Noah Fant in round 1

Wouldn't u like to have Ebron now? I was hoping the Bills would of signed him last offseason. At the end of last yr he played very well in the last 4gms. 

TEs usually take 3 to 4 yrs to develop into difference makers Ebron has followed in Vernon Davis career arch. I expect the same if we draft any TE this yr. Especially if its Fant.  I agree with this pk if we hit on Fant then the sky is the limit for this offense moving forward. Most elite offenses have dynamic TEs that are matchup nightmares. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Please no first round TE unless its late in the first. I would prefer us to shore up our Oline or a big time WR, assuming we stay put with our draft order

This is not the yr for big time Wrs. The first rd just not value at that position. I'd rather take the dynamic TE in the 1st and find value at Wr in the 2nd rd.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This is not the yr for big time Wrs. The first rd just not value at that position. I'd rather take the dynamic TE in the 1st and find value at Wr in the 2nd rd.

I agree with this. DK Metcalf is the stand out , but he comes with risk due to lack of production and ending his college career injured. I like Harmon but not high in the 1st. Fant as a weapon/release valve for JA, projects just as well as any WR and is equally a position of need. He can’t block so isn’t the complete package but trading back he would be an option. A clear upgrade over CC who could grow with JA.

49 minutes ago, Seoul_panther said:

I agree with this. DK Metcalf is the stand out , but he comes with risk due to lack of production and ending his college career injured. I like Harmon but not high in the 1st. Fant as a weapon/release valve for JA, projects just as well as any WR and is equally a position of need. He can’t block so isn’t the complete package but trading back he would be an option. A clear upgrade over CC who could grow with JA.

He can’t block.  No thanks with our 1st unless we trade way down 

• Like (+1) 2

Bills probably picking at 12 based on a 7-9 record.

Fant to me is an early 2nd round guy based in that he is not an in line TE due to lack of blocking skills.

Depending on FA signings and additions to line and WR, I would consider with a trade down to late 1st with the addition of a 2nd round pick

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My problem with him is that he wasn't even the best tight end on his team. He's all projection, a guy like Eric Ebron. I can't see picking a tight end in the top ten, but makes sense in a trade down scenario. 

The Bills are going to give Josh Allen a true, stretch the field deep threat WR wether thru fa or the draft. I dont see them going TE in rd 1 but who knows- it all depends on how their board shakes out! Also, keep in mind we need a center and at least 1 guard- everything will hinge on FA first.

Edited by billsfan_34

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Wouldn't u like to have Ebron now? I was hoping the Bills would of signed him last offseason. At the end of last yr he played very well in the last 4gms. 

TEs usually take 3 to 4 yrs to develop into difference makers Ebron has followed in Vernon Davis career arch. I expect the same if we draft any TE this yr. Especially if its Fant.  I agree with this pk if we hit on Fant then the sky is the limit for this offense moving forward. Most elite offenses have dynamic TEs that are matchup nightmares. 

In this age of FA, teams really can't afford to take a guy who needs 3-4 years to develop at the top of the first round.  That would essentially mean, he's getting good just at the point where other teams will compete for his services on a big FA contract.

If the total tear down/rebuild thing McBeane has going on is going to succeed, the Bills need to be in the playoffs and challenging for the conference consistently within 2 more years.  In order to do that, we need to draft players in the top 3 rounds who will contribute year 1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In this age of FA, teams really can't afford to take a guy who needs 3-4 years to develop at the top of the first round.  That would essentially mean, he's getting good just at the point where other teams will compete for his services on a big FA contract.

If the total tear down/rebuild thing McBeane has going on is going to succeed, the Bills need to be in the playoffs and challenging for the conference consistently within 2 more years.  In order to do that, we need to draft players in the top 3 rounds who will contribute year 1.

I’d even argue next year is the year.

2 lineman, 2 or maybe 3 pass catchers (could be a TE)

I’d prefer a vet lineman as practice rules slow development 

If they aren’t a 10 win type of team next year, this regime is going to need to explain some stuff.

