3rd and more than 5.....felt different...

The Process

For the entire tuhrod tenure I felt sick on third and more than 5 yards. Yesterday....it just felt different. I remember back in the glory years it was relaxing to see Kelly in shotgun Reed loaded for bear on third down. I felt a little of that yesterday.....anyone else feel that way?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Process said:

For the entire tuhrod tenure I felt sick on third and more than 5 yards. Yesterday....it just felt different. I remember back in the glory years it was relaxing to see Kelly in shotgun Reed loaded for bear on third down. I felt a little of that yesterday.....anyone else feel that way?

Yes. It feels like anything is possible. 

Fourth and 8 in the fourth quarter when they lined up and let the play clock expire, I was thinking "it's okay, go for it."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Process said:

I feel sick that tuhrod wasted the buffalo careers of Woods, Goodwin, Watkins, and Hogan 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, The Process said:

Yes.  Loved the description from Micah Hyde when he saw Allen hurdle a LB to get the 1st down.  Said he was standing up screaming, ran onto the field "to dab him up" (congratulate him) - "But don't ever do that again"

If the team was checking out, starting Allen is a credit card that checked them all in.  Well, most of them,  Benjamin seems resistant.

• Like (+1) 3

Something else that felt different: in the past, the Bills have had a penchant for reaching into the jaws of victory to snatch defeat. So much so that my definition of a "comfortable" lead is a 7-to-1 ratio: 7 points for every minute left in the game.

Yesterday, about 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter, I felt very comfortable with a 1-to-1 ratio.

I know exactly what you mean - 3rd down was always a point of complete lack of confidence that we could convert, and any result to the otherwise was met with equal surprise. Especially under Tyrod, you just could never count on the offense doing anything to convert 3rd downs. We've established, ad nauseam, that it was due to Dennison and Taylor primarily, but Allen makes or at least attempts the throws that we haven't seen in a hot minute from this team. 

I always equated it to the Pats offense, or other offenses where the momentum is so palpable that you can't help but feel like they were going to drive the field and score. It'd be nice to see some of that again, and get that feeling back.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  Loved the description from Micah Hyde when he saw Allen hurdle a LB to get the 1st down.  Said he was standing up screaming, ran onto the field "to dab him up" (congratulate him) - "But don't ever do that again"

If the team was checking out, starting Allen is a credit card that checked them all in.  Well, most of them,  Benjamin seems resistant.

Benjamin is going to have to figure it out quickly if Allen keeps beaning him with the ball.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Process said:

Wow, I'm not there yet.  I never felt sick on 3rd downs with Tyrod.  I remember that guy picking up plenty of 3rd downs with crazy runs and pocket escapes.  

Edited by stony
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stony said:

Wow, I'm not there yet.  I never felt sick on 3rd downs with Tyrod.  I remember that guy picking up more 3rd downs with crazy runs and pocket escapes.  

Yea but at least it's not a 2-3 yard dump off.

That's the one thing I like seeing.  Allen is looking for the sticks, not the safety valve.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yea but at least it's not a 2-3 yard dump off.

That's the one thing I like seeing.  Allen is looking for the sticks, not the safety valve.

Exactly. He has a presence and awareness about him already that Tyrod rarely displayed. 

It did not feel different. It is different.  Allen forces defense to respect damn near the whole field on every down.  Since 3rd and 10 is well with Allens' ability to convert, teams have to consider that the bills can go for it on first and second down every series . If the bills no five yards on second and 10, but there is a five a yard penalty, its not a no brainer too put the Bills back five yards for second and 15 any more. 

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

I feel sick that tuhrod wasted the buffalo careers of Woods, Goodwin, Watkins, and Hogan 

EJ had a say in the matter as well.

41 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Every down felt different.  I feel like a first down is possible at anytime.  

It was nice to see good chunkage ( is that a word)? on first down. Loved seeing 2nd and 4 and 3 and 1 as often as we did. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

Wow, I'm not there yet.  I never felt sick on 3rd downs with Tyrod.  I remember that guy picking up plenty of 3rd downs with crazy runs and pocket escapes.  

yeah, tyrod definitely had his share of highlights while in buffalo. but this past season, they seemed to be less frequent. but allen seems to be not only dynamic with his arm and legs...this dude's "want to" is off the charts! don't crush me for saying this, but he plays like Fitz but with the physical tools to back it up.

2 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

yeah, tyrod definitely had his share of highlights while in buffalo. but this past season, they seemed to be less frequent. but allen seems to be not only dynamic with his arm and legs...this dude's "want to" is off the charts! don't crush me for saying this, but he plays like Fitz but with the physical tools to back it up.

