Buffalo Bills pushing to expand brand north (and east)

On 10/22/2019 at 9:39 AM, RochesterRob said:

I've been banging that drum for years.  The healthier the Bills are financially the less likely that they get moved at some point in the future.  As for Toronto I don't see any reason to be concerned about that.  Maybe play a preseason game there every other year.  With the Bills on an upswing no regular season home games will be played away from OP barring a weather event like we saw a few years ago.  If there was a forecast for a very down year I could see one late season game played in the dome at SU.  Not very likely but not impossible either.

Bills will need to take their turn having "home" game on international series.  I am guessing based on last trip discounting game results most posters would prefer England.

This week the Bills-Eagles game is being broadcast in Syracuse, but the Giants-Lions game is being broadcast in Utica. 

I guess that defines the border of Bills country versus Giants country.

In my opinion, the younger folks around Utica are mostly Bills fans, but the old guard still prefers the Giants.  They don’t care about that upstart AFL team.  

I’m a little surprised that the Fox folks picked the Giants when the Bills are having a much better season so far. 

I am a Buffalo native who lives in the North Country.  The Fox and CBS stations are owned by the same company.  Usually we get the Bills unless the Giants are playing on the same network as the Bills  and they will always carry the Giants game.  Fortunately our cable system carries CTV, and they usually carry the Bills game, [Thanks Ralph Wilson for once].

Edited by BearNorth

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

I am a Buffalo native who lives in the North Country.  The Fox and CBS stations are owned by the same company.  Usually we get the Bills unless the Giants are playing on the same network as the Bills  and they will always carry the Giants game.  Fortunately our cable system carries CTV, and they usually carry the Bills game, [Thanks Ralph Wilson for once].

It has been great that CTV always carries bills game that are played at 1 pm.  Do you see this changing anytime soon?

On 10/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, sir andrew said:

I gotta say, I was surprised how much Bills gear I saw when I was out in Albany last month.  Of course, having the Jets and Giants both be terrible probably helps matters.

....and of course.....in NEW JERSEY! 

?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:
On 10/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

They can take our preseason games. 

'But they can't take our freedom!!'

?

Wow... that was actually funny.  

good job 

7 hours ago, NC Book said:

When wegmans opened here in Raleigh a few weeks ago, there was more Bills gear than any team of any sport. People were singing the shout song! It was incredible. 

It's a CARY thing

Containment Area Relocated Yankees 

:lol:

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

On 10/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I wear my Bills cap(s) every day.    and nearly every day someone says  go bills when they see me.

Even non Bills fans 

Same man! There are actually a lot of Bills fans around Albany and north of it. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, RochesterRob said:

I don't know about Bills Mafia but your other points are salient.  The Jets in Cortland was always about another drop in the bucket for their marketing but yet it put a stain on the Bills' ambitions.  Area media talked about the Jets because they had nothing else to fill the time in the news/sports cast and now the Jets are treated as outsiders if mentioned at all.

Not to be morbid, but I think (well, I wouldn't be surprised, let's put it that way) that whole Jets/Cortland thing was put together to set up a beach head in Upstate as Ralph neared the end of his life, and there was just so much uncertainty as to where the Bills would end up.  If the Bills had ended up in Toronto or San Antonio...PRESTO!  Instant NFL Franchise!  This place would have been "Gang Green del Norte".  It's a fading memory, as it's already been 10 years since they set up shop in Cortland, but - let's face it - the Bills were BAD in those years.  Why not scratch around in someone else's turf?  It just didn't work out that way.   Pegula purchased the Bills in 2014, and the Jets disappeared from Cortland like a fart in a hurricane as soon as the purchase was announced.  Makes you feel a little bad for the city fathers in Cortland, but I'm not going to lose a LOT of sleep over it.

