TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Complete

Virgil

31 minutes ago, billspro said:

I can’t believe I missed out on this. It was so fun last year. Still interested to see how it turns out. 

I think I will be banging the table for Metcalf when the Bills are on the clock.

We will do another one starting later in the week. I’ll do as many as supports interest 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

For current and future GM's, we really appreciate when you write a short little blurb about your thinking behind your pick. 

This is fun. 

I second this. 

Would love some explanation as to the thought process that went into the pick, or to hear what other guys you considered, or whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

With the 8th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select from the University of Michigan DE, Rashan Gary. 

Gary fits Patricia’s 4-3 scheme and can play all positions on the line. Versatile player. Detroit should know him well as he is a local player. Ann Arbor is very close to Detroit. 

@Virgil

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If it played out like this, I’m trading back to one of the QB needy teams.  

If I have to stay put, I’d take Hock. So far, this is worst case scenario

Yes, Bills need 2 QBs picked in top 8 to ensure a top quality player drops.

Joe in Winslow had to make one of the most curious moves in nfl draft history by taking Oliver over the clear #1 DT in the draft.  Quite possibly the best player, Quinnen Williams.

at least it adds suspense to our pick now

Edited by NewEra

Edit - someone merged the voting thread for some reason. 

Please vote on the first page of this thread.

Sorry for those who need to vote again 

Edited by Virgil

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Joe in Winslow had to make one of the most curious moves in nfl draft history by taking Oliver over the clear #1 DT in the draft.  Quite possibly the best player, Quinnen Williams.

Indeed. But it's fun when a wrench gets thrown into the works like this, because that's what often happens during the draft! I mean, how often to the top 10 picks all go exactly how we think they will? Almost never! 

This surprise scenario made me realize that in a situation where Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams are both off the board when the Bills pick (as are Bosa, Allen, and Gary)...I'd pick Hockenson over, say Montez Sweat. I've been so locked in on Oliver lately that I haven't considered what I would do if he were gone and if I couldn't trade back. Turns out the answer is Hockenson.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Indeed. But it's fun when a wrench gets thrown into the works like this, because that's what often happens during the draft! I mean, how often to the top 10 picks all go exactly how we think they will? Almost never! 

This surprise scenario made me realize that in a situation where Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams are both off the board when the Bills pick (as are Bosa, Allen, and Gary)...I'd pick Hockenson over, say Montez Sweat. I've been so locked in on Oliver lately that I haven't considered what I would do if he were gone and if I couldn't trade back. Turns out the answer is Hockenson.

It’s interesting. Oliver was considered a top 2 pick going into the season with Bosa.  The season hurt him. But I could see someone valuing him in the top 10. 

On the flip side, I know the Ravens brought him in for a visit.  So he could also fall a bit 

• Like (+1) 1

have always been a Hockenson fan but after seeing his stellar blocking and only dropping one pass all year he has to be the guy.

love DK and maybe we can do some trading to get both (???) but cant ignore Hocks hands and ability.

Want Dexter Lawrence too but dont see him going that high, praying we cant get him in the second. Kid is a force in the run game and a disruptor in the backfield.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Expect the unexpected on draft day. I got Oliver off the board before we pk also anywhere from 4-8 . Maybe Gary or Sweat will be there for us on the edge but if I'm the Bills I'm taking TJ Hockenson at that pt.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

With the 8th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select from the University of Michigan DE, Rashan Gary. 

Gary fits Patricia’s 4-3 scheme and can play all positions on the line. Versatile player. Detroit should know him well as he is a local player. Ann Arbor is very close to Detroit. 

@Virgil

Oh thank you. You saved us all

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

As I said, we're the raiders we do raiders things. But I do consider Oliver the prospect that matches what DT is becoming in the NFL.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Controversial..... but I'd take Oliver over Williams. Love them both but for me Oliver is 2nd only to Bosa in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Tough spot for the Bills at #9. I'd be selling the pick like crazy but if I couldn't get bites then my choice would narrow to:-

Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State

Brian Burns, DE, Florida State

The top player on my board is Wilkins. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

As I said, we're the raiders we do raiders things. But I do consider Oliver the prospect that matches what DT is becoming in the NFL.

Could be.  I love Oliver and hope he’s there for us.  Definitely a chance that he’s not, but I just can’t see any team taking him over Quinnen.  He’s the #1 player the board I made from my couch 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Controversial..... but I'd take Oliver over Williams. Love them both but for me Oliver is 2nd only to Bosa in this draft.

