Allen now 3-2 in games he started & finished with arguably the worse supporting cast in nfl

JerseyBills

The game will not relay his stats.  He was not run first yet ran for 100 yards.  One series in the 4th quarter he threw an inaccurate ball that resulted in a 3 and out.  Against the most athletic defense in the NFL he made enough plays to win the game.  You come away from this game thinking Allen is holding the team back your watching a differant game.  

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hes obviously not but nobody is exactly going out of their way to help him.  

Pass Pro is decent - I’ll concede that

However:

Zero run game.  

Constant penalties negating big throws

WRs not on the same page as Allen

Deonte Thompson not hauling in that 30 yard dart pretty much sums up the help he has right now.  

When you’re 3 biggest weapons are a rookie UDFA WR, a second year WR and a recently claimed off waivers WR....his supporting cast is basically the opposite of Mahomes weapons.  

And my only point is, surprisingly enough, these bargain bin receivers are much improved. Foster and Zay especially. Croom makes the occasional play. So while the offense clearly needs more time in the oven, showering praise on Allen while simultaneously excusing away his extremely low passing numbers by blaming his teammates is BS. 

Let's be clear.  He was 8 of 19 for 160 yards.  He basicaly was Lamar Jackson minus the turnovers.  I am trying to be positive.  I think he's making positive plays and limiting turnovers but you kool aid drinking yahoo's are a couple bubbles off plumb if you think he's playing like a "franchise" QB.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

Go watch some of his SR year game film from Wyoming, you will see much of the same.

Man---give it up will you with this Wyoming crap---this narrative is getting old. The guy is a pro now & he's getting better ever game !!!

4 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

To that I can only think of the Thompson dropped pass.

Again not sure I can call that a Kelvin Benjamin-style drop, it was a pretty good recovery and breakup by the defender but okay, that’s one receiving error. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The game will not relay his stats.  He was not run first yet ran for 100 yards.  One series in the 4th quarter he threw an inaccurate ball that resulted in a 3 and out.  Against the most athletic defense in the NFL he made enough plays to win the game.  You come away from this game thinking Allen is holding the team back your watching a differant game.  

If anything is holding him back its the long periods where the Bills go ultra conservative  I wish McDermott would trust  let him rip it more.  He is not going to learn by playing not to lose..  He had a great game today , something to build off of for next week

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Well said

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Again not sure I can call that a Kelvin Benjamin-style drop, it was a pretty good recovery and breakup by the defender but okay, that’s one receiving error. 

I hear yeah.  And I'm agreeing with you on reciever errors...that was the only one I saw.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Man---give it up will you with this Wyoming crap---this narrative is getting old. The guy is a pro now & he's getting better ever game !!!

I think you misread my point. At Wyoming his supporting cast sucked as well. He always looked like the Best player on the field for them. I'm all in, I think we have something we can build around!! 

Clearly if people can only handle it if you agree with them.  Forget being objective.  Either Allen is great or you can't be a Bills fan.  Mind you no in between.  You can't say he could be Big Ben someday and expect that to suffice.  Clearly his 8 for 19 160 yard day has to be his ticket to being a "franchise" Qb and if you don't see that or are still on the fence then you just are not a fan of the team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Clearly if people can only handle it if you agree with them.  Forget being objective.  Either Allen is great or you can't be a Bills fan.  Mind you no in between.  You can't say he could be Big Ben someday and expect that to suffice.  Clearly his 8 for 19 160 yard day has to be his ticket to being a "franchise" Qb and if you don't see that or are still on the fence then you just are not a fan of the team.

You forgot the 9 carries for 98 yards.     I think it’s time to run to the store for a snickers 

200w.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bfb242e4c365a542e8

11 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

I think you misread my point. At Wyoming his supporting cast sucked as well. He always looked like the Best player on the field for them. I'm all in, I think we have something we can build around!! 

Ha, I apologize---too much Celebration after the game. I think I'll exit the board for the night.

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

5hj6LUmJioqqc.gif

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

He's playing exactly like Taylor played and we ran Taylor out of town.  Upside being Allen has a cannon arm and he's a rookie.  If he can settle into the offense and work on his touch passes Allen could easily be like Big Ben.  If he doesn't ever "get it" he could be like Bortles.  I think the coaching will be the difference. 

I'm puzzled. Did you watch this game and the playoff game?

Today Allen was 8/18 for 160 yds.  No Sacks, No INTs and threw a TD pass for 90 Rating.  Also ran 11 times (not counting 2 kneel downs) for >100 yds and a TD.  QB rating of 90.  2/3 for red zone TD percentage.

In playoffs last year Tyrod was 17/37 for 13 yds, 2 sacks for -15 yds, 1 INT and 0 Tds for a QB rating of 44.8.  7 rushes for 28 yds and failed to get team in end zone all day espite Bills having first and goal at Jags 1 yd line.  Want to know why we let Tyrod go?  For games like last year's playoff game.  Got us in red zome only 1 time and failed to get TD.

