Seattle postpones Kaepernick workout b/c of kneeling?

Jobot

3 minutes ago, The Drought said:

I heard the NFL plans to close the concession stands, ticket gates and bathrooms during the anthem so everyone will behave properly.

Lotta lost beer revenue there.  Cheap skate owners will push back on that one. 

When you sign Krapondikk, you are bringing a myriad of problems/headaches into your organization. The first would be the ridiculous  media circus that comes with this type of signing. Especially with ESPN trying to be the sports wing for social justice. This will result in every single interview, from OTAs to the end of the season, having some question about this guy. It is the same reason Tebow isn't in the NFL as we speak. The media attention isn't worth the production.

The second headache will be that when you sign him, you will be labelled some kind of a 'phobe'  if you don't end up starting him. The people on the right will abandon the brand for signing him, and the ones on the left will boycott for not playing him. And in the middle will be Russell Wilson trying to survive/explain this debacle. Good luck with that one.

If CK was one of the best in the league, then teams would take a chance. But if you are somewhere between a sub-par starter and good backup, then you need to leave the lime light and be an asset for your organization... put on your ball cap, grab that clip board, and stay out of the headlines. These owners are in this to make money, and if you drastically affect that in a negative way, you probably won't be part of their business strategy going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, The Drought said:

I heard the NFL plans to close the concession stands, ticket gates and bathrooms during the anthem so everyone will behave properly.

And they will be giving breathalyzer tests at the gates so everyone is sober and respectful for the anthem.

8 hours ago, Jobot said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926234/article/seahawks-postpone-workout-for-colin-kaepernick

So I read this article that Seattle had planned to bring in Kaepernick for a workout, but they are postponing because they want to know if he will continue his kneeling during the anthem...

Regardless of where you stand on for or against what he's doing....This sounds like it will seriously bolster any case Kaepernick has about being black-balled... Not sure what they were thinking with letting this information get out.  As an employer, this would clearly be seen as discrimination based on a constitutional right.

I see you have absolutely no clue what the 1st amendment means or protects, it has nothing to do with private business. Players do not have any "right to protest" on company time or property, the only "rights" would have to be specifically written into their contracts.

10 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

I see you have absolutely no clue what the 1st amendment means or protects, it has nothing to do with private business. Players do not have any "right to protest" on company time or property, the only "rights" would have to be specifically written into their contracts.

It is amazing how some people don’t understand this concept, but at the same time want to make any point of view they disagree with be classified as hate speech, and be punishable by law. Mind boggling. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

It is amazing how some people don’t understand this concept, but at the same time want to make any point of view they disagree with be classified as hate speech, and be punishable by law. Mind boggling. 

Mind boggling? If Kaepernick wins his case will you still be mind boggled? 

It’s not a right to play in the league!

Freedom of speech doesn’t apply at work and private employers can hire and fire whoever they want

If Kaep was a top 10 QB he would have no problem finding a job

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t disagree with this. I think there are a lot of phony people who want to pump up their chests about how they are such Patriots.  Lots of people who don’t truly know that this country was founded on people escaping persecution.  Lots of people who turn the channel, don’t stand, or go to the bathroom at home when the anthem comes on.  

The fact that people are more upset about a guy silently protesting than having men who beat women on their team or a president who brags about grabbing women’s privates is part of the reason their country is going down hill.  

YOU’RE A REAL TRUE AMERICAN HERO!!!

The guy was not silently protesting when he actively spoke out against police and saying the citizens of this country oppress black people. He openly accused police and fans of being people of a low standard and that "he cannot stand up to show pride in a flag or country" that treats people in that manner. While there may be police incidents and acts of oppression, neither are widespread enough to make such accusatory and inflammatory remarks. That is why people dislike him. He grouped the entirety of the country in with murderers and racists.

Not to mention this in plain view:

49ers-kaepernick-sock_chic.jpg?quality=7

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Mind boggling? If Kaepernick wins his case will you still be mind boggled? 

