Has anyone else noticed that the NFL has turned into the arena league?

What is even the point of running the football anymore?  Seriously?  You no longer need to establish the run to keep defenses honest.  Every decent QB in the league (and at this point, due in part to the rules making it easier to play QB, who doesn't have a decent QB?) averages 7-8 YPA.  So really, why run?  To average 4 YPC and create a more manageable third down?  All the good teams just pass every play at this point and are taking what they want.  It used to be, if a QB had 450 yards and 4 TD's it was because his team was down the whole game and, usually, lost.  Now 450 yards and 4 TD's is good for the third highest fantasy total among QB's in a given week.  This is what the NFL has wanted for years and now they've got it.  I grew up watching great running backs.  I love 21-17 football games where every yard is hard-earned.  I think this sucks.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Guess you missed the Titans vs. Jags game last Sunday. 

Yes, I am aware that not every game looks like this one.  My point is that the Steelers on Monday night can just come out and not mask the fact that they're not even trying to establish any sort of running game, pass every play, everyone in the stadium knows it, and they can be effective that way and win.  And it's not just hall of famers like Roethlisberger.  More than half the QB's in the league can do this now.  Blake Bortles did it two weeks ago against New England.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s been trending this way for a long time, it’s a passing league. 

Whats more exciting, a Stefon Diggs one handed catch or a 3 yard run by cook? 

The rules are even skewed more year by year to enforce more and more passing. 

It creates more excitement, unless rules are adjusted to help defenses expect the trend to continue up 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Yes, I am aware that not every game looks like this one.  My point is that the Steelers on Monday night can just come out and not mask the fact that they're not even trying to establish any sort of running game, pass every play, everyone in the stadium knows it, and they can be effective that way and win.  And it's not just hall of famers like Roethlisberger.  More than half the QB's in the league can do this now.  Blake Bortles did it two weeks ago against New England.

I hear ya, I liked a more balanced games O-D... This is what the NFL is now....

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

that the NFL has completely turned into the arena league right in front of our eyes?  What is even the point of running the football anymore?  Seriously?  You no longer need to establish the run to keep defenses honest.  Every decent QB in the league (and at this point, due in part to the rules making it easier to play QB, who doesn't have a decent QB?) averages 7-8 YPA.  So really, why run?  To average 4 YPC and create a more manageable third down?  All the good teams just pass every play at this point and are taking what they want.  It used to be, if a QB had 450 yards and 4 TD's it was because his team was down the whole game and, usually, lost.  Now 450 yards and 4 TD's is good for the third highest fantasy total among QB's in a given week.  This is what the NFL has wanted for years and now they've got it.  I grew up watching great running backs.  I love 21-17 football games where every yard is hard-earned.  I think this sucks.

This has been a thing since polian and the rules committee further emphasized the contact rules for defensive backs after the colts receivers got mugged by the pats in the playoffs in like 2004...Its where the game was headed eventually anyhow. You have to remember teams used to run because it was more efficient to run..even up until the late 90s some teams barely even had a shotgun formation in their playbook..now you have all these spread concepts from college and such.

Makes the Giants decision to take a running back over a top QB seem even more idiotic.

Just think what the Bills could have done with McCoy, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Clay and Harvin if they had a really good QB and a sharp OC.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Could this have something to do with our lack of a passing game over the past 15 years? Just admit you're jealous. Also admit that you were excited when Allen was on pace for over 300 yards last week at halftime.

Admit?  I am one of probably like five people on planet Earth who is diehard Bills and Wyoming football.  I am like half gay for Josh Allen.  Going to Wyoming-Boise State on Saturday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

The teams with the stronger running games and the stronger defenses usually win when it matters. I’m not going to take the time to go through everything but if you were to look at the last 20+ super bowl winners, the team with the better defense wins the majority of the time. Beating the likes of super high powered teams like the undefeated Pats, Falcons, cardinals, pats again, and again....