Edited by NoSaint

6 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It would be stupid to draft a player who needs 3-4 years to develop in the first round.  Top 10 players should make an immediate impact unless a QB.

13 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

It would be stupid to draft a player who needs 3-4 years to develop in the first round.  Top 10 players should make an immediate impact unless a QB.

This assumes that it’s complete given that all TEs take 4 years to develop. Just because someone says it on the thread doesn’t make it a fact. OJ Howard, Kittle are 2 recent TEs making significant immediate impact. Of course statistically it’s possible even likely. But Fant can stretch the field as well as a WR. There isn’t a player drafted who doesn’t come with risk.

Perhaps a less risky alternative is taking a FA like Tyler Kroft and drafting a sleeper TE like Alize Mack later on. It’s reasonable to say there are plenty of holes on this roster, but a reliable TE  outlet would really help JA’s development.

Edited by Seoul_panther

7 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Great, so we draft a TE in the first round, and it takes him “3 to 4 yrs to develop into a difference maker”, just as his rookie deal is expiring.  You don’t see a problem with that?  No to Fant in rd 1.

4 hours ago, Seoul_panther said:

Agreed.  He's your receiving tight end.  That speed with those hands at that position is tough to guard for any defense.  If we are looking to become a top flight offense like they say they want to, you need a tight end that can make plays too.  All of the top teams have them.  Deep class at wide receiver, could look later in the class.  

24 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

So no pass catchers at all? As I mentioned previously, almost all HOF WR’s took 3-5 years to develop. One must look at reality. 

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Saying that, you now know they'll pick a defensive lineman...

?????????

?

You know it's going to be a defensive tackle or Josh Allen. 

7 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Id love to have Enron sure. What I don't want is a projection tight end that I pick in the top ten who is non existent for four years, so I reject his 5th year option and he goes on to a new team where he actually makes an impact. 

Id rather be the team who signs Fant in 4 years as a FA. 

19 hours ago, mannc said:

Great, so we draft a TE in the first round, and it takes him “3 to 4 yrs to develop into a difference maker”, just as his rookie deal is expiring.  You don’t see a problem with that?  No to Fant in rd 1.

This meaning by yr 3 or 4 he's a difference maker. So your looking at his first 2yrs where he will not bust with his talent he will make plays still just wont be dominate most likely. Someone mentioned OJ Howard here i see Fant doing what he has done in his first 2 seasons. Which is flash at times and at others wont.  But next season is Howards 3rd yr i fully expect him to take that step up to dominate elite status TE.

46 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This meaning by yr 3 or 4 he's a difference maker. So your looking at his first 2yrs where he will not bust with his talent he will make plays still just wont be dominate most likely. Someone mentioned OJ Howard here i see Fant doing what he has done in his first 2 seasons. Which is flash at times and at others wont.  But next season is Howards 3rd yr i fully expect him to take that step up to dominate elite status TE.

Fant played scared most of this season. That’s a major red flag. As a Hawkeye fan, I cringe to think that this team could have been in the B1G championship game if a guy with Fant’s skill actually wants to be on the field.

One additional comment... Fant wasn’t even the best TE on his team - TJ Hockenson is the better TE and is very similar to a George Kittle.

Edited by schoolhouserock
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Fant played scared most of this season. That’s a major red flag. As a Hawkeye fan, I cringe to think that this team could have been in the B1G championship game if a guy with Fant’s skill actually wants to be on the field.

One additional comment... Fant wasn’t even the best TE on his team - TJ Hockenson is the better TE and is very similar to a George Kittle.

If thats the case then we can get him later in the draft.

I think it’s a possibility... if we trade down. Which IMO is likely due to

1) the number of needs on offense

2) the lack of elite offensive talent at the top of the draft

3) teams behind us that may reach up for a quarterback (Giants, Bucs, Jags) 

4) Beane seems to like to move around the board, and has made it clear that he knows the offense needs to be upgraded. The offensive talent isn’t st the top. It’s drafting smart in the middle. He’ll add picks in order to take more shots.