How long do you keep leftovers in the frig?

Made this pot roast last week and have some left over.  Hate throwing stuff like that out because it's good food.  So it kind of hangs around forever unless of course it reeks.

Though milk always throw out pretty much on date on carton. 

Until it stinks.....generally fish not more than a a day or 2 at most. Processed foods like hot dogs, maybe 5 days. Things with high acidity like spaghetti sauce a week tops. It really depends on the meal, but usually a week or less is the limit around here.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

1 day..if not eaten for lunch the next day, in the trash or foodsaver and freezer it goes.

BTW, if you really like ti keep leftovers, a vacuum sealer is worth its weight in gold.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My husband would keep something until it stunk and was moldy. I, however, am not a fan of ptomaine. 

Usually, when we make something it has a three-day life in the fridge at which point it is either frozen for leftovers or tossed.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Two weeks or if they start to smell, no waste here. My fridge is real cold with sometimes the food freezing.

if you like to keep food that long..get a vacuum sealer!!! Best $75 you will ever spend!

Next day for Me. If it's not eaten by then, it goes in the trash.

It's probably because of my mom. She's the type that would keep the fridge full of old food. Half of it moldy. It always disgusted me.

She would even go so far as to scrape mold off of pieces of bread, and still eat it. Made me gag every time I saw it.

I'll push the envelope with certain things, but usually just trust my nose.

I absolutely hate to waste food (or anything, really).

If I have enough of any meat left over, I will freeze it and use it for picadillo (meat filling for empanadas).

For the past year, I've been planning meals for the week and my son and I stick to the plans very well.  This results in less leftovers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'll push the envelope with certain things, but usually just trust my nose.

I absolutely hate to waste food (or anything, really).

If I have enough of any meat left over, I will freeze it and use it for picadillo (meat filling for empanadas).

For the past year, I've been planning meals for the week and my son and I stick to the plans very well.  This results in less leftovers.

You mean peccadillo I believe.

Leftovers are lucky if they last past midnight of the day I cooked/ordered them.

I don't consider my meal prep "leftovers" though so for that I guess three days.  I never throw out food, I just eat it in a reasonable amount of time.

I take leftovers to work so they don't last too long. Really depends on what is left over. Some things I will still eat up to 10 days later, other stuff a few days max.

I usually cook large meals on the weekend and that provides me with leftover lunches all week

• Like (+1) 1

Three days in the fridge.

My wife and I cook a big series of meals on Sunday (usually 4 or 5), and put them away for the weeks meals to warm up when we get home from work and to bring to work for lunch.

Anything that's still left over on Wednesday night goes into the garbage for Thursday's trash pickup.  We go out to eat on Thursday night, and prepare small single serving meals on Friday and Saturday unless we go out and dine with friends.

We plan our meals and food purchases out strategically in advance, and wind up throwing away almost nothing as a result.

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Three days in the fridge.

My wife and I cook a big series of meals on Sunday (usually 4 or 5), and put them away for the weeks meals to warm up when we get home from work and to bring to work for lunch.

Anything that's still left over on Wednesday night goes into the garbage for Thursday's trash pickup.  We go out to eat on Thursday night, and prepare small single serving meals on Friday and Saturday unless we go out and dine with friends.

We plan our meals and food purchases out strategically in advance, and wind up throwing away almost nothing as a result.

Usually if I go out to eat there’s enough for the next day. That’s when it gets eaten.

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

if you like to keep food that long..get a vacuum sealer!!! Best $75 you will ever spend!

Nah, I'm good, it all gets eaten.

11 hours ago, Yo no se said:

It's probably because of my mom. She's the type that would keep the fridge full of old food. Half of it moldy. It always disgusted me.

She would even go so far as to scrape mold off of pieces of bread, and still eat it. Made me gag every time I saw it.

That's what made them tougher.

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Organs are generally good for 6-8 days. Meat a day or so sooner.

Brains go in the freezer and any other delicacies are prepared and cooked right away.

stay away from the brains , never know if there is prions in there.

• 3 weeks later...

As a kid in 2nd grade my thermos had a crack and my milk soured before lunch. We discovered this while looking into my daily puking. I do not do milk past the due date. The sniff test can save you with milk and fish. Fish should never smell fishy. 

3-4 days on almost everything, depending on the leftover. I only make a single meals worth of fish. The dog starts getting some small portions of meat over his dry food after the 4 day mark.

I also eat every leftover cold. I think it tastes better than reheated. I mean every leftover, from steak, to soup, to chilli, to restaurant leftovers.....everything.

On May 11, 2018 at 6:23 AM, Yo no se said:

Your mom would have done quite well in the British navy of the 18th century.

:lol: