Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I wish. No I wasn't. I am British and the game over here is still very much a minority participation sport. We had a team at University and I did play a bit of Quarterback and a bit of safety but it looked nothing like what you guys would recognise. It would probably be about 7th grade standard. 

And while I am not a football coach I was a reasonably successful semi pro soccer coach over here and so have some natural coach in me and that is why the more I learnt about football the more fascinated I was with the detail.

Thanks for the response. We thoroughly enjoyed England  when we visited three years ago, the year the Bills were there.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting!  Thanks for your response.

So I wonder how many HS coaches there are out there who just don't know how to train for or teach this.

Probably a lot...in fact watching Brady there are times where he literally does not even step forward but simply twists his hips to generate velocity...go back and watch some of his throws when there are guys coming at him up the middle of the pocket but he still is able to deliver the ball accurately and with velocity...

It's not always a natural motion that somone would go to...most people simply step into their throws which relies on arm/shoulder strength to generate velocity...when you add in the hip torque to it, you are basically transferring the kinetic energy from your hip up to your arm when releasing the ball and it acts almost like a super charger where you can use much less arm strength to delvier the ball with the same velocity. 

Here is a great article that breaks it down further and explains why its so hard to do properly...it is extremely technique driven...like almost everything in the NFL is...the amount of technique and little idosyncracies that you have to do properly are staggering to an nutrained person watching.  You have to have someone that knows exactly what they are talking about to teach the technique properly and you have to have them be able to critique and figure out how the QB's motion differs from what it needs to be to generate maximum torque...and there is no way coaches in high school or even the NFL will likely have that type of specialized knowledge

http://www.authorityfootball.com/x-and-o-labs-and-the-quarterback-mechanic/

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, billykay said:

Thanks for the response. We thoroughly enjoyed England  when we visited three years ago, the year the Bills were there.

Excellent. I live in London it is the best city in the world in my admittedly biased opinion. Sadly that game was a bit of a downer. Haha. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Excellent. I live in London it is the best city in the world in my admittedly biased opinion. Sadly that game was a bit of a downer. Haha. 

isn't it cool and rainy most of the time tho? Seatlle like?

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bit of a downer, indeed. I believe we had a QB playing that London game that made bad reads and bad decisions, kind of like Peterman. Unless they worked on Peterman's keys and recognitions, the added velocity just means the DB will make the pick faster. 

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If he is the back up this year then the Bills passed on a QB and the process is up in flames.

Peterman blows. If Whaley had drafted Peterman he'd be long gone by now. The fact that McDermott drafted him is the only reason he's on the team. 

Maybe he will make a solid back up one day. 

Whether Peterman is on the team or not has nothing to do with the Bills using a high pick on a qb. Your premise is off base  and off the wall. 

21 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

isn't it cool and rainy most of the time tho? Seatlle like?

In London? Nah. Manchester is cold and rainy. Rains more in an average year in New York than London. Fact. 

From a quick google... 

There are several cities in the USA that average rainy days way above London's 106 days. The cities with the most rainy days (rather than the highest volume of rain) are:

• Rochester, New York and Buffalo, New York with 167 days each a year (or just 198 dry days), which is a little less than half of the year.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

John, please ....you have to acknowledge that "the practice squad" and "the roster" are different terms with different meanings.  Come on.

Or, I guess you don't have to acknowledge it, but failing to acknowledge it makes you look silly.

I'm including the practice squad with being on the roster. Those players are working out with their mates during the season and offseason. If a player goes down they are usually the ones to be brought forward. They are part of the team. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't very accurate either.  He sucks.  2018 will be his last year in the NFL.  

A warning:  Peterman has a history of sucking early in the process, and improving dramatically later on... I think coaching played a big part in the failure of Bills QB's to take the next step in '17... Quarterbacks coach, IMO, is a job that needs to be upgraded or vacated by OBD... As for Peterman, I think he rises, and surprises before the end of his tale is told.

1 hour ago, billykay said:

I've always thought that the NFL ought to allow teams to designate one player on the Practice Squad,  - probably a QB - as untouchable. This would allow teams to carry a young QB, & develop him without fear that he will be signed away. Not trying to hijack the thread, but just a thought

Yup this should have been implemented a long time ago. It's impossible to properly develop QBs under the current CBA.

