RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I hate trading up and you could argue the Bills overpaid, but reports are that the Cards tried to trade up to take Allen at 7.  If that’s true, then the Bills would not have gotten him at 12.  It’s possible that Rosen would have been available at 12, but the Bills might not have liked him; apparently he was off some teams’ boards entirely.  If Allen turns into a great QB, no one will care, and if he sucks, mcBeane will be looking for work.

Very true, good post.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

After listening to Rosen talk, seeing his interview, I am not as pissed anymore. The guy has taken his little, knockoff Aaron Rodgers persona a bit to the extreme. He comes off like an arrogant little prick. 

I have come to accept that the Bills brass collectively is all in on Josh Allen. I hope it works out, but I don't see it. In a previous thread I said his ceiling was Ben Ro, but his floor was Derek Anderson. I hope he reaches that ceiling. Lucy is also gonna have some splainin to do when he meets Shady, Hyde, Poyer, Benjamin, and the rest of those guys. Hopefully they didn't just kill "the process" with the drafting of one QB. 

Shady is friends with Incog I don’t these guys are going to take his tweeter stupidity as an insult. I’m sure each one of those guys did stupid things at that age.

I agree without Rosen, he was the most refined passer but something seems off with him. His agent had him say the same 4 or 5 talking points all week. “I just wanna get on the field”, “lots of Super Bowls”, and a few other one liners.

Arizona ended up with Rosen but it’s been mentioned several places they were attempting to trade into 7 for Allen. That’s another team that preferred Allen. 

Hoping for the best with Allen. Let’s go Bills.

I'll go back to my response in the "What if Beane trades up for Allen with Rosen still there?" thread:

I'll trust the professional as long as we get the trade-up done, and get our pick of the litter. That's really the crucial element for Thursday.

No matter who we end up with, we will all be watching the other prospects through their careers and making the comparisons of who we could have had.

I stand by that. I personally wanted Rosen, but what do I know. Maybe the health concerns were too much.

We moved up and Rosen was still an option and we picked "our guy" so I'll back it. For now.

The biggest highlight last night for me was AZ jumping up to #10 and stealing Rosen from Miami!

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

I hate trading up and you could argue the Bills overpaid, but reports are that the Cards tried to trade up to take Allen at 7.  If that’s true, then the Bills would not have gotten him at 12.  It’s possible that Rosen would have been available at 12, but the Bills might not have liked him; apparently he was off some teams’ boards entirely.  If Allen turns into a great QB, no one will care, and if he sucks, mcBeane will be looking for work.

Yep. Allen goes to AZ at 7 or 10, Rosen goes to Miami at 11, and we're stuck holding our dicks. Again. The trade up was the right move regardless of who we picked.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

this pick smells of Daboll's influence.  He better be this "great" teacher i've read about.  successful nfl qbs have 2 things in common,  accuracy and field awareness.    nothing in Allens game film sells me on those 2 aspects of QB play.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

According to Mortensen, Pegula was "enamored" with Allen.

I hate this team.

its happening again the  angry's are gathering their pitchforks 

time to log from this site until football season

im shocked at the venom the wgr morning guys are spitting

time to head back to wfan

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Shady is friends with Incog I don’t these guys are going to take his tweeter stupidity as an insult. I’m sure each one of those guys did stupid things at that age.

I agree without Rosen, he was the most refined passer but something seems off with him. His agent had him say the same 4 or 5 talking points all week. “I just wanna get on the field”, “lots of Super Bowls”, and a few other one liners.

Arizona ended up with Rosen but it’s been mentioned several places they were attempting to trade into 7 for Allen. That’s another team that preferred Allen. 

Hoping for the best with Allen. Let’s go Bills.