The 9th circuit does mind boggling things all the time. 

A guy broke into a house and cut himself on a knife that was in the kitchen. He sued the Home owners and won. Just because you win in court doesn’t make your position just or sane. 

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

In fact in this article one of Kaepernick's lawyers says the exact opposite:

http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/02/colin-kaepernick-collusion-lawsuit-nfl-burbank-trump-penn-professor-arbitrator-system-law-university

Obviously the caveat is this is Kaepernick's lawyer. The NFL might have a different view. But it isn't open and shut.

"the NFL itself, had an agreement to limit his employment options."

How is that "the opposite" of what I said?  You are just restating the definition of collusion.   There is no proof teams (2, 3, 10, 32) had "an agreement" to limit his employment options.

He will need proof that there ws such an agreement.  Teams separately and independently deciding they don't want to hire him is not collusion.

Let’s make this a political thread!!! Democrats love keeping minorities in poverty and dependent on the government. They targeted minority communities to promote welfare and abortions to destroy their family culture and independence. They bring in illegals to take low skilled jobs to keep legal minorities out of work. The are the party of the KKk. They use identity politics because all of their beliefs are rooted in a racist foundation. 

Unemployment for minorities and women is at an all time low under Trump. Just saying. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

But he isn't "protesting" in the way you mean. He doesn't come to work with a picket sign. If he chose to not stand for the anthem because he just didn't feel like it, would his decision suddenly be legally protected? Can our employers force us to stand for the national anthem when our job has nothing to do with that?

You guys don't get it, or just refuse to get it.

Unless you live in California you can be fired for just about anything that is not protected by the government like race religion etc. If you tell your employer you voted for Trump and he doesn't like it he can fire you. If you come to work with an Obama bumper sticker on your car, he can fire you. I have seen both of these in the news and the employee can do Jack about it. This isn't Europe.

If he chose to not stand for the anthem because he just didn't feel like it, He could still be fired.

That said, he wasn't fired he basically quit (opted out of his contract) and you cant force someone to hire you just because you think you are better then someone else they have employed. No court is going to open that can of worms and have lawsuits filed all over the country demanding that the courts be the arbitrator of who is or isn't worthy of a job.

He has zero chance of winning this thing. Its not murky, its not hazy, it is not a slippery slope. ZERO CHANCE

3 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Let’s make this a political thread!!! Democrats love keeping minorities in poverty and dependent on the government. They targeted minority communities to promote welfare and abortions to destroy their family culture and independence. They bring in illegals to take low skilled jobs to keep legal minorities out of work. The are the party of the KKk. They use identity politics because all of their beliefs are rooted in a racist foundation. 

Unemployment for minorities and women is at an all time low under Trump. Just saying. 

Excellent true statement.

I will add,  I have black friend, who is a conservative, and married to a white woman and he gets attacked all the time by leftist morons. All of his social media accounts have been suspended too.

That’s the left for you.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

The 9th circuit does mind boggling things all the time. 

A guy broke into a house and cut himself on a knife that was in the kitchen. He sued the Home owners and won. Just because you win in court doesn’t make your position just or sane. 

One anecdote means all judicial decisions from this court are void. Got it.  

It’s actually not illegal to discriminate based on political views depending on state laws. There is no federal law saying you can’t. Religion, age, sex, race all covered but political affiliation is usually not. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/11/25/can-businesses-refuse-to-serve-or-employ-trump-supporters/?utm_term=.5963f4437618

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-woman-refuses-sell-home-trump-supporter-article-1.3907232

Most people assume you can’t but in a lot of cases, you can. Oddly enough though it’s usually left refusing right and not the other way around. 

15 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

It is time to move on.  The county is split in two , Kap should be able to play.  The president does more appealing things on a daily basis 

Only if he was good enough, which obviously he is not.

Again a business owner can hire or not hire whoever they want. 

It's not a right to play in the NFL it's a privileged. 

