Bills host OG Quinton Spain from Titans***Update...SIGNED***

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Nah you’re taking it too seriously. I don’t need to try to insult other posters but if I exaggerate it will be for my hate of Zay Jones. He’s my least favorite player probably of all time after that video. 

did the video really upset you that much?

14 minutes ago, teef said:

it's called stupid.  as in, you're stupid for typing it out.

edit:  i'm willing to be you had no idea what hyperbole was until logic mentioned it earlier in this thread.

hyperbole

hyper - overly excited 

bole - the trunk of a tree.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The video combined with his poor play his rookie year followed by the team and fans giving him a pass for it. Especially after trading away other good young players seemingly in the name of “culture”

what?  this is strange.

are you sure you're not upset because zay had a more productive year this year than sammy?

don't get me wrong...zay has a long way to go, but your dislike for the guy boarders on...well, stupid.

edit:  on top of that, wouldn't you appreciate zay's step forward from his first to second year after having all that happen.  wouldn't most see that as somewhat of a good sign?

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The video combined with his poor play his rookie year followed by the team and fans giving him a pass for it. Especially after trading away other good young players seemingly in the name of “culture”

I am not happy with what appears to be easy catches that he drops

but

You cannot deny that he improved from year 1 to year 2.......and that sometimes it takes players a while.   I totally agree with this team aquiring talent to push him

8 minutes ago, teef said:

what?  this is strange.

are you sure you're not upset because zay had a more productive year this year than sammy?

don't get me wrong...zay has a long way to go, but your dislike for the guy boarders on...well, stupid.

edit:  on top of that, wouldn't you appreciate zay's step forward from his first to second year after having all that happen.  wouldn't most see that as somewhat of a good sign?

Hey just let me have an irrational level of hate for a player because he tried to jump out a window please. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chemical said:

Hey just let me have an irrational level of hate for a player because he tried to jump out a window please. 

fair enough.  i had a irrational hate for jared the subway guy for years, and it turned out to be valid.  you just never know.  go with your gut.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I haven’t read every post in this thread but I’ve read much of it. This post is good but also reminds me that way too many people are forgetting about Waddle. Not sure why I’ve seen so little about him here. 

Yeah I get what you are saying. I think that most people assume that Waddle is in competition at RT or simply signed to be depth at tackle. But he can play guard as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I keep checking Spotrac but just says 1 year.  No $

I’d guess that the longer it takes for the details to come out, the more likely it is that it’s a team friendly deal.

This is probably my 2nd favorite signing of free agency.

Morse was 1st, obviously. John Brown and Cole Beasley were both great additions, too. 

At the end of the day, though, it's all about keeping Allen upright. Spain will be a day 1 starting LG for the Bills, will help Dawkins to perform better at LT, and is excellent in pass protection. By adding Morse and Spain, the Bills added two guaranteed starters and upgrades to their line. We'll see about the others (Nsekhe, Feliciano, et al).

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Morse was 1st, obviously. John Brown and Cole Beasley were both great additions, too. 

At the end of the day, though, it's all about keeping Allen upright. Spain will be a day 1 starting LG for the Bills, will help Dawkins to perform better at LT, and is excellent in pass protection. By adding Morse and Spain, the Bills added two guaranteed starters and upgrades to their line. We'll see about the others (Nsekhe, Feliciano, et al).

If that is the case, why a 1 year deal?  Was it his choice or the Bills?

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

nothing released as far as I can tell 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I keep checking Spotrac but just says 1 year.  No $

Middle of the road starting guard money on a 1 year prove it contract puts him around 5 million.

I'm curious also where he comes in at.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Because Spain didn’t get what he thought he’d command on the open market.  1 year prove it deal.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Everything about Spain's offseason suggests that he was asking for more than the league's teams felt he was worth. Finally, when he saw he wasn't going to get what he wanted, he decided that a one-year prove-it deal was his best option. Essentially, he's betting on himself and that his performance this season will earn him a big contract next offseason.

If he plays very well for the Bills, they'll have options. They can either re-sign him to a longer deal (which I would hope for, since continuity is important along the o-line), or perhaps they'll look at their young, developing guards (Teller, Boettger, potential draftee) and decide that they can let Spain walk. 

