Buffalo News: GM Beane breaks down trading up twice in first round of NFL Draft

This is a fantastic article:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/inside-the-bills-gm-brandon-beane-breaks-down-how-he-traded-up-twice-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525465869

I see now it's behind a paywall. I was able to read it a few minutes ago and now I can't. If someone can copy and paste it that would be helpful.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/inside-the-bills-gm-brandon-beane-breaks-down-how-he-traded-up-twice-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525465869

I see now it's behind a paywall. I was able to read it a few minutes ago and now I can't. If someone can copy and paste it that would be helpful.

i just pulled it up so it may be a case of it going behind a paywall on a subsequent vist? anyhoo...i won't paste the entire article as that is against the DMCA and the Fair Use Act. however, according to their guidelines, i will post a snippet.

Brandon Beane thought he had prepared for every possible scenario in last week’s NFL Draft.

The Buffalo Bills’ general manager ran through situations where the team made both its first-round draft picks. He mapped out what it would look like to trade away one of those picks. He ran through hypotheticals that saw the Bills trade both second-round picks, keep them both or just keep one.

The one scenario Beane didn’t envision, however, is the one that played out. Seeing Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds slip down the board meant all of Beane’s planning went out the window.

“I can’t lie. I'd love to tell you that I planned that out, and I'm that good, but I didn't,” Beane said. “I thought I had every scenario, but I didn't have that one.”

In a wide-ranging interview with The Buffalo News, Beane methodically detailed the team’s approach to the draft, from working the phones in an effort to trade up to the nervous moments when he thought his quarterback might be getting away from him and then the jubilation in the war room after landing Edwards. ...

... With the No. 4 pick not an option, Beane turned his attention to No. 5. He spoke three times on draft day with Broncos boss John Elway.

“I felt like, what I shared with Terry and Kim, is Denver's our best landing spot,” Beane said.  “We were closing in on what it would cost. I was good with that.”

The Bills would trade No. 12 and No. 22 in the first round to the Broncos, along with one of their second-round picks, and get the No. 5 selection along with one of Denver’s third rounders.

“Literally about 8 o'clock, John calls me and says all right, here's what we'll do,” Beane said. “We finalized the deal, but it's contingent on his guy not being there.”

Beane has a suspicion the guy whom Elway wanted was North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb.

“But I didn't know. You never know,” he said. “Some people had said they really liked a corner, which I assume would have been (Ohio State’s Denzel) Ward if it was that, but it was Chubb.”

The Bills’ entire draft changed when the Browns selected Ward with the No. 4 pick. At first, Beane thought that was a bad thing.

“I was really nervous when Cleveland got on the clock. You've got your channels where you're getting information outside of the draft room. Somebody told me, it's down to Ward or Chubb,” he said. “Earlier in the day, people felt like they were probably going to go Chubb. That was my first four. I did say it was going to be Chubb, and we'll go to Denver. I was wrong.

“Not until they were on the clock did I get the text from somebody that said, 'Hey, Ward may go here.' I said (expletive).”

With Chubb still on the board, the trade with Denver fell through ....

... “I had just talked to John Lynch with San Francisco, he said, ‘We've got a guy, Brandon. I don't know, it would have to be pretty good to talk us out of that, unless he's gone,’ ” Beane said. “So I'm like, 'Let me see what this pick is. I was going to call him back as soon as Tampa put their pick in.' ”

Instead, the Bills’ phone rang 30 seconds after the Bucs went on the clock. Tampa General Manager Jason Licht was on the line.

“He said, ‘I'll do it for the twos, but we've got to do it right now,’ ” Beane said. “I said alright, I need another pick, though. I need a player. I don't care what it is, just give me your last pick, whatever it is. He said, ‘Alright, done.’ ”

The last pick ended up being No. 255, one away from the last pick in the entire draft. ...

