Josh Gordon Stepping Away from Football in Advance of this Sunday's Game; Returned to the Reserve/Commissioner Suspended List Indefinitely

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

On another subject while I completely think pot is harmless for pretty much all NFL players (there's always exceptions). the drug has absolutely no PED qualities.. in fact I'd imagine quite the opposite and it'd be pretty damn hard to focus on minute details like the PLAYBOOK and snap count, and for all intents and purposes should be the players' business using the drug....

I don't find for a second that it helps with pain relief anymore than placebo compared to a legitimate narcotic PAINKILLER which specifically targets pain receptors while marijuana is simply a mind altering drug.. maybe it distracts you from pain I GUESS. Pharmacology of marijuana simply points it to be a psychoactive drug so any percieved effects on pain relief are just that.. percieved lol.

So I don't get the push to allow marijuana in the NFL as a friggin replacement to pain. I just don't think it really needs to be banned since it really does nothing to these players whatsoever other than what they think they are benefitting from it lol. Always found that a weird argument.

Don't ban pot and players will stop taking pain killers?? Nah there's no benign action from the drug in that regard. Just don't ban it cause it doesn't matter and if someone thinks it helps.. cool.. whatever. It really does nothing to your neurotransmitters or body at all as far as modern medicine is supposed to do for ailments. And I know a million people say anecdotally it cures any symptom you can name.. that's just because it's a psychoactive drug that creates a placebo for whatever you want to imagine it benefits you for.

I respectfully disagree. Completely. There are tons of studies out there about the effectiveness cannibis of for pain relief.  Marijuana is not just limited to smoking a joint and getting high. There is plenty of evidence that CBD, which does not cause a high at all, does interact with the brain to cause pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.  This is available through oils, balms, drops, gummies, pills etc.  I have heard interviews with many former NFL players, such as Kyle Turley, who swear that CBD helped break their addiction to opioids and effectively saved their lives. In spite of the fact that CBD does not "get you high" it is still on the NFL banned substance list. So again, I disagree with your argument that there are no beneficial effects that would come from removing marijuana from the banned list, or at least altering the language to allow CBD usage. (honestly not sure if that is possible or not  or if tests could differentiate.) 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Thank you (+1) 2

By John Aguilar | jaguilar@denverpost.com | The Denver Post

Amid a rise in Colorado auto fatalities involving marijuana, state transportation officials are surveying thousands of residents this year to better understand public attitudes toward driving under the influence of pot, with the hopes of blunting the increasingly deadly trend.

The Cannabis Conversation, a campaign led by the Colorado Department of Transportation, law enforcement and the marijuana industry, launched this year. It held its first open house in the metro area Wednesday at Denver’s Montclair Recreation Center, and there will be more meetings in Fort Collins, Pueblo and Denver in the coming weeks.

The number of marijuana-related automobile fatalities in Colorado, as measured by the drug’s chief psychoactive ingredient, hit 77 in 2016, the latest in a series of sharp increases in recent years. Fifty-one of those drivers had levels of that substance, called Delta 9 THC, above the threshold for cannabis impairment under Colorado law.

And according to a survey done by CDOT last year, just over half of marijuana users said they had gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle in the last 30 days within two hours of using the drug. That percentage was little changed from the response to the same question a year earlier.

“That’s really troubling to us,” CDOT communications manager Sam Cole told an audience gathered at a Lowry neighborhood recreation center last week. “We’re a little frustrated we’re not moving the needle on driver behavior.”

29 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I respectfully disagree. Completely. There are tons of studies out there about the effectiveness cannibis of for pain relief.  Marijuana is not just limited to smoking a joint and getting high. There is plenty of evidence that CBD, which does not cause a high at all, does interact with the brain to cause pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.  This is available through oils, balms, drops, gummies, pills etc.  I have heard interviews with many former NFL players, such as Kyle Turley, who swear that CBD helped break their addiction to opioids and effectively saved their lives. In spite of the fact that CBD does not "get you high" it is still on the NFL banned substance list. So again, I disagree with your argument that there are no beneficial effects that would come from removing marijuana from the banned list, or at least altering the language to allow CBD usage. (honestly not sure if that is possible or not  or if tests could differentiate.) 

