Seattle postpones Kaepernick workout b/c of kneeling?

Jobot

I saw a tweet (can't recall who, or where, but one of the insiders I believe) that stated they called off the interview because he did not have a good plan goin forward for his social justice work.

This makes total sense to me. Any time you hiring someone you need to be aware of the baggage that he brings with him. If he cant guarantee that he isn't going to do what you want (or not do what you do not want) while he's wearing your name and while he's "on the clock" then there is no reason to hire him. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get this but in a league where winning should be your top concern and you have a bunch of scumbags on Nfl rosters (hi Rueben Foster on Kap’s old team), it’s a bad look to ban a guy for kneeling quietly. IMO.

That's capitalism though. Your beef should be with society, not the NFL. If people stopped attending/watching a team that has a guy who beats women (Which I think would be a totally fair reason to stop watching) then teams would stop hiring them as well. I think NFL teams just don't think Kaepernick is worth the headache and media circus that comes with him now if he wont be a franchise QB, let alone your starter. 

2 hours ago, Nineforty said:

Collusion. Not to be confused with conspiracy like 45.

You mean your president, Donald Trump?

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

The type of people concerned about Kaepernick's "rights" suddenly become capitalists when Youtube, Twitter, FB, etc. Start censoring people they disagree with. 

But we're to believe a football team asking it's players to do their political protesting when they're not on company time offends their deeply held principled support of free speech.

^ This! Spot on

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Public perception has no bearing on this case at all. This isn't really a matter of Kaepernick choosing to protest. He isn't running out onto the field holding a banner that says "I hate the anthem." The league requires the national anthem to be played before every game and he's choosing to not stand. Him kneeling for the anthem has nothing to do with what he is employed to do. Companies can't make their employers follow any rule they choose, there are limits. This is getting away from the collusion argument he's bringing to arbitration but there could be a case to be made there to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. I wonder if he'll go that route if the collision argument fails.

But he isn't "protesting" in the way you mean. He doesn't come to work with a picket sign. If he chose to not stand for the anthem because he just didn't feel like it, would his decision suddenly be legally protected? Can our employers force us to stand for the national anthem when our job has nothing to do with that?

NFL has rules that players must be on field and standing for anthem. (not clear what current 2018-19 rules are now) It is (was) part of an atmosphere and projection NFL choose to project as they thought it was financial inducive to do this. This is an employer right to maximize income.

Part of this could have been due to military paying NFL to feature military themes. NFL made money off this. Military in effect then became an advertiser.

Just like players can not show logo of non approved companies..... and in some cases can only wear non approved NFL sponsors apparel they want as long as logo is taped over or paying sponsor logo is taped on like Nike on the shoes.(not sure who isponsors are now and this is only example.)

If employee refuses to follow the rules and employer is financially harmed, the player could be subject to recovery of losses via lawsuit.

For EX if Nike has exclusive on field sponsorships of shoes and half the league lets players wear Adidas with logo visible it could cause Nike to drop their sponsorships and even ask for refund as NFL did not honor the contract. Same with Gatorade if NFL then allowed players to hold and drink out of Powerade bottles.

Edited by cba fan

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926234/article/seahawks-postpone-workout-for-colin-kaepernick

So I read this article that Seattle had planned to bring in Kaepernick for a workout, but they are postponing because they want to know if he will continue his kneeling during the anthem...

Regardless of where you stand on for or against what he's doing....This sounds like it will seriously bolster any case Kaepernick has about being black-balled... Not sure what they were thinking with letting this information get out.  As an employer, this would clearly be seen as discrimination based on a constitutional right.

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

Okay so i guess the ongoing lawsuit of him being black-balled has no basis???  Proving the collusion has been the issue all along.  Seattle just blatantly admitted to this.

What does collusion mean, fella?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats actually not accurate, at least not in California.  You have to have “cause” here and it’s not easy to fire someone and you can be sued for wrongful termination easily and lose easily.  I know several people who have won cases on this matter.  If you fired anyone here for the reasons you stated, you would lose if sued for wrongful termination.  And more than likely your attorneys would tell you this and that it would be almost a certainty and advise you to settle before going to court.  I can’t speak on other states, just here.  

