Matt Ryan Signs 5-Year Contract Extension at $30M per Season with $100M Guaranteed

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Wonder if he agrees to something lighter to help the cap. 

I HIGHLY doubt that. Aaron's ego will not let him. 

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

when will NE pay Brady the going rate ?

Never. Kraft just invests in his businesses. Easy way to skirt cap and keep hits down but still get him his money

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You would think the NFLPA would try to alter this trend.  It's great for the QBs, but soon, the pay disbursal of an NFL team is going to be all the money to 3-5 guys, and everyone else in the league making nothing.

They predicted that as the end outcome of the cap back when it was instituted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Next up comes Aaron Rodgers to slightly step above that. 

His broken body should sell for less.  Guy always gets hurt. I would have massive injury incentives in that deal.

100 mil guaranteed. That’s impressive. I pay more attention to the guaranteed money than the total money and length.  

We are only a few years away from the crippling deals that baseball hands out 

Here is the reason you milk those cheap rookie contracts as long as possible 

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

100 mil guaranteed. That’s impressive. I pay more attention to the guaranteed money than the total money and length.  

We are only a few years away from the crippling deals that baseball hands out 

Not with a hard cap. Still have to field a roster of 53. 

Cap keeps going up and people keep forgetting that. If it goes up all contracts go up. A left tackle just got over 15 mil per on a deal. He got 20 mil per last deal and it was probably the same percentage of the cap 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Cap keeps going up and people keep forgetting that. If it goes up all contracts go up. A left tackle just got over 15 mil per on a deal. He got 20 mil per last deal and it was probably the same percentage of the cap 

Pretty close.  Last contract was 15.65% of the 2013 cap and this one is 16.93% of the 2018 cap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Pretty close.  Last contract was 15.65% of the 2013 cap and this one is 16.93% of the 2018 cap.

Eventually the back end of the 53 will be Walk-ons!  :)

Side note: Reminds me of Grisham’s Playing for Pizza, funny book.

42 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is the reason you milk those cheap rookie contracts as long as possible 

Not with a hard cap. Still have to field a roster of 53. 

Yep. Go back and look at the 2008 draft— bunch of guys who are now OOF, with Matt  Ryan and Joe Flacco, still going strong 10 years later.  

Edited by mannc

14 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Best way to look at it. So after 5 years of work he got a 1.28% raise. Compared to his past contract against the team player budget. 

Edited by MAJBobby

54 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You would think the NFLPA would try to alter this trend.  It's great for the QBs, but soon, the pay disbursal of an NFL team is going to be all the money to 3-5 guys, and everyone else in the league making nothing.

They predicted that as the end outcome of the cap back when it was instituted. 

To be completely fair, at this point, they should just get rid of the cap. Every team in the league is oozing money, and popular players leaving franchises for FA is not exactly great for long term jersey sales.

14 minutes ago, billspro said:

These contracts are crazy. I think the best plan is to try and win a super bowl with a QB on a rookie deal. 

Bills have a five year super bowl window starting now. 

It was a 1.28% raise. Big deal. Look at the Cap. It keeps going up so dont contracts. 

When it will get iffy is if the cap stops growing 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

To be completely fair, at this point, they should just get rid of the cap. Every team in the league is oozing money, and popular players leaving franchises for FA is not exactly great for long term jersey sales.

I try not to be negative, but they have a good thing going. Why ruin it? Seriously, why would owners give that away? That would be sheer insanity. The players play, the owners own. They all make plenty  of money right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It was a 1.28% raise. Big deal. Look at the Cap. It keeps going up so dont contracts. 

When it will get iffy is if the cap stops growing 

Show me a super bowl champ with a big contract QB

I think the bigger deal is the guaranteed money.  If anything is potentially becoming a trend, that could be it.

Premier players have been paid big contracts for years now...they make a lot more now but the increases are proportional.  But compare Ryan and Cousins to McNabb's contract from the Redskins.  It looked huge but was worthless in the long run. 

I think more guaranteed money will become a BIG deal going forward and could potentially result in another work stoppage.  I for one am fine if that's the case (guaranteed money...not the work stoppage).  Football players have their bodies wrecked more than other sports with less to show for it.