Alabama vs Clemson who ya got?

Bfanlc

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m thinking the same thing. I wish that I had the balls to be the ML here. I thought it would be a close game so I went with the points. In hindsight i would have made small bets on adjusted spreads and tried to hit home runs.

I took Georgia +12 but teased the money line and I think I was gunshy about doing it again

What an impressive display of dominance by the Clemson Tigers. Alabama didn’t score since the 2nd quarter. Two INTs, 3 stops on 4th down in the red zone . About the only thing the Clemson D couldn’t manage to do was fall on one of the 4 fumbles. Trevor Lawrence and Ross were amazing. Score a huge win for the good guys !  Bravo !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seeing Clemson dominate Alabama the way they did makes me feel not as bad about how they whooped up on my Irish. Book hits a couple of open guys for TD's he could have had and doesn't turn the ball over then it would have been a closer game. Clemson still would have won though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Now that was something!  The way the game started, even with the pick-6, it appeared that Tua and the Bama offense were going to have their way all night.  What a turnaround!

Gotta love that Lawrence kid.  Looks like he has a very bright future.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Alright everyone, I’m going to bed. Can’t wait for Trevor Lawrence vs. Justin Fields for the National Championship In New Orleans next year!!

Come within 28 points to Iowa or Purdue and it just might happen.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Alabama and Georgia, the two teams that competed for the alleged greatest SEC championship game ever, got run off the damn field this postseason. Gotta make sure you get as many SEC teams in as possible though. It just means more.

They should have replaced Bama with Purdue?

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d still take their talent. That’s hyperbole though the hypothetical spread was 28.5 I think. Only idiots were talking about the score straight up. That’s wasn’t the conversation. It was 28.5

They barely covered 28.5 tonight versus a college team lol 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

A damn fine college team mind you. 

Trevor Lawrence and Justyn Ross are true freshman and played like that. Wow. 

Dabo has done one hell of a job with Clemson. They are going to be hard to beat the next two years. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dabo has done one hell of a job with Clemson. They are going to be hard to beat the next two years. 

I just think that people that don’t watch a lot of college football don’t realize how good the top few teams are now. They are closer to pro teams than at any time in history. The coaching is elite. They get the top players from all over the country (which wasn’t the case 5 or 10 years ago). Recruiting was regional with a couple of exceptions. Alabama would have never had a QB from Hawaii, a LT and RB from California, etc... Recruiting has changed. The top teams no longer have 4 or 5 pros as people like to argue. They have 10+ guys that will be first rounders and 30 pros. So while you can say, “an NFL team has 53” they certainly don’t have the top end talent. That gets redistributed at the next level. That doesn’t happen in college it gets hoarded.  Robert Foster would have been the 4th or 5th passing option at Alabama if he had another year. 8 months later he was our first option.

If anything, the lesson should be to focus your attention on big time recruits. Much like the way that technology and information have lowered the percentage of draft busts, the same has happened in recruiting. These recruiting services are much closer to right than ever. The top guys go to the top schools. Their production may be spread out because of all of the other top guys there. To stick with the Foster example, he was a 5 star recruit but a backup at Bama. He wasn’t a backup because he was bad, there was just other elite talent. You may find more productive guys that played at Arizona but that’s a function of opportunity and not talent. If you follow recruiting you’ll see the massive gap between the top programs and everyone else. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

elliott2.jpg

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I took Georgia +12 but teased the money line and I think I was gunshy about doing it again

Yeah, I pounded Georgia. I had them -13, -12, -6 and -6.5. I had them straight, in parlays and teasers. I had like 6 different open bets all tied to UGA (which is really dumb by the way) and lost them all. I should have hedges with a UT ML bet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You missed the point entirely. The SEC has been so lapped up by ESPN that they yapped and yapped that 2-loss UGA should have gotten in because they... lost to Bama and it was close so that meant they were the only ones who could really compete with Bama. Meanwhile they both got waxed by the Big 12 and ACC champs. Of course Bama should have been in the playoff. When UGA narrowly lost to Bama, to me it didn’t show that UGA was that great, but rather that Bama wasn’t as good as i thought and I predicted Clemson would win it all.  It was the UGA narrative that was hilarious. It was clearly Oklahoma’s spot. What the heck does Purdue have to do with anything? Not everything has to be about Ohio state, in fact I’ve consistently stated that I didn’t think they would or should make the playoff this year....

