Every Bills sack of the game (Something I haven't seen for a while)

9 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

It might just be me, but i tend to think Darnold hold the ball a bit to long.  They always talk about the qb having that internal clock in his head.  I think he's a good player, but maybe something he missing.

He had like 5 telegraphed passes that got batted down too.  So he was either holding it, or throwing it to his first read.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Everyone talks about Hughes today (as they should), but let me tell you The Lorax is going to have one hell of a final season.

What a consummate professional and has absolutely bought in to what McD has been trying to build here, with a motor to boot that Father Time has had just as much trouble corralling as Marcia! Class act! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

It might just be me, but i tend to think Darnold hold the ball a bit to long.  They always talk about the qb having that internal clock in his head.  I think he's a good player, but maybe something he missing.

....or the Bills could be good.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

What a consummate professional and has absolutely bought in to what McD has been trying to build here, with a motor to boot that Father Time has had just as much trouble corralling as Marcia! Class act! 

Winning is so much fun, HUDS!  Remember when we weren't winning?  That was not much fun.  

This is a lot more fun.

?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1st sack - Jets double team Oliver leaving everybody else singled up. Millano does a nice spin move to beat his guy from the front side. Darnold sees this and moves to his blind side, right into Hughes' waiting arms.

2nd sack - Jets double Star while the Bills send a 5th rusher - Poyer. Poyer comes totally free from the right side. Hughes also beats his man cleanly. Poyer gets there first and notches the sack.

3rd sack - Darnold actually has plenty of time here, over 3 seconds to find somebody. Eventually Shaq comes free, followed by Alexander. Shaq chases him down and notches the sack. Secondary obviously did a fine job on this one as Darnold should have been able to find somebody in the time he had.

4th sack - Jets have 3 blocking 2 in the middle vs. Oliver and Alexander. They start out doubling Alexander before switching it up to Oliver. This leaves Alexander one on one. Despite double team Oliver still pushes the pocket. At the same time Hughes pushes his guy right back into Darnold's lap. Darnold tries to find a place to get away to and ends up right in Alexander and Hughes' grasp.

Hughes has to be loving this. He's seeing single teams now. I'd imagine at some point in the near future we're going to see them slide help to Hughes side and it will be on Oliver, Murphy and Star to get the job done.

One thing is obvious, teams are giving Oliver a lot of attention. 

Edited by MDH
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The only difference this year is Oliver. I've been saying all along he will immediately make the pass rush something respectable. With Oliver collapsing the pocket, Hughes doesn't have to try to chase QBs across the entire field. He had Darnold rattled all day long. Eventually he'll figure out how to finish on his own, and then look out.

15 minutes ago, MDH said:

1st sack - Jets double team Oliver leaving everybody else singled up. Millano does a nice spin move to beat his guy from the front side. Darnold sees this and moves to his blind side, right into Hughes' waiting arms.

2nd sack - Jets double Star while the Bills send a 5th rusher - Poyer. Poyer comes totally free from the right side. Hughes also beats his man cleanly. Poyer gets there first and notches the sack.

3rd sack - Darnold actually has plenty of time here, over 3 seconds to find somebody. Eventually Shaq comes free, followed by Alexander. Shaq chases him down and notches the sack. Secondary obviously did a fine job on this one as Darnold should have been able to find somebody in the time he had.

4th sack - Jets have 3 blocking 2 in the middle vs. Oliver and Alexander. They start out doubling Alexander before switching it up to Oliver. This leaves Alexander one on one. Despite double team Oliver still pushes the pocket. At the same time Hughes pushes his guy right back into Darnold's lap. Darnold tries to find a place to get away to and ends up right in Alexander and Hughes' grasp.

Hughes has to be loving this. He's seeing single teams now. I'd imagine at some point in the near future we're going to see them slide help to Hughes side and it will be on Oliver, Murphy and Star to get the job done.

One thing is obvious, teams are giving Oliver a lot of attention. 

The 4th sack where Oliver and Zo lined up at DT is the Bills specific pass rush package that they worked on a lot in camp according to Astro and others. 

Teams are gonna have to pick their poison when the Bills send those 4 - Murphy, Zo, Oliver and Jerry. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this.  Something I haven't seen for a while: Bills earn enough sacks to warrant its own video

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-bills-sack-against-sam-darnold-week-1

Crack a cold one, sit back, and enjoy!

Just heard Capaccio say on GR we blitzed something like 14 times out of 40 dropbacks.

Unheard of for a recent Bills D.

Was exciting to watch.

Also  the Bills had like 6 plays over 20 yds,  the jests 0.

No link, was on WGR.

7 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Just heard Capaccio say on GR we blitzed something like 14 times out of 40 dropbacks.

Unheard of for a recent Bills D.

Was exciting to watch.

Also  the Bills had like 6 plays over 20 yds,  the jests 0.

No link, was on WGR.

You should blitz young QBs honestly - allen/jackson/murray are always going to be tough to blitz because of their athleticism.  If they escape pressure you have less coverage down field and they have more space to run.

That's awesome I love the last one with Trent Murphy jumping in the pile just wanting some of the action too. Should have 1 more sack from yesterday when Oliver ran right past Darnold  for an easy sack.  I don't have the video of it but he was in the back field so fast he ran right past him. 

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Winning is so much fun, HUDS!  Remember when we weren't winning?  That was not much fun.  

This is a lot more fun.

?

Hopefully after next week McD will be back to a .500 career record with us, and THEN we can really get back to talking about him being a winning coach.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Anyone else notice how quickly the whistles were blown when he got touched? 

Not the escapes but when the pocket collapsed around him. Seemed like a soon as a defender was on him they blew it. 

Yeah I noticed that too. Like literally with 1 second of them getting their hands on him. I was worried a couple times we might have gotten flagged as our guys weren't quick to let him go.

i'm still looking for video on the play but did anyone notice when we had an edge rusher run right Darnold uncontested and by the time he came back Darnold had gotten rid of the ball.  I couldn't tell if they thought he didn't have the ball or was worried about a RtP call but if they had run directly at him could have been probably the cleanest sack of the game.

19 minutes ago, DB_Jelly said:

That's awesome I love the last one with Trent Murphy jumping in the pile just wanting some of the action too. Should have 1 more sack from yesterday when Oliver ran right past Darnold  for an easy sack.  I don't have the video of it but he was in the back field so fast he ran right past him. 

he definitely motored in there quickly.  he just got to ahead of himself, but wow did he get there fast.