That's because California is a terrible communist state. 

1 hour ago, kota said:

Owners are a bunch of cowards beholden to their advertisers.  If an advertiser has an issue with someone kneeling during the national anthem they have bigger issues.

Labor unions go on strike all the time.  The players are in a players union what's the difference.

Whether you’re in a Union or not,  it’s not smart to engage in political protest in the workplace....unless you’re an entitled, spoiled, millionaire athlete who feels he can do whatever he wants without consequence.

Nobody is REQUIRED to give you a job.

What's the remedy? Force a team to sign him? Then it will be force a team to start him, and then soon force opposing defenses to mask the fact that he's terrible by laying off him in games...

Sounds like a NE signing to me

20 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

The players that did not stand up for the Flag are posers.  Love the lime light on Sunday afternoon.  Where were then on Monday on their day off?  I wouldn't want anyone on my team that didn't stand up.  Kapernick is a phony. Raised in a upper middle class family.  HE didnt pay any price.  good for seattle

How about he stinks as a qb

Hes done a ton, and relatively quietly, in his free time. Whether or not you agree with his stance I think it’s unfair to act like it’s a hollow look at me position. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So coke head woman beater who hasn’t done squat in the nfl is a better option than a guy who nearly won a SB?  Good set of values there.

That depends, what's his 40 time?

I am kidding, but there unfortunately is a direct correlation between how valuable a player is to a team and how much heat they are willing to take as an organization by being associated with him. A great player will get multiple strikes before everyone gives up on him, but a marginal player may only get one. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but it is the reality of the situation.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Right. We don't have enough politics in entertainment. There should be protests that at half time and during the post game too.

The anthem, the flags and flyovers... it’s all political display. 

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That depends, what's his 40 time?

I am kidding, but there unfortunately is a direct correlation between how valuable a player is to a team and how much heat they are willing to take as an organization by being associated with him. A great player will get multiple strikes before everyone gives up on him, but a marginal player may only get one. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but it is the reality of the situation.

I think he’s refering to fan support.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Are you comparing Jackie Robinson with Kapernick? I don't recall Jackie Robinson staging any protests before a game.

Most owners won’t sign Robinson because they were afraid of upsetting their fan bases.  It took Branch Rickey going out on a limb.  

28 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

What does collusion mean, fella?

That's because California is a terrible communist state. 

Yeah, things would be much better if we had more Mississippis (dumbest, fattest state) than Californias (the worlds fifth biggest economy by itself).

The kneeling issue has evolved greatly since 2016.

Kaep first took a knee to spark conversation regarding how minorities are treated in the legal system.  The backlash he received emboldened a handful of players to do the same.  The league didn't know how to handle it, so they just categorized it under "free speech" and let it go.  It rubbed some fans the wrong way,  but wasn't enough to move the needle of public outcry.

The unified display by teams (including players, coaches and owners) after the President's comments last year put an enormous red hot spotlight on the topic.  It divided not only the league, but also it's fans. You had mass cancellations of the NFL Ticket, people walking out of the stadium and demanding refunds for season tickets & individual games.  Fans were also boycotting advertisers.  The NFL could no longer sweep the issue under the rug.  They had to take some sort of action.  Last year proved that the act of kneeling during the national anthem (on company time) had a direct correlation to damaging the league brand and loss of revenue. 

To remedy this, the owners and a group of players came together and decided that the league would donate over $100 million over a seven year period to create programs in different cities to not only help inner city youths, but their relationships with law enforcement.  If you ask me, this is what the league should have done after 2016.  When your a billion dollar business whose most notable employees are minorities, they should have been ahead of this and not let it reach the level it did.

After the settlement, teams began holding off on kneeling during the anthem except for a handful of players.  

So we are at a point where the act of kneeling has caused damage to a brand that cost it's teams (companies) and advertisers revenue, and the league has adopted steps to support their employee's cause (a course of action that the players openly agreed with).

If a team no longer wants a player to kneel on company time so that their brand isn't damaged, their customer's aren't offended, and they don't lose revenue, then I don't blame them.  Kneeling during the national anthem is no longer a valid argument.  