So him being 14/15 is ok for him to be a racist in his tweets.  F that.  The interview by Beane and McD sickened me about it.  I'm not going to even get into this too much but that **** better never surface as a leader of "the process."  Not only do we have to hope that he gets the football stuff corrected, but we have to have that in the back of our mind.  Great!!  I'm trying to be balanced and allow him room to be and do whatever he's going to do, but there is a part of me that just feels straight up terrible about the pick.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

So him being 14/15 is ok for him to be a racist in his tweets.  F that.  The interview by Beane and McD sickened me about it.  I'm not going to even get into this too much but that **** better never surface as a leader of "the process."  Not only do we have to hope that he gets the football stuff corrected, but we have to have that in the back of our mind.  Great!!  I'm trying to be balanced and allow him room to be and do whatever he's going to do, but there is a part of me that just feels straight up terrible about the pick.

wow...it begins

1 minute ago, Albwan said:

wow...it begins

Nothing begins.  I'm not going forward talking about it.  Secondly, I didn't make any predictions about him so i have no idea what you're talking about. Just expressing the way I feel about the pick.

Edited by NewEraBills

I really wanted Mayfield, but I trust McBeane. Some of the reactions here are disappointing.

Anyway...when I heard "Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming", i got a flashback to one of my all time favourite Al Bundy quotes:

A fat lady klip klops into the shoe store today and says 'I'm looking for something that I would feel comfortable in'.

I said 'Try Wyoming'!!

Just now, KellyToTasker said:

Nice.  Retire as the champ. 1-0! (Make a point and walk away).  

Are we here to talk about racism or talk about how we feel about our picks?  I'm done talking about the former, not the latter.  If that wasn't clear, that's what I meant.

9 hours ago, Figster said:

If you subtract all the bubble screens and dump offs from the other top QB's you might find similar numbers/ completion ratio as Josh Allen.

The other top prospects also had a better supporting cast.

You get that right?

The problem is that if you watch the tape Josh Allen struggles to complete wide receiver screens. 

Also, he played in the Mountain West. He was going up against garbage defenses week in and week out. His supporting cast was just as good as the defenders he faced. 

Edited by jrober38

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

According to Mortensen, Pegula was "enamored" with Allen.

I hate this team.

I for one am shocked to hear that the Bills higher-ups like the player that the Bills traded up for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, #34fan said:

Yup... I do... Beane-dip saw a big kid with a big arm, and said "That's my guy"....  Only the Bills would first-round a wildly inaccurate QB from a junk conference he couldn't even dominate!

I don't believe anyone was eyeing Allen... He was good at #12

He got them to the conference championship in 2016 and missed it by one game in 2017.

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'll be looking forward to the camp competition between Allen and McCarron. Should be a good one.

Hard to imagine him being anything more than the 3rd string QB this year. 

He needs to sit on the bench for a couple years. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He needs to be the #2, there just isn't enough reps for him to be the #3 and develop.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

He needs to be the #2, there just isn't enough reps for him to be the #3 and develop.

The #2 guy doesn't get any reps either.

As 3rd string he'd probably get to run the scout team which would be good for him. 

Just now, Bandito said:

Allen is a solid fit in Buffalo and the community. Mayfield would have been too. Rosen is a punk and is a cancer in the locker room.

When it looked like the Bills were getting Rosen... while I admit I wanted him, I was picturing him with this community and fan base.  I dont think his personality would mix here and it would get ugly.  I think Arizona was the perfect landing spot for him

Well, not gonna lie, he wasn't the Josh I wanted when I saw they traded up but it is what it is. We'll see how it works out, and I'll support the guy as I would any other QB of our Buffalo Bills.

The fact that we didn't give up the farm to move up to get him at least helped me sleep last night. That, and all the scotch.

I won’t create a thread for this but here is my thought on Allen.  I was livid when we took him ahead of Rosen (who I wanted regardless of where we picked).  I’ve had a chance to calm down some, and I still don’t like it.  Sure, he has potential, and he will make throws that wow us all.  For that, there will be exciting times.  Heck, in the grand scheme of things, football is just entertainment anyways.  And Allen will almost certainly be entertaining.