11 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

The guy was not silently protesting when he actively spoke out against police and saying the citizens of this country oppress black people. He openly accused police and fans of being people of a low standard and that "he cannot stand up to show pride in a flag or country" that treats people in that manner. While there may be police incidents and acts of oppression, neither are widespread enough to make such accusatory and inflammatory remarks. That is why people dislike him. He grouped the entirety of the country in with murderers and racists.

Not to mention this in plain view:

49ers-kaepernick-sock_chic.jpg?quality=7

I think if this guy worked in a call center, selling replacement windows in a cubicle, wearing a headset, his views and socks would bother some and others would support him. Some people would be neutral.

In a business based on entertainment and emotion, is it any surprise that people had an emotional reaction?  Wasn't that the point? And isn't it probable that if your actions potentially impact the bottom line (viewership, sponsorship, attendance) that action was likely? The NFL is like any other business in the respect that the survival of the business is what the business is all about.  Thus far, the calculation seems to be he's not a desirable candidate for employment.  We only know this because 32 teams have taken a pass.  

seems 100% predictable to me.

22 hours ago, Jobot said:

Regardless of where you stand on for or against what he's doing....This sounds like it will seriously bolster any case Kaepernick has about being black-balled... Not sure what they were thinking with letting this information get out.  As an employer, this would clearly be seen as discrimination based on a constitutional right.

There is no constitutional right to do this in a job regardless of where you stand on or against what he's doing.

23 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No it wouldn't. He is not an employee of theirs and they can choose not to employ him for any reason that they want. It doesn't violate any rights.

You also can be fired for exercising your constitutional rights.  I could get fired for bringing a pistol to work for example. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

Excellent true statement.

I will add,  I have black friend, who is a conservative, and married to a white woman and he gets attacked all the time by leftist morons. All of his social media accounts have been suspended too.

That’s the left for you.

Excellent point.  I know this girl who sex with 2 guys at once. Thus, all girls love gang bangs. It’s just makes sense!

and people who yell about the left and right, liberal and conservative all the time are the biggest losers in the country.  They are probably people who never played on a sports team past little league and are so desperate to be on.  If you blinding follow one side (one more choice that dictatorship, go democracy!!!), you are a mindless zombie.

11 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Haha, I respect your ignorance.  It’s so bad and stupid, it’s kinda of refreshing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have no problem with this guy kneeling and I have no problem with people being upset about this guy kneeling.  He can voice his opinion and other people are allowed to voice theirs.

...but enough of this already.  This is American and this is an NFL caliber player who deserves a job somewhere in this League.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I have no problem with this guy kneeling and I have no problem with people being upset about this guy kneeling.  He can voice his opinion and other people are allowed to voice theirs.

...but enough of this already.  This is American and this is an NFL caliber player who deserves a job somewhere in this League.

He doesn't deserve anything. There is absolutely nothing he is entitled to. Hope he invested his money wisely. If he is hard up he can get a job like the rest of us. No one in the NFL has to give him a contract. No one can force a team to. Simple. Whether you agree with him or not, playing in the NFL is a privilege and not a right.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, H2o said:

He doesn't deserve anything. There is absolutely nothing he is entitled to. Hope he invested his money wisely. If he is hard up he can get a job like the rest of us. No one in the NFL has to give him a contract. No one can force a team to. Simple. Whether you agree with him or not, playing in the NFL is a privilege and not a right.

Indeed and I agree 100%, it's why you and I don't play in the league, and skill trumps everything else, otherwise let's throw everybody out of the league who beats his girlfriend, does drugs or drives drunk.

I don't mind there being a standard, H2O. It's the double standard that is the problem.

...and this coming from someone who has been a red dog republican for more than 31 years now.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Indeed and I agree 100%, it's why you and I don't play in the league, and skill trumps everything else, otherwise let's throw everybody out of the league who beats his girlfriend, does drugs or drives drunk.

I don't mind there being a standard, H2O. It's the double standard that is the problem.

...and this coming from someone who has been a red dog republican for more than 31 years now.

