Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

51 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

Patient for what? So guys can just suck at their job within that framework and you are just supposed to chalk it up to "oh well we dont have the talent"?

Hell no. You understand where you are realistically but also within that there has to be a certain level of performance and a certain level of development and the belief that with better players they will be able to get the most out of them.

Could any of that be said for the 3 coaches fired? Would YOU say that with better players Castillo would be an asset? Or Crosssman? Or Robiskie?

I sure can't bring myself to think that.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Um. Benjamin was awful all season yet continued to get play when younger guys didn't get a shot. Nathan Peterpickerman was shoved down our throats for two years and we didn't retain an actual vet presence until this season was essentially over; both of those guys got extended shortly. We had to endure a full year of Rick "No Offense" Dennison. We paid Trent Murphy and Star wayyy to much and we can actually cut them without too many repercussions. I doubt either of those moves happen. I disagree here and it warrants questioning how calculated things are. 

KB's playing time and targets decreased noticeably as the younger guys flashed potential, especially Foster, and NP played himself back into a starting job over the course of the offseason/preseason. Then the QB injury bug hit and he was forced into spot duty yet again. No FO will ever be perfect, and I agree that Star is overpaid and Trent has been a disappointment with his injuries this year, but you can't hit on everything, and they are making plenty of other "right" moves along the way that are paying dividends already. Let's revisit this in another year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

KB's playing time and targets decreased noticeably as the younger guys flashed potential, especially Foster, and NP played himself back into a starting job over the course of the offseason/preseason. Then the QB injury bug hit and he was forced into spot duty yet again. No FO will ever be perfect, and I agree that Star is overpaid and Trent has been a disappointment with his injuries this year, but you can't hit on everything, and they are making plenty of other "right" moves along the way that are paying dividends already. Let's revisit this in another year. 

What are the other right moves? Poyer and Hyde? Jury is still out on Allen, he looks promising. Two LBs that went after Edmunds have been just as good if not better. Trading up there was dumb. Trading up for Zay was dumb, Kupp and Juju went after. You never trade up for a non-QB. Now watch Robiskie get moved to WR coach and us get a REAL QB coach. "Calculated". 

The only thing these guys really "did" was get a lucky playoff berth. We get blown out at a ridiculous rate and that has to stop. Our top ranked D really only performed well against bad teams and against a clearly declining Brady. 

If Allen busts, they are toast.

Edited by Elite Poster

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I don't disagree with most of your points, but I'd also say that McD hasn't shied away from admitting his mistakes and moving to change what he can to correct those as he is able. Say what you will, but I don't think that an oversized ego the likes of which afflicted Rexy, is a problem that he has shown thus far.  

The three coaches fired may well have needed to go and McCoach made changes.  It doesn't remove the fact that personnel challenges are as much a reason for their struggles as the coaches themselves.

But down the road, it's moves like this which put more pressure on this regime to win in 2019.  All excuses have been or are being eliminated, including the removal of certain coaches.

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I doubt anyone would argue that the OL, WR, and ST groups' performance were acceptable.  Yet, the same could be said about the players the HC and GM put on the field for those groups.

McBeane are effectively distancing themselves from those personnel issues.  It doesn't hide the fact that Buffalo has major personnel issues and those coaches were somewhat set up to fail. 

Firing coaches only increases the expectations for 2019, which are already high.  Coach McD doesn't have as many bones to throw to the wolves anymore.  It's on him and the GM more now that since they took over.

The question is, given the level of talent they had, did they perform acceptably? Were players getting better as the year went on or were they regressing?

Why was the Oline unable to open any holes whatsoever all year long except in the first Jets game?

Why did Holmes and Benjamin give us next to nothing while they were here? Why did Zay take so long to be a contributor? Maybe they dont feel Robiskie did enough with Zay and that he wasn't able to maximize his talent.

Crossman there should be no doubt why he got fired. His special teams were brutal in every way this year from first game to last game.

They know they dont have enough talent the question they had to answer was are these the right people moving forward to coach the more talented players we will be getting? Obviously the answer was no.

Very encouraged to see McBeane can make the necessary changes without getting romantic about the friends they've hired.

Churning the roster. Churning the staff. Not standing still. Admitting errors. Always looking to improve. 

Hard not to like this staff (though I know many of you make a living out of it).