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm including the practice squad with being on the roster. Those players are working out with their mates during the season and offseason. If a player goes down they are usually the ones to be brought forward. They are part of the team. 

I understand that is what you are doing.  I understand the practice squad players make up the core of the "scout team" and work out with the 53 man roster.

To communicate effectively with others you have to give words the same meaning.  So when my kid refers to "sheeping" the lawn, no one who isn't in on her joke has a clue what she means.  "Mowing" the lawn?  Oh, sure.

It is common usage to refer to "the roster" as the 53 man roster mandated by the NFL, not as "the roster plus the practice squad".  In fact, maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't find anyone else who define "the roster" as 63 men (roster + practice squad) or defines "practice squad" as "being on a team" - the NFL CBA makes distinctions with regard to accrued seasons, compensation, and so forth.

You can define things as you please, but Why? 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Nathan-Peterman-Exciting-To-Learn/857fc723-1a5f-4134-bb88-1856f1bc6943

6'55 and then again later near the end

Peterman worked this offseason with Tom House to add velocity and get better. He was asked if he'd added velocity, he said "Yup, absolutely, that's what it was all about Also keeping your accuracy, 'cause accuracy I think is the most important thing. So being accurate while also being able to zip the ball right in there was critical."

That ought to be interesting to watch.

the peterman quote is dead on. accuracy is most important. velocity is important because between the release and the target, there are insanely talented defenders. and you need to sling that ball to the receiver before they can get their grubby little hands on it. 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I'll always route for Peterman. I can't even tell you why exactly. Theirs something about him that I see a franchise quarterback in. Laugh at me all you want

By highway or local road?  Either way is full of tolls. ;)  There is?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Peterman worked this offseason with Tom House to add velocity and get better. He was asked if he'd added velocity, he said "Yup, absolutely, that's what it was all about Also keeping your accuracy, 'cause accuracy I think is the most important thing. So being accurate while also being able to zip the ball right in there was critical."

This would assume he has accuracy to begin with which clearly he does not.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand that is what you are doing.  I understand the practice squad players make up the core of the "scout team" and work out with the 53 man roster.

To communicate effectively with others you have to give words the same meaning.  So when my kid refers to "sheeping" the lawn, no one who isn't in on her joke has a clue what she means.  "Mowing" the lawn?  Oh, sure.

It is common usage to refer to "the roster" as the 53 man roster mandated by the NFL, not as "the roster plus the practice squad".  In fact, maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't find anyone else who define "the roster" as 63 men (roster + practice squad) or defines "practice squad" as "being on a team" - the NFL CBA makes distinctions with regard to accrued seasons, compensation, and so forth.

You can define things as you please, but Why? 

The original discussion dealt with Peterman being on the roster. I felt that he would more likely be on the roster as a third qb if the Bills use a high pick on a qb, as most of us assume. I still believe that he will be on the roster one way or another. If you don't consider the practice squad as part of the team then that's your prerogative. I do. I'm not trying to stretch a definition of what it means to be on a roster. My point with the prior posts is that most teams keep three qbs on their roster. If you believe that I am stretching the definition of what it means to be on the roster you are entitled to your view. 

The players on the practice squad are practicing with the team during the season and offseason. They are getting paid by the team and using the same staff and facilities. If a better player or a more needed player is available then the practice squad player is dispatched. If you don't consider that as being part of the team that's okay. I just have a more expansive view than you do as to what the roster entails. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In London? Nah. Manchester is cold and rainy. Rains more in an average year in New York than London. Fact. 

From a quick google... 

There are several cities in the USA that average rainy days way above London's 106 days. The cities with the most rainy days (rather than the highest volume of rain) are:

• Rochester, New York and Buffalo, New York with 167 days each a year (or just 198 dry days), which is a little less than half of the year.

Average July and August high temps are only 66 tho...