And I understand your point as well. Me personally, I don't care if he stands or sits or kneels. But in doing this, he has brought these repercussions upon himself. The owners feel like he will cost them more than he is worth monetarily or press wise. If it was Aaron Rodgers then it would be different. It's not though, it is a lower tier starting or upper level backup QB. They have the right to tell you to protest on your own time, not the time they are paying you for. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

And I understand your point as well. Me personally, I don't care if he stands or sits or kneels. But in doing this, he has brought these repercussions upon himself. The owners feel like he will cost them more than he is worth monetarily or press wise. If it was Aaron Rodgers then it would be different. It's not though, it is a lower tier starting or upper level backup QB. They have the right to tell you to protest on your own time, not the time they are paying you for. 

I absolutely hear you and great points.

Additionally, i know I am probably wrong with this point, but why do I have this feeling that once he's back in the league this sort of martyrdom phase will be over?

On 4/14/2018 at 6:05 AM, Dr.Sack said:

One anecdote means all judicial decisions from this court are void. Got it.  

Of all the cases the Supreme Court hears from the 9th circuit, they reversed 79% of them. It's a court that acts on politics not the facts of the case. They are not the worst though, the circuit in Kentucky has a worse record. That's the other side of the coin. That's just how divided we are.

Edited by Green Lightning

At some point fans will realize this is not a good QB anymore

Just like Vince Young(who didn't kneel) there is no interest.

IF Kaepernick (in a QB starved league) was truly a good QB, he would be starting

Take it to the bank

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Of all the cases the Supreme Court hears from the 9th circuit, they reversed 79% of them. It's a court that acts on politics not the facts of the case. They are not the worst though, the circuit in Kentucky has a worse record. That's the other side of the coin. That's just how divided we are.

The SCOTUS overturns about 70% of all US circuit cases so the 9th is hardly an outlier. The Supreme Court hears 150 of 8,000 cases it’s asked to listen to per year. I highly doubt that Kaepernick’s case no matter the outcome will reach the SCOTUS.

You can't make hiring and firing decisions based on protected class. For example I can't fire an FMLA employee for never being at work when they are using FMLA (so long as the FMLA use is within guidelines). FMLA protects the absenteeism. I think where people get confused is protected class/consistency in internal processes.

Seattle did nothing wrong and can choose as a company not to hire employees who kneel during the national anthem. They do get exposure however when they don't apply that same standard to all employees. That exposure isn't direct but it's exposure most employers like to avoid.  For example if you hired a QB who refused to stand during the national anthem now CK could file a lawsuit stating he wasn't hired based on the color of his skin. That would be a protected class issue. Now it would be up to the employer to prove that not hiring him had nothing to do with the lawsuits allegations (skin color). They would also be in a bit of a pinch trying to justify kneeling as cause for not hiring him because they hired another person who they did not apply that same standard with. 

These are the murky areas companies don't like to find themselves in. It can be hard for the employer to prove why exceptions were made for one and not the other. Employers hate exceptions. They like to treat everybody the same because it eliminates peoples ability to play the protected class card as much as possible. It still doesn't eliminate it. If it's a bigger company they will likely just settle with the employee even if the accusation is baseless. It's just not worth the legal fees. I've seen it happen multiple times where an employee sued my employer for protected class termination, had zero leg to stand on, and we just settled because it wasn't worth dealing with.    

Edited by KzooMike

On 4/13/2018 at 8:47 AM, MJS said:

If he was a better player he would be on a team. No matter what.

It's my hope that one day every SJW who keeps barking that Kaep is being black-balled will wake up to this simple, basic truth.

The NFL doesn't care if you beat your wife, get involved in a murder, or fight dogs before putting a bullet in their head and burying them in your backyard...as long as you can perform.

Anyone who thinks the problem with Kaep is his kneeling hasn't been paying attention.

He simple isn't good enough to make a team AND bring his ridiculous baggage.

End of story. Anyone who thinks differently has an agenda. Like, say, all the sports journalists who keep comparing him to Ali.