Do you have any ties to your high school still?

Another Fan

Nope. Never been to a reunion and don't really care to go to one. I never really cared for my community growing up, maybe I just didn't appreciate it but I was a fish out of water in an upper middle class neighborhood that didn't reflect the same views I had.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The Beavis & Butthead thread took me a little back to those times!  Only have one friend from there I still talk too and one guy I see about town every now and then. There’s only been two reunions I’ve known about, didn’t attend.

How bout you?

I have one close friend and a few people I see on an irregular basis from high school.  I've been to only one reunion since I graduated quite a long time ago and did not enjoy it.  I'm done with reunions.  About fifteen years ago there were a few female classmates that looked me up but I was not going to jeopardize my marriage over any one of them.  Generally, I was made to feel like an outcast while in school so most of it I don't miss one bit.  I feel sorry for those that high school was the high point in their lives.

Are You kidding Me!  Class of WestSenecaWest, 1986.

No.  LoL...

26 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Grad in ‘97.  Still have plenty of HS friends that I keep in touch with, but have never been to any class reunions.  For every person that I would enjoy seeing, there are 20 that I would be completely annoyed talking to.

Just like this board. LoL.  HighSchool-esque. ?

My ten year reunion (Frontier, 2008) was this summer. I was acquaintances with most people, but had only a few that I would actually consider to be a friend. The few who I'm friends with, I see every time I come home from Texas to visit. Plus with Facebook and other social media, I already know what they're all up to.  

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

The Beavis & Butthead thread took me a little back to those times!  Only have one friend from there I still talk too and one guy I see about town every now and then. There’s only been two reunions I’ve known about, didn’t attend.

How bout you?

My small circle of friends (local) consists of mostly high school classmates.

I went to my 20th reunion and it was pathetic.  30 is coming up next year; I might go.

My son now goes to the same high school.

My son plays for a cross town rival and the day before my 20th reunion his JV team slapped the heck out of them 56-20 his freshman year.   It was glorious.   

Other than that social media school mates, etc.   all the girls got fat and had 3+ kids.    

I live pretty far from my high school. Graduated in ‘75. I went to my 35th reunion. I exchange Christmas cards with a couple of them. I check in on Facebook rarely. 

We live in the town where my wife went to high school. She has a few friends that she still sees occasionally. 

I still keep in touch with some old buds (baseball,football,wrestling).Every once in a blue moon,we meet up with our brides included for a nice supper.The last reunion we went to I was under dressed,t-shirt,Bermuda shorts and flip flops....some of the fatchix had cocktail dresses,pant suits and skirts on.Nothing like... "Hi Kevin,do you remember me?" and me not matching the name tag with the face is kind of embarrassing...and then come the picture tours of children,grandchilden,pools,pets,yards,dining rooms etc.The drama gig started at 7....me and a few of my buds starting burning joints out in the parking lot by 8.No Mas for me...and my number is unlisted.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

Sounds like you weren't going for the drinks and finger foods...bad boy!

I wanted to get some satisfaction....all the stuck up girls back in the day who wouldn't go to homecoming with me....well my wife is hotter, and thinner than all of them.  

sweet revenge   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

My son plays for a cross town rival and the day before my 20th reunion his JV team slapped the heck out of them 56-20 his freshman year.   It was glorious.   

Other than that social media school mates, etc.   all the girls got fat and had 3+ kids.    

I saw perhaps a dozen between the lone reunion and chance encounters which mostly occurred during our 30's.  They all pretty much got better looking.  I was amazed at what 15 additional pounds in the right places did for one.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I saw perhaps a dozen between the lone reunion and chance encounters which mostly occurred during our 30's.  They all pretty much got better looking.  I was amazed at what 15 additional pounds in the right places did for one.

I've been telling my son "you can always add weight on em, but once it's there it's not coming off". 

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I wanted to get some satisfaction....all the stuck up girls back in the day who wouldn't go to homecoming with me....well my wife is hotter, and thinner than all of them.  

sweet revenge   

All the girls who would not go with you to homecoming?  The heck with them all regardless of how your wife looks.  Hindsight has revealed to me that I would have done much better on that front if it were not for a couple of ring leaders who were down on me for not being a townie.  Most of the kids who lived on the school district border pleaded with their parents to go to other districts.  Some did and some were not allowed by the other district.  One family could have but it meant walking nearly a half mile to a designated pick up point.  Not so bad in September but not so pleasant in January with it 15 degrees out and the wind whipping 25-30 MPH.  They stayed put.

