Taking on Blake bortles contract?????

Heff

11 minutes ago, Heff said:

Long time reader first time topic poster.  I was wondering if we could pull a Cleveland move and obsorb Blake Bortles contract for a second rd pick, plus a fifth?

Cleveland only got a 2nd, and I believe Osweiler made more. And gave back a late 4th. Why would Buffalo get more?

Just now, White Linen said:

That's an awful lot to pay.   You can sign a free agent that would be better than that second round pick for the Bortles money. 

You cut him on final cut-downs.  Or trade him to someone else.

1 minute ago, cle23 said:

Cleveland cut Osweiler. 

That's a different story if Cleveland wants Bortles, then fine, I don't care what Cleveland does.  I took the OP to mean Buffalo to bring in Bortles, which I would be against as it is totally unnecessary.

This would not make sense for where the bills are at. Cleveland was in the year two of a tear down and had around $120 million in cap and no one on the roster that they needed to re-sign. Josh allens contract is competitive advantage and trading for Bortles would handy cap the Bills ability to build a contender in the next 2 years.

16 minutes ago, Heff said:

Long time reader first time topic poster.  I was wondering if we could pull a Cleveland move and obsorb Blake Bortles contract for a second rd pick, plus a fifth?

I don’t want to sound rude on one of your first  threads

Blake Bortles.  

Why????   

He’s not that good.  And with a high salary not worth it 

16 minutes ago, Heff said:

Hmmm, interesting scenario.  We certainly have the cap room to do it.  I dont know his contract details...what is the size and length of it?  Also, what is the cap hit if we trade for him and then cut him?  Would it just be dead cap space this year?  If so, I would absolutely trade for him and get their 2nd and 5th round picks.  We got cap room to have some dead money this year in exchange for a 2nd and a 5th.  But if it screws the cap up for a couple years, then less interested.  

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don’t want to sound rude on one of your first  threads

Blake Bortles.  

Why????   

He’s not that good.  And with a high salary not worth it 

I think you missed what he said.  They would GIVE US a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick to take on his contract.  So we aren't trading for Blake, we are essentially getting the Jags 2nd and 5th round picks just for taking on Blake and his contract.  Just like Cleveland did with Houston when they took on Osweiler.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I understand all view points ,but I really don’t see any eye popping wr’s in free agency and this would allow OT in first and 2 early seconds for Wide receiver’s. I also think his cap hit will b 16 million.... osweiler was 15 ish

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you missed what he said.  They would GIVE US a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick to take on his contract.  So we aren't trading for Blake, we are essentially getting the Jags 2nd and 5th round picks just for taking on Blake and his contract.  Just like Cleveland did with Houston.  

I do not want anything to do with Blake Bortles who IMO is slightly better than Tyrod 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I do not want anything to do with Blake Bortles who IMO is slightly better than Tyrod 

You are missing the point.  It has nothing to do with Blake at all.  They give us their 2nd and 5th round pick AND Blake bortles for essentially nothing.  They free themselves of Blakes salary, which we take on and they are paying us a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick to do so.  

Once we have him, we can just cut him and take the cap hit because we have the cap room.  We then have the Jags 2nd and 5th round picks for taking a short term cap hit.  

Literally has nothing to do with Bortles or him playing for the Bills.  We just have the cap space to help the Jags relieve cap space...and they are paying us a hefty price in draft picks to do that.  This is what Houston and Cleveland did with Osweiler and then Cleveland cut him and netter the 2nd round pick from Houston still.

So thats why I keep saying you are missing the point, really has nothing to do with Bortles nor would Bortles remain a Bill afterwards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Heff said:

did you need 5 question marks to ask this question?

43 minutes ago, Heff said:

this actually a rather interesting idea. kudos!

41 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Interesting but it doesn’t seem to be their style.  Plus there are two QB’s under contract that have both been helpful to Allen.  

doesn't mean we have to keep him, just inherit the money and cut him, like buying a vowel.

Edited by Foxx

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We then have the Jags 2nd and 5th round picks for taking a short term cap hit.  

Your creativity is noted, and appreciated.

I tried to reply with an eloquent post about the value of picks versus cap hit.. but found it hard to verbalize. Short story: a 2nd and 5th for a disposable player is not something the Jags would offer (even to evade a cap hit).

The Bortles market will heat up after the draft.

34 minutes ago, Heff said:

Yeah I brought this up in another thread.

I don't think Blake would net that much.........the acquiring team would only have to eat $6.5M(the guaranteed portion of 2019 salary).............so you might get a 4th and a 6th or something?

Another interesting one is former Panther All Pro guard and last years hottest OL free agent Andrew Norwell..........who the Jags could save $13M in actual guaranteed 2019 salary if they traded him.    Seeing more of these early year base salary guarantees in contracts.........which makes them more tradeable.      I doubt the Bills would want to pay hi that $13M in salary but if they strike out in OL shopping in FA you never know.   Former Panther stud.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

take the 2nd rounder and a 5th and cut the slug. 

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Sorry you don’t agree with my sentiment that I don’t care if they gave us 5 first picks and he comes at no cost.  

No to Bortles 

?? Shady, are you off your rocker? 5 firsts for Bortles salary... all day, every day.

• Like (+1) 2

So you’d rather have an absorption of a substantial contract because of a 2nd and 5th, knowing less than 10% of fifths ever start, vs. going after a couple of WR and a Guard or Center, and then have more talent when we draft as we already have two 2nds.

Doesnt make any sense to me as I live in FL and he is not good at all, but I do welcome you to the board.