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just think that people that don’t watch a lot of college football don’t realize how good the top few teams are now. They are closer to pro teams than at any time in history. The coaching is elite. They get the top players from all over the country (which wasn’t the case 5 or 10 years ago). Recruiting was regional with a couple of exceptions. Alabama would have never had a QB from Hawaii, a LT and RB from California, etc... Recruiting has changed. The top teams no longer have 4 or 5 pros as people like to argue. They have 10+ guys that will be first rounders and 30 pros. So while you can say, “an NFL team has 53” they certainly don’t have the top end talent. That gets redistributed at the next level. That doesn’t happen in college it gets hoarded.  Robert Foster would have been the 4th or 5th passing option at Alabama if he had another year. 8 months later he was our first option.

If anything, the lesson should be to focus your attention on big time recruits. Much like the way that technology and information have lowered the percentage of draft busts, the same has happened in recruiting. These recruiting services are much closer to right than ever. The top guys go to the top schools. Their production may be spread out because of all of the other top guys there. To stick with the Foster example, he was a 5 star recruit but a backup at Bama. He wasn’t a backup because he was bad, there was just other elite talent. You may find more productive guys that played at Arizona but that’s a function of opportunity and not talent. If you follow recruiting you’ll see the massive gap between the top programs and everyone else..

I put the over/under for the 44 starters last night being in the NFL in 5 years time at 35. That was a game of two absolutely stacked rosters. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If anything, the lesson should be to focus your attention on big time recruits. Much like the way that technology and information have lowered the percentage of draft busts, the same has happened in recruiting. These recruiting services are much closer to right than ever. The top guys go to the top schools. Their production may be spread out because of all of the other top guys there. To stick with the Foster example, he was a 5 star recruit but a backup at Bama. He wasn’t a backup because he was bad, there was just other elite talent. You may find more productive guys that played at Arizona but that’s a function of opportunity and not talent. If you follow recruiting you’ll see the massive gap between the top programs and everyone else. 

elliott2.jpg

Yeah, I pounded Georgia. I had them -13, -12, -6 and -6.5. I had them straight, in parlays and teasers. I had like 6 different open bets all tied to UGA (which is really dumb by the way) and lost them all. I should have hedges with a UT ML bet.

The coaching was elite except that baffling fake FG.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I put the over/under for the 44 starters last night being in the NFL in 5 years time at 35. That was a game of two absolutely stacked rosters. 

The D and the O-line for sure, hopefully a few skill players can make a lasting impact as well.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, but people were calling this Alabama team the greatest of all time and they got absolutely housed by college team...+28.5 against professionals should be laid to rest once and for all. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wish the game was much closer and not decided so early, but I'm glad Clemson won.

One team has a QB and the other doesn't...you saw the result.

'Bama will probably send like 15 guys to the NFL in the draft, but they don't seem to like good QBs down there...or good place kickers!  

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, but people were calling this Alabama team the greatest of all time and they got absolutely housed by college team...+28.5 against professionals should be laid to rest once and for all. 

i've learned to never pay any attention to the stats that the announcer reads off endlessly about how a great team trampled 10 terrible ones, but they have NOTHING ELSE to talk about during the game...

at Columbus in the 2000s i was asked how good Mike Hart is and i quoted his impressive average rushing yards heading into The Game, and those around me nodded and said "we'll see today how good he REALLY is..."

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Wish the game was much closer and not decided so early, but I'm glad Clemson won.

'Bama will probably send like 15 guys to the NFL in the draft, but they don't seem to like good QBs down there...or good place kickers!  

I’ve read multiple people in this forum calling Tagovailoa as a top 10 pick...

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I’ve read multiple people in this forum calling Tagovailoa as a top 10 pick...

i objected to him already enshrined in Canton in early September

tinker-toy option QBs almost always have no hope of cutting it with the men

i wish they'd let the QB try to drop back and throw like a real QB in games that are obvious smashing of cupcakes, but NOPE!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That doesn’t even account for the redshirts or young guys playing behind someone like Mitch Hyatt. That’s the perfect example. Jackson Carmen is a freshman backup LT. He is 6’6” 350 lbs. He was a 5 star, the #1 or #2 OT coming out last year and the number 17 ranked player nationally. He will be a star and get drafted early. He wasn’t on the field yesterday. That’s just a microcosm for what’s happening now. These teams have SO many NFL players. It isn’t evenly distributed like it was 5-10 years ago.

The coaching was elite except that baffling fake FG.