7 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

What are the other right moves? Poyer and Hyde? Jury is still out on Allen, he looks promising. Two LBs that went after Edmunds have been just as good if not better. Trading up there was dumb. Trading up for Zay was dumb, Kupp and Juju went after. You never trade up for a non-QB. Now watch Robiskie get moved to WR coach and us get a REAL QB coach. "Calculated". 

The only thing these guys really "did" was get a lucky playoff berth. We get blown out at a ridiculous rate and that has to stop. Our top ranked D really only performed well against bad teams and against a clearly declining Brady. 

If Allen busts, they are toast.

I rest my case.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

As bad as Castillo was I think Crossman should have gone first...

These moves needed to be made if the team wanted to compete for a division title this year. Good to see McD is not sitting on his hands. Now to find some quality replacements who know what they are doing. 

5 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Very encouraged to see McBeane can make the necessary changes without getting romantic about the friends they've hired.

Churning the roster. Churning the staff. Not standing still. Admitting errors. Always looking to improve. 

Hard not to like this staff (though I know many of you make a living out of it).

I couldn't say it better than this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

If your point is that firing assistant coaches admits mistakes and takes heat off the GM and the coach by placing blame elsewhere, I agree. 

I do think its a little optimistic to think that every staff hire is going to be brilliant and every player personnel move is going to work out swimmingly.  It's not really the way it works.  Even Belichick makes mistakes in assistant coach hiring and player moves.   One of the emerging strengths of the current regime is admitting errors and cutting bait (Benjamin, etc.).  I think Terry and Kim have created the environment that allows this as long as they see progress toward the vision.

Sometimes it may not be so much of a mistake as what better option existed at the time. I’m not saying that was the case with Crossman, as he’s been around a long time through different regimes, but sometimes (especially with a whole new staff) you just can’t get your first choice, so you hope for the best with somebody else. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

What are the other right moves? Poyer and Hyde? Jury is still out on Allen, he looks promising. Two LBs that went after Edmunds have been just as good if not better. Trading up there was dumb. Trading up for Zay was dumb, Kupp and Juju went after. 

The only thing these guys really "did" was get a lucky playoff berth. We get blown out at a ridiculous rate and what has to stop. 

Now watch Robiskie get moved to WR coach and us get a REAL QB coach. "Calculated". 

Anytime you want to start talking about what was smart or dumb when it comes to the NFL draft, brother, if you have better insight than all of the draft gurus, draftniks, draft nerds, Mayocks and/or Kipers of the world, then by all means weigh in on that and get paid for it! Plenty of them routinely wet the bed on their sure thing picks, as it's the quintessential inexact science out there--just as many misses as hits, all across the board. The Bills don't have a monopoly on that, good or bad, and never will.

Right moves? Edmunds was just named the defensive rookie of the month for December, and Allen is a gamebreaker with his ridiculous athleticism/tools. You've got to hit at the top of the draft in order to survive as a regime long term, and so far so good, IMHO. Even in the later rounds with Phillips, Johnson, Neal and Teller, all should be solid contributors for years to come. Arguably the only misses so far could be Ray-Ray, and obviously Proehl who was cut as a 7th rounder. And that's just for Bean's draft, the year before was the awkward Whaley/McD pairing, although it seems pretty clear McD was steering the ship already in the 2017 draft. White is a lockdown corner, Zay is starting to come around and should be a solid 2 or 3 after all is said and done, Dawkins was one of the more reliable linemen and Milano has been playing lights out as a gem in the 5th round.

So far in addition, Wallace and Foster both look to be steals as UDFAs; seriously, do I need to keep going? The blowout losses stopped with the emergence of Allen coming back from his injury (actually even before that, with Barkley), and the arrow is pointing up with this franchise since then! We ate a roadkill burger with the cap this year in fixing Whaley's sins so that we now are in a position to blow FA period out of the water,  in addition to 10 draft picks--so would you rather be the Jets or the Dolphins right now in our division instead of us? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

I wonder too if Crossman failed to adjust to the new kickoff rules implemented this year. Have to bring in someone who knows how to work around the new rules.

After some boneheaded decisions on kickoff returns earlier in the season, I did notice in the 2nd half of the season that returners seemed to be instructed to stand at the goal line and if the ball was going over their head to let it go. Still it took awhile before this was implemented