Peterman actually played quite well!

Rubes

...According to Jim Kubiak of the BN Blitz:

Jim Kubiak: Ugly loss distorts Nathan Peterman's solid performance

I know it's the BN and many people don't have access, but there it is. Bear in mind that Kubiak "is the all-time leading passer at Navy, has played in the NFL, NFL Europe and the Arena Football League, and been a coach and executive in the AFL," and is analyzing QB play for the Bills this year. Some of the things he had to say:

...Peterman played very well in his first complete game against the Bears. The lopsided loss tarnishes his effort as he was 31 of 49 for 189 yards. Peterman demonstrated an amazing ability to overcome all of the derogatory things that have been said about him these last few weeks, flat-out questioning his ability to play the game at the NFL level.

What goes unnoticed and unappreciated in this game was Peterman’s 63 percentage completion percentage, as well as his mobility and evasiveness in the pocket.

Peterman’s sense of timing, his ability to check the ball down to his running backs underneath coverage, and his overall accuracy was a quality performance. The Bears’ defense did a very nice job of mixing up coverages between man and zone, which did not fool Peterman a single time.

Those are the facts, like them or not. Peterman played smart and tough, with little to no help from his supporting cast.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm no Peterman fan...I thought the decision to run for it instead of tossing the Hail Mary was one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, and he should have been shown the door at halftime for that. Nevertheless, an objective look at his performance may not have been that bad (I guess).

• Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He is right.

1) Bears have top 5 defense.

2) Peterman has only started 4 games.

3) His stats were in line with a long time veteran like Anderson in his two games.

4) His line and receivers did not show up.

5) There was no running game.

Is Peterman an NFL starting QB. No. Is he a more than adequate backup. Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 18

1 minute ago, Kevin1778 said:

He is right.

1) Bears have top 5 defense.

2) Peterman has only started 4 games.

3) His stats were in line with a long time veteran like Anderson in his two games.

4) His line and receivers did not show up.

5) There was no running game.

Is Peterman an NFL starting QB. No. Is he a more than adequate backup. Absolutely.

so, he's a good backup until he has to play?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

so, he's a good backup until he has to play?

Backups usually play 1 or 2 games a year if that. If you want to win you need a franchise QB. Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Rivers, all play virtually every snap all year long.

The Bills future depends on their top 10 draft pick, not the 5th rounder making the league minimum. Peterman's job is supposed to be to hold a clip board. Not start 16 games.

Edited by Kevin1778
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

You're either a good QB or you're not.

There are 32 backup quarterbacks in the NFL. Maybe 3 or 4 of them are good quarterbacks. And those 3 or 4 would look awful behind this line and with these receivers. 

Edited by Kevin1778
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually do not disagree with the author's premise. In fact, during the game Moose kept pointing out how, realizing that their backs were against the wall with the team in the position to HAVE to start Peterman, the supporting cast really needed to step it up. They did not do that. In fact, the supporting cast in no way helped the struggling young QB -- and proved to be more of a hindrance.

One play in particular underscored this, and it was on the 4th and long, where Peterman scrambled to his left and made a pinpoint toss to the endzone for KB. It was a tough catch, as it was well defended. However, it hit Benjamin in the hands; if he is as good as he thinks he is, he should make a catch like that to help his young QB.

The real issue is that the supporting cast is itself so bad (including the gutless KB). The receivers are getting no separation, and their hands are not very good across the board. That spells doom for a noodle-arm QB like Peterman, who tried to "fire" the ball in there.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 5

That is hilarious.......  3 yard dumps all game.....  63% completion %....

Here's a stat.....  Peterman completed two passes beyong the first down chains all game.  One was an 11 yard pass and the other a 6 yard pass.  All other first downs were YAC.

Just pathetic........

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

There are 32 backup quarterbacks in the NFL. Maybe 3 or 4 of them are good quarterbacks. And those 3 or 4 would look awful behind this line and with these receivers. 

He is, statistically, the worst QB ever to play the game

We're not talking about one bad game distorting an otherwise solid body of work; he's absolutely atrocious all of the time. As in unforgivably bad.

He's been outplayed by a rookie from Wyoming that isn't close to being caught up to the speed of the NFL game.

He's literally thrown away 3 games purely on his terrible passing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Sometimes I wonder if people go back and actually watch for the story of the game. Without a couple of unlucky bounces, the Bills would've had a 23-20 lead with about 5 minutes to play.

you can literally say this for every game a team loses. 

4 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Sometimes I wonder if people go back and actually watch for the story of the game. Without a couple of unlucky bounces, the Bills would've had a 23-20 lead with about 5 minutes to play.

I'm sorry but this is delusional. I watched the game, they lost 41-9. Go off in fantasy land and take away the turnovers, they'll still lose. 

