DirecTv Sunday Ticket- Potential big issues

Beast

Sorry guys, just made it home.  I saw the 6 messages.  I haven’t enrolled, but e-mailed them to confirm I can get the Bills, even pre-season for this of us who don’t live near Buffalo, vs. waiting the replay on NFL TV.

I googled Prime Tyme TV.  The site came up and the6 indicate you can get on up to four devices for $25/mo. 800 US channels.  My TV guy told me it worked for him last year.  I’ll let you know when they respond.

12 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

Use an attenna 

all out of market games will be on the 700+ stations where you find all the games 

What do you mean? Where do you get an antenna that gets all local channels from across the country?

9 hours ago, jletha said:

YouTube TV has every sports channel you'd ever want PLUS all local channels and basically everything else youd ever need and all you need is the internet and an AppleTV/Roku thing.  I split $50/month with my brother because each account gives you 6 screens. It is perfect 720p picture, never lags or buffers and it completely live with unlimited DVR.

I HIGHLY recommend YoutubeTv, it has been awesome.

It doesn't have NFL Network...

if you subscribe to NFL ST you should get all games unless blacked out in your area.   This will get resolved before the start of NFL season right now all your missing is Bachelorette 25, amazing race around the water, may other bull#### reality TV shows etc etc etc

10 hours ago, GG said:

In which markets?  I'm not aware of any blackouts from February.  AT&T currently blocks CBS-owned and Nexstar local stations.

BTW, these transmission agreements are the biggest reason your cable bills are so high.

I used to work for Verizon and the cable bills are so high because they try to soak you for as much as you can. 

When you leave they have a trick - they have someone talk to you about a deal and then after you get bill they said that package was not approved for you and try to sell you another package with higher price that had the same items on it.

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

What do you mean? Where do you get an antenna that gets all local channels from across the country?

It doesn't have NFL Network...

If you have directv and Sunday ticket you would need an antenna for the local broadcast but all out of market games would be on the Sunday ticket channels which is number 700-715 I believe 

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I used to work for Verizon and the cable bills are so high because they try to soak you for as much as you can. 

When you leave they have a trick - they have someone talk to you about a deal and then after you get bill they said that package was not approved for you and try to sell you another package with higher price that had the same items on it.

The bill is high because the costs to carry the channels are high.   If you add up the 4 broadcast networks to the other channels that charge carriage fees, the cost easily hits $30 just for the basic cable channels.  ESPN alone is about $6/month.   If the cable company is offering you 100 channels, they are probably paying $50 for those channels.   Then add in the cost of running the network and service.

I work for a major Cable Company and honestly they can't wait to move on from TV broadcasting. HSD is the bread and butter now. Everyone cuts the cable just to get faster HSD which costs the company pennies compared to Broadcasting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

if you subscribe to NFL ST you should get all games unless blacked out in your area.   This will get resolved before the start of NFL season right now all your missing is Bachelorette 25, amazing race around the water, may other bull#### reality TV shows etc etc etc

Don’t be so sure. ABC has been gone since an hour before Game 1 of the NBA Finals with no end in sight. CBS gone for a month. 

Lots of people are going to be to be very surprised when they can’t see the preseason Bills games on ABC nor the regular season ones on CBS. Even more fun when the Sunday Ticket channel for the game is blacked out and Game Search brings you over to the “We are as frustrated as you are!” blackout screen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, sabres431 said:

FOX has been blacked out since February.  I don't see how you think it will be resolved soon.

I have a feeling it will be by September, in time for the NFL season, otherwise there will be a ton on angry customers, and most will quit DirecTV.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thronethinker said:

I work for a major Cable Company and honestly they can't wait to move on from TV broadcasting. HSD is the bread and butter now. Everyone cuts the cable just to get faster HSD which costs the company pennies compared to Broadcasting. 

What's stopping companies like Spectrum from offering a streaming only service for people who don’t want to pay $8 per month for a cable box on each tv?

On 7/29/2019 at 11:21 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Looking for anyone’s insight concerning this issue....if anyone has heard any information.

Subscribers to DirecTv know that many have lost, or will lose, local channels, which carry NFL games. Here in the Binghamton area, we have lost FOX, NBC, ABC and the rumor is we are about to lose CBS.

