Matt Barkley Will Be the Bills' Starter vs. the NYJ

1 hour ago, Kevin1778 said:

McDermott really is an idiot if he starts Barkley. It is Allen or Peterman. If healthy, Allen plays. If not, Peterman plays. If Peterman plays terribly cut him next week and keep Barkley. If he plays adequately he stays on until end of season and only plays if Allen is hurt.  Anderson should NEVER step on field again. He is here to mentor Allen. Not get hurt. If Allen gets hurt again just play Peterman. 

This idiot coach is going to start 4 QB's in 10 games. Maybe the quarterbacks aren't the problem.

I've been saying this all year.   As poor as the offense was last season with Taylor, it's way worse this season ... there's not even a running game worth the name.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just checked but Terrell Pryor is 1 point away from have the highest career qb rating of any qb on our roster!!! Pryor has double the qb rating of Peterman!!!  

This season is sort of amazing.

p.s. I was wrong. Logan Thomas is the highest rated QB on the Bills!  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomLo00.htm

And that’s with an 11% completion rate. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would be excited to see this. See what he has and if he has learned anything. Sometimes a change and fresh start can be good. 

Positive - 6 starts and over 300 yds in 3 of them. 

Negative - 6 starts and 12 ints in those games. 1-5 record in those starts. 

We all know what we have in Peterman. Not to mention it's highly unlikely he'll be here next year. Might as well kick the tires on Barkley? Anderson is probably regretting coming here and his protocol will linger. Maybe Matt will shock the world....maybe pigs will fly?

I think given the amount of time Anderson was given it could & probably should happen just to let Allen get completely healthy over the bye week & i think Barkey could give a better performance than Petermen due to a having a stronger arm & more experience in game ! 

If McD goes with the guy that gives them the best chance to win i'm thinking it's Barkley over Petermen !! 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

We all know what we have in Peterman. Not to mention it's highly unlikely he'll be here next year. Might as well kick the tires on Barkley? Anderson is probably regretting coming here and his protocol will linger. Maybe Matt will shock the world....maybe pigs will fly?

We all know Josh Allen is the guy they'll spend time developing as the potential franchise QB.  Why not see whether Barkley can be a viable backup QB at this juncture because Peterman hasn't come close to being a guy the team can rely on to play at an even decent level. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Barkley is getting cut next week no matter what. Allen is the starter and Anderson the backup and mentor for the rest of the year. Peterman is getting cut and will likely be resigned to the practice squad so they have a warm body in case of emergency. 

Honestly, if Peterman is so bad that he gets leapfrogged by Barkley, he needs to be off the team. I actually like Barkley as a backup quarterback, but he shouldn't be starting over Peterman in this situation, unless Peterman is THAT bad...in which case Peterman needs to go bag groceries. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly, if Peterman is so bad that he gets leapfrogged by Barkley, he needs to be off the team. I actually like Barkley as a backup quarterback, but he shouldn't be starting over Peterman in this situation, unless Peterman is THAT bad...in which case Peterman needs to go bag groceries. 

You can't cut him yet. He would be Barkleys backup if Allen can't play. You cut him when Anderson comes back during the bye. You then resign him to the practice squad for an warm body in an emergency. Next year you keep Allen and find him a real backup.

Peterman is still on the team only because he's healthy,,,, and knows the playbook (which allows the team the ability to open up the full playbook in practice and games).   When Allen is up to speed and Barkley catches up I think Peterman is cut loose.  DA in my opinion would be good to have around as a mentor but i can't see them rushing back on the field anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Absolutely was as Beane later acknowledged. 

How the hell can somebody even pretending to be a professional football administrator allow his team to go into the regular NFL season WITHOUT at least 3 QBs under contract,  even if only two are on the active roster.  That's what the PS is for!!!  The QB situation is a testament to McDermott/Beane's incompetence.

Just now, Kevin1778 said:

You can't cut him yet. He would be Barkleys backup if Allen can't play. You cut him when Anderson comes back during the bye. You then resign him to the practice squad for an warm body in an emergency. Next year you keep Allen and find him a real backup.

He should be resigned to the reality that he has no future with the Buffalo Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

He should be resigned to the reality that he has no future with the Buffalo Bills. 

After this year. They have no choice now. They aren't go to use 3 roster spots on quarterbacks. They need the warm body on the practice squad.

Peterman will get a chance with another team too next year. GM's know how atrocious Bill's line and receivers are. 

People forget Anderson turned the ball over 6x in two starts. And he has been in league for over a decade as a backup.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How the hell can somebody even pretending to be a professional football administrator allow his team to go into the regular NFL season WITHOUT at least 3 QBs under contract,  even if only two are on the active roster.  That's what the PS is for!!!  The QB situation is a testament to McDermott/Beane's incompetence.

Agreed. The Coach and GM are much bigger issues than a 5th round league minimum quarterback that has become their scapegoat.

4 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Agreed. The Coach and GM are much bigger issues than a 5th round league minimum quarterback that has become their scapegoat.

