Fear of Roughing penalty led to Hughes not finishing sack

YoloinOhio

Mariota didn’t wriggle free due to his own efforts, however. Hughes let him go and he confirmed after the game that he did so because he didn’t want to become the latest player flagged for roughing the passer while finishing a tackle.

“I made an inside move and I’m underneath the quarterback at that point in time. When I go to wrap you up I’m naturally low so I’m naturally underneath you,” Hughes said, via NewYorkUpstate.com. “If I pick him up and finish him, it’s a 15-yard penalty and they might score [a touchdown] on that drive. It’s a tough situation to be in, and I’m very thankful that our secondary played lights out all day and got us off the field.”

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I used to fricken hate the "in the grasp" rule. But if they are going to call so many roughing the passers they need to start to call that again so players like Hughes arent scared of finishing plays. It weakens the game.

Yep or put flags on them — it’s BS

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

The liberal NFL-don't hurt anybody, keep everything safe, and hand out participation trophies. It's slowly ruining the game. What's next-they stop keeping score so nobody's feeling get hurt and everybody "wins?"

Enough with the politics crap...it has nothing to do with liberal or conservative and everything to do with money and the future of the NFL.

You sound like my parents who can’t have a normal conversation without injecting politics...get over it.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Enough with the politics crap...it has nothing to do with liberal or conservative and everything to do with money and the future of the NFL.

Thank you. Signed in just to say this but you beat me to it. Second time that moron has called out “liberalism” in an attempt to explain the rules. It’s not “liberals”, it’s Goodell (a known conservative for the matter, hey-yo). His dad was a famous Repub you dweeb.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Nelius said:

Thank you. Signed in just to say this but you beat me to it. Second time that moron has called out “liberalism” in an attempt to explain the rules. It’s not “liberals”, it’s Goodell (a known conservative for the matter, hey-yo). His dad was a famous Repub you dweeb.

Just now, DBilz2500 said:
2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yea no kiddin thank you as well.

Just now, DBilz2500 said:
2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Fantastic work you drunk.

• Haha (+1) 1

The new rules are ridiculous, but Jerry still deserves some blame here. He should have held onto him until a whistle. Honestly I think he thought Mariota might have fumbled the ball too. It was moving when Jerry hit him and he might have let go to try and recover it. But still, the new rules are having a terrible effect on the game. 

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

The liberal NFL-don't hurt anybody, keep everything safe, and hand out participation trophies. It's slowly ruining the game. What's next-they stop keeping score so nobody's feeling get hurt and everybody "wins?"

What participation trophies have the NFL handed out? 

Just curious. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is turning into a flag football league right before our eyes. 

Hughes, usually a loose cannon, showed restraint; which is good. 

Allen flopped today which prompted a penalty. This is the future, soccer mentality. 

Players flopping is anti American and a rule will have to be made against this. 

A slippery slope. 

Edited by COTC

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

You sound like my parents who can’t have a normal conversation without injecting politics...get over it.

DBilz2500 is your daddy?

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Sounds like the skinhead nazi is unhappy with NFL.

Keep politics out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

dumbest post of the day...year.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looked to me like Hughes thought Mariotta got the pass off.  Still, he was being extra cautious with the contact.  Needs to wrap up there regardless.

Yes it did look that way. Mariota was in a throwing motion and the ball hit the top of Hughes' helmet.

Hughes probably thought he got the pass off, but you're right, Hughes was being very cautious.

21 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Wouldnt that be the opposite. I don’t think you are referring to politics, however, style of play. 

Conservative is going into a shell and not making mistakes. 

Liberal is going all out, not caring about injury or others. 

You have the two confused. 

12 minutes ago, MPT said:

The new rules are ridiculous, but Jerry still deserves some blame here. He should have held onto him until a whistle. Honestly I think he thought Mariota might have fumbled the ball too. It was moving when Jerry hit him and he might have let go to try and recover it. But still, the new rules are having a terrible effect on the game. 

You are correct, it was a bad play by Hughes. Hold him til the whistle blows. My first reaction was that Hughes though Mariotta had passed or fumbled.

22 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looked to me like Hughes thought Mariotta got the pass off.  Still, he was being extra cautious with the contact.  Needs to wrap up there regardless.

I agree - he even looked back like he thought the throw was gone.  Still could of got roughing, but it sure looked more like he had him at the end of the pump fake and then let him go.

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Remember when Hughes was good for a 15 yard PF once a game under Rex? Good to him for putting the team first but it is a damn shame what the league is turning into.

That is just untrue. I know you are somewhat exaggerating, but I think the most he ever had in a season was four, and it may have been three. Hughes has been our best defensive player in the last five years, counting Kyle, and everyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

I call BS. Guy has probably led the NFL in personal fouls the past 4 or 5 years and he suddenly got scared of a flag this one time? He either thought Mariota got the pass off or he thought the play was dead due to forward progress. The penalties haven’t stopped him from sacking the QB all year but we’re supposed to believe it stopped him this week after the refs have clearly stopped calling it as strictly?

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Mostly pro bowl where sometimes the 9th best player often goes since others were busy (Superbowl), wife says no (Br*dy), injured or had other plans that week.

Not sure if you're just pulling my leg, but there are still thousands of players who play the game and never make a Pro Bowl. Also, no one takes it seriously. Also also, it's been around far longer than the new player safety rules.

31 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

My god... what happened to you in your life where you feel compelled to spew crap like this?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That's exactly what it looked like to me.  If he just keeps his arms wrapped around him he can't throw the pass. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is just untrue. I know you are somewhat exaggerating, but I think the most he ever had in a season was four, and it may have been three. Hughes has been our best defensive player in the last five years, counting Kyle, and everyone else.

I always loved Hughes as a player and still do, he's a beast.  Under the undisciplined Rexy teams Hughes would blow some fuses. My post was to give credit to Hughes for putting the team first, he has been playing some disciplined ball, even when being held half the time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I always loved Hughes as a player and still do, he's a beast.  Under the undisciplined Rexy teams Hughes would blow some fuses. My post was to give credit to Hughes for putting the team first, he has been playing some disciplined ball, even when being held half the time.

Cool. He hustles more than anyone on the team, including Kyle Williams. And always has since he's been here.