However, since I watch football for more than entertainment reasons, I have an unhealthy desire to see Buffalo win.  Maybe Allen is the one to do that.  But the flaws are there.  And this is what I don’t understand about this pick, and our entire offseason.

When the trade happened, I was so convinced it would be Rosen for one reason and one reason only.  We got rid of Taylor because we (Beane) felt he couldn’t make all of the throws needed to be made.  He lacked anticipation.  He missed receivers.  They had to be wide open for him to pull the trigger.  Isn’t Rosen the opposite of that?  He has great anticipation and accuracy.  Flawless throwing mechanics.  Perhaps pro ready.  To me, I was stunned that they were willing to get rid of a known commodity in Taylor because of limitations, just to take an unknown commodity with limitations.  

Allen has was more potential than Taylor, and that will be the major argument here.  But I just felt Rosen was more of who they desired, someone who anticipated receivers, could work the middle of the field, and move the chains.  Essentially, safe football (like NE).  To me, Allen is the opposite and I’m shocked they got rid of the safe guy for a guy who may end up worse.   

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The #2 guy doesn't get any reps either.

As 3rd string he'd probably get to run the scout team which would be good for him. 

He'd get more reps as the #2 through camp/preseason. Which is what he needs. I just can't stand the #7 overall pick as the 3rd QB.

Anyone who thinks we could have sat at 12 and gotten our QB is kidding themselves. The trade up was preordained it was just a matter of how much and for who. I love that they had a choice of 2 guys and we know for sure who they preferred as opposed to taking the last guy left. 

The tweets are a non issue but will be made one by the media. He's handled it well so far and sounds very mature. Every single one of us said stupid crap when we were 15. thank God we didn't have social media to record it. 

One of the top QBs, top LBs and not giving up any of next year's draft picks is a great start.

RTB

24 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Peterman was a 5th round shot-in-the-dark and started a game last year.

Allen is definitely #2 right now, and will be battling for the #1 spot. Sitting the bench for a couple years isnt happening. Kid is playing this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Peterman was a 5th round shot-in-the-dark and started a game last year.

Allen is definitely #2 right now, and will be battling for the #1 spot. Sitting the bench for a couple years isnt happening. Kid is playing this year.

I hope not.

He's not ready. Not even close. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Rosen is a silver spoon fed punk that would have been a cancer in our locker room. He has past riddled with injuries too. I was hoping for Mayfield. I am glad the Bills got 1 of the two they wanted (I believe if Mayfield was there at 4, they would have snatched him up)

Josh Allen has broken his collarbone twice, has five screws in it and missed games due to a shoulder injury.

Feel for Josh Allen tbh because he's in one of the worst positions to be in. We don't have any stellar offensive minds here in Buffalo, OL is a mess, worst skill positions in the league and no decent veteran presence ahead of him. He's a year away from being a year away but he's probably going to play this year and I just don't see how that helps him.

Also Daboll's system requires a QB who can make quick decisions and Josh Allen has slow eyes/processing.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I don't think we'll be good this year. But I think they're setting up for a solid future.  

Agreed. Regardless of which QB we got, I always wanted to hold onto next year's 1st because I think we're going 6-10 at best this year. That has nothing to do with Allen or Rosen or any other QB though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How many workouts did you attend? How did you get Allen to come to your house for you to scout?

These responses from super fans are getting tiring. We just spent a year watching all of his games. No one is actively rooting for this kid to fail especially now he's a Bill.

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

These responses from super fans are getting tiring. We just spent a year watching all of his games. No one is actively rooting for this kid to fail especially now he's a Bill.

I'm not a super fan, I've already said he wasnt my pick either. But you arent a pro talent evaluator, and neither am I. Nor do we have access to the info the pros have.

If all you're basing these absolute-as-fact statements on is watching some games, I take your analysis with a huge grain of salt. You're welcome to your opinion, but remember it's nothing more than that.