Peterman Stats - Historical Ranking?

ngbills

Has any QB had a worse start to their career? He has three starts and all under 100 yds passing. Basically all under 50% passing. 7 picks in 42 passes. Has there ever been a worse three starts? 

6-14, , 66 yds, 0, td, 5 int

5-10, 57 yds, 1 td, 0 int

5-18, 24 yds, 0 td, 2 int

I believe his QB rating for today was ZERO.

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Has any QB had a worse start to their career? He has three starts and all under 100 yds passing. Basically all under 50% passing. 7 picks in 42 passes. Has there ever been a worse three starts? 

Those "pros" drafting talent in the NFL really know their stuff, don't they! 

I wonder if we had simply taken best QB available from Mel Kiper's draft guide if we would have been better off.

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Tom Tupa. He became a punter after his first start though. He didn't have a coach that kept pushing him out there even though he was terrible.

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

You know he’s going to likely get to add to those stats and that’s the scary thing.  It’s impressive - that the coaches and FO could be so clueless as to the talent they have at QB and on the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I feel bad for the guy. 

He's going to be a punchline the rest of his life, and he never should have ever been on the field. 

A 5th round pick starting as a rookie and as the starter in his 2nd season. What were our coaches thinking? 

They have gut feelings instead of using brain power. 

If you bench Tyrod because of that Saints' game performance, you HAVE to bench Peterman. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And assign more weight to character and cleanliness than talent and skill and production. Character is important but not most important. 

Pat DiMarco made some major impacts in the game today right? I'm glad he's on the roster and he wears a captain patch to do LITERALLY nothing for this team on the field. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I feel bad for the guy. 

He's going to be a punchline the rest of his life, and he never should have ever been on the field. 

A 5th round pick starting as a rookie and as the starter in his 2nd season. What were our coaches thinking? 

That is the most concerning part.  They were obviously convinced enough that they were okay with a raw rookie and a 2nd year guy that had shown nothing in live regular season action to trade away McCarron.  Not that McCarron was a good pickup or would’ve been the best option, but my god Im getting the impression that they can’t assess the position at all.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Ayjent said:

That is the most concerning part.  They were obviously convinced enough that they were okay with a raw rookie and a 2nd year guy that had shown nothing in live regular season action to trade away McCarron.  Not that McCarron was a good pickup or would’ve been the best option, but my god Im getting the impression that they can’t assess the position at all.

As am I.

I don't think they have any idea what a good QB prospect looks like. 

Just now, Ayjent said:

I don't get it either. I don't know why McCarron was traded. That was weird. I thought "Stupid move."

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Well i did read in other threads from the Peterman fan club that his stats aren’t as bad as they seem.  For instance in first game, two or three of the INTs were because of the balls bouncing off the receivers hands.  In second game , Peterman should have been 10-10 because the balls bounced off the chest of the receivers . And in the third game from Today, the receivers either ran horrible routes or didn’t make an effort for the ball .

12 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

That's what scares me the most as well. The general consensus was Allen would need some time but their backup/transition plan looks pretty bad right now.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m all for playing him next week to prove to himself that he can be an NFL QB. I am totally a Peterman hater but at this point I’d like to see him have some success for his own sake. I truly feel bad for this guy. He’s had 2 games in horrible conditions & another where Bosa & the Chargers destroyed him on the road. Give the kid a home start in favorable conditions & maybe he can save face.  

Edited by Dr.Sack

33 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m all for playing him next week to prove to himself that he can be an NFL QB. I am totally a Peterman hater but at this point I’d like to see him have some success for his own sake. I truly feel bad for this guy. He’s had 2 games in horrible conditions & another where Bosa & the Chargers destroyed him on the road. Give the kid a home start in favorable conditions & maybe he can save face.  

I feel bad for him too.  If this were some little kids’ rec league, I’d agree with you—but this is actually regular season NFL stuff now.  Other (i.e., “good”) teams don’t play these games with crappy players.  They say thank you for giving it a shot—good luck (goodbye).

Edited by Cugalabanza
  • Like (+1) 2

Burn me once shame on you - Burn me twice shame on me !!