You really need to pause and educate yourself. You're consistently trying to justify historically bad QB play by contract details that aren't even factually accurate, a depth chart position that isn't correct, and blaming it on an incompetent coach even though the same coach is the only reason he's on an NFL roster. I don't know if Nate's your cousin, maybe you went to school with him or something, but his play is historically bad and he is not an NFL caliber player. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people in America are not NFL caliber players.

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We all know Josh Allen is the guy they'll spend time developing as the potential franchise QB.  Why not see whether Barkley can be a viable backup QB at this juncture because Peterman hasn't come close to being a guy the team can rely on to play at an even decent level. 

I completely agree. Peterman is the butt of every sports show joke. I heard 3 more today. What is McD trying to prove here. Acquiring MB was an intriguing add, so let him play against a weak jets team. Who's to say he couldn't be a backup?

21 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You really need to pause and educate yourself. You're consistently trying to justify historically bad QB play by contract details that aren't even factually accurate, a depth chart position that isn't correct.

I need to educate myself? You seem a little slow, so let me make it as easy as I can for you.

Josh Allen is QB1. Derek Anderson is QB2. Nate Peterman is QB3. Not debatable. QB1 got hurt. Then QB2 got hurt. When QB1 and QB2 are injured the next number is QB3. (Simple enough for you) 

Nate Peterman earns $555k. The league minimum. (Hopefully that is simple enough for you)

Those are the facts. 

Edited by Kevin1778

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Amazing...it's Friday and they don't know who is starting....great way to prepare for the game

McDermott has done this in the past. He doesn't release his starting lineup until he absolutely has to because he views it as a competitive advantage. 

The people thinking this team is intentionally losing games are incredibly wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

McDermott has done this in the past. He doesn't release his starting lineup until he absolutely has to because he views it as a competitive advantage. 

The people thinking this team is intentionally losing games are incredibly wrong. 

Competitive Advantage. lol. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Barkley or Peterman....great advantage there. I don't think they are intentionally losing....I think they created a really bad team

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I completely agree. Peterman is the butt of every sports show joke. I heard 3 more today. What is McD trying to prove here. Acquiring MB was an intriguing add, so let him play against a weak jets team. Who's to say he couldn't be a backup?

A backup for our backup? We have a starter and a backup. Allen and Anderson. Both will be ready after the bye. We just need a warm body on the practice squad, because if Allen and then Anderson get hurt it won't matter who you put on the field.

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Personally, I am hoping for a Peterman start and win.  It would be pretty awesome to identify the Jets as the one and only team that Nathan Peterman ever beat.  The NY tabloids would have a field day.

If it is Barkley and Peterman you can be sure Peterman will get on the field. If Barkleys knee holds out I will be shocked. 

Both will be off the roster once Anderson clears concussion protocol.

Edited by Kevin1778

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

Barkley or Peterman....great advantage there. I don't think they are intentionally losing....I think they created a really bad team

Totally agree.

That was intended to be a shot at the people who keep telling everyone to calm down and that the state of the team is what they'd planned. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sounds like they want Allen to start with Barkley as the 2nd choice. 

Sounds to me like they were counting on DA to start.  When he was ruled out, they fainted and still haven’t woken up yet.  They’re praying allen can play so they don’t have to look so foolish trotting MB or NP out there.  

All that has gone wrong, has.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Amazing...it's Friday and they don't know who is starting....great way to prepare for the game

It has to be strategy by McDermott, I have to imagine Todd Bowles can't sleep at night thinking about the possibility of going against Matt Barkley

Just now, NewEra said:

Sounds to me like they were counting on DA to start.  When he was ruled out, they fainted and still haven’t woken up yet.  They’re praying allen can play so they don’t have to look so foolish trotting MB or NP out there.  

All that has gone wrong, has.

I doubt that as he hasn't practiced in two weeks and hasn't been cleared from the concussion protocol.

1 hour ago, Kevin1778 said:

Nope. He is on par with a guy like Danny Etling. Only difference is Patriots don't start their practice squad caliber quarterbacks. Only morons put guys with Petermans talent and inexperience on the field when they aren't ready behind bad offensive lines with no receivers.

Remember, Derek Anderson had 6 turnovers, a pick 6, and no touchdowns in 2 starts. Why? Because a stupid coach rushed him into the field.

There is no room in the NFL for a QB that lacks the requisite arm strength to play the position. Not third string. Not practice squad. Nothing.

Peterman has become a scapegoat for all of our offensive woes, but there's no reason to carry a QB who will never be able to play the position. I've never bought the whole perfect backup thing regarding any quarterback. They are not starters for a reason, but they damn well better be able to play if called upon. You don't carry a guy as a backup who can't play.

18 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Why not?  They'd better not rush Allen.  Hate to see him get injured again behind our putrid OL.

Josh will need more than a better line to avoid future injury.  He needs to learn to better get rid of the ball and run with a little less reckless abandon (although that is fun to watch).

11 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Josh will need more than a better line to avoid future injury.  He needs to learn to better get rid of the ball and run with a little less reckless abandon (although that is fun to watch).

he needs to watch game film of Flutie in the shotgun rolling on the snap for his life to either sideline