I don't feel like I've seen enuf of him to come to any firm conclusions but I think the lack of sufficient velocity on some of Peterman's throws, including the playoff game ending pick, is the product of poor footwork through his drop, frontal alignment/stance in relation to the target, planting and pushing more off his front foot instead of properly transferring his weight, in other words sloppy mechanics. Add to that poor timing due to a lack of work with his receivers and the big step up in gamespeed and you wind up with a recipe for disaster, especially when the play call is a throw that is risky to begin with. I've seen tape of Josh Allen, maybe the strongest arm in the game at any level, get picked on out patterns for exactly the same reasons (when his mechanics are poor). With better lower body mechanics I'm pretty sure that the velocity of Peterman's throws would improve, and throwing mechanics is certainly something you can work on. Would it improve enuf for him to make the deep out? Like I said, I haven't seen enuf so idk. Not yet. Peterman is not Josh Rosen. He is actually very sloppy and unrefined as a passer. The deal is, can he improve? I guess we will find out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Lance does a good job with his evaluations. People say he sucks when his evaluations doesn't match up with their illogical man crushes. 

Read a quick write up... only notable take away is he likes Lamar more than most

on Peterman...  geeze guys. The list of starting rookie QB who looked better than Peterman:

- all of them

30 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Read a quick write up... only notable take away is he likes Lamar more than most

on Peterman...  geeze guys. The list of starting rookie QB who looked better than Peterman:

- all of them

Watson

Traubisky

Mahomes

Edited by reddogblitz

6 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

No what I'm saying is this message board needs to stop acting like the worst QB in the league hands down, bar none, deserves a 7 page thread.

This fan base is beyond stupid when it comes to QB. It wasn't too long ago a majority here thought getting Goff and Wentz was stupid. Well we will watch them play for championships while we argue over 5th round bums.

I sincerely do not understand why this happens. I grew up in a time where you get credit and the benefit of the doubt if you actually do something to warrant it. A few throws in the preseason? Give me a damn break. 

This isn'

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You suggested Peterman will be on the team as a back up as 2nd or 3rd QB.

I said if Peterman is the back up(2nd QB) it would implicate the Bills passed or didn't trade up for a top QB and that's a big mistake and will spell disaster for McBeane, IMO.

I don't care if Peterman is the first backup or the tenth backup. It has no bearing on whether the Bills use a high pick on a qb. They will regardless what Peterman's status is. 

10 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

The only QB is NFL history to ever throw 5 INT in a half. I'm underselling him. 

Go ahead and tell me about how the biggest flash in a pan, miracle of a QB selected in the 6th round compares to Peterman though. 

Yeah you're right nobody ever improves our gets better they just stay in the same place they were all the time. What was I thinking. Like that turnover machine Peyton Manning's first year.

17 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Yeah you're right nobody ever improves our gets better they just stay in the same place they were all the time. What was I thinking. Like that turnover machine Peyton Manning's first year.

Peyton Manning did not throw 5 ints in one half of football. Only one guy in the history of football has done that and it's not Peyton.

Edited by reddogblitz

I don't study these guys in college, so I certainly don't know.   However, I have a couple of reactions to this discussion:

1.  Gunner at least speaks with authority and conviction.   I tend to believe him. 

2.  Gunner says he'll never be an NFL starter. 

3.  He was drafted in the fifth round, which means NFL GMs thought there was a high probability that Gunner is right. 

4.  Peterman didn't do anything in 2017 to suggest that Gunner is wrong. 

5.  Major physical changes in athletic moves, like changes to make Peterman a stronger thrower, are difficult to make.   It's like a baseball player changing his swing.   He can practice all he wants during the off-season, but when the bullets start flying, most athletes revert to habits that have been formed over many years.   So I don't put much stock in reports of off-season transformations.   

6.  Bills likely will draft a good rookie QB.   He will start, or McCarron will, and the loser of the battle will be the backup.  Peterman won't get many reps and, depending on how the Bills want to manage the roster, my find himself out of a job.  I think he's practice squad eligibile, but whether he is or not, he just doesn't seem to have a future in Buffalo.  

7.  HE could be one of those journeymen who bounces around the league for several years without playing much. 

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Peyton Manning did not throw 5 ints in one half of football. Only one guy in the history of football has done that.

You're missing the point. Manning threw 28 ints in his rookie year. So by your measure, you would have given up on him and he never would have gotten any better. One game or one season does not a player make.

• Like (+1) 3