TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Complete

Virgil

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ya Sin is a pretty raw player whose probably more of a man to man guy but his technique is raw. Has a lot of upside though. Murphy is the much more refined player, but a prototype zone corner who can play man. A guy like a Murphy would be perfect for McDermott's or Seattle's system. Think a jacked up version of Taron Johnson. They are pretty much the same size on paper, but Murphy is bigger becuase it's just distributed differently. Both are not particularly fast. Murphy loves to hit and simply makes a ton of plays. He was a big time receiver in high school as well, so he has good ball skills. I really like Murphy if he slips into the 30s for a trade up. Doubt he get some that far. I'm kind of eh on Ya Sin, but both guys can play. 

I don't know man, you ar replacing one short armed, light in the pants left tackle with another short armed, light in the pants left tackle. But Reiff can certainly benefit from a move inside. Perhaps they would both be fine in the Kubiak finesse zone blocking scheme.

Cool.  I have Dilliard higher than ford and pass protection is BY FAR the biggest issue in Minnesota.  No brainer to me.  

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't know man, you ar replacing one short armed, light in the pants left tackle with another short armed, light in the pants left tackle. But Reiff can certainly benefit from a move inside. Perhaps they would both be fine in the Kubiak finesse zone blocking scheme.

Reiff is a very good RT in my mind. He is out of his depth at LT. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ya Sin is a pretty raw player whose probably more of a man to man guy but his technique is raw. Has a lot of upside though. Murphy is the much more refined player, but a prototype zone corner who can play man. A guy like a Murphy would be perfect for McDermott's or Seattle's system. Think a jacked up version of Taron Johnson. They are pretty much the same size on paper, but Murphy is bigger becuase it's just distributed differently. Both are not particularly fast. Murphy loves to hit and simply makes a ton of plays. He was a big time receiver in high school as well, so he has good ball skills. I really like Murphy if he slips into the 30s for a trade up. Doubt he get some that far. I'm kind of eh on Ya Sin, but both guys can play.

I am with you on both. Murphy is a borderline 1st round corner but a zone team only guy for me (can play man from time to time but would struggle on a primarily man team) and Seattle is a perfect fit. Ya Sin is an extremely raw talent. Low 2nd rounder. Some team will fall in love with Sin though.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

With the 22nd pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson.

The Texans @GunnerBill are on the clock.

The Ravens lost a lot of players in the front 7 in free agency, creating a hole. With this pick, the ravens get one of the best players available at a position of need. Wilkins is a limited upside prospect, but high floor. He will be a solid player for years to come and will help to solidify the Ravens D.

• Like (+1) 1

With the 23rd pick in the 2019 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select......

Cody Ford, Tackle, Oklahoma

@Joe in Winslow and the Oakland Raiders are now on the clock.

The only players on my personal board ranked higher than Ford at this stage are Deionte Thompson and Jaylon Ferguson. Ford is my 3rd BPA and I just feel that the Houston Texans have to better protect Deshaun Watson who was running for his life too often in his first two years. I'm not sure whether Ford ends up inside or outside in the NFL but it matters not, the Texans need upgrades at both spots.

Despite the Antonio Brown pickup, we at Patrick Starfish's Las Vegas-ish NFL Circus Sideshow feel we have a need for more weapons for the offense. The fact that both Fant and Hock are taken, and the "best" WR is off the board, we feel we need someone opposite Brown, so we'll pick N'Keal Harry, WR, ASU.

@Virgil and the cheesesteak-eating urban mullets, er I mean the Eagles, are now on the board.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You should make the pick, but I personally think Jacobs makes sense to the Eagles. That or a DB.

Edit:

On second thought, I think the top safety on their board makes sense. Either Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or Nasir Adderley.

Not sure if we should have a mini vote, or if someone else wants to take it, or what...DB or Jacobs or Edge (Clelin Ferrell?)

Edited by Logic

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree. Looked at a few Eagles mocks and they all seem to agree that running back is decently likely as a first round pick. With this being the case, and with Jacobs still on the board, that's the most logical pick to me. 

Edge Rusher Clelin Ferrell is the other choice that makes sense here.

He would make sense, and be hard for them to pass on...

Dexter Lawrence wouldn't shock me either. 

Nasir Aderly is a good option as well. 

I expect that the need to remind people that Wentz is a franchise QB being what it is, making his life easier on offense makes the most sense. (Hollywood Brown?) That makes me think Jacobs..

Essentially @Virgil, in an attempt to make your job easier, I can now say that they will not take a QB... probably.

Edited by whatdrought

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

He would make sense, and be hard for them to pass on...