With starting that, how in hell will DirecTv be able to air any games at all? The only station left that carries games will be ESPN, and that has nothing to do with the Sunday Ticket.

It seems like the NFL should be able to pull the rights away from DirecTv.

I am getting rid of this come the beginning of September if the local channels aren’t back on the air and I highly doubt they will be with the way this company does business since AT&T took over.

Damn, how can you lose all that and we only lose CBS ??

On 7/29/2019 at 11:33 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Same concerns in Southern California. CBS is currently blacked out with DTV and are supposedly negotiating? This will effect Sunday Ticket. 

thats BS, if you pay for ticket, you should get all the games, otherwise whats the point?!

On 7/29/2019 at 11:36 PM, GG said:

Only CBS-owned stations are blacked out on DrecTV and Uverse.   Sunday Ticket doesn’t show games that are on your local CBS feed, so the current blackout of CBS-owned stations shouldn’t affect Sunday Ticket games.  You won’t be able to watch the games on local CBS station on DTV, though.

They’ll resolve it soon anyway.

they friggin better. I m super pissed right now as im missing Worlds Strongest Man which is my current favorite sport.

22 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is 100% accurate. For instance, in Richmond , Nexstar only owns the ABC affiliate. 

Trust me, this will be worked out before football starts..you can bet your right nut on that

i thought that two weeks ago, its been a month already and im missing more than football.

i keep looking for updates on this resolution and it s been crickets.

21 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, obviously they don’t give a *****. I went on their FB page and read comments that their customer service people are actually telling people to drop DirecTv if they are unhappy.

Since AT&T took over, that company has changed in a bad way.

Definitely more expensive.

If spectrum had more than two shows you could record at once i would have switched already. I still might if this continues.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, major said:

This is spot on. I called to get my bill down, which I did, but their rep kept saying drop us if you want to. I’m not in a contract with them -in fact, I said I would try their cheaper bill for one month and then probably call to cancel. I’ve been a 21 year customer of direct tv and can’t believe how far they’ve sunk 

Hell i couldn't even get a discount, didn't help that it was some Indian who i had to explain multiple times that CBS was dropped from dtv, as he kept asking me if the channel was coming in.

19 hours ago, sabres431 said:

FOX has been blacked out since February.  I don't see how you think it will be resolved soon.

what the ....

How is this so regional??

18 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

TV is a thing of the past. Time to let everyone just buy live packages for the sports they want - everything should just be internet based anyway.

And just get the channels i want.

17 hours ago, jletha said:

YouTube TV has every sports channel you'd ever want PLUS all local channels and basically everything else youd ever need and all you need is the internet and an AppleTV/Roku thing.  I split $50/month with my brother because each account gives you 6 screens. It is perfect 720p picture, never lags or buffers and it completely live with unlimited DVR.

I HIGHLY recommend YoutubeTv, it has been awesome.

i m so behind in technology that im still concerned about recording stuff and watching it latter. I m wondering does YouTube have this option or is everything live? I watch 90% of my shows recorded for latter.

Back when Time Warner cut one a more channels many of us wrote to our State Senators and PSC to complain. They put pressure on TW and it worked. It would have to be resolved before the regular season ,  no  doubt in my mind.  

6 hours ago, thronethinker said:

whats HSD? (Im starting to sound like my parents lol)

• Haha (+1) 1

High Speed Data ,  internet ?

I'm old,  still  get the Buffalo News delivered. Cutting the cord and going all internet would be too big of a challenge for me.

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i m so behind in technology that im still concerned about recording stuff and watching it latter. I m wondering does YouTube have this option or is everything live? I watch 90% of my shows recorded for latter.

there are absolutely options to record streaming stuff now. Tivo and Fire both have devices if you want a physical box, and PLayOn is a cloud based DVR.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

there are absolutely options to record streaming stuff now. Tivo and Fire both have devices if you want a physical box, and PLayOn is a cloud based DVR.

I'm damn close to reducing my DTV subscription to the bare minimum just to keep Sunday Ticket, and going the streaming route for everything else.

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The great thing is most everything is streaming, so think of a netflix-type situation.

My wife likes "this is us".  She doesnt watch it live, the new episode is added immediately to watch.... or any other episode previous.

