Lacanfora: Bills have reached out to Raiders about Khalil Mack trade

YoloinOhio

In a world where Alec Ogletree and Robert quinn were each traded for 4th and 6th round picks, I would be far more inclined to go that route than this one, and I think Beane would too. They're going to have to do a ton of FA shopping next season to improve O-line, possibly WR, and LB. We also need to Draft replacements for Hughes and Clay before their deals run out next season.

Edited by BullBuchanan

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

This x10000

I can't see Beane parting with the draft capital AND money needed to secure Mack's services for the long haul.

I would love to be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

why do you want to be wrong?

Beane Is 10x the GM Whaley was.  If he thinks its not worth it, he's probably right.

Imagine if we didn't have Allen and Edmunds now because we traded the picks last year for Mack … would that have bee worth it?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Beane Is 10x the GM Whaley was.  If he thinks its not worth it, he's probably right.

Imagine if we didn't have Allen and Edmunds now because we traded the picks last year for Mack … would that have bee worth it?

YE OLE would whole heartedly say no... that would not be worth it. However, because we did get our QB and still have draft capital to swing a trade we now are in a position where it would be beneficial to get a premier pass rusher.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

T$ts autocorrected to breasts.  My thought was that it would be “the ti&s” to keep Hughes and also get Mack ?

I hate to admit, I was hoping for something better than that......

42 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Because the Bills have already (if all goes well) locked down three of the four most important positions in football: QB, LT, CB....the only one missing is a premiere edge rusher. I like Hughes and Murphy just fine, but they're no Khalil Mack. A premiere edge rusher (ESPECIALLY when combined with our elite secondary) can transform a defense.

Also, when you draft a QB in the NFL, you get a five year window to hand out big contracts and build the team around him, before you have to pay said QB a big second contract. See the LA Rams for how this can look. So the Bills, having just drafted Josh Allen and having cleared the decks cap-wise the past two seasons, are suddenly going to be flush with cash and smack dab in the beginning of the "spend a lot and build the team around the QB while he's still cheap" period.

THAT is why I want to be wrong, and I want Beane to take a risk and acquire Mack. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You'd let a limited backup QB prevent the Bills from getting a dominant pass rushing DE ?  I'm not sure how this makes any sense at all. 

Yes, remember last year, Peterman was (I'm fairly certain) the ONLY QB that Belichick took a serious look at pre 2017 draft - that SAYS something and I don't care what anyone says.  Peterman is a starting talent in the NFL and I want him on the Bills for the long term - to back up Josh or to start when needed - whatever - we need to keep him.  He's a very good QB and Buffalo needs to keep him.  I rate the QBs 1. Josh, 2. Peterman, 3. McCarron - and if Peterman ends up starting a few games while Josh develops a bit more, he'll do fine and probably excel.  However, Josh is looking very good.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/11/what-to-make-of-patriots-decision-to-work-out-pitt-qb-nathan-peterman/

Edited by ChasBB
add link

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Because the Bills have already (if all goes well) locked down three of the four most important positions in football: QB, LT, CB....the only one missing is a premiere edge rusher. I like Hughes and Murphy just fine, but they're no Khalil Mack. A premiere edge rusher (ESPECIALLY when combined with our elite secondary) can transform a defense.

Also, when you draft a QB in the NFL, you get a five year window to hand out big contracts and build the team around him, before you have to pay said QB a big second contract. See the LA Rams for how this can look. So the Bills, having just drafted Josh Allen and having cleared the decks cap-wise the past two seasons, are suddenly going to be flush with cash and smack dab in the beginning of the "spend a lot and build the team around the QB while he's still cheap" period.

THAT is why I want to be wrong, and I want Beane to take a risk and acquire Mack. 

OK but if that is true, Beane will make a play and offer fair value for Mack.  If we don't get him, it means either a) he was not worth a play, or b) Oakland would not take a fair value deal.

Dude, just relax and trust the Process :)

I’m sure every team in the league “checked in” on Mack, and most probably made an offer. 

But regardless of the contract Mack is gonna get they are not trading that guy. If for some reason they do they will be getting a monster haul of talent/picks in return. I don’t even think buffalo has enough ammo to swing that kinda trade. Lot of talk of Hughes or peterman and a first round pick.. lol they are never taking that kind of deal. You would need multiple first round picks, or some elite talent heading back to Oakland. Any team trading for Mack has to severaly overpay. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Ok then. Who do you think would be a fit for the trade? 

I just thi k Hughes makes the most sense for the Bills and the raiders. 

Who says they would need to give up any players?  Maybe the Raiders don't want to take back salary.  Maybe they want draft picks.  

But If any player goes, to me it would be Shaq.  He's a DE who can play now, he's still on his rookie deal so won't put a dent in their cap.  He would not be the center of a deal, but he would be a piece that would possibly save giving up a third draft pick.

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

What makes anyone here think Hughes has any value? 

Watching him play the games.

6 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Who says they would need to give up any players?  Maybe the Raiders don't want to take back salary.  Maybe they want draft picks.  

But If any player goes, to me it would be Shaq.  He's a DE who can play now, he's still on his rookie deal so won't put a dent in their cap.  He would not be the center of a deal, but he would be a piece that would possibly save giving up a third draft pick.

Watching him play the games.

Hughes would cost 6.35 million in cap hit for OAK after the Bills eat the signing and option bonus.

That's pretty cheap for a guy of his talent.