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Ok maybe everyone can read it when you click it for the first time. It is worth the read. We must have had Edmunds ranked very high the way Beane talked about him. We had a deal in place with Denver to get Allen, would have cost us both 1sts and a 2nd but we would have gotten a 3rd back. When Chubb fell Denver called off the trade and Beane was worried no one else before Miami would want to make the trade. Tampa came through at the last minute.

Its a good article. 

Couple of notes: Beane had a deal with Elway @ 5 unless Chubb is on the board, Beane didn't have the QB board finalized until after a late workout with Darnold, Beane would only traded to two pre-draft night. There is a bunch more.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Ok maybe everyone can read it when you click it for the first time. It is worth the read. We must have had Edmunds ranked very high the way Beane talked about him. We had a deal in place with Denver to get Allen, would have cost us both 1sts and a 2nd but we would have gotten a 3rd back. When Chubb fell Denver called off the trade and Beane was worried no one else before Miami would want to make the trade. Tampa came through at the last minute.

Pretty much the same thing from the Bills' website.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

i just pulled it jup so it may be a case of it going behind a paywall on a subsequent vist? anyhoo...i won't paste the entire article as that is against the DMCA and the Fair Use Act. however, according to their guidelines, i will post a snippet.

think we may FINALLY Have a GM winner in charge?......has to be demoralizing for the TBD pundits' "fire McBeane, McD and McDaboll" gang now.....sure it is early on, but this FO, Admin & coaching staff sure as hell IMO is shaping up to be "Polian like"......a tad (COUGH) better than the post Polian gang of unqualified misfits plugged into positions NOT qualified for as well as the "over the hill" gang lauded because they were "re-tired"....hell, I'd bet McBeane already has detailed sketches drawn up as to his moves, probable Bflo draft slots, possible draftees, UFA's/RFA's for 2019 with $85+ mil in the cookie jar......

Thanks - enjoyed the read.

Some comments from Beane I had heard before, but he has now spelled out the terms for the trade with Denver..

12,, 22 and one of their second rounders for 5 and one of Denver’s third rounders...

Thank the Lord that Cleveland picked Ward..

• Like (+1) 4

Man, I REALLY want to read this but can't get past the pay wall.

I'm not asking for anyone to violate any laws, but if anyone can think of a way for me to read the whole article (short of subscribing), I'd sure appreciate it.

I have to give McBene a lot of credit prior to the draft day ( it was going to be #2 or nothing) and  especially when Denver deal fell through , he stayed cool got his QB and kept the 22nd pick which got us hopefully another QB on defense for the next decade or so !!!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

think we may FINALLY Have a GM winner in charge?......has to be demoralizing for the TBD pundits' "fire McBeane, McD and McDaboll" gang now.....sure it is early on, but this FO, Admin & coaching staff sure as hell IMO is shaping up to be "Polian like"......a tad (COUGH) better than the post Polian gang of unqualified misfits plugged into positions NOT qualified for as well as the "over the hill" gang lauded because they were "re-tired"....hell, I'd bet McBeane already has detailed sketches drawn up as to his moves, probable Bflo draft slots, possible draftees, UFA's/RFA's for 2019 with $85+ mil in the cookie jar......

This staff didn’t tolerate Russ Brandons crap either and kept him away from the football side. They have a vision and will sink/swim by it- my guess is they will swim and we’re all going to be happy campers in a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

That's great stuff.  Plenty of details. 

One thing that's changed under McBeane is that they aren't afraid to tell you stuff.  They are confident about what they can and can't say, and they share information. That's great for the fans.  

One question.  Beane says he knew very very little about the qbs on the day the Jets traded up.  Beand saod, essentially, that he was in no position to make a move like that at that time.  Well, the Jets traded a boat load to get to three, so they to know there were three qbs they would take.  How could they be so sure about threw when Beane didn't know anything?  Were the Jets just stupid and got lucky?

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

Man, I REALLY want to read this but can't get past the pay wall.