That was one of the worst calls ever!! Chuck Pagano was smiling somewhere. The holder took off with the kicker as the lead blocker!!

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Tua’s a good QB, best they have had in awhile. But he was a little overrated because he looked his worst against the best teams he played and was so far apart from Lawrence last night. His numbers weren’t bad but he coughed it up too much, crumbled under pressure, and couldn’t make the plays when needed. He’s not used to having to come from behind like that. He wouldn’t handle the blitz and seemed unable to process in that situation. I will say that his coaches did him no favors. Outcoached in all phases. 

38 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Clemson's DC is worth every cent of the $2 million they're paying him.

He rubs me the wrong way.  I know he doesn't want to leave his current position, but I think that is a wise decision because I think he would struggle running a full team.

Reminds me that annoying father that thought his kid was the greatest thing ever, and coached the team to make sure his kid played.  Seems like a guy that just doesn't shut up.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think Alabama game would of been close or winning if they ran the ball whole game. That run game looks Superman badass. Of course they went cute.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

i objected to him already enshrined in Canton in early September

tinker-toy option QBs almost always have no hope of cutting it with the men

i wish they'd let the QB try to drop back and throw like a real QB in games that are obvious smashing of cupcakes, but NOPE!!

Tua really doesn’t run the read option much . He runs for average about 3-4 times a game and he probably had more scripted runs last night  than all season 

they ran it way more with hurts than Tua

He threw for 4000 yards pretty much at an extremely efficient rate and was throwing the rock all year. Yesterday was his first maybe 2nd bad game 

Clemson also has probably the best DC in the country 

Tua is still probably going round 1 whenever he declares. What you saw was the best 19 year old QB of all time in Lawrence... How well he played should be the story 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tua really doesn’t run the read option much . He runs for average about 3-4 times a game and he probably had more scripted runs last night  than all season 

they ran it way more with hurts than Tua

He threw for 4000 yards pretty much at an extremely efficient rate and was throwing the rock all year. Yesterday was his first maybe 2nd bad game 

Clemson also has probably the best DC in the country 

Tua is still probably going round 1 whenever he declares. What you saw was the best 19 year old QB of all time in Lawrence... How well he played should be the story 

Tua got exposed against good defenses. Played well against LSU, then bad vs Miss St, UGA, Clemson. His stats vs top 30 defenses: 6 ‘TD, 6 INT, 7.5 ypa, 58% completion 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Tua got exposed against good defenses. Played well against LSU, then bad vs Miss St, UGA, Clemson. His stats vs top 30 defenses: 6 ‘TD, 6 INT, 7.5 ypa, 58% completion 

He is still a true sophomore. He has a lot of time to grow and get better 

he woulda got exposed if he was a senior and played this poor 

he still has tons of tools coaches and scouts love and will definitely be a high pick

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is still a true sophomore. He has a lot of time to grow and get better 

he woulda got exposed if he was a senior and played this poor 

he still has tons of tools coaches and scouts love and will definitely be a high pick

Totally agree, but I’m commenting on the hype that he was the best QB in the country 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Totally agree, but I’m commenting on the hype that he was the best QB in the country 

Agree. The potential is there for him to be it, but he isn’t quite polished yet 

He is all physical, not mental

Lawrence is mentally superior to everybody 

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

How long have you been waiting to post this? Seriously, you know a ton about football. Yours post are great and much anticipated. The above is SO beneath you.

Look, Alabama got their clocks cleaned and deserved to lose no doubt. Now you want to criticize Tua, who was 2nd in the Heisman voting? Sounds like that is your problem Yolo, that he beat out your QB (and deserved to btw).

LSU had a very good defense. Bama 29-LSU 0. Miss St. certainly had a top 5 defense. He beat them 21-0. The game was never in doubt and well managed. Against Georgia, Tua had a leg injury, a calf injury, and a serious ankle injury which still lingers. Again, I am NOT making excuses for the loss to Clemson. AND, I will gladly admit that he is surrounded by talent at every position which makes life easier for him.

Still, this was his first full season. The kid is a fantastic QB who is smart, has a great arm. is accurate, and can (when healthy) even run.

Fields? He couldn't even start for UGA and sat behind Fromme. He looks like more of a gadget player/running qb to me than someone who will ever be in a class with Tua. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Either way, I have no axe to grind  (ahem) and sincerely wish the Buckeyes and you personally good luck.......until if and when you play the Crimson Tide. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.