There were stories last year that Kaep said if he got an opportunity to play he wouldn't kneel.  Eric Reid said the same thing when free agency started this winter.  But when asked by teams all of a sudden they change their tune and want the option to do so if they chose.  If this is the case, then an employer should have the option of whether he wants that player on his sideline or not, knowing that his employee may cost the employer money, customers, or harm to their brand.  No judge is going to see all of this going on and rule in favor of the player.

These reports are most likely from the agents of Kap and Reid who are trying to create a stir.  I think it's being done in poor taste. 

Bottom line, the NFL is a business.  The league and it's fans have already fought this battle, and it's time to lay it to rest.  If you want to take a stance, do it outside of company time.  As for fans like me who once upon a time supported your cause, that support no longer exists.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like how you're a terrible poster

:cry:

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Most owners won’t sign Robinson because they were afraid of upsetting their fan bases.  It took Branch Rickey going out on a limb.  

Yeah, things would be much better if we had more Mississippis (dumbest, fattest state) than Californias (the worlds fifth biggest economy by itself).

Ever heard "two wrongs don't make a right," tough guy?

51 minutes ago, DocLawless said:

That's capitalism though. Your beef should be with society, not the NFL. If people stopped attending/watching a team that has a guy who beats women (Which I think would be a totally fair reason to stop watching) then teams would stop hiring them as well. I think NFL teams just don't think Kaepernick is worth the headache and media circus that comes with him now if he wont be a franchise QB, let alone your starter. 

You mean your president, Donald Trump?

^ This! Spot on

I don’t disagree with this. I think there are a lot of phony people who want to pump up their chests about how they are such Patriots.  Lots of people who don’t truly know that this country was founded on people escaping persecution.  Lots of people who turn the channel, don’t stand, or go to the bathroom at home when the anthem comes on.  

The fact that people are more upset about a guy silently protesting than having men who beat women on their team or a president who brags about grabbing women’s privates is part of the reason their country is going down hill.  

1 minute ago, Derby Dan said:

I would fire my employees if they didn't stand period

YOU’RE A REAL TRUE AMERICAN HERO!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hmmm, so it wasn’t players kneeling before games or that brought about change?

Branch Rickey was an idealist, but a businessman too. Don’t forget that .

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Yet Reuben Foster still has a job in this league

Ray Rice doesn't.  Nor does Aldon Smith or Greg Hardy.

Right now the 49ers are allowing the legal system play out so they are protected if/when they release him.  But honestly with the roll call of the above names I see Foster added to that list before next season kicks off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Hmmm, so it wasn’t players kneeling before games or that brought about change?

Branch Rickey was an idealist, but a businessman too. Don’t forget that .

Huh?  The Nfl has started a new program to promote social justice.  So obviously, the protests had an impact.

And for the record, I would never take a knee during the anthem.  But if you feel stronger about CK than a guy who beats a woman, you are a Kinda a POS.

10 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

The reason any of us have the life we have today is because brave men and women died for us and we honor that service by standing up.  enough

And it has been said many, many times it’s not about the military.  Many military members have stated that while they don’t like it, they have to support it because that’s what America is founded on. You can’t pick or choose which rights you support. 

12 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Ray Rice doesn't.  Nor does Aldon Smith or Greg Hardy.

Right now the 49ers are allowing the legal system play out so they are protected if/when they release him.  But honestly with the roll call of the above names I see Foster added to that list before next season kicks off.

Smith and Hardy were both signed by another team.  Rice was on the downside of his career.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And it has been said many, many times it’s not about the military.  Many military members have stated that while they don’t like it, they have to support it because that’s what America is founded on. You can’t pick or choose which rights you support. 

I am a little confused why you bring Foster into every discussion about Rosen and now Kapernick.

Foster is in the NFL, not the SEC. He plays for the 49ers, not Alabama or Buffalo. He’s not draftable.

Everyone thinks that what Foster did was reprehensible, but it has nothing to do with Rosen or Kapernick.

Your false and malcious accusations that I somehow support Foster are getting really, really tiring.

Edited by Sky Diver

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I am a little confused why you bring Foster into every discussion about Rosen and now Kapernick.

Foster is in the NFL, not the SEC. He plays for the 49ers, not Alabama or Buffalo. He’s not draftable.

