's coming.  Swing passes, outside runs.  When Gore is in, you know the ball is being run up the middle.  When Singletary is in, the ball is going outside. too predictable with personnel

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You may be right, but it seems like something it couldn't hurt to try.

Daboll puzzles me, as I've said elsewhere.  At times, he has very well designed plays.  At times, he makes clever use of personnel.  At other times - Aye Carumba!  Overall he reminds me of the coaching version of Whaley's roster.  It's not that Whaley didn't bring in talented players.  He did.  (He whiffed on some, but so does every GM including Beane).  It's just that the sum total of the players and roster Whaley assembled never formed a complete team.

I think McDermott really needs to mix it in more on the O side of the ball and give his perspective from the D side into the play and gameplan design.

In the box or on the sidelines, I don’t expect the results to be any different. 

Just now, Bangarang said:

In the box or on the sidelines, I don’t expect the results to be any different. 

You've already made that point, and I already acknowledged you may be right, but a move seems like something it couldn't hurt to try.

Perhaps there is some new information or a counter argument you would like to advance?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You've already made that point, and I already acknowledged you may be right, but a move seems like something it couldn't hurt to try.

Perhaps there is some new information or a counter argument you would like to advance?

A counter to argument to what? I’m not against Daboll calling games from the box. There’s nothing to argue or no new information to discuss. Where an OC calls a game from comes down to personal preference. 

Edited by Bangarang

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I remember hearing that Daboll was going to move down to the field for games this year over the summer. At first I thought this was a good idea IF he and Josh have a good relationship. After watching them through the first half of the season, I don’t believe that’s the case. 

Id like to see someone who is a bit calmer and more positive as the first interaction Josh has when he comes off the field. Daboll yelling at Josh isn’t good for anyone. Many of us guys 40+ are managing a new generation. It’s not like it was before, even on the football field. Part of this is the amount of exposure and cameras everywhere.  I don’t see Daboll’s style working very well with younger players.

Daboll in the booth allows him some space from Josh after a mistake. The QB coach on the sideline keeps Josh focused and up. 

I'd put him in a box...outside the stadium with no comms inside

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

He also seemed to want to run right at Fletcher Cox, you would think running away from their best DL would be a better idea when trying to run

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Put him in the shout box so we can all tell him what an idiot he is in real time!

.....WHY?.....some pretty lofty accomplishments as OC elsewhere......

Wikipedia:

In 2009, Daboll joined Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland as offensive coordinator. Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009[1] and the 29th ranked offense in 2010.[2] Daboll was named Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Tony Sparano in 2011, with his Dolphins improving from 30th in the league to 20th in overall offense

50 minutes ago, dneveu said:

What is a true #1 WR?  

Who knows at this point? Whenever people talk about having a #1 WR they always point to the elite WRs as examples. If you’re holding out hope of finding the next Julio Jones to pair with Allen then good luck. 

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Many of us guys 40+ are managing a new generation. It’s not like it was before, even on the football field.

How many times a week do you give unsolicited rants about participation trophies and smartphones? Also, how often do you use the following words without irony:

Libtard

Snowflake

Haha, so Triggered

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Who knows at this point? Whenever people talk about having a #1 WR they always point to the elite WRs as examples. If you’re holding out hope of finding the next Julio Jones to pair with Allen then good luck. 

That's what I mean... Is Edelman a 1? Or kupp? What about Godwin or juju? Keenan Allen? Tyler lockett?

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

How many times a week do you give unsolicited rants about participation trophies and smartphones? Also, how often do you use the following words without irony:

Libtard

Snowflake

Haha, so Triggered

I don’t.

The point was that the previous ways of managing young men has changed. It’s changed everywhere. The football field might be one of the last places to see the change, but it’s happening. Daboll losing his cool won’t be received very well for very long.

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t.

The point was that the previous ways of managing young men has changed. It’s changed everywhere. The football field might be one of the last places to see the change, but it’s happening. Daboll losing his cool won’t be received very well for very long.

I get what you mean.

It has always been a bad idea to increase the stress level of a person who is already not performing well under stress.   It is a bad idea and a sign of bad coaching.   Always has been - always will be.  Humans haven't changed.

It might be effective if you are punishing a player for lack of effort (like a guy taking plays off or being afraid to make a tackle).   But if the effort is there and the player is not executing, increasing his stress will likely result in even worse performance.    It is the wrong approach in my opinion and shows lack of emotional control.   I expect the yelling approach would be even more counterproductive for a position like quarterback.

And for a coaching staff promoting the ways of stoicism, it is about as anti-stoic as you can get.    Dabol is no stoic.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I get what you mean.

It has always been a bad idea to increase the stress level of a person who is already not performing well under stress.   It is a bad idea and a sign of bad coaching.   Always has been - always will be.  Humans haven't changed.

It might be effective if you are punishing a player for lack of effort (like a guy taking plays off or being afraid to make a tackle).   But if the effort is there and the player is not executing, increasing his stress will likely result in even worse performance.    It is the wrong approach in my opinion and shows lack of emotional control.   I expect the yelling approach would be even more counterproductive for a position like quarterback.

And for a coaching staff promoting the ways of stoicism, it is about as anti-stoic as you can get.    Dabol is no stoic.

Very well said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....WHY?.....some pretty lofty accomplishments as OC elsewhere......

Wikipedia:

In 2009, Daboll joined Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland as offensive coordinator. Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009[1] and the 29th ranked offense in 2010.[2] Daboll was named Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Tony Sparano in 2011, with his Dolphins improving from 30th in the league to 20th in overall offense

LOL right?

This choice is looking more and more strange every week.

Fun Fact: 17 NFL TE's have at least 21 catches.  The Bills 4 TE's, combined, have 21 catches.

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Seriously?   How about designated safe space booths on the sidelines?  I mean just in case fans boo and coaches yell.

Dabol is doing poorly without consideration to yelling which I have never heard to be a problem. 

His playcalling and preparation are what is under scrutiny.  

Edited by Bob in STL

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL right?

This choice is looking more and more strange every week.

Fun Fact: 17 NFL TE's have at least 21 catches.  The Bills 4 TE's, combined, have 21 catches.

...pretty sad when it looks like we could have TWO good kids in Knox & Sweeney......Dabumble lasted two years with Mangini in Cleveland and then the regime change......one year with Sporano/Fins and then out....one year with Crennell in KC and not retained.....guy is traveled like the NBA's Larry Brown....last year he got a pass due to "the personnel"......despite upgrades on the offense, must STILL be "the personnel" because you cannot question his pedigree, right??.............

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty sad when it looks like we could have TWO good kids in Knox & Sweeney......Dabumble lasted two years with Mangini in Cleveland and then the regime change......one year with Sporano/Fins and then out....one year with Crennell in KC and not retained.....guy is traveled like the NBA's Larry Brown....last year he got a pass due to "the personnel"......despite upgrades on the offense, must STILL be "the personnel" because you cannot question his pedigree, right??.............

Larry Brown coached and won at every level.  Daboll is  the guy in the back row of every team staff picture ("from left...").

• Haha (+1) 2