the Edelman TD

Hellcamino

I hate this rule! 

If a runner gets wrapped up, stopped completely and then taken completely off his feet and pulled to the ground, it should not matter that he was laying on a body instead of the grass.  The tackler, then thinking the play is over, releases runner and he's now allowed to get back on to his feet and start running again?

At the VERY least it should be ruled forward progress.

6 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Somehow I get this feeling that if a Bills player did this, Shady/Zay/Foster/whomever, board members here would be singing their praises and saying what a heads up play that was. A Patriots player does this and people cry foul!!

“People “ didn’t. This “person “ did.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I disagree.   The rule is fine.   Don't let go of the guy until the whistle blows.

I agree in some instances where runners make similar plays avoiding the turf, usually around the goal line on inside run plays.  they might use another players body to help keep from touching but the are always moving forward and will have at least one foot on the ground to push themselves forward.

This one today was different in my eyes. Open field tackle where dude is wrapped up, swung around and planted right on his butt.  Forward progress completely stopped. Just because his butt landed on the leg of a player already covering the ground means his forward progress was not stopped?  

A short time after that play was the nice throw to Foster that took into NE territory.  he was upright on both feet still driving into the defender but the second he stopped moving forward, they blew the whistle for forward progress. Even though it looked like he might of been able to get more. 

So, his forward progress was considered stopped. While Edelman, completely off his feet and just sitting on a players leg, forward progress was not considered stopped?  

49 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

this only happens to poorly coached teams. You play to the whistle, can't let him go, lie on top of him until the play is blown dead

ok, I guess then I'm mad at McD for my not liking whats considered stopping forward progress?

30 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Somehow I get this feeling that if a Bills player did this, Shady/Zay/Foster/whomever, board members here would be singing their praises and saying what a heads up play that was. A Patriots player does this and people cry foul!!

I'm not hating on Edelman for this, or crying foul.  I was simply stating I don't like the rule. too inconsistent. Foster was not required to touch the turf to be ruled down, why was Edelman?

The Refs disagree. We’ve all seen other plays like this. There’s a chance that the ball carrier can pop up and continue on. In Foster’s case they ruled an upright player’s forward progress stopped and one of them blew the whistle primarily to avoid one of the players from getting injured. 

Football is played with a ball that has two pointy ends. It bounces funny. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Wrong

I would say "Wow, we got lucky there, one of these ridiculously interpreted rules that I dislike finally worked in our favor!"

Of course we all know that will probably never happen though.

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

The Refs disagree. We’ve all seen other plays like this. There’s a chance that the ball carrier can pop up and continue on. In Foster’s case they ruled an upright player’s forward progress stopped and one of them blew the whistle primarily to avoid one of the players from getting injured. 

Football is played with a ball that has two pointy ends. It bounces funny. 

Ha,  The Refs and I disagree on a lot of stuff!

Like Hughes getting tackled from behind again today on more than one occasion with no call, but I guess if the Refs say that's not holding, it must not be.

7 minutes ago, Hellcamino said:

Ha,  The Refs and I disagree on a lot of stuff!

Like Hughes getting tackled from behind again today on more than one occasion with no call, but I guess if the Refs say that's not holding, it must not be.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Jasovon said:

this only happens to poorly coached teams. You play to the whistle, can't let him go, lie on top of him until the play is blown dead

It happened to New England in 2006. Jerricho Cotchery of the Jets got up from an apparent tackle and ran 70 yards untouched 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Terrible thread. The officials got the call right. There's nothing to complain about with that TD. 

It's ok. The OP of this thread doesn't like the rule and would like to see it changed.

Just last week someone started a thread about a player fumbling out of the opponents end zone.  By rule the call was correct, yet the OP of that one still decided to start a thread about it.

1 hour ago, Hellcamino said:

I guess that's my point. why hadn't it?

This was deemed down enough to blow whistle.

539793525_ScreenShot2018-12-24at3_31_26AM.thumb.jpg.6e95d01fc4d0c9cfdedb19b8616ef303.jpg

This was not?

289583602_ScreenShot2018-12-24at3_29_24AM.thumb.jpg.18a4ea6e8dd05d67897340dabe5f0586.jpg

that's all I'm sayin

Edelman was still moving forward. 

