DirecTv Sunday Ticket- Potential big issues

Beast

14 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

This will be a non issue. Your thinking of two completely separate broadcast rights. The only thing that would be blacked out is local games, which were blacked out on DTV Sunday Ticket anyways. That amounts to two or three games a week subject to blackout, which are the two or three carried by your local CBS and FOX affiliates. The remaining games weren’t blacked out then, and will not be now. The local CBS and FOX affiliates only have the rights to air one game locally each at a time. Those will be the ones subject to blackout. 

^^^

10 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Sadly for me, I’m in the NYC tri state area where Jets and Giants are the local teams. Those are our first 2 games of the season!! Could you believe if I couldn’t watch? 

This is what makes this NOT "a non issue".  If your favorite team, ie Bills, play a team that's considered a local team, you lose that game.  For Nick, it's NOT just the first 2 games of the season but also the second Bills-Jets game -- and potentially the Bills game when the Jets have a bye unless both teams have their byes during the same week.  There's a lesser chance that another Bills game might also be lost if the Bills played one of the other NFL East teams during the Giants' bye week and the local FOX affiliate picked up that game.

IIRC, the local stations in the Binghamton area where Beast lives also consider the Jets and Giants as their "local teams".

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

How will it not effect out of market games when DirecTv has stopped carrying those networks around most of the country?

The games are broadcast nationally by CBS and FOX, then local affiliates, then pick it up to broadcast locally to them.  So as was stated, you'll just lose the local games.  But for the OP living in the Birmingham area, could be many Bills games.  Certainly the  locals are either going to pick up the Bills, or Jet's or Giants.  Since the 1st two games they play each other, an antenna may be the only option.

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is 100% accurate. For instance, in Richmond , Nexstar only owns the ABC affiliate. 

Trust me, this will be worked out before football starts..you can bet your right nut on that

I live in NC and about 5 years ago DTV and the local NBC station had a little tiff and was off the DTV lineup.  But shockingly the contract was resolved about three hours before kickoff and the games were on.  About 3 years ago, last year I had DTV as a matter of fact, same thing happened with local FOX network.  Figured same thing would happen and all would be resolved by opening kickoff.  Not this time.  Went on about 3 to 4 weeks into the season no games on Fox.  The remaining games were all on DTV in the 800 range, but whatever games were broadcast locally, you were out of luck unless you had an antenna.  So wouldn't say it will be worked out!

Just remember, DTV is doing this for you the consumer so the local stations don't charge unreasonable broadcast fees!!  Call your local stations and complain to them!!

What I don't understand is this happens once in awhile with cable, but seems like it's becoming a regular thing and for longer periods of time with DTV.

Not that it bothers me as 2 1/2 years ago dumped DTV, now have an antenna with TIVO and good old Reddit for their version of Sunday Ticket.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Good luck with that.

Call them and demand they not black put football games in your region BECAUSE they failed to provide services of local channels.  (Good luck with that.)

Yeah, obviously they don’t give a *****. I went on their FB page and read comments that their customer service people are actually telling people to drop DirecTv if they are unhappy.

Since AT&T took over, that company has changed in a bad way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, obviously they don’t give a *****. I went on their FB page and read comments that their customer service people are actually telling people to drop DirecTv if they are unhappy.

Since AT&T took over, that company has changed in a bad way.

that company has changed.  The level of "in a bad way" is subjective. 

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I live in NC and about 5 years ago DTV and the local NBC station had a little tiff and was off the DTV lineup.  But shockingly the contract was resolved about three hours before kickoff and the games were on.  About 3 years ago, last year I had DTV as a matter of fact, same thing happened with local FOX network.  Figured same thing would happen and all would be resolved by opening kickoff.  Not this time.  Went on about 3 to 4 weeks into the season no games on Fox. 

i think the difference this time is just how large Nexstar is..they own like 180 stations...prolly a good chuck  of them Fox and CBS affiliates. Both sides will get murdered if regular season games are blacked out. I would even suspect they are waiting to see what happens on the preseason games..both national and local. Nest Thursday i assume CBS has the Hall of Fame game...people gunna be pissed if first NFL action of the year is blacked out.

Can take that to the local games as well. In Richmond, ABC broadcasts the Skins preseason games...gunna be some cranky people if that first preseon games is not on..

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Shirley, you jest!!!

Not unless he has a Syracuse Zip Code. 

I forgot to mention......    Do you have a "newer" TV?       Purchase a DIGITAL antenna for watching Local TV stations 

He can replace the dish with a digital antenna and pick up CBS in a park closer to Buffalo

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He can replace the dish with a digital antenna and pick up CBS in a park closer to Buffalo

the correct answer is digital antenna.  (somewhat)

What is confusing the topic ....  (or I read this whole thing wrong) 

His local stations are blacked out and he can't get the Bills because of it.  IF he is watching  (or has the ability to) Bills games on the local affiliate the digital antenna works from home.   No need to get closer to Buffalo.  

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the correct answer is digital antenna.  (somewhat)

What is confusing the topic ....  (or I read this whole thing wrong) 

His local stations are blacked out and he can't get the Bills because of it.  IF he is watching  (or has the ability to) Bills games on the local affiliate the digital antenna works from home.   No need to get closer to Buffalo.  

They aren’t blacked out.  DTV won’t carry CBS.  

I thought the guy said he was somewhere where there is no over the air reception for network broadcast  

Not sure what this is.  Directv has local channels with the exception of sometimes you lose a station temporarily over contract disputes and as far as I can tell is never permanent.   Sometimes inconvenient, sure.  Directv is not planning to dump all network channels are they?

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Since I moved to a place for work I can’t get Direct TV, so the installer of my TV’s told me about a Canadian website that is legit costs $25 a month and you can get all the games.  I know not the best to watch on an I Pad, but it’s that or go to a freakin bar which I don’t want to do.

With a little work you can get it on the tv....

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

They aren’t blacked out.  DTV won’t carry CBS.  

I thought the guy said he was somewhere where there is no over the air reception for network broadcast  

"blacked out" as in  selling out the stadium requirement has changed recently 

Lets say he can get the local feeds on DTV.   I'll use the local DC area as an example.  

IF  the Bills were playing in Washington DC or Baltimore, 99.999% of the time the local affiliate will carry the game, then the NFL Ticket allocated channel (say 705) is "blacked out" because the game is being aired locally.

Blacked out games on NFL SUNDAY TICKET In general, you receive all games outside your local market unless your local FOX or CBS station shows the game. A regular season Sunday afternoon home game could also be blacked out in the home team's territory if the game fails to sell out 72 hours before kickoff.

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Not sure what this is.  Directv has local channels with the exception of sometimes you lose a station temporarily over contract disputes and as far as I can tell is never permanent.   Sometimes inconvenient, sure.  Directv is not planning to dump all network channels are they?

With a little work you can get it on the tv....

Well, currently certain markets have lost FOX and CBS on DIRECTV. It has been on going for weeks now with no end in sight.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

"blacked out" as in  selling out the stadium requirement has changed recently 

Lets say he can get the local feeds on DTV.   I'll use the local DC area as an example.  

IF  the Bills were playing in Washington DC or Baltimore, 99.999% of the time the local affiliate will carry the game, then the NFL Ticket allocated channel (say 705) is "blacked out" because the game is being aired locally.

Blacked out games on NFL SUNDAY TICKET In general, you receive all games outside your local market unless your local FOX or CBS station shows the game. A regular season Sunday afternoon home game could also be blacked out in the home team's territory if the game fails to sell out 72 hours before kickoff.

The issue is that DTV refuses to carry his CBS affiliate at all...

• Awesome! (+1) 1