I don't think Josh plays like Taylor at all.  Today, against a loaded defense he played well and delivered big plays when we needed them.  Tyrod never did that.  

And please don't make me do a similar exercise with Josh vs. Bortles.

• Thank you (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Let's be clear.  He was 8 of 19 for 160 yards.  He basicaly was Lamar Jackson minus the turnovers.  I am trying to be positive.  I think he's making positive plays and limiting turnovers but you kool aid drinking yahoo's are a couple bubbles off plumb if you think he's playing like a "franchise" QB.

Oakland and Cincinnati are two of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Jacksonville is one of the best in the league and easily the most talented.  The analogy is completely off base.  Allen's 3 wins have come against playoff teams.  He has had a very difficult schedule and has come out of it remarkably well.  His best wr is an undrafted FA rookie and a second year Te who was a converted wr.  There is more to playing Qb than throwing 5 TDs and 300 yards.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Oakland and Cincinnati are two of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Jacksonville is one of the best in the league and easily the most talented.

Yes it was like watching Tebow vs the Steelers in the playoffs.  Efficient and opportunistic.  Still didn't scream the next Mahommes.  Plenty of time and I hope Allen just gets better and better but the point is we didn't spend all those picks and redo the whole offense to be the same or slightly worse on offense than we were two years ago.  The passing offense was supposed to get better and the scoring was supposed to get better and that is yet to be seen.  The only thing that is better than two years ago is still only the defense.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

I thought Josh played very well today. Probably his best game as a pro. And we didn’t have the run game cooking really or a bunch of turnovers.

Good and encouraging game from the kid.

Agreed

He threw the ball away when he should so as not to create the negative play

He got away from what would have been sacks and turned it into a positive

He was Dead on with some of the crucial throws

There were lasers that he was throwing that were called back by penalties that would have easily put him over 200 yards

For the ppl that dont like the way he wins because he is a multi threat player.....go pound sand because he is NOTHING like Tyrod Taylor

He doesnt turn the ball over

All the while making it work with no running game.......a poor wide receiver core........and something that does NOT look like a passing pocket

5 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Yes it was like watching Tebow vs the Steelers in the playoffs.  Efficient and opportunistic.  Still didn't scream the next Mahommes.  Plenty of time and I hope Allen just gets better and better but the point is we didn't spend all those picks and redo the whole offense to be the same or slightly worse on offense than we were two years ago.  The passing offense was supposed to get better and the scoring was supposed to get better and that is yet to be seen.  The only thing that is better than two years ago is still only the defense.

This is a complete asinine comparison.  Mahomes supporting cast and playcalling is in another dimension compared to Allen's with the Bill's.  It is apples and oranges.  So Mahomes puts up the numbers he is putting up now in Chicago last year?  That's a comparison.  Mahomes was drafted into one of the best situations in modern history for a Qb.  Excepting a rookie with sub par talent around him to be an MVP is incredibly stupid.  Just look at Geoff and Trubisky in consecutive years.  Both as rookie noobs labeled bust.  Given better supporting casted both improved.  

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed

He threw the ball away when he should so as not to create the negative play

He got away from what would have been sacks and turned it into a positive

He was Dead on with some of the crucial throws

There were lasers that he was throwing that were called back by penalties that would have easily put him over 200 yards

For the ppl that dont like the way he wins because he is a multi threat player.....go pound sand because he is NOTHING like Tyrod Taylor

He doesnt turn the ball over

All the while making it work with no running game.......a poor wide receiver core........and something that does NOT look like a passing pocket

John, this sounds like you defending TT.  Just saying boyo.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This is a complete asinine comparison.  Mahomes supporting cast and playcalling is in another dimension compared to Allen's with the Bill's.  It is apples and oranges.  So Mahomes puts up the numbers he is putting up now in Chicago last year?  That's a comparison.  Mahomes was drafted into one of the best situations in modern history for a Qb.  Excepting a rookie with sub par talent around him to be an MVP is incredibly stupid.  Just look at Geoff and Trubisky in consecutive years.  Both as rookie noobs labeled bust.  Given better supporting casted both improved.  

It's not asinine it's completely accurate.  The part you keep skipping and I have said over and over again is that Allen should get better.  It's not apples to oranges  because I'm not saying Allen should be doing what Mahommes is doing now.  Just like no one was saying how great Mahommes is last year.  They are saying it this year.  Why?  Because Mahommes wasn't passing for 400 yards and 5 TD's a game last year just like Allen isn't this year.  Allen needs to be a better passer.  This game was good (all around) but not great.  We didn't spend all the draft picks and rebuild the offense to throw for 180 yards a game.  Can they do it?  It looks pretty good.  Are they doing it yet?  No.  Allen is putting up Alex Smith/ Tyrod Taylor/ Tim Tebow type stats.  I'm sorry if that offends you but it's true.  The good news is that he looks like he has potential to be better and then when he's throwing for 250 yards a game and 25 TD's a year we'll both be right except you can look like some kind of saint because you crowned him king before me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I'm puzzled. Did you watch this game and the playoff game?