Also, who thinks a still frame is productive for discussing whether guys are moving?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It's ok. The OP of this thread doesn't like the rule and would like to see it changed.

Just last week someone started a thread about a player fumbling out of the opponents end zone.  By rule the call was correct, yet the OP of that one still decided to start a thread about it.

Oh man. That thread.

I mean, the rule makes perfect sense:  to prevent the offense from fumbling into the end zone on purpose when they can't reach the goal line.  

Case closed.

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Edelman was still moving forward. 

Also, who thinks a still frame is productive for discussing whether guys are moving?

They are two totally different situations of forward progress vs. downed by contact.  Both calls were correct. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh man. That thread.

I mean, the rule makes perfect sense:  to prevent the offense from fumbling into the end zone on purpose when they can't reach the goal line.  

Case closed.

It should be cased closed with different rules for the end zone vs. elsewhere in the field of play, but there are many who believe it's too punitive for some reason with the offense getting a do over.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The dismissive nature of some posters on this board is puzzling.

The subjective nature of “forward progress” calls is a legit concern.

A good example of this is the Robert woods fumble against the Giants a few years ago. Woods was stopped and held in place for multiple seconds before the Giants were able to strip the ball from him. I was so irritated that they didn’t blow it dead, I spent the rest of the season pointing out every time a play was blown dead sooner than the Woods play. My chick loved that season ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

It was a heads up play on Edelman's part because he's been coached well and plays to the whistle as someone else mentioned.  And it was a bone head play on the Bills part not to play to the whistle.  That's basic Pop Warner football stuff right there.  

Edited by chaccof
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

I hate this rule! 

If a runner gets wrapped up, stopped completely and then taken completely off his feet and pulled to the ground, it should not matter that he was laying on a body instead of the grass.  The tackler, then thinking the play is over, releases runner and he's now allowed to get back on to his feet and start running again?

Play to the whistle.  Don’t think, you only hurt the team.

This is an example where I perceive the Bills as not well prepared or coached.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

I hate this rule! 

This is a case of you’re mad cause it happened to the Bills.. If it was the other way around yesterday you’d love the rule or we wouldn’t be reading this thread period.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Had they wrapped up Edelman until the whistle blew, it would've meant that the Paytoilets would've gotten a TD from the run game two plays later.  

I needed that td for my fantasy team lol

So ridiculous. The rule is fine. In fact, the rule is great. I would never want them to change it.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Play to the whistle.  Don’t think, you only hurt the team.

This is an example where I perceive the Bills as not well prepared or coached.

I'm pretty sure every coach on the planet harps on their players to "play to the whistle", especially a guy like McDermott. This is not a coaching issue. This was just a strange play and mental flop by the defenders.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This could also be applied to Sacks - pretty sure everyone remembers Hughs hugging Luck for like 4 seconds and being like - don't want a penalty, better let him go, and then watching him escape to complete a pass.

Simply put - the game is just too fast for current ref staff - they need a set of refs with more defined ruling back in the NYC office that reviews plays and overturns poor or wishy-washy ref calls.

Just now, Rk_Bills86 said:

This could also be applied to Sacks - pretty sure everyone remembers Hughs hugging Luck for like 4 seconds and being like - don't want a penalty, better let him go, and then watching him escape to complete a pass.

Simply put - the game is just too fast for current ref staff - they need a set of refs with more defined ruling back in the NYC office that reviews plays and overturns poor or wishy-washy ref calls.

Bills need to build a real team and stop praying to get bailed out by the refs

1 minute ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Refs have shown clear favoritism and lack of uniformity on play calls for the last five year. This isn't even a debate. That play in Miami where the guy took Allen down by the neck would have absolutely been a flag if it had been Brady.

Right.

If it wasn’t for those pesky refs the Bills would probably have the #1 seed locked up.

• Like (+1) 1

When I reffed I wanted to see the best talent perform to the credit of the game.

when one team is just way too good and fast and talented you can’t do anything to make the sad sack team look good

Why the Bills called time outs in the 4th is a good question, it just made it seem so much worse