In any case, his addition means a stabilized left side of Dawkins, Spain, and Morse. I expect Dawkins' play to return to a high level this year, with Spain next to him, with Morse making the calls, and with Dawkins having received a major wake-up call, to which he's already admitted.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don't get that either. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I don't understand why this guy was undrafted and now I don't get why he had to settle. There must be something about his game that football people don't like. I feel like Beane was in teh market for one premier interior player and wound up with Morse. But circled back around to Spain when it was clear he wasn't going to get any huge offers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't get that either. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I don't understand why this guy was undrafted and now I don't get why he had to settle. There must be something about his game that football people don't like. I feel like Beane was in teh market for one premier interior player and wound up with Morse. But circled back around to Spain when it was clear he wasn't going to get any huge offers. 

Yeah. I DO wonder why teams were scared to give Spain a big contract. He sure seems like he's worth it.

The only thing I can guess -- and it is a TOTAL guess -- is that Spain simply was asking for more than teams were willing to offer, and Spain didn't want to sign a multi-year deal for less than what he thought he was worth.

We have yet to see his contract numbers with the Bills, right? I'm curious what we're paying him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I'd be surprised.

His versatility makes him perfect to backup at both center and guard.

I like his versatility, but my point is that he is not a natural center. Every chance he's had to play at guard, in both Washington and NY he played at a very high level. The dude is a guard who was forced into the center position because Washington had no other choice. I want the Bills to give him a real shot at the right guard spot and just leave him there and not worry about playing center. I'm saying that taking that off his plate will help him focus on the things that he is good at. He started for three years at RG at Nebraska and started at guard for Washington until they made him a center. Leave him be and I think he will surprise and forms a really strong interior with Spain and Morse. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like his versatility, but my point is that he is not a natural center. Every chance he's had to play at guard, in both Washington and NY he played at a very high level. The dude is a guard who was forced into the center position because Washington had no other choice. I want the Bills to give him a real shot at the right guard spot and just leave him there and not worry about playing center. I'm saying that taking that off his plate will help him focus on the things that he is good at. He started for three years at RG at Nebraska and started at guard for Washington until they made him a center. Leave him be and I think he will surprise and forms a really strong interior with Spain and Morse. 

I agree on all counts. Most Bills fans are sleeping on Spencer Long, in my opinion. I think Long, if allowed to just compete for a starting guard spot, will win said spot. I think an interior three of Spain, Morse, and Long will be of high quality and high production. They're all still on the right side of 30, too. Training camp is going to be extremely interesting with respect to offensive line battles. While I like Long a lot and think he can return to being an effective starting guard in this league, I also like Wyatt Teller and Ike Boettger. In an ideal world, we could start Spain and Long at guard (assuming they win the competition), and still find a way to roster Teller and Boettger. Then, when Spain's one year deal is up, you can decide if either Teller or Boettger have shown enough in development to let Spain walk.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sounds good, but then who is the backup center?  You think Bodine makes the team?

46 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I get what you are saying. I think that most people assume that Waddle is in competition at RT or simply signed to be depth at tackle. But he can play guard as well. 

I just think people are forgetting about him. He might be the best T on the team period. I get that they think Ty will be the starting RT. But it’s just odd that I constantly see people’s posts about the upgraded line and listing all the FAs aquired but fail to even list Waddle. 

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Zay discussion should be dropped from this thread, just like... ah never mind.

Like all of Sammy Watkins expectations after his 13 boo boos?

I think what the Spain signing does, is end the possibility of moving Dawkins to LG.  Spain is the LG and Morse is Center.  So it is either Dawkins or Nsekhe at LT.  I think they leave Dawkins at LT and hope he improves playing with better talent.  That leaves Nsekhe to compete with Waddle at RT, with the loser being the swing tackle.

I see RG as being a competition between Teller and Feliciano- with Long being the interior line super sub.

Oline will certainly be the most interesting unit to watch take shape this offseason into the preseason.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think what the Spain signing does, is end the possibility of moving Dawkins to LG.  Spain is the LG and Morse is Center.  So it is either Dawkins or Nsekhe at LT.  I think they leave Dawkins at LT and hope he improves playing with better talent.  That leaves Nsekhe to compete with Waddle at RT, with the loser being the swing tackle.

