Nate Peterman "I'm ready to go win a game"

BmarvB

6 minutes ago, McBean said:

I want nothing more than him to succeed. I can’t help it. He just seems like a really good dude.

Come on Nate! Calm down and relax. Have fun on Sunday.

WHY DO I STILL BELIEVE IN HIM!!??

Because people think you're an idiot and should be fired.   ;)  ;)  :D 

I want nothing more than him to succeed, but belief will be hard to come by. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, McBean said:

I want nothing more than him to succeed. I can’t help it. He just seems like a really good dude.

Come on Nate! Calm down and relax. Have fun on Sunday.

WHY DO I STILL BELIEVE IN HIM!!??

Me too.  I think the Petermanitis is catchy.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I can't wait for his break out game. I stand by this guy. He's going to have the only 300 yard game for the Bills this season. I don't say that blindly. I know he has INT's but he shows an understanding of the passing game, he just has to learn NFL game speed. He's young and lacks arm strength. The only way for him to beat NFL defenses is to play and learn. 

The fact that he looks good in preseason gives way to some hope.   But he does fall apart mentally in regular season games and it usually happens fast.  

The question becomes- is he mentally not capable to play in the NFL or is he mentally not ready to play in the NFL?  

If he is ultimately capable but isn't currently ready then more reps (no matter how disastrous they might be) is the only way to know.  At this point is that really such a bad option?  

• Like (+1) 1

It really is sad that Peterman has become such a laughing stock in the national media and serves as the poster child for what ails the Buffalo offense. Here are some random thoughts...

1. I understood why McD made the decision he did last season when he elected to bench Tyrod and give Peterman the start on the road against the Chargers. By then the coaching staff had come to grips with the fact that Tyrod was not the long-term solution. The team had also come off back-to-back games in which the team had been blown out and Taylor showed he simply did not have it in him to do what was necessary to win a shootout in come-from-behind fashion. The road game against the Chargers was another game in which the Bills were heavy underdogs, so McD was looking to catch lightening in the bottle. Given that Tyrod was not in the team's long-term plans, the coaches wanted to get a live-action, meaningful look at Peterman to see whether or not they had uncovered a 5th-round diamond in the rough. The results spoke for themselves by halftime.

2. It is undeniable that Peterman lacks the requisite arm strength necessary to be a bona fide starting QB in the NFL. That has been on display with many of the INTs he has tossed. However, he has also run into some bad luck. Recall that he looked decent moving the ball against the Chargers until DiMarco allowed a pass to bounce off his hands and into the arms of a defender. The next INT was also the result of a blind-side defender getting there as Peterman released the ball. After that, nothing went right for him -- and he let it get in his head.

3. On that last point, in addition to less-than-ideal arm strength he appears to lack the mental agility to forget about the previous bad play -- and move on to the next play. I also wonder if sometimes the big stage is simply too large for him. When he was given the chance to take the reins (against the Chargers last year and on opening day against the Ravens this year) he embarrassed himself. When in a situation to win a game -- against the Jags in the playoffs last season and against the Texans this year -- he threw game clinching INTs.

4. He has to understand that this is his last chance to be an NFL QB. Another poor performance on Sunday and we have to expect that his 9th life will have expired. With the bye week approaching, that means an extra week to get Allen and Anderson healthy. It also means an extra week to get Barkley ready. With the veterans likely to stage an uprising in the event of another Peterman melt-down, the team would have little choice but to release him.

5. That bit about the veterans... It is time for them to step up. There is no elite QB coming to the rescue in 2018, so the team leaders need to rally around Peterman this week and hope for the best. Yes, the defense has been pretty good -- but they played a large role in the losses against the Chargers and Colts. Receivers need to get open and fight for the ball. The line needs to protect. And so on...

6. Despite all of his shortcomings, Peterman is NOT without positive attributes. He does get rid of the ball quickly. He can throw with anticipation. It was these things that the coaches liked about him in the preseason that led them to name him as the opening day starter. If Dabol can come up with a game-plan that makes use of these attributes,  good things could very well happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Then the dude should play checkers on Sunday and punt on first down. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You could say Zay would be willing to run through a wall for him - but after last offseason's incident, you'd need to be careful...

You're "jumping" to conclusions. 

Edited by Irv

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

Then the dude should play checkers on Sunday and punt on first down. 

Actually,  there is an easy way for Peterman to do better than the Ravens game.  He just needs to spike the ball into the ground every single play.   He will end up with a higher QB rating compared to what he had for that game.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

It really is sad that Peterman has become such a laughing stock in the national media and serves as the poster child for what ails the Buffalo offense. Here are some random thoughts...

1. I understood why McD made the decision he did last season when he elected to bench Tyrod and give Peterman the start on the road against the Chargers. By then the coaching staff had come to grips with the fact that Tyrod was not the long-term solution. The team had also come off back-to-back games in which the team had been blown out and Taylor showed he simply did not have it in him to do what was necessary to win a shootout in come-from-behind fashion. The road game against the Chargers was another game in which the Bills were heavy underdogs, so McD was looking to catch lightening in the bottle. Given that Tyrod was not in the team's long-term plans, the coaches wanted to get a live-action, meaningful look at Peterman to see whether or not they had uncovered a 5th-round diamond in the rough. The results spoke for themselves by halftime.

2. It is undeniable that Peterman lacks the requisite arm strength necessary to be a bona fide starting QB in the NFL. That has been on display with many of the INTs he has tossed. However, he has also run into some bad luck. Recall that he looked decent moving the ball against the Chargers until DiMarco allowed a pass to bounce off his hands and into the arms of a defender. The next INT was also the result of a blind-side defender getting there as Peterman released the ball. After that, nothing went right for him -- and he let it get in his head.