They got blown out.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Backups usually play 1 or 2 games a year if that. If you want to win you need a franchise QB. Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Rivers, all play virtually every snap all year long.

The Bills future depends on their top 10 draft pick, not the 5th rounder making the league minimum. Peterman's job is supposed to be to hold a clip board. Not start 16 games.

Nobody is asking him to start 16 games. But when your other two QBs go down, Peterman had a somewhat respectable outing.

32 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

you've seen him inserted over the last 2 seasons and throw away multiple games and this is what you've concluded..... WOW. just wow.

this is literally one of the dumbest things I've read on here since I joined almost 2 years ago. 

the bills went about replacing him with a washed up qb off the street and somehow you've come to the conclusion he's adequate. 

Image result for wtf gif

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Well, I partly agree. IF, and it's a big IF, we forget about his other two starts, it would seem he had an OK game with a bad supporting cast and unlucky bounces. Because of his prior short history, the 3 INTs look awful but they were not. Still it was a very average dink pass kind of game, but the few times he did throw "long" they were damn accurate, and it's also true he wasn't confused by the Bears D. Basically, he would have seemed like a decent 3rd stringer or occasional backup. Not a starter for sure, but not either deserving of all the crap thrown at him.

Meanwhile guys like Clay and Benjamin are making over 10 times what he makes and get some criticism but not to that extent. Such is the life at the QB position but McCarron couldn't cut it, Anderson's stats are almost as bad this year on this team, and even Allen's stats are bad. All QBs for the team this year suck, OLine is the least paid one by far in the NFL, receiver group might be the worse,  so it's kind of unfair to run Nate out of the NFL but who said life is fair? 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Nobody is asking him to start 16 games. But when your other two QBs go down, Peterman had a somewhat respectable outing.

He was named the opening day starter. I think most teams want their starting QB to start 16 games

• Like (+1) 1

Nathan Peterman is trash, I'm sorry let's stop covering s*%t with sugar and calling it a tootsie roll. I honestly feel sorry for the kid that our coaching staff / front office keeps putting him in a position that he's clearly not ready to be in. I wish nothing but the best for him but let's just be real, he should never see live action during the regular season until at least 2020.

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

He was named the opening day starter. I think most teams want their starting QB to start 16 games

He failed big time at being a starter. But is he really worse than most 3rd stringers? Often times these guys are not set to start games but have to be ready to come at any time and take over. He seems to know the playbook well enough, is ready, he just doesn't have the arm strength. Anyway, not my decision to make and it shouldn't be that controversial a topic. Questioning McD's judgment on QBs? Sure. Questioning Beane's judgment at having only 2 QBs for so long on the roster, not getting some OLine or WR help this year? Sure. Mocking Peterman all the way out of the NFL? A tad pushing it, as if he had become the focus point for all the anger the fans feel.

56 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I know it's the BN and many people don't have access, but there it is. Bear in mind that Kubiak "is the all-time leading passer at Navy, has played in the NFL, NFL Europe and the Arena Football League, and been a coach and executive in the AFL," and is analyzing QB play for the Bills this year. Some of the things he had to say:

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm no Peterman fan...I thought the decision to run for it instead of tossing the Hail Mary was one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, and he should have been shown the door at halftime for that. Nevertheless, an objective look at his performance may not have been that bad (I guess).

Thanks Rubes.   

It is a pleasure seeing an objective look with all the Nate bashing going on.   Kudo's

• He survived the entire game. 
  • The Bears defense isn't a pushover by any means 
  • His INT's were down - 3 for a whole game.  (a little levity)

Those are the facts, like them or not. Peterman played smart and tough, with little to no help from his supporting cast.

The same supporting cast that failed JA and DA.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Simple and overlooked answer by the article writer... he threw 2-3 yard passes for the most part. 

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

He failed big time at being a starter. But is he really worse than most 3rd stringers? Often times these guys are not set to start games but have to be ready to come at any time and take over. He seems to know the playbook well enough, is ready, he just doesn't have the arm strength. Anyway, not my decision to make and it shouldn't be that controversial a topic. Questioning McD's judgment on QBs? Sure. Questioning Beane's judgment at having only 2 QBs for so long on the roster, not getting some OLine or WR help this year? Sure. Mocking Peterman all the way out of the NFL? A tad pushing it, as if he had become the focus point for all the anger the fans feel.

I'm not mocking him. He shouldn't be a starting QB but he is and playing poorly on a very bad team. It's not all his fault but great QBs can help bad teams...he's not one

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its tough, because two of those interceptions were not on him on the slightest.  All the same, most of his throws were short dink and dunk type stuff.  That can work but not the way it was done this week.  

Bill Russell always stated that every pass to a teammate that did not connect was his fault.

But that was Bill Russell....