Had my 30th reunion this past August, about 1/3 of the class made it. Amazingly was the number that came from out of state, versus the ones still less than a 30 mile drive that did not come. Had a good time, and actually got to set up a tour of our high school, to see all the changes that have been made, since we were there. 

I graduated from Auburn High School, and due to poor turnout for reunions, they went to doing the reunions by decade.  They had the 90’s reunion last summer I believe.  I didn’t go, but I heard there was a pretty good crowd.  I feel like almost 70% of my graduating class (close to 500 students) moved out of state.

Went to my 25th reunion (Frontier HS Class of 1979) 14 years ago and since I moved away from area shortly after I graduated college rarely was in touch with anyone from my class.  I was active in school events but inactive in events held off school for frankly I could not afford anything.  Reunion was in a church which was remodeled into a concert hall by fellow student in my class.  Everyone seemed to know me and there were a number of people who acted like they were my best friends in high school who I had no idea who they were (I checked my yearbook, they did not sign it).  Was hit on by several women and each I told I was married and pointed to my wife sitting at a table (she did not know anyone so told me I free to socialize).   Looking forward to reunion next year but no news yet.

I do have a tie..we buy wings for the Bills tailgates at the very same Sams Club where my high school used to sit! Went to LaSalle in the Falls, love Canal pretty much wiped out any reason for the school to exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Salle_High_School_(Niagara_Falls,_New_York)

Still one close friend, that is it. Went to 10-year reunuion in 91 ,got lucky..have  not been to one since

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I still keep in touch with some old buds (baseball,football,wrestling).Every once in a blue moon,we meet up with our brides included for a nice supper.The last reunion we went to I was under dressed,t-shirt,Bermuda shorts and flip flops....some of the fatchix had cocktail dresses,pant suits and skirts on.Nothing like... "Hi Kevin,do you remember me?" and me not matching the name tag with the face is kind of embarrassing...and then come the picture tours of children,grandchilden,pools,pets,yards,dining rooms etc.The drama gig started at 7....me and a few of my buds starting burning joints out in the parking lot by 8.No Mas for me...and my number is unlisted.

image.jpeg.c8ffc05ea1d79e5b768c43071e249a9c.jpeg

Cheektowaga Central , Class of 75. Went to my 40th reunion three years ago. About  100 out of 375 showed up.  Three people that we know of that attended have passed since, so that was the last time we saw them.Was fun reminiscing about the old times. One guy served time for  cheating his law clients  (the guy that owned the house that Mario Williams bought), another ran for Erie County DA last year, and one of my classmates married County Sheriff Higgins  (he was at the reunion with her). 

The reunion organizers arranged a tour of the alma mater with the principal the day before.  He made us feel real old when he told us he was one year old when  we graduated.

Edited by Wacka

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Had my 30th reunion this past August, about 1/3 of the class made it. Amazingly was the number that came from out of state, versus the ones still less than a 30 mile drive that did not come. Had a good time, and actually got to set up a tour of our high school, to see all the changes that have been made, since we were there. 

9 hours ago, Wacka said:

Cheektowaga Central , Class of 75. Went to my 40th reunion three years ago. About  100 out of 375 showed up.  Three people that we know of that attended have passed since, so that was the last time we saw them.Was fun reminiscing about the old times. One guy served time for  cheating his law clients  (the guy that owned the house that Mario Williams bought), another ran for Erie County DA last year, and one of my classmates married County Sheriff Higgins  (he was at the reunion with her). 

The reunion organizers arranged a tour of the alma mater with the principal the day before.  He made us feel real old when he told us he was one year old when  we graduated.

I agree with the sentiments here.  I left my small home town after HS and only returned to visit family, but I went to my 40th ten years ago and reconnected with some of my old classmates.  This past year I volunteered to help organize our 50th reunion which was held this past August.  It was a great experience because I not only reconnected with a lot of old classmates and former good friends, I made friends of some classmates who I wasn't friends with back in HS.

I think for most people, HS is probably not a particularly great time, which colors people's attitudes towards early reunions (as a lot of the posts here demonstrate) but time really does change people and heal old wounds.  If you're an oldie, go to your 35th, 40th, 50th class reunion if one comes up.  I think you'll enjoy it.

I went to an all boy school, so reunions aren’t really a thing, but I have a couple of very close friends I always talk to. Then there a second “tier” of guys that we meet every few months to have a dinner. Usually 5-10 guys. A lot stay in connection for business reasons.   Now that I have a son that I’m going to force to go there, I’ve started donating money. 

Edited by teef