Dexter Lawrence wouldn't shock me either. 

Nasir Aderly is a good option as well. 

I see a ton of mocks that have the Eagles taking a safety.

With the Eagles playing a Wide 9 and with Christian Wilkins off the board, I don't think the value is there for DT.

I say they either go Ferrell at Edge or Adderley at Safety.

Just now, Logic said:

With the Eagles playing a Wide 9 and with Christian Wilkins off the board, I don't think the value is there for DT.

Ferrell is gone to Tennessee

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Logic said:

Nobody rotates his DL more than Jim Shorts. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Lawrence is very much in play. 

Do we know if they are getting Chris Long back? 

I saw where they resigned Vinny Curry and I assume they're hoping that Barnett Kid gets back to speed after a slightly disappointing sophomore season. 

Lawrence next to Cox could be nasty. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Do we know if they are getting Chris Long back? 

I saw where they resigned Vinny Curry and I assume they're hoping that Barnett Kid gets back to speed after a slightly disappointing sophomore season. 

Lawrence next to Cox could be nasty. 

Barnett got injured. He needs to get healthy first. Not sure on Long. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Isn't Lawrence more of a space eater than a penetrator? 

Football sounds so sexual sometimes...

TWSS. 

He's really a bit of both. He looks like a space eater, but he does good things in the hole........... :P

With regard to Interior D-linemen for the Iggles, DraftNetwork and some other resources have Tillery and Omenihu ranked ahead of Lawrence. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Not sure if Iggles are looking for more of a space eater or penetrator. I mean I know Cox gets good penetration. That's what Cox is for. But, ya know... 

If Virgil is busy and insists that we pick in his stead, I say we roll with Lawrence and keep this thing moving. Happy to wait, of course, if that's preferred. 

Edited by Logic

The Philadelphia Eagles select Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama. 

The Eagles really wanted to go defensive back here, but the top guys got plucked ahead of them and others would be a stretch. After DB, the halfback situation was the next glaring need and Jacobs fit that in addition to being a BPA. 

This is result of playing the draft and going with what falls to you.  Also, with certain runningback needy teams behind them, they get the best at the position and can focus elsewhere with their multiple later picks. 

The Colts are now on the clock 

@Chuck Wagon

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

You should make the pick, but I personally think Jacobs makes sense to the Eagles. That or a DB.

I didn’t see this until after I picked, I swear.  But yeah, he’s BPA and fits a major need. 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

The Indianapolis Colts select Jeffery Simmons, DT, Miss St. 

The Colts heavily weighed WR with this pick and considered Jacobs before he went off the board in front of them.  The team feels it's uniquely positioned with no obvious holes, so is willing to roll the dice on Simmons potential to group with Leonard and Hooker giving strong young players on all 3 levels of the D.

The Raiders are now on the clock 

@Joe in Winslow

Edited by Chuck Wagon

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

Beane does not seem to be scared of the boom bust guys.

I agree. I think that will be and should be his approach in the top ten. You just have to balance it all together with who you are passing on as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Y’all are doing a great job! There are a lot of good fits in this draft. Solid meeting class so far.

I second this. This mock has been better thus far than many that I see done by "professionals". 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Corner is a good pick for them, and I like Ya-Sin (that was fun to type) but I wonder if Murphy isn't a more likely pick? I haven't paid much attention to CB though... 

I almost took Baker, the CB from Georgia ... I was hoping Burns would drop, but no, then every player I wanted went one after the other.

Happy with Rock Ya-Sin

• Like (+1) 1

I was very torn about this pick for the Los Angeles Chargers.

I came in wanting an offensive tackle or interior defensive lineman. With Dillard, Taylor, and Risner all off the board at OT and Oliver, Williams, Simmons, and Wilkins all off the board at DT, things got a bit more complicated. I liked Risner, in particular, figuring that if he didn't work at offensive tackle, he'd become a great interior player for us. Alas, he was picked just one pick before my Chargers were on the clock. I looked at linebacker, but I didn't like the value of the remaining players at that position. I looked at cornerback, but again the value wasn't there. I'm happy for now with Casey Hayward and Desmond King at corner. I'm going to have to address my defensive interior at some point, and I'd like a safety. Tre Boston is still on the market, though, and I plan to bring him back. The defensive line class is deep and I'm confident that I can address that need in round 2 or 3. 