Today Allen was 8/18 for 160 yds.  No Sacks, No INTs and threw a TD pass for 90 Rating.  Also ran 11 times (not counting 2 kneel downs) for >100 yds and a TD.  QB rating of 90.  2/3 for red zone TD percentage.

In playoffs last year Tyrod was 17/37 for 13 yds, 2 sacks for -15 yds, 1 INT and 0 Tds for a QB rating of 44.8.  7 rushes for 28 yds and failed to get team in end zone all day espite Bills having first and goal at Jags 1 yd line.  Want to know why we let Tyrod go?  For games like last year's playoff game.  Got us in red zome only 1 time and failed to get TD.

I don't think Josh plays like Taylor at all.  Today, against a loaded defense he played well and delivered big plays when we needed them.  Tyrod never did that.  

And please don't make me do a similar exercise with Josh vs. Bortles.

THIS!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

I just get the feeling were set at QB, the only thing I don't like about Allen is the unnecessary shots he takes by opposing defenses, the OC Daboll needs to start telling him to slide and not take those extra shots or he'll be killed, other than that I really like the passion he plays with. The stats don't really bother me, he'd have been at almost 300 yards passing if not for the 2 penalties and the drop by Thompson imo.

He showed some more growth along with the athleticism and guts we've have already seen. Many dumb  penalties and some drops may have hurt the stat line but he got the job done.  There were some very nice throws and a some throw aways and a few bad balls where he rushed his throw and didnt set his feet  I thought he was expecting the receiver to settle down in the hole and to work their way back towards the ball on a few passes.  He didnt turn it over and he didnt hold the ball and take sacks.  There is good stuff there to work with and I hope we see Daboll continue to expand what they allow him to do. 

30 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

It's not asinine it's completely accurate.  The part you keep skipping and I have said over and over again is that Allen should get better.  It's not apples to oranges  because I'm not saying Allen should be doing what Mahommes is doing now.  Just like no one was saying how great Mahommes is last year.  They are saying it this year.  Why?  Because Mahommes wasn't passing for 400 yards and 5 TD's a game last year just like Allen isn't this year.  Allen needs to be a better passer.  This game was good (all around) but not great.  We didn't spend all the draft picks and rebuild the offense to throw for 180 yards a game.  Can they do it?  It looks pretty good.  Are they doing it yet?  No.  Allen is putting up Alex Smith/ Tyrod Taylor/ Tim Tebow type stats.  I'm sorry if that offends you but it's true.  The good news is that he looks like he has potential to be better and then when he's throwing for 250 yards a game and 25 TD's a year we'll both be right except you can look like some kind of saint because you crowned him king before me.

I just dont understand the comparisons and expectations.  You could say Geoff, Trubisky, even Big ben... You are using busts when many successful QBs have had similar stat lines early in their careers.  

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I certainly am not touting Allen as a franchise QB; however, he was pretty impressive in his first game back, after 5 weeks, and against a very, good defense. There is nothing "clear" about quoting a stat line to describe Allen's play today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

I just dont understand the comparisons and expectations.  You could say Geoff, Trubisky, even Big ben... You are using busts when many successful QBs have had similar stat lines early in their careers.  

He likes Tyrod more than he likes the Buffalo Bills.    Let him grieve through terrible posts. 

I thought Allen looked pretty darn good. He made plays, and he didn’t turn it over.

He had two big time third down passes called back, and the Thompson pass that should’ve been caught. A few other passes were just taking shots in long down to go situations, which were fine.

Lots to be optimistic about with this kid. If you feel otherwise, it’s gonna be tough for you for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I certainly am not touting Allen as a franchise QB; however, he was pretty impressive in his first game back, after 5 weeks, and against a very, good defense. There is nothing "clear" about quoting a stat line to describe Allen's play today.

x100

17 minutes ago, Philly’sFinest said:

I thought Allen looked pretty darn good. He made plays, and he didn’t turn it over.

He had two big time third down passes called back, and the Thompson pass that should’ve been caught. A few other passes were just taking shots in long down to go situations, which were fine.

Lots to be optimistic about with this kid. If you feel otherwise, it’s gonna be tough for you for the foreseeable future.

I completely agree with everything you said.  A few posters nitpicking stuff out of context.  He is by far the best QB on the roster and there are tons of reasons to be excited for the future.  I simple said that passing game is still a long ways from where we drafted him to take it.  Another year, another off-season, some better WR's and we could definitely be there.   Saying we drafted him to elevate the passing game but that we are not there yet is not some big hot take.  It's a fact.