I'm not asking for anyone to violate any laws, but if anyone can think of a way for me to read the whole article (short of subscribing), I'd sure appreciate it.

Keep trying.  I got in around the 3rd or 4th try.  Not sure how, but I did.  Excellent article.  Makes me consider signing up for the Buffalo News.  $3 a month seems cheap.

Edited by PIZ

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

What’s interesting is that the Bills would not have given up much more (if any) to move up to 5.  And that TB, not Buffalo, was the one who initiated the deal at 7, although I’m sure they had spoken.  Good stuff.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

What’s interesting is that the Bills would not have given up much more (if any) to move up to 5.  And that TB, not Buffalo, was the one who initiated the deal at 7, although I’m sure they had spoken.  Good stuff.

Umm - pick 22 would have been required to go to 5...

No new Linebacker if that happens ...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

One thing that's changed under McBeane is that they aren't afraid to tell you stuff.  They are confident about what they can and can't say, and they share information. That's great for the fans.  

One question.  Beane says he knew very very little about the qbs on the day the Jets traded up.  Beand saod, essentially, that he was in no position to make a move like that at that time.  Well, the Jets traded a boat load to get to three, so they to know there were three qbs they would take.  How could they be so sure about threw when Beane didn't know anything?  Were the Jets just stupid and got lucky?

Maybe both? 

One thing that always surprises me is hearing “experts” who have been there before say late in the process that teams were just finishing up evaluations and putting a board together. Did the Jets do it sooner? Is that something to learn from?

They got lucky I think that Darnold fell to them (thanks, Cleveland!), but they had to know they’d get someone they were happy with there. Who were the others they coveted and in what order?  No idea but it’d LOVE to be a fly on the wall to see this in action. 

7 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Keep trying.  I got in around the 3rd or 4th try.  Not sure how, but I did.  Excellent article.  Makes me consider signing up for the Buffalo News.  $3 a month seems cheap.

It is cheap and there are some good articles

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Umm - pick 22 would have been required to go to 5...

No new Linebacker if that happens ...

I understand that, but we would have traded only one second and got back one of the Broncos’ thirds.  

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Personally -- and this is only my opinion -- I feel that once the Jets lost out on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, they said "we're drafting a top QB come hell or high water" and made the move without knowing who'd be there and who, specifically, they would end up with. The McCagnan/Bowles duo are all-in on this because it's their last chance at sticking around in New Jersey. If they get this one wrong, they're out.

As for the Bills, I keep hearing the same word applied to McDermott and Beane: Methodical. Pegula said it's almost CRAZY how methodical Beane is. With that being the case, I do NOT feel that he wanted to blindly trade up before he was certain he had done his homework. He did NOT want to tie his first big draft -- and the one that may decide whether he sinks or swims as a GM, ultimately -- to a player he wasn't totally sure about. 

Different approaches by GMs with different styles and in different phases of their careers.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretty much the same thing from the Bills' website.

I'd guess that Beane had Brown and the News in together. Gave them a dual exclusive interview.  

Among other things McBeane are doing is working to repair relations with the News.  They call reporters by first names in the press conferences.  They say stuff like "that's a good question."

These guys know what they're doing.  

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It is cheap and there are some good articles

Yeah, it's just...I live in Portland, Oregon, so having a Buffalo newspaper subscription doesn't make a ton of sense for me. Even in terms of "home town coverage", I'm from Rochester, so....I dunno. I can't seem to justify it in my mind.

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I understand that, but we would have traded only one second and got back one of the Broncos’ thirds.  

I see the difference as considerable between the proposed deal for 5 and the actual deal for 7... guess we will agree to disagree 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Personally -- and this is only my opinion -- I feel that once the Jets lost out on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, they said "we're drafting a top QB come hell or high water" and made the move without knowing who'd be there who, specifically, they would end up with. The McCagnan/Bowles duo are all-in on this because it's their last chance at sticking around in New Jersey. If they get this one wrong, they're out.