So looking at the fact that the players at my top two needs (OT and IDL) didn't present good value, and considering I JUST spent a premium pick on Derwin James for my secondary last year, I turned my attention to something I hadn't expected: The fall of quarterbacks Daniel Jones and Drew Lock. For those that don't think these are reasonable considerations for LA: The Chargers have spent top 30 visits on Daniel Jones and Will Grier already, and Drew Lock is meeting with them in Los Angeles TODAY. I've got to replace 38-year-old Philip Rivers at some point, and with as good as my team is likely to be for the next few years, I won't be picking high enough for any blue chip QB prospects. As such, I look at the tremendous value at this point of these quarterbacks, and I have one of them higher on my board than I have any remaining players at "primary need" positions. Given that the draft is about setting my team up for long term success, and given that we've got to find a way to get fans engaged and make sure we can build a fan base here in Los Angeles, I have made my decision.

With the 28th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select QB Drew Lock, Mizzou.

Lock, like Josh Allen before him, has some work to do on both his drop-back and throwing mechanics. He also has tremendous, game-breaking upside. By drafting him now, I can sit him behind Philip Rivers for 1-2 seasons and allow him to learn from the best. I considered Daniel Jones, as he is more of a ready-made fit for Anthony Lynn's west coast offense. But ultimately, I bet on upside here, and that Lock's time on the bench learning from Rivers will equate to long term success for my otherwise young team, and that the move to ensure quarterback stability for years to come will equate to increased fan engagement in my new market.

@Mr Wild and his Kansas City Chiefs are now on the clock.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was very torn about this pick for the Los Angeles Chargers.

I came in wanting an offensive tackle or interior defensive lineman. With Dillard, Taylor, and Risner all off the board at OT and Oliver, Williams, and Wilkins all off the board at DT, things got a bit more complicated. I looked at linebacker, but I didn't like the value of the remaining players at that position. I looked at cornerback, but again the value wasn't there. I'm happy for now with Casey Hayward and Desmond King at corner. I'm going to have to address my defensive interior at some point, and I'd like a safety. Tre Boston is still on the market, though, and I plan to bring him back. The defensive line class is deep and I'm confident that I can address that need in round 2 or 3. 

So looking at the fact that the players at my top two needs (OT and IDL) didn't present good value, and considering I JUST spent a premium pick on Derwin James for my secondary last year, I turned my attention to something I hadn't expected: The fall of quarterbacks Daniel Jones and Drew Lock. For those that don't think these are reasonable considerations for LA: The Chargers have spent top 30 visits on Daniel Jones and Will Grier already, and Drew Lock is meeting with them in Los Angeles TODAY. I've got to replace 38-year-old Philip Rivers at some point, and with as good as my team is likely to be for the next few years, I won't be picking high enough for any blue chip QB prospects. As such, I look at the tremendous value at this point of these quarterbacks, and I have one of them higher on my board than I have any remaining players at "primary need" positions. Given that the draft is about setting my team up for long term success, and given that we've got to find a way to get fans engaged and make sure we can build a fan base here in Los Angeles, I have made my decision.

With the 28th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select QB Drew Lock, Mizzou.

Lock, like Josh Allen before him, has some work to do on both his drop-back and throwing mechanics. He also has tremendous, game-breaking upside. By drafting him now, I can sit him behind Philip Rivers for 1-2 seasons and allow him to learn from the best. I considered Daniel Jones, as he is more of a ready-made fit for Anthony Lynn's west coast offense. But ultimately, I bet on upside here, and that Lock's time on the bench learning from Rivers will equate to long term success for my otherwise young team, and that the move to ensure quarterback stability for years to come will equate to increased fan engagement in my new market.

@Mr Wild and his Kansas City Chiefs are now on the clock.

Good spot to get the 5th year option.  If trades were available, I could see a trade back unless worried about another team trading back into the first (Denver) to grab him 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

Could spot to get the 5th year option.  If trades were available, I could see a trade back unless worries about another team trading back into the first (Denver) to grab him 

Absolutely. The 5th year option is HUGE for quarterbacks, especially quarterbacks that you already know won't be playing for another season or two. And ultimately, when you believe in a QB, and one with high 1st round value drops unexpectedly all the way to 28, you take him without a second thought. Can't trade around and risk losing out on him.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Absolutely. The 5th year option is HUGE for quarterbacks, especially quarterbacks that you already know won't be playing for another season or two. And ultimately, when you believe in a QB, and one with high 1st round value drops unexpectedly all the way to 28, you take him without a second thought. Can't trade around and risk losing out on him.

The 5th year option is huge, but winning a super bowl when the window is open is so much more important.  Drafting for the future after ending their season the way they did is questionable.  

Jmo

edit: much of this has to do with my view of Lock.  He’s aight.  Don’t love him.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1