Everyone thinks that what Foster did was reprehensible, but it has nothing to do with Rosen or Kapernick.

Your false and malcious accusations that I somehow support Foster are getting really, really tiring.

I know you think everything revolves around Bama but I said woman beater in general terms.  Manziel faces domestic violence charges and there are plenty of others. 

Like I said before, if a silent protestor makes you angrier than a player who hits a woman, you are part of the problem.  It’s about as stupid as people who have the American flag next to the confederate, participation trophy one. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know you think everything revolves around Bama but I said woman beater in general terms.  Manziel faces domestic violence charges and there are plenty of others. 

Like I said before, if a silent protestor makes you angrier than a player who hits a woman, you are part of the problem.  It’s about as stupid as people who have the American flag next to the confederate, participation trophy one. 

Disagreeing with Rosen’s and Kapernick’s antics has nothing to do with Foster. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

His cause of equality for everyone??? How terrible that is!!!!

and if he was yelling keeping MAGA, the reverse would be true.  People are rooting for Johnny Manziel, who hasn’t done half of what Kaep did in the nfl and hit his girlfriend.  So many double standards.

its also funny that the people who cry about everything being so sensitive and snowflakes are often the biggest snowflakes.  If that guy kneels for the national anthem, I’m not watching!!! 

Fact is he is a better quarterback than any one on our roster.

You are not reading it correctly.

Nowhere do I say Kaep's cause is vile. How about you read things carefully before you lash out? What about you doing that?

Protesting for something vile would be a guy throwing out a Nazi Salute during the anthem to show solidarity with imprisoned American Nazis who's only crime was to blow up a synagogue.

get it now? Would y'all be on that man's side? 

If the principle holds true for one it needs to hold true for the Nazi also.

Would you still be up in arms over that player's right to self expression at games?

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

....or a president who brags about grabbing women’s privates is part of the reason their country is going down hill.  

I'm convinced that was what Baker Mayfield was doing, protesting Trump's bad behavior,  but he has been misunderstood. He is a brave hero if you ask me!

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

1 hour ago, Derby Dan said:

Name them?  Go to prision and talk to murderers.  What has  he done but turn people against police  this is not a political board so I will shut up.  No respect for the man.  You must live in Califoria

It sounds like you live live with your head in the sand. Again, agree with him or not on the police issue, he’s been active in the community with his time and money. Apparently acknowledging that reality is a liberal stance? 

Heres some personal donations and also collectives he’s organized:

http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge/

Also going to low income schools, the 100 suits for 100 men project to help men dress the part for getting better jobs... so on and so forth...

the kneeling i dont mind (don’t gung ho support but not offended and do think we deserve more from our criminal justice system).... the pig socks were immature and inappropriate. His work off the field is generally admirable. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So is the 1st apparently.  Personally, I think it is sad how much we love guns here but I’m fine with hunting.  By why does anyone need a better weapon than police carry around (blue lives matter!)?  

Arm the police with the same(or more powerfull) weapons they face on the street.

When police are policing and trying to keep the country safe I do not want a fair fight, I want the police to overwhelm the perp.

Edited by cba fan

I guess an NFL team will hire a convicted felon before they will hire a guy who wants to exercise his 1st Amendment right of freedom of expression.

God I hate the NFL.

These billionaires won't go anywhere near anyone or anything that might take a few dimes out of their pocket.

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I guess an NFL team will hire a convicted felon before they will hire a guy who wants to exercise his 1st Amendment right of freedom of expression.

God I hate the NFL.

These billionaires won't go anywhere near anyone or anything that might take a few dimes out of their pocket.

I think Colin would want an employer to consider hiring convicted felons (as do I). If you're ok with rejecting guys from gainful employment for their past mistakes then why insert them back into society!

Colin knew what he was doing and let's not act surprised that big buisness is doing all it can to protect its bottoms line. Go kicking and screaming about a millionaire costing himself millions while people shop at companies like Walmart who pay their workers **** wages and manipulate their hours to keep them from health insurance. Life is not fair, everyone can't be a doctor or lawyer. The robots aren't a full go yet we still need folks to flip burgers and stock shelves.

Oh such a raw deal Colin Kap is getting!