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

The teams with the stronger running games and the stronger defenses usually win when it matters. I’m not going to take the time to go through everything but if you were to look at the last 20+ super bowl winners, the team with the better defense wins the majority of the time. Beating the likes of super high powered teams like the undefeated Pats, Falcons, cardinals, pats again, and again....

I agree 100%.  I'm saying that is changing right now as we speak.  I actually just looked up on football reference and while everything is of course trending toward more pass attempts, more passing yards, less rushing attempts, yards, etc., the numbers are not as staggeringly different as I thought they might be, or at least how it feels.  Perhaps things will change when it gets colder/closer to playoff time but right now it's seriously like, what is the point of running the ball ever?  But FWIW, the Super Bowl last year was another one of these arena league games like tonight.

3 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I agree 100%.  I'm saying that is changing right now as we speak.  I actually just looked up on football reference and while everything is of course trending toward more pass attempts, more passing yards, less rushing attempts, yards, etc., the numbers are not as staggeringly different as I thought they might be, or at least how it feels.  Perhaps things will change when it gets colder/closer to playoff time but right now it's seriously like, what is the point of running the ball ever?  But FWIW, the Super Bowl last year was another one of these arena league games like tonight.

It might have been. But I bet you the team with the better running game and better defense won. Just like tonight’s game. Gurley played well. Much better than Mns running backs. And the LA defense is 100% why they win that game. When it mattered, Cousins was on his back 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

It might have been. But I bet you the team with the better running game and better defense won. Just like tonight’s game. Gurley played well. Much better than Mns running backs. And the LA defense is 100% why they win that game. When it mattered, Cousins was on his back 

And yet Cousins was 36-50 for 422 yards, 3 TD's and no picks.  Prior to a decade ago, that would've been the most efficient stat line we'd ever seen from a QB.  Now, multiple QB's put up numbers like that every week!  The guy he played against had an even better stat line than that!!

3 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

And yet Cousins was 36-50 for 422 yards, 3 TD's and no picks.  Prior to a decade ago, that would've been the most efficient stat line we'd ever seen from a QB.  Now, multiple QB's put up numbers like that every week!  The guy he played against had an even better stat line than that!!

Maybe the guy he played against had a better stat line because the defense he played against wasn’t as good???

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Maybe the guy he played against had a better stat line because the defense he played against wasn’t as good???

These were literally supposed to be the two best defenses in football and both QB's pitched perfect games with double digit K's.  And this is happening every single week.  It's a new era, that's all I'm saying.

1 minute ago, metzelaars_lives said:

These were literally supposed to be the two best defenses in football and both QB's pitched perfect games with double digit K's.  And this is happening every single week.  It's a new era, that's all I'm saying.

Every single week worh a few players that are the best of the best. Against defenses that aren’t the best of the best. 

Just like to argue. I get your point. But there’s arguments against your points as well. 

1 hour ago, metzelaars_lives said:

It may seem that way, but it's not.

Last year, for instance, not one single team threw more than 63% of the time. And the top ten teams in throwing percentage, with a couple of exceptions, were throwing a lot because they sucked and were often playing catch-up. The top ten:

1) Miami

2) Detroit

3) Tampa Bay

4) NY Giants

5) Cleveland

6) SF

7) Green Bay

? Arizona

9) Oakland

10) NE

I agree in principal because some of the recent games do look like arena football with all the easy passing going on. You cant breathe on a WR without getting flagged now.
It does suck because every team is gonna start switching to that more pass heavy offense in the near future. Theres nothing you can do about it. Enjoy it for what it is and get stoned or get stoned and watch old games on youtube or streaming sites.

In the history of the NFL, guess how many times there has been a game where both QB's threw for 400+ yards, 3+ TD's and 0 INT's?  Three times.  Guess how many of those games have occurred in 2018?  Two.  Yes, the game is very different now.

