Lacanfora: Bills have reached out to Raiders about Khalil Mack trade

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree.  Anything less than two firsts is a steal .............. for a team that's one pass rusher away from being a contender.

I think the Bills still have too many holes to justify trading early picks.

I agree we have many holes to fill. None of them more glaring than our lack of an elite edge rusher who can manufacture pressure on his own. We will have to use an early pick to find that guy anyway, assuming he’s even there when it’s our turn to pick in the first place. And even then we’d be drafting a prospect who hasn’t proved anything at the next level, let alone been named All Pro at multiple positions and defensive MVP. Other than on a blue chip QB (which we already have, ostensibly), I can’t think of a better use of “draft capital.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I agree we have many holes to fill. None of them more glaring than our lack of an elite edge rusher who can manufacture pressure on his own. We will have to use an early pick to find that guy anyway, assuming he’s even there when it’s our turn to pick in the first place. And even then we’d be drafting a prospect who hasn’t proved anything at the next level, let alone been named All Pro at multiple positions and defensive MVP. Other than on a blue chip QB (which we already have, ostensibly), I can’t think of a better use of “draft capital.”

I think the perception here is that the Bills can just rapidly improve next offseason by keeping picks and then buying star players in FA.............but teams like the Niners and Jets had vast amounts of cap room this past offseason(more than the Bills will have next offseason) and found the pickings pretty slim in FA.

Pending FA's have more trade value than they've ever had before.    Simply put there is lot's of cap room out there and not that much to spend it on. 

So short of the Bills ending up with the top pick in the draft and getting some team to trade a ton of picks to move up trying to get a QB I don't see how trading a first and a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be anything less than a smart deal for Buffalo knowing what we know now.

And part of that is knowing that teams simply aren't paying thru the nose to move up in the draft.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the perception here is that the Bills can just rapidly improve next offseason by keeping picks and then buying star players in FA.............but teams like the Niners and Jets had vast amounts of cap room this past offseason(more than the Bills will have next offseason) and found the pickings pretty slim in FA.

Pending FA's have more trade value than they've ever had before.    Simply put there is lot's of cap room out there and not that much to spend it on. 

So short of the Bills ending up with the top pick in the draft and getting some team to trade a ton of picks to move up trying to get a QB I don't see how trading a first and a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be anything less than a smart deal for Buffalo knowing what we know now.

And part of that is knowing that teams simply aren't paying thru the nose to move up in the draft.

Look at the 2019 crop. Not that impressive, and many of the good players here (OBJ, Clowney) will likely be retained. https://overthecap.com/free-agency

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Look at the 2019 crop. Not that impressive, and many of the good players here (OBJ, Clowney) will likely be retained. https://overthecap.com/free-agency

It's like the saying goes, "there is a reason they are free agents."   It's not like the NBA, NHL, or MLB, great players dont end up in free agency.  They don't control where they want to be because they cant opt out. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah even in an average year under the current CBA there isn't nearly enough FA talent to go around anymore.

One of the best ways to cover up holes on your team is having playmakers at key positions.

Mack is a playmaker.

If they don't get him, they don't get him..........but it's a lot easier to run the ball and play field position offensively when your defense can force the action.

From what I've seen this offensieve line features 5 guys who are exponentially better run blockers than they are pass blockers.

It's frustrating having to tolerate a stunted passing game for yet another season but if your OL can't pass block you gotta' adapt.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/24/2018 at 1:39 AM, purple haze said:

He wants his value.  He's willing to go to the wall, apparently for that value.  That's business.  Nothing

out of the ordinary, or different than anyone else walking the earth would do if they had the leverage

to do so.  He's said absolutely nothing about the situation, the Raiders, Gruden or anything else.  He's

been quiet.  All people have seen is him working out.

Quiet and working.  Sounds like a McBeane dude to me.  But if that's not enough to convince you...

McBeane has stressed production.  Checkmark for Mack:

NFL Defensive Player of the Year. 

2x First team All Pro -- 1 year at two different positions. DE and OLB.

3 Pro Bowl selections.

Finalist for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

McBeane has stressed versatility.  Checkmark for Mack:

2x First team All Pro at two different positions in the same year.  DE and OLB.

Great pass rusher, but also able to drop into coverage.

McBeane has stressed availability.  Checkmark for Mack:

Has started 16 games every season of his career.  No missed games.

Mack, just entering his prime at 27 years old, has done all of this in four years, and in spite of

being doubled teamed on a weekly basis. That's a Hall of Fame start to a career.  You don't think

he's a McBeane type of guy?  Stop it.

His Buffalo roots are just an added bonus off the field.  His brother playing at UB is an added bonus

for him as is his familiarity with the city and region.  Match that with the bounty of cap space coming

available in 2019 the only question is how far McBeane is willing to go before tapping out.  But Mack

would be perfect for the Bills, especially if they didn't have to give up Hughes in the process.

(Hughes who is WAY UNDERVALUED on this board.)

I hate the thought of the draft capital and all the money we'd throw at him, while JA is getting demolished behind our line.  But all the stars are aligning in this perfect scenario and I would LOVE all he brings to the table.  Then we build him a statue after he retires 

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah even in an average year under the current CBA there isn't nearly enough FA talent to go around anymore.

One of the best ways to cover up holes on your team is having playmakers at key positions.

Mack is a playmaker.

If they don't get him, they don't get him..........but it's a lot easier to run the ball and play field position offensively when your defense can force the action.

From what I've seen this offensieve line features 5 guys who are exponentially better run blockers than they are pass blockers.

It's frustrating having to tolerate a stunted passing game for yet another season but if your OL can't pass block you gotta' adapt.

That is what I've seen.  Our guards (and Mills for that matter) seem to be able to ragdoll guys on running plays, yet get bulldozed themselves in PassPro.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Yup. You don't use high 1st round picks on O-linemen. You spend them on elite pass rushers. I'm still all in on trading for Mack although I highly doubt it will actually happen.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yup. You don't use high 1st round picks on O-linemen. You spend them on elite pass rushers. I'm still all in on trading for Mack although I highly doubt it will actually happen.

Left tackle would be exception  I don't see Beane trading away a ton of assets for Mack