3. On that last point, in addition to less-than-ideal arm strength he appears to lack the mental agility to forget about the previous bad play -- and move on to the next play. I also wonder if sometimes the big stage is simply too large for him. When he was given the chance to take the reins (against the Chargers last year and on opening day against the Ravens this year) he embarrassed himself. When in a situation to win a game -- against the Jags in the playoffs last season and against the Texans this year -- he threw game clinching INTs.

4. He has to understand that this is his last chance to be an NFL QB. Another poor performance on Sunday and we have to expect that his 9th life will have expired. With the bye week approaching, that means an extra week to get Allen and Anderson healthy. It also means an extra week to get Barkley ready. With the veterans likely to stage an uprising in the event of another Peterman melt-down, the team would have little choice but to release him.

5. That bit about the veterans... It is time for them to step up. There is no elite QB coming to the rescue in 2018, so the team leaders need to rally around Peterman this week and hope for the best. Yes, the defense has been pretty good -- but they played a large role in the losses against the Chargers and Colts. Receivers need to get open and fight for the ball. The line needs to protect. And so on...

6. Despite all of his shortcomings, Peterman is NOT without positive attributes. He does get rid of the ball quickly. He can throw with anticipation. It was these things that the coaches liked about him in the preseason that led them to name him as the opening day starter. If Dabol can come up with a game-plan that makes use of these attributes,  good things could very well happen.

You know, I have been seeing it for so many years but it just struck me how funny your screen name is. :D:lol::D

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I can't wait for his break out game. I stand by this guy. He's going to have the only 300 yard game for the Bills this season. I don't say that blindly. I know he has INT's but he shows an understanding of the passing game, he just has to learn NFL game speed. He's young and lacks arm strength. The only way for him to beat NFL defenses is to play and learn. 

What's crazy is that to me it seems like we have two halves of a whole QB between Allen and Peterman. Nate has at least shown that he can get through his reads quicker, and typically more efficiently in identifying coverages, but he lacks the physical talent and skills to convert on those read successes. Whereas Allen is the complete opposite having the physical attributes to do it all at the position, but just doesn't understand read concepts, coverages, and schemes. 

I'm sure many will disagree, especially in regards to Peterman, but just happens to be the way I see it.

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

What's crazy is that to me it seems like we have two halves of a whole QB between Allen and Peterman. Nate has at least shown that he can get through his reads quicker, and typically more efficiently in identifying coverages, but he lacks the physical talent and skills to convert on those read successes. Whereas Allen is the complete opposite having the physical attributes to do it all at the position, but just doesn't understand read concepts, coverages, and schemes. 

I'm sure many will disagree, especially in regards to Peterman, but just happens to be the way I see it.

Is Nate really making a read ?      Or does he make a pre snap decision on who to throw to and just force the ball there no matter what the coverage looks like after the ball is snapped?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

If you're a Bills fan you have to be rooting for the kid.  I hope he lights it up Sunday.  I doubt he will, I suspect we'll see another pick or two, and if it's a pick 6 that loses the game again I don't know how he'll be able to walk back to the sideline, let alone the locker room.  But I'm rooting for him.

This has got to be his LAST chance. If he plays poorly AGAIN he's cut Monday. Anderson will return as temp starter with Barkley backup. Then by late November Josh should be 100%.

13 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Is Nate really making a read ?      Or does he make a pre snap decision on who to throw to and just force the ball there no matter what the coverage looks like after the ball is snapped?

On some throws it appears that way, but if you look on a few of his INTs (since there are so many) he does actually make the correct read but just can't get the ball there on time. While an outlier, the TD to Zay is a perfect example. The kid is no where near perfect, sorry if that's the impression you got. It's not like Allen has perfect physical attributes either (i.e. footwork, striding, pocket movement, etc.) - but for two essentially rookie QBs they seem to be two halves of a single undeveloped rookie QB.

9 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

LOL... Things seemed so promising after those first 2 games back in 2003, starting with the 31-0 drubbing of the Pats.

Yeah, that was some game! Screen names start to look familiar to me after a while but today for some reason it struck me just how funny it is.

Bills fan humor, ya know?

4 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

I really hope he has a good game no matter how the score ends up. Seems like a stand-up guy, and if he comes out and throws 3 or more horrible picks his football career could be over Monday.

It already is over, except in Buffalo.

Aaron Jones, Matt Milano, George Kittle, Jayon Brown and Jake Elliot were all drafted in the fifth round of the 2017 draft. 

And then there's Peterman.

18 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The reality for Nate is that he should be playing for his roster spot. 

If he stinks it up again, he should be cut and signed to the practice squad. We will not carry 4 QBs. 

Nate SHOULDN'T HAVE A ROSTER SPOT!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see a list of 5th rd QB's that started in their 1st or 2nd year. I would honestly give Peterman a 3rd year before I released him. I think if we released him a team will grab him before he gets to our PS. I would like to see Peterman play behind a better O-Line with better weapons before making a final evaluation on him.

14 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would like to see a list of 5th rd QB's that started in their 1st or 2nd year. I would honestly give Peterman a 3rd year before I released him. I think if we released him a team will grab him before he gets to our PS. I would like to see Peterman play behind a better O-Line with better weapons before making a final evaluation on him.

I d be interested to know which NFL teams those may be =)

• Haha (+1) 1