13 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

Not to be morbid, but I think (well, I wouldn't be surprised, let's put it that way) that whole Jets/Cortland thing was put together to set up a beach head in Upstate as Ralph neared the end of his life, and there was just so much uncertainty as to where the Bills would end up.  If the Bills had ended up in Toronto or San Antonio...PRESTO!  Instant NFL Franchise!  This place would have been "Gang Green del Norte".  It's a fading memory, as it's already been 10 years since they set up shop in Cortland, but - let's face it - the Bills were BAD in those years.  Why not scratch around in someone else's turf?  It just didn't work out that way.   Pegula purchased the Bills in 2014, and the Jets disappeared from Cortland like a fart in a hurricane as soon as the purchase was announced.  Makes you feel a little bad for the city fathers in Cortland, but I'm not going to lose a LOT of sleep over it.

The Jets no doubt were expecting the Bills to leave WNY when they set up shop in Cortland.  

14 hours ago, billsherd said:

It has been great that CTV always carries bills game that are played at 1 pm.  Do you see this changing anytime soon?

No, in Toronto they always want to simulcast the American feed. Though some years when the Bills had a bad record, CTV would air different games at that time towards the end of the season (but would try to simulcast the FOX game if it aired at the same time). Americans: its a Canadian practice when a Canadian station airs the same show at the same time as a US station, the Canadian feed takes over both channels. So if I watch the Bills game on CBS, it will feature all the CTV commercials.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

In the 1990s there was a train that went across the state for some Bills home games (The Bills Express), starting in Rensselaer and stopping in Schenectady, Utica, Syracuse, & Rochester.   It would arrive in Depew & fans would be bused to Orchard Park.  There was even talk of adding a train station in OP for game day fans to arrive by train.  As the Bills stopped making the playoffs, the train attendance went down to the point it was not economically feasible to continue operating it.  I remember being on one of the last train rides.  The train only had 2 cars.  When I arrived at the Schenectady station to wait for the train nobody else was there.  Eventually a few more people showed up before the train arrived, but it was pretty obvious that the Bills bandwagon had slowed quite a bit in the Capital District.  

Wasn’t talk here are the pictures of the proposed train station. These days that train line is out of service and it would cost a bit to get the line reactivated, but I do believe if they were to keep the stadium where it is a train station may be reconsidered.

3D256701-4304-4A6F-BCF1-5FE915DED670.jpeg

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is amazing how much the government is willing to redirect our tax money to roads & airports and how little they support railways which when done right are a lot more efficient way of transporting people and cargo if you include the vehicles/parking/etc.

I’m a big train enthusiast and it’s been that way since the 50s. Gov has prioritized air and auto big time despite the advantage of rail.

The sad thing about that train line next to the stadium is it no longer exists past Orchard Park. In the late 90s some local leaders had the idea of keeping the line intact which goes wayyy into the southern tier so the train could stop at the Bills games from both directions and also bring trains out to kissing bridge or just Fall Foliage rides and also provide people in the Southern Tier rides into Buffalo. Sadly that project died due to the RR not needing the line nor carrying about it and the state not prioritizing it high enough to save. Ironically now with the development downtown in Buffalo and the regionalization of the team to Rochester and Ontario they have wasted a great resource to move people to all the things I listed.

end of my non bills related comment

Edited by corta765

On 10/22/2019 at 9:05 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t want anymore Bills fans.  It seems like there are 9 billion fans already.  We are full!

Just wait until we win the SB and the bandwagon fans hop aboard. 

On 10/22/2019 at 5:58 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just don't ever go messing with our home game playing sites again!! One Toronto cash grab over the life of the franchise was enough. 

I agree and I am a Canadian Bills fan. That was a disaster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just don't ever go messing with our home game playing sites again!! One Toronto cash grab over the life of the franchise was enough. 

Unfortunately we will be losing at least one home game in the future because every nfl team has to host a game in London . Complete bulls*#t!

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, billspro said:

Just to be clear, I heart me some Canada and all the Bills fans from there, but that move just made the Bills look like an in-limbo franchise that was suffering from a lack of direction and tone deaf management. 

41 minutes ago, billspro said:

..the whole Brandon marketing push for the Toronto series was to hopefully attract Canadian investors interested in keeping the club presumably in Buffalo/WNY when RW eventually passed in concert with WNY investors......Kelly's Group was a ruse..........

• 2 weeks later...