Josh Gordon Stepping Away from Football in Advance of this Sunday's Game; Returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended List Indefinitely

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, Augie said:

If he just doesn’t want it, that’s hard to overcome. I pray he can find some balance in his life. What might appear to be a dream to me, or you, is not the dream of the next guy.

People talk about being rich and famous. I’d love rich, but I would HATE famous. And I’d rather be happy than rich. Everyone is different. Don’t judge so much, that’s just based upon your personal perspective. 

and smoking weed makes some people happy,

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it...

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Browns tried everything... psychologists. Counselors. Babysitters. They wanted to help him but he doesn’t care about football. Been that way since HS. He needs to want it himself. 

Yup.  Should just leave it altogether and go back to a private life.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s a bargaining chip in the next CBA. It all comes down to money. As opposed to the government, where it all comes down to stupid about money. Lobbyists carry weight. OxyContin, which should be illegal, was all the rage. Something like 85% of all the Oxy sold in the US was sold in Florida. Pill mills generated billions in profits, and people came from all over the country to hit a dozen docs and take it back home. 

It all comes down to friggin’ money in the end. 

I think that the NFL is tied to whatever the federal government's policy is at the time.  I don't think that the NFL has balls so big to go against the Feds.  The best a pro MJ advocate in the NFL can hope for is that the NFL will announce that it will not test for pot but will not openly endorse it or tie it to player health issues.

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And while mental health and addiction are obviously serious issues as we've discussed in this thread, can everything he's done really be blamed on mental health issues? It seems like a bit of a stretch to me. 

I really recommend people read that SI article. Especially people who are defending him. I'd like to hear their thoughts after reading. And I'm not trying be an ass, I am genuinely curious about others' take on the article. 

I don't know (nor want to know, really) enough about the details of Josh Gordon's childhood to know if this applies, but child psychiatrists such as Bruce Perry make the point that there seem to be critical windows of development where infants and toddlers need to have their needs consistently met in order to develop into functional human beings with empathy, self-control and so forth.   My point would be if someone has a rough enough start, it can cause fundamental mental health issues that influence all their actions, yes.

The thing is, Josh Gordon due to his enormous athletic talent, had opportunities not available to thousands of kids in similar environments.  My sympathies kinda go to them.

If someone want an interesting light read on the topic, I recommend Perry's book "The Boy who was raised as a dog"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that the NFL is tied to whatever the federal government's policy is at the time.  I don't think that the NFL has balls so big to go against the Feds.  The best a pro MJ advocate in the NFL can hope for is that the NFL will announce that it will not test for pot but will not openly endorse it or tie it to player health issues.

Thats exactly ehat the nba does.

I think Tedy Bruschi said it best when he said his football issue is secondary.. what everyone should be concerned about is this man being able to get himself clean again and live a long healthy life with or without football.  (He has a child he needs be there for)

12 hours ago, Augie said:

If he just doesn’t want it, that’s hard to overcome. I pray he can find some balance in his life. What might appear to be a dream to me, or you, is not the dream of the next guy.

People talk about being rich and famous. I’d love rich, but I would HATE famous. And I’d rather be happy than rich. Everyone is different. Don’t judge so much, that’s just based upon your personal perspective. 

The happiest people are those who enjoy both financial security and anonymity

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

...and that is exactly what I think will happen, given the desired concessions from the players. They will not go PRO pot, but just look away. It’s all about money, they don’t care what the Feds think. 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, Figster said:

and smoking weed makes some people happy,

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it...

he is now free to smoke all the weed he wants to stay happy

only costs him several million, but it's not addictive

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Another enlightened view. If it were someone in your family of course you would have given up on them.  ;)

A lot of families are forced to, but you wouldn't know. You've never had to commit a family member because they are incapable of taking care of themselves. You don't know MY story, so your cavalier attitude is not appreciated.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

...and that is exactly what I think will happen, given the desired concessions from the players. They will not go PRO pot, but just look away. It’s all about money, they don’t care what the Feds think. 