Ha! No need to crush you, I know what you're saying.  It's important for a QB to have a little Fitz in him if you know what I mean.  Tyrod could have used it. 

5 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

In honor of Josh Allen day, I won't crush you for saying that.  But that is the only free pass.  Other than the fact that they play the same position, there is nothing similar about them.  Allen could also never grow the fitzpatrick mountain man beard. 

2 minutes ago, stony said:

Ha! No need to crush you, I know what you're saying.  It's important for a QB to have a little Fitz in him if you know what I mean.  Tyrod could have used it. 

my man crush on Fitz is well documented here in the hallowed halls of TBD. i have always respected him for giving everything he had and being a good guy, and such an interesting and entertaining guy. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

In honor of Josh Allen day, I won't crush you for saying that.  But that is the only free pass.  Other than the fact that they play the same position, there is nothing similar about them.  Allen could also never grow the fitzpatrick mountain man beard. 

the fearless attitude on the field. allen has so much more natural talent than Fitz. but i have always said the Fitz approaches the position the way i want my qb to play it. 

6 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

my man crush on Fitz is well documented here in the hallowed halls of TBD. i have always respected him for giving everything he had and being a good guy, and such an interesting and entertaining guy. 

the fearless attitude on the field. allen has so much more natural talent than Fitz. but i have always said the Fitz approaches the position the way i want my qb to play it. 

I was mostly kidding, and understand what you are getting at.  But there is a difference.  Fitz "takes chances" .  Allen executes difficult to execute plays.  He is not taking chances. 

11 hours ago, The Process said:

Pretty sure I’ve had the same feeling since Kelly retired. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I was mostly kidding, and understand what you are getting at.  But there is a difference.  Fitz "takes chances" .  Allen executes difficult to execute plays.  He is not taking chances. 

fitz is an absolute gambler, because he has a "gunslinger's" mentality in a game manager's body. Allen has all the tools you could ever want, and appears to have the work ethic and desire as well. and he has already displayed some serious leadership skills, both on the field and on the sideline. i am all kinds of excited for this kid!

Just now, swnybillsfan said:

fitz is an absolute gambler, because he has a "gunslinger's" mentality in a game manager's body. Allen has all the tools you could ever want, and appears to have the work ethic and desire as well. and he has already displayed some serious leadership skills, both on the field and on the sideline. i am all kinds of excited for this kid!

Allen is special.  Already the most entertaining QB in the league to watch. 

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Allen is special.  Already the most entertaining QB in the league to watch. 

i love his competitive fire. he seems like a good kid. and it appears he is learning from his mistakes and growing every week (i know it is a small sample size, but darn it, it's exciting!). we know he has the rocket launcher and the athleticism, but it appears he is really working on what were supposed to be the apparent flaws in his game. oh yeah, and this kid's highlight reel is full of positive expletives...i cannot wait for the next game!

1 hour ago, swnybillsfan said:

You are back on notice.  After the first half of tonight's game. Fitz comparisons to Allen are banned. 

4 hours ago, ctk232 said:

I know exactly what you mean - 3rd down was always a point of complete lack of confidence that we could convert, and any result to the otherwise was met with equal surprise. Especially under Tyrod, you just could never count on the offense doing anything to convert 3rd downs. We've established, ad nauseam, that it was due to Dennison and Taylor primarily, but Allen makes or at least attempts the throws that we haven't seen in a hot minute from this team. 

I always equated it to the Pats offense, or other offenses where the momentum is so palpable that you can't help but feel like they were going to drive the field and score. It'd be nice to see some of that again, and get that feeling back.

I actually remember reading that Tyrod had one of the better 3rd down conversion rates out of all the quarterbacks in the league. I'm trying to find the article now.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's because he already "knows" he's the #1.

He is such a tool, truly entitled, acts "untouchable" because he's the "#1, right?"

It was a great game, and incredible start, but I did feel like the game could have been much difderent if not for the PF against Minnesota on the Bills first 3rd down of the game. It would have been 3 and out to start the game. Instead, the penalty extended what would become a very nice drive, capped by a team sparking Superman dive from beyond the 4 yard line. 

I finally realized what feels different now. It's a feeling that has been missing since Kelly. 

Allen is threatening to a defense.

It feels like he can put a defense back on it's heels. The last 20 years of QBs, not one of them really provided that feeling.

They gotta get some guys that can get around the whole field quick, and really spread the secondary out. He can get the ball there so fast, it will really play on their minds (and the D-Coordinators).

Edited by OJ Tom