What I saw in the Minn-LA game was two outstanding QBs throwing perfect pass after perfect pass, and often beating good coverage by putting the ball exactly where it needed to be.  I'll grant you there were also a lot of wide open receivers but even then the QBs hit them in stride most of the time. 

I would like to see the rules changed to allow defenders to make contact down field, and to do more to disrupt pass receiver routes.  And for heaven's sake let defenders sack QBs without penalties.  Either that or have the QBs wear flags and call them sacked if the defender can pull the flag off. 

Edited by Utah John
fixed typo

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

It creates more excitement, unless rules are adjusted to help defenses expect the trend to continue up 

No it doesn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

What I saw in the Minn-LA game was two outstanding QBs throwing perfect pass after perfect pass, and often beating good coverage by putting the ball exactly where it needed to be.  I'll grant you there were also a lot of wide open receivers but even then the QBs hit them in stride most of the time. 

I would like to see the rules changed to allow defenders to make contact down field, and to do more to disrupt pass receiver routes.  And for heaven's sake let defenders sack QBs without penalties.  Either that or have the QBs wear flags and call them sacked if the defender can pull the flag off. 

When did you see good coverage?

4 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Makes the Giants decision to take a running back over a top QB seem even more idiotic.

Just think what the Bills could have done with McCoy, Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Clay and Harvin if they had a really good QB and a sharp OC.

Ground and pound baby.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Admit?  I am one of probably like five people on planet Earth who is diehard Bills and Wyoming football.  I am like half gay for Josh Allen.  Going to Wyoming-Boise State on Saturday.

No half measures! 

Either you're all in or all out.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the coverage part ..the Rams scored 2 tds in a row by using presnap motion to get gurley and then Cooper kupp on Anthony Barr and it was literally two wide open td throws. The Vikings deep coverage has been atrocious all year..Allen could have had two 50+ yard tds last Sunday.  The Rams didn't have great coverage either the only thing that stopped cousins from wide open throws was pressure .

Had the same exact thought watching last night's game: this is what the League wants the product to look like.  An arena league-style, pass-happy explosion of offense with the very rare and occasional physical play.  Rightly or wrongly, the League thinks that "evolution" is necessary to protect the game (and its players) long-term.  They're concerned about viewership and the decline of pee wee and high school football programs.

I don't know how I feel about it - I certainly understand it, but it also kind of sucks for those of us who grew up watching a beautiful but violent sport.  I do think, as PFT pointed out earlier this week, that it opens the door for a competitor to emerge.

• Like (+1) 3

It evolved when the passing game started being emphasized in high school ball. Better passers are coming through the ranks. This is the same trend as the "athletic qb who uses his legs". Or maybe the NFL started the trend and lower ranks caught on. ?? My point is ....wait....there is no point. Points to ponder....

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The NFL will never do that . And we have already seen what this looks like .  Just watch the Super Bowl run of Seattle in 2013-2014.  Their DBs openly mauled wide receivers and often got away with it .  The NFL clamped down on DB contact after that season....  

Edited by prissythecat
Typo

10 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

The NFL will never do that . And we have already seen what this looks like .  Just watch the Super Bowl run of Seattle in 2013-2014.  Their DBs openly mauled wide receivers and often got away with it .  The NFL clamped down on DB contact after that season....  

They did ?!? Smh how many times can they " clamp down further " they already did prior because of polian. What's next banning contact within 5 yards line of scrimmage...

Through 3 weeks (plus last night), the average points scored per team/per game is 22.

For all of 2017 (regular season), the average points scored per team/per game was 23.

I think we saw two very good QBs on display last night.  I don't know what the statistics for average yards of offense/team are - but my guess is that teams are definitely moving the ball more (as NFL defenses continue to be castrated).

The difference with teams with good QBs is more touchdowns and less FGs/turnovers in the red zone - hence the higher score last night.

There was also some ****ty officiating last night (and throughout the league) that contributed to keeping drives alive.