RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

1. Being smart means absolutely nothing when it comes to reading a defense or knowing where to go with the ball. His game film shows a guy who struggles enormously when pressured, and who often fails to move past his first progression. 

2. His bad supporting cast played bad defenses. He had the lowest drop rate of all the QBs in the draft. 

Guys like Josh Allen never succeed in the modern NFL. Just ask Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, Kyle Boller, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Freeman or Akili Smith. 

We just drafted a less accurate version of Blake Bortles. 

Other than not succeeding what does that list have in common?

Why can't you guys complaining just let this play out? So annoying coming on here with the guys who think they are NFL worthy scouts and GMs. Did you do even a fraction of the work that Beane and McDermott did? No, so just sit and wait to see how he turns out. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I know your type, I hate the know it all nerd types. You cannot predict the future and you're not as smart as you think. Also, if you think it's OK to call a player a bust before he even played 1 game, morally you are a sleezeball.

Talk to me in 3 years. 

As many can vouch for from the BBMB, I know a bust when I see one.

I'm really hard on QB prospects. When there's a guy I really dislike as a prospect, they wind up as colossal busts (Jimmy Clausen, Matt Barkley, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Hackenberg, Paxton Lynch were all guys I railed against over the past 5-6 years). 

Inaccurate college QBs who play garbage competition like Allen faced in the Mountain West don't go on to make successful NFL QBs. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Guess what? He has more here than he did in college which is a reflection of how poor his team was. How many players do you think will get drafted from Wyoming? Maybe you should go take a nap and sleep off the alcohol you had tonight.

You realize he's not going to be playing against mountain West talent with the Bills next year right? The Bills by NFL standards are weak at skill positions.

But when you can't defend your position just call someone drunk, you sound like an idiot. You lack basic logic.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Other than not succeeding what does that list have in common?

They all got drafted high because they can throw the ball really far while lacking accuracy. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, LABills1979 said:

Why can't you guys complaining just let this play out? So annoying coming on here with the guys who think they are NFL worthy scouts and GMs. Did you do even a fraction of the work that Beane and McDermott did? No, so just sit and wait to see how he turns out. 

Isn’t this a message board and not Nazi Germany? You can still love the Bills, not like the pick, and hope Allen proves you wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Dark said:

Whoa.  "Morally a sleezeball"  for calling a football player a bust?  

If you don't even give somebody an honest chance, I think that's a dirtball stance to take. Then to preach about analytics and pretend to predict the future and know what's going to happen, yeah people like that can kindly !@#$ off.

Just now, LEBills said:

It’s a joke account, Rosen didn’t say that

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

You realize that's a parody account or are you so simple you think that's reputable?

No, I didn't. I knew that wasn't a real sports center account but I had seen someone else post that Rosen quote in this thread, so I searched for it to see if he actually said that and seen that quote come up in a couple different spots. So I thought he did say it. 

No reason to be a jerk about it Ol Dirty. 

I dont have a twitter account and don't really use twitter. 

So im not up on all this twitter stuff. My bad. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Just now, jrober38 said:

Talk to me in 3 years. 

I'm really hard on QB prospects. When there's a guy I really dislike as a prospect, they wind up as colossal busts (Jimmy Clausen, Matt Barkley, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Hackenberg, Paxton Lynch were all guys I railed against over the past 5-6 years). 

Inaccurate college QBs who play garbage competition like Allen faced in the Mountain West don't go on to make successful NFL QBs. 

That guy you're quoting is an idiot, it's not even worth it. He hates stats, he hates numbers, basically anything that supports a point he disagrees with he hates. He's simple. 

Yet all he can do to support his point is say the Bills have better weapons than Wyoming. I'm not sure whether this guy watches games, or is trolling.

12 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Hey when to talk to Tyrod tell him thanks for the third rounder that helped the Bills get Edmunds. 

Tell you what ... the Bills could have turned that draft pick into Martavius Bryant, kept the 22nd pick in the draft, and walked away with a future multiple Pro Bowl OL in Isaiah Wynn. 

Instead, Wynn is going to obliterate Bills players the way Logan Mankins did for years. Best offensive linemen in the draft, to the Patriots. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Talk to me in 3 years. 

Means that you are due to be wrong on one of these prospects. Lol

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

yeah, F this kid! I guess we see why the Bills didn't draft him... 

I've watched some Rosen interviews since he was drafted and he is, IMO, totally coming off like a petty little spoiled brat. 

I wasn't worried about his personality issues, but I may have been wrong on that. 