That's true I actually just found out about CBD. Always thought it was all about THC. But is CBD even banned?? It's completely legal in my neck of the woods and I don't think it's a scheduled drug itself. Federally. Could be wrong. But you can buy those extracts. I do think THC and whatever else is active in cannibis has it's uses.. proven to be very effective for cancer patients in stimulating appetite among other things. And stimulating appetite for cancer patients has a huge deal going through chemo

23 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

That's true I actually just found out about CBD. Always thought it was all about THC. But is CBD even banned?? It's completely legal in my neck of the woods and I don't think it's a scheduled drug itself. Federally. Could be wrong. But you can buy those extracts. I do think THC and whatever else is active in cannibis has it's uses.. proven to be very effective for cancer patients in stimulating appetite among other things. And stimulating appetite for cancer patients has a huge deal going through chemo

CBD is on the NFL banned list, despite the lobbying by many former players for a change. My guess is, the NFL will consider a change in the next CBA negotiation, and use the removal from the banned list as a bargaining chip to get something they want in return.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

CBD is on the NFL banned list, despite the lobbying by many former players for a change. My guess is, the NFL will consider a change in the next CBA negotiation, and use the removal from the banned list as a bargaining chip to get something they want in return.

Interesting. It's actually banned by the feds but pretty much readily available in any state on a hemp technicality. Can sell/grow plants with no THC content and extract for just CBD.

I think if it was DEA approved it'd be a different story. but I can't see a federally scheduled drug being okayed by the NFL. I'd also suspect testing for CBD is a method to make sure players are on zero cannibinoids.. just another way to catch players smoking low THC marijuana even if it's just the chemical extract.

Not afraid to say I've given it a shot, it's everywhere!.. and it's like taking green tea with high strength ibuprofen. Calming, cognitive, and does help with pain. And I have read that it truly does have medicinal/OTC quality relief. Absolutely no psychoactive properties.. just another light benign drug is the consensus I hear from doctors.

Can't see it being allowed by the NFL until the DEA changes its virtually unenforced federal legality at the very least though.

I'll admit ibuprofen can take a beating on the body from my playing days. Only OTC painkiller that relieves and reduces swelling and recovers athletes. And it wrecked my stomach having to play through injuries and constantly take it multiple times a day as a soccer player playing 90 minutes of high level competition running at least 10 miles a game and playing every other day. You need it to do anything possible to reduce reaggrivating muscle pulls and tears playing at the clip college soccer players do.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

10 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.  I suggest you shut up on the subject!

Absolutely not.  Speaking as someone with close to 14 years of sobriety, it absolutely amazes me, the idiots on this board that are so narrow-minded, living in a bubble, that really have no idea what addiction or mental health really is.

WE don't get SIX CHANCES like this star athlete got, so spare me the narrow-minded soapbox talk. Sports enabled him and we shouldn't treat him with kid gloves because he continued to cash checks and not take his health seriously... if he was REALLY troubled, he would have left a LONG TIME AGO, and not because the NFL FORCED him to.

10 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.  I suggest you shut up on the subject!

Absolutely not.  Speaking as someone with close to 14 years of sobriety, it absolutely amazes me, the idiots on this board that are so narrow-minded, living in a bubble, that really have no idea what addiction or mental health really is.

Amen! 

8 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

WE don't get SIX CHANCES like this star athlete got, so spare me the narrow-minded soapbox talk. Sports enabled him and we shouldn't treat him with kid gloves because he continued to cash checks and not take his health seriously... if he was REALLY troubled, he would have left a LONG TIME AGO, and not because the NFL FORCED him to.

Another enlightened view. If it were someone in your family of course you would have given up on them.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It amazes me how many people talk about the millions of dollars, and cashing the checks. That sounds like petty jealousy to me. Addicts don’t see money as the bottom line. It’s a different way of thinking. If you haven’t lived it, you don’t get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Another enlightened view. If it were someone in your family of course you would have given up on them.  ;)

My family no.

someone who I will never meet and only have any interest about due to a leisure time silly pursuit, much more likely.