I see RG as being a competition between Teller and Feliciano- with Long being the interior line super sub.

Oline with certainly be the most interesting unit to watch take shape this offseason into the preseason.

with the 20/20 hindsight. the signing of a bad player, Spencer Long, was a waste of resources.

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Oline depth is no waste, IMO

Just saying that I thing we can get a better player than Long, in a late round pick or priority free agent. I'm no expert but my son has coached tight ends and RB's in the ACC--> and knows I'm a Bills die hard and say teams sour on him real quick for good reason. But I've been on record as saying until we have a good set of OLinemen, nothing else matters. So I'm with you there

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It's a fantastic signing.  So happy he's a Bill.  

13 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Just saying that I thing we can get a better player than Long, in a late round pick or priority free agent. I'm no expert but my son has coached tight ends and RB's in the ACC--> and knows I'm a Bills die hard and say teams sour on him real quick for good reason. But I've been on record as saying until we have a good set of OLinemen, nothing else matters. So I'm with you there

Hmmmm....  That really doesn't match the reports that I read.   Washington wanted to keep him but couldn't afford him with the free agency money he would get.  He started 44 games for them!  That's not somebody who was soured on real quickly. 

He got a pretty large contract from the Jets at FOUR(4) years $27 million deal, with $9m guaranteed.  That's not chump change.   

According to reports the Jets still wanted him back, just not at that $ figure for this year  (guaranteed $3.5m roster bonus plus salary).  

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-waited-too-long-to-re-sign-cg-spencer-long/303848474

His biggest problem has been injuries which makes him more of a risk to invest heavily in.  Generally regarded better as a guard than a center.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Sounds good, but then who is the backup center?  You think Bodine makes the team?

I think as currently constituted, yes. I think, with Morse's injury history it pays to keep a legit backup center and that would be Bodine. I do think he could be replaced with a rookie, but center depth is not something that many teams have, and it's not something we should take for granted. Bodine is probably better than 5-10 starting centers in the NFL, so you could in theory fetch something for him in a trade. Daniel Kilgore actually fetched something last year. Brett Jones fetched a seventh rounder. Neither guy is as good as Bodine. It's not that far fetched that needy teams would trade a late round pick for a guy like Bodine. 

But both Jon Feliciano and Jeremiah Sirles have the ability to play center. I do think, if Long doesn't not win the right guard job, he would become the #2 center and knock Bodine off the roster. What would I do? I'd train Ike Boettger to be a center because I do think he has some interesting center traits. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think as currently constituted, yes. I think, with Morse's injury history it pays to keep a legit backup center and that would be Bodine. I do think he could be replaced with a rookie, but center depth is not something that many teams have, and it's not something we should take for granted. Bodine is probably better than 5-10 starting centers in the NFL, so you could in theory fetch something for him in a trade. Daniel Kilgore actually fetched something last year. Brett Jones fetched a seventh rounder. Neither guy is as good as Bodine. It's not that far fetched that needy teams would trade a late round pick for a guy like Bodine. 

But both Jon Feliciano and Jeremiah Sirles have the ability to play center. I do think, if Long doesn't not win the right guard job, he would become the #2 center and knock Bodine off the roster. What would I do? I'd train Ike Boettger to be a center because I do think he has some interesting center traits. 

I definitely think that there's the potential to deal Bodine to a team that's desperate for a starting center. New Orleans, for instance, lost Unger to retirement. 

I'm curious about Feliciano though; the only scouting I've ever seen on him was at guard.  Did he play center at the U?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I definitely think that there's the potential to deal Bodine to a team that's desperate for a starting center. New Orleans, for instance, lost Unger to retirement. 

I'm curious about Feliciano though; the only scouting I've ever seen on him was at guard.  Did he play center at the U?

Checked a couple UM bios and no mention of playing center. Mainly lg, but time at rg and tackle too.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

38 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Checked a couple UM bios and no mention of playing center. Mainly lg, but time at rg and tackle too.

FWIW, In his "Welcome Aboard" presser he stated that he can play RG LG and C.

• Like (+1) 1