I wonder if they are missing AJ now or at least thinking that they should have at the very least kept him until they found out how Petermen was going to look ! Not a real good choice at the moment !! 

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Tom Tupa. He became a punter after his first start though. He didn't have a coach that kept pushing him out there even though he was terrible.

Tom Tupa. That's a good one. He somehow got 13 QB starts in his illustrious career. Finished with a 60.5 QB rating, so Peterman has quite a ways to go to reach the Tupa Line. Bill Simmons used to point to Jack Trudeau as the QB equivalent of a replacement level player in baseball.  In other words, the absolute bottom level of performance you can have and still manage to stick around for more than a couple years. Trudeau finished his 10 year career (!) with a 63.3 QB rating. As far as journeyman "you can sign him as an emergency QB if forced to do so" level of play, my go-to example has been Thad Lewis. He's 2-4 as a starter in his career, for an 81.4 QB rating. Really, unless you're grooming a very talented rookie/2nd year player (umm, this would not be Mr. Peterman), there's no reason to accept QB play in this day and age that's significantly worse than what you'd get by signing Thad Lewis off the street. And that, my friends, is exactly where we are: worse off than if we'd signed a couple guys off the street.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Shut up, never say that again. We say that ALL THE TIME AND GET MULTIPLE PICKS. Unless you're making fun of that Peterman thing don't fan the flames. For God's sake how many times to we have to say "how are we sure he doesn't suck ?"

2 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I don't get it either. I don't know why McCarron was traded. That was weird. I thought "Stupid move."

Last year gave them too much confidence in their ability to make the right calls on players and trades.  Last year was remarkable, and I get why fans were trusting.  I saw a team that significantly overachieved with a lot of problems on the long term horizon where they would need to use every pick they had to try to restock the team.  It’s finally caught up with them and I dont think they believe they have a bad team, but they are in for a hard lesson because it’s a team that simply is not good enough.  Gutting a team isn’t hard, winning with a gutted team is.  

15 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Last year gave them too much confidence in their ability to make the right calls on players and trades.  Last year was remarkable, and I get why fans were trusting.  I saw a team that significantly overachieved with a lot of problems on the long term horizon where they would need to use every pick they had to try to restock the team.  It’s finally caught up with them and I dont think they believe they have a bad team, but they are in for a hard lesson because it’s a team that simply is not good enough.  Gutting a team isn’t hard, winning with a gutted team is.  

Agreed. A little hubris, perhaps, Mr. Beane and Mr. McDermott? Every other team with a rookie 1st rounder went the traditional route and brought in the savvy veteran (Mayfield-Tyrod; Darnold-McCown+Bridgewater; Rosen-Bradford) as a bridge. We did it with AJ, but then McBeane thought "we don't need the bridge guy after all ... no matter how bad he was in his first start, Peterman is better than those journeymen." But he isn't. Vontae Davis, and even to an extent Trent Murphy I can understand - those are traditional buy low(er) post-injury guys, not unlike trading for EJ Gaines last year. Star L. made zero sense however, and assuming that they'd be able to patch together an O line after losing three plus starters was true overoptimism on the part of the new regime.

Peterman reminds me of the Modelo Especial commercial..."it doesn't matter what you do in life, just be the best at it".

Well, apparently Peterman has decided to suck as an NFL QB and is determined to be the best at it...

In his first game, he sets an all-time NFL record with 5 INTs in a half.  In today's game he plays a large role in ensuring he Bills suffer their worst opening day loss in franchise history...hat's off to you for being the best at sucking.  Now go back to the bench and never play in another game again.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's what scares me the most as well. The general consensus was Allen would need some time but their backup/transition plan looks pretty bad right now.

this is eerily similar to what we did with EJ. Dump the vet incumbent starter. Sign a vet that can't get out of TC.  EJ was a consensus project as is Allen. But now they have to start because they have no one else.  

Brilliant.

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

do we want Nasty Nat e to "save face", or do we want to try to win the game?

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Gutting a team isn’t hard, winning with a gutted team is.

getting back to at leAst competitive after gutting a team is hard.