Oh, I think the NFL cares what the Feds think as they are vulnerable to the machinations of the government.  Right now the NFL has a the perfect excuse to abandon testing for MJ as so many states including ones where players live or play have legalized it so the NFL will say it is too complicated to enforce.  All the old guard owners are gone that formed their opinions from watching the 1960's television show Dragnet so I don't see anybody from that position having a problem washing their hands of pot testing.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Oh, I think the NFL cares what the Feds think as they are vulnerable to the machinations of the government.  Right now the NFL has a the perfect excuse to abandon testing for MJ as so many states including ones where players live or play have legalized it so the NFL will say it is too complicated to enforce.  All the old guard owners are gone that formed their opinions from watching the 1960's television show Dragnet so I don't see anybody from that position having a problem washing their hands of pot testing.

For the right price, the NFL will do what the NBA and everyone else does.....just look away. It’s not their job to enforce federal restrictions. They are all about the $$$$$$. 

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

A lot of families are forced to, but you wouldn't know. You've never had to commit a family member because they are incapable of taking care of themselves. You don't know MY story, so your cavalier attitude is not appreciated.

I didn't claim to know your story, but I do know the attitude you displayed in your post about him was dismissive just because he's a football player.  You most certainly don't know my story which again shows you should just remain silent on the subject instead of spouting off. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see how the NFL can let Gordon back.  He's had chance after chance after chance, and the supposedly model franchise who can keep anyone in line...couldn't.  I see Kareem Hunt back in the NFL well before Gordon.

Oh no, I popped again on a piss test- I better tell everyone im stepping away for my mental health as the pending suspension looms overhead. C’mon Josh, we aren’t that stupid.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't see how the NFL can let Gordon back.  He's had chance after chance after chance, and the supposedly model franchise who can keep anyone in line...couldn't.  I see Kareem Hunt back in the NFL well before Gordon.

I agree- imo Josh is done in the NFL- too many chances. Hunt will be back especially once his suspension is over and a team needs a rb.

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Is it really "stepping away" when you are bout to suspended again indefinitely??

Nope.  It's like quitting before you know you're about to get fired.  It was an obvious and disingenuous attempt to get ahead of the suspension announcement.  Where he goes from here is anyone's guess but he should fade into oblivion as a footnote on wasted talent.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Because Belichick is a genius and they were successful with Randy Moss once. Not so good with any other reclamation projects, though.

Remember when Scott Chandler was going to destroy us??

Hogan has done ok. 

The Patriots had no indications that troubled wide receiver Josh Gordon was facing yet another substance-abuse suspension -- one that once again casts his NFL career into doubt -- and hope to able to continue supporting him during his indefinite banishment from the league.

Team sources said that Gordon had been a good teammate and was well-liked by coaches, and there had not been any recent indications that he had failed any tests or had his playing status in doubt. The team's coaching staff found out on Thursday morning, within hours of Gordon releasing his statement that he would be taking a leave from the Patriots, sources said; some had an opportunity to speak to the former Pro Bowler before he left the team. The staff also did not receive word of the NFL's suspension of Gordon until Thursday as well.

New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Thursday for violating the league's substance abuse policy, but there's a chance he could be back on the field for the start of the 2019 season.

"He would have to show the NFL and (Commissioner) Roger Goodell that he is clean for a sustained period of time," NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on "NFL GameDay Morning" on Sunday. "Could he be back possibly for the start of the 2019 season? From what I understand, it is possible, it would, of course, be a little bit quick, but it is possible for that to happen."

Rapoport also reported that Gordon's suspension stemmed from multiple violations of NFL's substance abuse policy.

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Thursday for violating the league's substance abuse policy, but there's a chance he could be back on the field for the start of the 2019 season.

"He would have to show the NFL and (Commissioner) Roger Goodell that he is clean for a sustained period of time," NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on "NFL GameDay Morning" on Sunday. "Could he be back possibly for the start of the 2019 season? From what I understand, it is possible, it would, of course, be a little bit quick, but it is possible for that to happen."

Rapoport also reported that Gordon's suspension stemmed from multiple violations of NFL's substance abuse policy.

That would be freaking ridiculous.... It's like his 5th positive test and he would only miss 2 regular season games??? He needs to be suspended for 3 years atleast.

Edited by Kmart128

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Back for the start of 2019?  Are you freaking kidding me?

Makes zero sense.  The collectivelly bargained diacipline for this offense is banishment from the league, but somehow they are going to change it to a coupke games?   Makea no sense.

19 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Makes zero sense.  The collectivelly bargained diacipline for this offense is banishment from the league, but somehow they are going to change it to a coupke games?   Makea no sense.

He won't be back.  Much less for the start of the 2019 season.