15 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Frankly I hope he figures out what he’s passionate about and get as many chances as he needs to get it right. What do I really have to gain for hating on the dude? 

Lord knows someone could’ve judged me along the way and I wouldn’t have looked good at times 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His feeling would be quite mutual I'm sure. 

He is little more than a comic book character to us

Nothing to do with helping family or friends or real people in our life

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So the line actually went UP to 13.5 with Gordon announcement... 

Reduces the odds of a Bills back door cover

Edited by row_33

10 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I can’t speak to Gordon’s issues but wish him well. 

For anyone here struggling with addiction - keep fighting and never give up. 

For anyone staying sober - God bless and keep it up ODAT!

Relapsed afted 30 days. Tough holidays for me coming up. Scary sh**

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Can't see it being allowed by the NFL until the DEA changes its virtually unenforced federal legality at the very least though.

I don't think legality is even an issue. Many players, like Seantrell Henderson, could easily get a prescription for medicinal marijuana, or CBD, but the league will not allow it even if prescribed by a legitimate Doctor.  It is legal in many places the US, but still on the list.  As an example, the World Doping Agency or whatever it is called (which is usually pretty strict) has already legalized CBD, but as I said earlier, I believe the NFL is planning on using this as a bargaining chip, otherwise they would have already taken it off of the banned list.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don't think legality is even an issue. Many players, like Seantrell Henderson, could easily get a prescription for medicinal marijuana, or CBD, but the league will not allow it even if prescribed by a legitimate Doctor.  It is legal in many places the US, but still on the list.  As an example, the World Doping Agency or whatever it is called (which is usually pretty strict) has already legalized CBD, but as I said earlier, I believe the NFL is planning on using this as a bargaining chip, otherwise they would have already taken it off of the banned list.

These young men fight their tails off week in and week out and give it their all. I think we can all agree they need to refrain from the hardened street drugs but this CDC oil doesn't sound like anything deleterious. I think the NFL has the best of intentions but they may be missing the mark on this issue.

29 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

These young men fight their tails off week in and week out and give it their all. I think we can all agree they need to refrain from the hardened street drugs but this CDC oil doesn't sound like anything deleterious. I think the NFL has the best of intentions but they may be missing the mark on this issue.

Look up some of the former players, like Kyle Turley, Jake Plummer, Eugene Monroe and many others who advocate for legal marijuana and CBD in the NFL. (and nationally)  They say that these "medications" which in many cases don't even get you high, saved them from opioid addiction, suicidal thoughts, etc. and gave them back a quality of life.  It is certainly worth investigating further by the NFL, and the federal government, in the very near future.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I'm beating a dead horse here but i can't say legality isn't an issue. It simply isn't federally recognized.. as opposed to vicoden or xanax. Feds have approved these drugs medicinally while only states 30 so states have approved any cannibinoids. 

I mean idk if every legislation is this disjointed, I hope not lol, but I'd have to assume the NFL seems to always take the federal stance on drugs regarding their drug testing.

Maybe I'm wrong with CBD. IDK.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Using leads to insisting that non-users get bogged down in 40 kinds of conversation that make the non-user almost vomit to have to bother with 

because using mean one takes up lying constantly, even when lying serves purpose at all

narcissism all the time, and lies

4 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

They really seem to sincerely like Josh Gordon the man even in their ho-hum Patriot way. 

They really have seemed to have rallied around him. I hate the Patriots as much as the next guy but I can absolutely respect a fanbase that supports someone that needs it from the unlikliest of places.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Thanks for posting. I don't know if anybody clicked the link here and read the SI article, but it does not paint Gordon in a positive light. If you did not like him before, you might actually like him less after reading. The author does imply that his handler seems to be manipulating him. It's hard to have empathy for the things that Gordon has done. It does not sound that he is all that sorry about them either. I don't know when his mental health issues started, but the crimes he's committed, the shooting, stealing, robbing cars, etc etc do not paint a pretty picture. I did not read this as a the story of a guy who had been "manipulated and used his entire life." That's just my conclusion, but I definitely recommend reading it and I am curious what others think after reading it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

6 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'm beating a dead horse here but i can't say legality isn't an issue. It simply isn't federally recognized.. as opposed to vicoden or xanax. Feds have approved these drugs medicinally while only states 30 so states have approved any cannibinoids. 

