Peterman actually played quite well!

Rubes

1 hour ago, Kevin1778 said:

He is right.

1) Bears have top 5 defense.

2) Peterman has only started 4 games.

3) His stats were in line with a long time veteran like Anderson in his two games.

4) His line and receivers did not show up.

5) There was no running game.

Is Peterman an NFL starting QB. No. Is he a more than adequate backup. Absolutely.

An adequate backup doesn’t come in and throw a pick 6 to lose the game the way he did in Houston.

Peterman does not possess an NFL quality arm.

End of story.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I'm not mocking him. He shouldn't be a starting QB but he is and playing poorly on a very bad team. It's not all his fault but great QBs can help bad teams...he's not one

Yes but he is not paid at all as a great QB, was a 5th round pick, and was thrown in as a starter while the obvious plan was for Allen to replace him at some point. 95%+ of us agree he is not starter material, but what many fans want is for him to be punted out of the league. His LAST showing was NFL level for a 3rd stringer. He's getting the heat for all that is wrong on offense and that's pushing it IMO. 

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

Yes but he is not paid at all as a great QB, was a 5th round pick, and was thrown in as a starter while the obvious plan was for Allen to replace him at some point. 95%+ of us agree he is not starter material, but what many fans want is for him to be punted out of the league. His LAST showing was NFL level for a 3rd stringer. He's getting the heat for all that is wrong on offense and that's pushing it IMO. 

QBs always get too much credit and too much blame...part of the job

Just now, Jerome007 said:

I have 2 issues with this train of thought.

First: On opening day he wasn't a 3rd stringer, he was the starting QB. His play for that initial half of the season is what sent him from starter to sitting behind a street FA who was signed the week of the game.

Second: 3rd string QBs, if they are present on a roster at all, are generally developmental prospects with high upside. Peterman has no upside, and thus is not even an adequate 3rd string QB.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

QBs always get too much credit and too much blame...part of the job

Part of the job... if you have one.

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

Peterman has another problem.  He is a national laughingstock.  Even the Wall Street journal, of all media outlets, had an article on how bad he is as a QB.  He can't last in the league with that kind of press.https://www.wsj.com/articles/playing-quarterback-looks-easier-than-ever-nathan-peterman-still-makes-it-look-hard-1541161499

Well boohoo at the WSJ mocking him and the Bills. You don't make a man lose his job for that. I would have been fine with him getting cut this year, but find it unfair to do so after the last game. Unless the new QB shows some good enough stuff to be the 3rd stringer now, with Allen and Anderson soon coming back as 1st and 2nd.

He was checking down and throwing no more than 3 yards downfield while playing down 28 points.  It was the most gutless, chicken ***** performance I have witnessed.  Even against a defense that was basically playing prevent for 1.5 quarters he wouldn't test them.  When you refuse to throw past 3 yards you can count on defensive backs jumping everything, sitting on short routes, and crushing guys at the LOS like the pass to Zay.  Those turnovers are on Nate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I have 2 issues with this train of thought.

First: On opening day he wasn't a 3rd stringer, he was the starting QB. His play for that initial half of the season is what sent him from starter to sitting behind a street FA who was signed the week of the game.

Second: 3rd string QBs, if they are present on a roster at all, are generally developmental prospects with high upside. Peterman has no upside, and thus is not even an adequate 3rd string QB.

Agreed on the first point. But a lot of 3rd stringers have no upside... let's not sugarcoat what goes on in other teams.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He was checking down and throwing no more than 3 yards downfield while playing down 28 points.  It was the most gutless, chicken ***** performance I have witnessed.  Even against a defense that was basically playing prevent for 1.5 quarters he wouldn't test them.  When you refuse to throw past 3 yards you can count on defensive backs jumping everything, sitting on short routes, and crushing guys at the LOS like the pass to Zay.  Those turnovers are on Nate.

he doesn't deserve a Zapruder-like frame by frame excuse review of who is really to blame

he is terrible and throws INTs like candies, doesn't matter who you want to apportion blame to

he isn't worth the analysis

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

Bill Walsh said Trent Edwards was good.

...and Rick Mirer was the next Joe Montana. 

If Peterman was any good he wouldn’t throw the game away every time he steps out there. 

I think that talent is there but it also matters who is the one teaching these guys.  I think Edwards had a lot more potential before that blindside hit.  As far as Peterman he didn't do that bad and he is adjusting more and more but he is not a starting QB.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

He played the way you'd expect a backup to play.  Hits three guys in the hands that result in three picks.  Can't blame him for that.  His run at the end of the half was completely mindless. 

That was a result in not wanting to throw another INT. I think his confidence is growing. Hopefully he turns into a great backup.

55 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Nobody is asking him to start 16 games. But when your other two QBs go down, Peterman had a somewhat respectable outing.

The Bill's were asking him to do that when they named him the starter this season, co soldering Allen was supposed to sit most, if not all of this year.

Compared to the rest of the garbage of an offence that was out there, yeah, he played well, but that's setting the bar real low. Tyrod Taylor was run out of town because he wouldn't throw the ball over 200 yards a game, but that was with maybe a dozen passes. Nate doesnt hit 200 yards completing 30 passes and people are saying how he played well......

With respect to the low yards per\dink and dunk criticism, that was built into the game plan. Bears have a good secondary (ranked ahead of the Bills) who were playing a lot of man with some press coverage on crucial conversion downs. To beat this you need WRs who can gain a step the at the LOS and follow that up with good crisp route running to maintain separation. The Bills WR group really are not good at doing that, especially our # 1 "go to guy" by default. Because of that its asking a lot of our QB, whoever it is, to throw downfield with anticipation. I think Daboll knew how the Bears would scheme to defend against the pass and this was his to be expected answer, the more so because the Bears are also good against the run and are capable of pressuring the passer. 

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thanks Rubes.   

It is a pleasure seeing an objective look with all the Nate bashing going on.   Kudo's

• He survived the entire game. 
  • The Bears defense isn't a pushover by any means 
  • His INT's were down - 3 for a whole game.  (a little levity)

Those are the facts, like them or not. Peterman played smart and tough, with little to no help from his supporting cast.

The same supporting cast that failed JA and DA.   

Your standards fluctuate quite a bit depending on who’s behind center I guess. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Bill's were asking him to do that when they named him the starter this season, co soldering Allen was supposed to sit most, if not all of this year.

Compared to the rest of the garbage of an offence that was out there, yeah, he played well, but that's setting the bar real low. Tyrod Taylor was run out of town because he wouldn't throw the ball over 200 yards a game, but that was with maybe a dozen passes. Nate doesnt hit 200 yards completing 30 passes and people are saying how he played well......

I'm defending him on this thread, but as a 3rd stringer, and did mention he only played average, if that. He failed at being a starter for sure, but from now on, barring injury like now, he is not asked to be a starter and certainly not paid as one. I just find him not paling ever again in the league is an overreaction. 

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

With respect to the low yards per\dink and dunk criticism, that was built into the game plan. Bears have a good secondary (ranked ahead of the Bills) who were playing a lot of man with some press coverage on crucial conversion downs. To beat this you need WRs who can gain a step the at the LOS and follow that up with good crisp route running to maintain separation. The Bills WR group really are not good at doing that, especially our # 1 "go to guy" by default. Because of that its asking a lot of our QB, whoever it is, to throw downfield with anticipation. I think Daboll knew how the Bears would scheme to defend against the pass and this was his to be expected answer, the more so because the Bears are also good against the run and are capable of pressuring the passer. 

and for the few good passing situations the Bears were two and three deep on the Bills receiver as they fully planned.