This kid is going to be a controversial quote machine... lol 

Are you being sarcastic? I'm lost, why did you give me the reaction to my post that you did? If you're being sarcastic here my bad, but I wasn't the only one it was lost on

I get the draft value chart.  Fear was vast overpayment.  Didn't have to give up our draft.  Edmunds too!  Didn't give up next year.  Got a 6'5" QB with a cannon who can run.  I think the accuracy will be fine - based on 2nd half of senior bowl.  Showed touch.  Wishing Rosen the best, but really did NOT want him. Yippee!

3 minutes ago, The Virginian said:

You won't find anyone that works harder.  You're getting a great player who's totally dedicated to playing football. 

How many top picks don’t work hard to be drafted?  

Edited by C.Biscuit97

56 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

See I think Beane gets way too much benefit of the doubt because we lucked into the playoffs.  Besides our secondary and o line, our talent level sucked last year.  

And getting better in the offseason? Come on man, who cares about what he does in shorts? All I heard was excuses why Allen isn’t better.  The Bills aren’t a franchise that is known for developing qb.  Rosen is a guy who didn’t need much development.  Allen is another guy in the mold of JP and EJ.  I defended those guys even though we a ton of similar questions about them.  And they got proven right.

the thing that sucks is I was so pumped for this night & it was happy perfect.  So it’s hard to try to find the positives.  I only hope that if Allen becomes a star, we can bump this thread and laugh at it. 

No disrespect Biscuit, but the "Bills aren't a franchise that is known for developing QB's" is just utter nonsense.  This regime has been here one season.  What happened in the history of the franchise has literally zero factual impact on today.  We have no idea how good or bad this regime will be at developing a QB, but we do know the past failures of older regimes do not in any way factor into this one.  

And sorry, but I could not disagree more about your "who cares" about how Allen had the best offseason by far.  The truth is, the ONLY QB who had a great season was Baker.  Rosen had a terrible record with 2 concussions, and Darnold disappointed and was a mistake and turnover machine.  All of them have risks and faults...and when teams need to call around to find out how to manage your personality, engage you, and manage you mentally (Rosen) then thats a red flag on its own.  

So lets not over exaggerate the other prospects as if they were slam dunks, none of them were.  And with a young QB in the offseason, seeing a guy come out and wow you over the others, show improvement in the areas listed in the areas they need to improve, etc is very relevant.  

Totally respect you as a poster, so mean no disrespect to you in this response.  But...if you are going to ask me whose opinion I trust...a bunch of arm chair GM's who haven't done even a fraction of real due diligence on these QB's...or the entire regime of the Bills who spent thousands of man hours researching, watching, interviewing, etc of these kids...I will lean towards the professionals opinion.  

And thus far, Beane has done a LOT to earn my trust.  Your comment about "backing into the playoffs" is irrelevant to the job Beane has done.  He has leveraged all kinds of value for this franchise, made incredible moves, found great value last year in guys like Micah and Power, etc.  So far, he's done everything to earn our trust IMO.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

It has to be expected availability . The 2 concussions must have spooked McBeane. 

The 2 concussions in 3 games Mayfield had didn’t spook the Browns

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

YESSSSSS!!!!

To all those that are disappointed. You will be very pleasantly surprised. He will burst into the scene like Cam Newton did when he came out of the gate and surprised everyone with how well he could throw.

His accuracy is going to be improved with the work he has done on his footwork and mechanics. 

Besides that, he is a great kid and a great leader. He was Wyoming this year and had to shoulder more responsibility than any other QB this year. 

I know many many of you are disappointed, but I am so excited. I’m normally a guy that would write off a QB with Allen’s stats. But he is different. The stats don’t match the ability. Now I hope we can all embrace him as he leads us into the future!

GO BILLS!!!

I hope you’re right

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

1. Being smart means absolutely nothing when it comes to reading a defense or knowing where to go with the ball. His game film shows a guy who struggles enormously when pressured, and who often fails to move past his first progression. 

2. His bad supporting cast played bad defenses. He had the lowest drop rate of all the QBs in the draft. 

Guys like Josh Allen never succeed in the modern NFL. Just ask Jake Locker, EJ Manuel, Kyle Boller, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Freeman or Akili Smith. 

We just drafted a less accurate version of Blake Bortles. 

Clearly, management is clueless when it comes to offense. Rosen might not be great, that is true, Allen might not even start, that is also true.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billspro said:

Allen and Mahommes are the same type of prospect. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. 

yes. Like Babe Ruth and Mike Hampton were both pitchers that could hit a little bit. Same type of pitcher. 

Except that Pat Mahomes got better every year in college and finished his career throwing for 5000 yards and 41 TD against 10 INTs while completing nearly 66% of his passes, after completing 64% as a SOPHOMORE. Oh yeah, and there's this little thing about Pat's bloodlines.

Please, stop. I'm trying to like Josh Allen. Don't compare him to Pat Mahomes and get our hopes up. Let him be Josh Allen.