Interesting.  The only thing that scares me about Quinnen is he’s from Bama.  I’m usually not a fan of Bama players but quinnen really impresses me.

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Could be.  I love Oliver and hope he’s there for us.  Definitely a chance that he’s not, but I just can’t see any team taking him over Quinnen.  He’s the #1 player the board I made from my couch 

Interesting.  The only thing that scares me about Quinnen is he’s from Bama.  I’m usually ot a fan of Bama players but quinnen really impresses me

Hopefully, Quinnen doesn't turn out to be another Marcell Dareus.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s a coin flip between:

-  Jonah Williams: Immediate starter at OT or G. Solid, reliable, 10-15 year player. Potential all-pro at G. Process guy

-  TJ Hockenson. Immediate starter. Again, solid, reliable TE, blocking is the difference maker, process guy

-  Montez Sweat. Could be a dominant pass rusher. Position of need. Could transition to Lorax role. Process guy. 

-  Christian Wilkinson. Position(s) of need. Very versitale, total process guy. Boom or average player. 

Id be happy with any of them, but would shoot for the moon and take Hockenson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Hopefully, Quinnen doesn't turn out to be another Marcell Dareus.

Dareus was great until he got paid and lost his motivation.

No love for clelin ferrel?  Surprised to not even see him in the poll. 

I agree this draft would have me wanting a trade down as it has played out this far.  With the options it is between hock and wilkins for me.

I think I'm going hock and hope someone like tillery is there in the second.

1 minute ago, dubs said:

This would be my worst case scenario on staying put for bills but best case for trading down. 

I agree, if I couldn’t find any reasonable trade down scenarios I would go with upside. I’d take Metcalf and hope for the best. A lot of the other options look like guys who would be serviceable but nothing better than a maybe on a 5th year option. 

I’d hate that board.

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I went with Sweat. I get the sense that the Bills want a pash rusher in the 1st. Oliver is probably the target but without him there, they could go outside to Sweat or Burns.

I was between Sweat and Hockenson. I decided to take the guy to help the QB, but I do think they really like Sweat. Wilkins makes some sense as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

I went with TJ Hockenson and I'm feeling guilty...There are Draft Gurus that went elsewhere and with such Defensive Talent - I can see where a TE is so high for that slot.

However - "Change is inevitable"... except from a Vending Machine  lol

Rationale:

1.) Coach recently said  (slipped?) how the TE (Greg Olsen) helped progression of a young Cam Newton.

2.) After review of The Bills off season moves - its (mostly) all about helping the QB early on...

3.) Instant Starter at  a position where one is needed.

4.) Helps Allen get time for deeper throws when he Line Blocks along with OL and Gore one of the better QB protecting RBs

5.) Can work to be that big safety/valve escape route pass for Allen - maybe even that go to 3rd down guy.

That being said - I liked TE Eric Ebron back in his Draft class and it took him a while to develop so again - feeling guilty...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beef on Weck said:

I went with TJ Hockenson and I'm feeling guilty...There are Draft Gurus that went elsewhere and with such Defensive Talent - I can see where a TE is so high for that slot.

However - "Change is inevitable"... except from a Vending Machine  lol

Rationale:

1.) Coach recently said  (slipped?) how the TE (Greg Olsen) helped progression of a young Cam Newton.

2.) After review of The Bills off season moves - its (mostly) all about helping the QB early on...

3.) Instant Starter at  a position where one is needed.

4.) Helps Allen get time for deeper throws when he Line Blocks along with OL and Gore one of the better QB protecting RBs

5.) Can work to be that big safety/valve escape route pass for Allen - maybe even that go to 3rd down guy.

That being said - I liked TE Eric Ebron back in his Draft class and it took him a while to develop so again - feeling guilty...

All makes sense here. And I think Hock is a very different prospect than Ebron, who I did not want. I like Hock and I do think this regime may be hiding their interest in him, based on no actual proof. But they also really like their athletic freaky types, which Hock really isn't. I still think they go defense, but it's possible this is their guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

My head says take DL.  But I worry a lot of the guys left are either boom / bust types or solid but not spectacular.  

Hock just feels like a solid double at the absolute worst.  We haven't had a high quality TE in..ever? and Daboll has seen first hand the impact and how to use a high quality TE.