These services also offer dvr functions.  I know they are somewhat limited, as it is cloud-based, so you can't hoard 500 hours of content.  Hulu Live gives me 50 hours, but i think i could pay more for larger storage.  If its 9 o clock and i turn on the 7:00 indians game, it automatically starts me from the beginning of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

I'm damn close to reducing my DTV subscription to the bare minimum just to keep Sunday Ticket, and going the streaming route for everything else.

if you have not made your call yet( i have not) , last year was easy as hell to get my needed discounts when i kindly pointed out them of my $110 bill, nearly $60 was in equipment and protections plans and the such, not content. I told them i have sling in DC.. Sling is $30a month, i get 5 TVs instead of 4 !, have an online DVR so need for Genie 0t whole home stuff, and I have zero equipment so no protection plan. That is what they know hurts them, and drives their bills through the roof. Last year took me about 5 minutes to get $60 credit per month and free STMAX..al expiring this month.

I mean they can say leave, or what have you, but what are they gunna do with all that used equipment? Its a sunk cost, not going to refurbished or ever used again..may as well get the content fees out us

Will see if it works this year

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ALF said:

High Speed Data ,  internet ?

I'm old,  still  get the Buffalo News delivered. Cutting the cord and going all internet would be too big of a challenge for me.

Haha, sounds like you should get a rotating digital antenna on the roof to re-live the 70's! It works well for me, has a 70 mile range (even though it says 150) but the picture is good.

• Like (+1) 1

Idk why people keep flipping if you have Sunday ticket you get all out of market games - if the game is a local broadcast and you live in buffalo/Rochester  you just need an antenna if that channel is blocked.

its just like it always has been. I live in Texas so I can’t use the Sunday ticket channels to watch let’s say a cowboys game - I would have to use the local channel instead 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It has unlimited DVR so you can record whatever you want, whenever you want. Since its just an app, you can have it on your phone too and set things to record on your phone or watch your recorded things on your phone as well.

• Like (+1) 1

I just got off chat with DirecTV(AT&T).  I was given a one $15 credit for the broadcast issues, $20/month off for 12 months, and a free local channel connector.  I was then transferred to the NFL Saves person who told me there were no discounts available but to try calling back closer to the season. 

11 minutes ago, sabres431 said:

I just got off chat with DirecTV(AT&T).  I was given a one $15 credit for the broadcast issues, $20/month off for 12 months, and a free local channel connector.  I was then transferred to the NFL Saves person who told me there were no discounts available but to try calling back closer to the season. 

There are discounts available. I got $60 month; $16.50 off Sunday ticket and free movie channels for 3 months

1 hour ago, nucci said:

There are discounts available. I got $60 month; $16.50 off Sunday ticket and free movie channels for 3 months

The rep "claimed" that the discounts are generated by the system.  I said I've seen people who have gotten discounts or even ST for free and she continued to say there were none.

1 minute ago, sabres431 said:

The rep "claimed" that the discounts are generated by the system.  I said I've seen people who have gotten discounts or even ST for free and she continued to say there were none.

ask for loyalty dept. it's a pain but worth it

Edited by nucci

I'm close to giving up cable and satellite. Cost vs pleasure is issue. Might consider it because MSG for Sabres game is really only thing I hang in there for. Wife watches some cable news stuff.

On a similar note. I looked at getting the Sunday Ticket streaming service. But was declined because of my region, I guess...

I just moved to Saratoga Springs, currently cutting the chord. Anybody have options for getting an HD feed for Bills games. I really don't want to watch a crappy grainy feed every week, or drop 50 bucks a Sunday having a few pops and a snack. 

Cheers. 

This following is completely unrealistic, but it makes my point... If I had an antenna that was say a mile high (haven't calculated the real height) I could get most of the over the air broadcasts. That would include all NFL games. All games are floating around in space somewhere, and if the technology existed I would be able to watch any game by tuning into the over the air local broadcast.

This is why I cannot wrap my head around why all channels, that are broadcasted over the air, should not be available to me. Just because I don't live in Buffalo, I cannot watch the ONLY team I care about without paying my first born. When those of you fortunate enough to still live there can see it for free. Moving to Buffalo is not an option. :D

Want to become rich enough to buy your own team? Develop the tech to capture all over the air broadcasts.

Edited by MikeSpeed
  • Like (+1) 1