I mean idk if every legislation is this disjointed, I hope not lol, but I'd have to assume the NFL seems to always take the federal stance on drugs regarding their drug testing.

Maybe I'm wrong with CBD. IDK.

It’s a bargaining chip in the next CBA. It all comes down to money. As opposed to the government, where it all comes down to stupid about money. Lobbyists carry weight. OxyContin, which should be illegal, was all the rage. Something like 85% of all the Oxy sold in the US was sold in Florida. Pill mills generated billions in profits, and people came from all over the country to hit a dozen docs and take it back home. 

It all comes down to friggin’ money in the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks for posting. I don't know if anybody clicked the link here and read the SI article, but it does not paint Gordon in a positive light. If you did not like him before, you might actually like him less after reading. The author does imply that his handler seems to be manipulating him. It's hard to have empathy for the things that Gordon has done. It does not sound that he is all that sorry about them either. I don't know when his mental health issues started, but the crimes he's committed, the shooting, stealing, robbing cars, etc etc do not paint a pretty picture. I did not read this as a the story of a guy who had been "manipulated and used his entire life." That's just my conclusion, but I definitely recommend reading it and I am curious what others think after reading it. 

The Browns tried everything... psychologists. Counselors. Babysitters. They wanted to help him but he doesn’t care about football. Been that way since HS. He needs to want it himself. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Browns tried everything... psychologists. Counselors. Babysitters. They wanted to help him but he doesn’t care about football. Been that way since HS. He needs to want it himself. 

And while mental health and addiction are obviously serious issues as we've discussed in this thread, can everything he's done really be blamed on mental health issues? It seems like a bit of a stretch to me. 

I really recommend people read that SI article. Especially people who are defending him. I'd like to hear their thoughts after reading. And I'm not trying be an ass, I am genuinely curious about others' take on the article. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he just doesn’t want it, that’s hard to overcome. I pray he can find some balance in his life. What might appear to be a dream to me, or you, is not the dream of the next guy.

People talk about being rich and famous. I’d love rich, but I would HATE famous. And I’d rather be happy than rich. Everyone is different. Don’t judge so much, that’s just based upon your personal perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

If he just doesn’t want it, that’s hard to overcome. I pray he can find some balance in his life. What might appear to be a dream to me, or you, is not the dream of the next guy.

People talk about being rich and famous. I’d love rich, but I would HATE famous. And I’d rather be happy than rich. Everyone is different. Don’t judge so much, that’s just based upon your personal perspective. 

Truer words have never been spoken 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty Stark contrast with the Hardy article posted a few weeks earlier after his death. Idk why I see the parallel but both were very flawed men: one was ruined by defining himself to sports and not making it, the other ruined by making it yet failing to take sports as the sole focus. More perpendicular trajectories really.. and both ultimately had mental issues collapsing any dreams (although the parallel clearly ends at Hardy's fall from grace.. and hopefully Gordon continues to get by)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Pretty Stark contrast with the Hardy article posted a few weeks earlier after his death. Idk why I see the parallel but both were very flawed men: one was ruined by defining himself to sports and not making it, the other ruined by making it yet failing to take sports as the sole focus. More perpendicular trajectories really.. and both ultimately had mental issues collapsing any dreams (although the parallel clearly ends at Hardy's fall from grace.. and hopefully Gordon continues to get by)

I listened to a podcast that Joe Banner did with Andrew Brandt back when the Pats traded for him. He was pretty open about Gordon’s issues and everything they did. I think (from what I’ve heard) is that he had a group of people he can’t separate himself from and it’s to his detriment when it comes to overcoming his drug and alcohol problems. I listened to a bit of WEEI today and they talked about how much time Brady put in trying to work with him personally and professionally. The Pats put his locker right next to Brady’s. Unfortunately he needs more than a change of scenery.