As for the Bills, I keep hearing the same word applied to McDermott and Beane: Methodical. Pegula said it's almost CRAZY how methodical Beane is. With that being the case, I do NOT feel that he wanted to blindly trade up before he was certain he had done his homework. He did NOT want to tie his first big draft -- and the one that may decide whether he sinks or swims as a GM, ultimately -- to a player he wasn't totally sure about. 

Different approaches by GMs with different styles and in different phases of their careers.

I think you're right about the Jets.  They couldnt get one or two, they certainly could afford to let the Bills get three.  I think they swallowed hard and leapt.  

Beane's patience got him Edmunds.  

Lovin it. 

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, it's just...I live in Portland, Oregon, so having a Buffalo newspaper subscription doesn't make a ton of sense for me. Even in terms of "home town coverage", I'm from Rochester, so....I dunno. I can't seem to justify it in my mind.

I know what you mean. I live in Raleigh, NC, now and I can find pretty much everything I want to read on the internet. For me, it is cheap enough that I don't mind keeping the subscription. Every now and then there are articles I want to read.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'll take Tremaine over any two players in the second round.  He has such high potential.

I’m not saying I’m unhappy with what we got, but if the Bills do that trade with Denver, they end up with two more premium picks in the draft: pick 65 and Denver’s third, while effectively swapping 22 for 56.  

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not saying I’m unhappy with what we got, but if the Bills do that trade with Denver, they end up with two more premium picks in the draft: pick 65 and Denver’s third, while effectively swapping 22 for 56.  

Pick 65 wasn’t part of the trade in either scenario...

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Pick 65 wasn’t part of the trade in either scenario...

Didn’t they trade 65 to move up for Edmunds?  That trade doesn’t happen if they take the Denver deal.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Great read!! Thanks for sharing that.

I can't read the article.    Maybe someone can answer a question:

Did Beane make it clear that he would have taken Josh Allen at #5 had the deal with Denver happened?

Who was the target at #5 if Denver is willing to deal with us?

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

He is ahead of the game, meaning Beane. Let me say this .....for a rookie, Beane did well.THE most promising of which, is being able to gamble. That's right, that's what he did. To not see that unfolding the way it did- after countless hours of draft simulation, and yet to still be on his toes for the pot, tells me all I need to know about Brandon Beane. He's gonna be a good one 

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I can't read the article.    Maybe someone can answer a question:

Did Beane make it clear that he would have taken Josh Allen at #5 had the deal with Denver happened?

Who was the target at #5 if Denver is willing to deal with us?

Idk....but the only QB taken picks 5-10 was Allen, then Rosen. Do the math...

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

No. It was reported that the Jets owner had instructed his staff to be over the top, extremely thorough in evaluating this years QB class, or else. They poured a ton of resources into it. So they were extra prepared because their owner opened his checkbook and told them to be ready

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I only subscribed to be able to read Pete Rosen's stuff. (Pete is known as "the obnoxious Rosen" to distinguish him from the much more pleasant Josh) 

In my opinion aside from Pete's work, this is the only article that rises to pay status. This article by Skurski is very well done in every way and shows lot sof work.

Most all else you get is just the same Sully or Bucky half day of typing about some trivial rant or insult or opinion.

So you aren't missing anything.  But if they start to produce more work of this quality it would be well worth subscribing.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Thanks - enjoyed the read.

Some comments from Beane I had heard before, but he has now spelled out the terms for the trade with Denver..

12,, 22 and one of their second rounders for 5 and one of Denver’s third rounders...

Thank the Lord that Cleveland picked Ward..

Yeah, that choice of theirs gave us a shot at another high-potential 1st round pick

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that choice of theirs gave us a shot at another high-potential 1st round pick

If Edmunds turns out to be special , then this could turn out to be a real sliding doors moment..