Peter King MMQB: 4/2/18.

PIZ

Three interesting points in that article:

1.) The idea that the Browns will use picks 1 and 4 on Allen and Barkley.
2.) The idea that the Giants could trade Beckham for two 1sts and trade the Bills the 2nd overall pick, and in so doing, could have three picks in this year's 1st round and three picks in next year's 1st round. I would ABSOLUTELY do that if I were Dave Gettleman.
3.) The idea that Darnold is being overrated by fans and is actually no better than the 5th best QB, with even Lamar Jackson ahead of him! How crazy would it be if it DID go Allen, Rosen, Mayfield...and then the Bills were left to pick between Darnold and Jackson? And how high would they have to trade up to ensure one of them? Would they have to trade up at all? 

It's gonna be an interesting month.

Edited by Logic

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Three interesting points in that article:

3.) The idea that Darnold is being overrated by fans and is actually no better than the 5th best QB, with even Lamar Jackson ahead of him! 

I’ve been saying that all year.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

2.) The idea that the Giants could trade Beckham for two 1sts and trade the Bills the 2nd overall pick, and in so doing, could have three picks in this year's 1st round and three picks in next year's 1st round. I would ABSOLUTELY do that if I were Dave Gettleman.

Problem with that is that in a few years, the Giants will potentially have to deal with fifth-year options on six players in a two-year span.  There are worse problems, I guess, but it’s a consideration.

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

Problem with that is that in a few years, the Giants will potentially have to deal with fifth-year options on six players in a two-year span.  There are worse problems, I guess, but it’s a consideration.

That's if they all 'hit.'

Hedge your bet that three will be studs and three will be 'meh.'

The comments about Darnold especially intrigued me, as they matched pretty exactly an assessment of someone on another board, who I believe has NFL experience as a scout or coach, where they say that Darnold is 'careless with the football'. And mean it in a bad way.

Due to size and arm, Darnold is probably only 2nd to Allen in 'upside', yet it could take a couple of years to get him productive at an NFL level. The only team that does have the absolute luxury of letting him sit that long, behind a proven starter, would be the Giants.

The comments about the potential Bills Giants trade makes me wonder if it's a done deal, or close to a done deal.  Now the Bills are checking out Baker Mayfield to determine whether they really want to go to 2 for Rosen, or go to 6 for Mayfield.  Who knows?

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

The comments about the potential Bills Giants trade makes me wonder if it's a done deal, or close to a done deal.  Now the Bills are checking out Baker Mayfield to determine whether they really want to go to 2 for Rosen, or go to 6 for Mayfield.  Who knows?

I think that the reality is that Mayfield and Rosen, are the two guys who might start immediately. So you have to kind of pick your poison, if you intend to move up to #2

I'd guess that the difference between the two, is pretty marginal, so an awful lot of 'due dilignce' is getting done. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Tired of these mocks , just need to get the draft over with. The teams know what they want and how it's going to fall, time to get The show on the road.

I was thinking I should start downloading them so I can look back after the draft.  You know they'll all be deleted before the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Tired of these mocks , just need to get the draft over with. The teams know what they want and how it's going to fall, time to get The show on the road.

It always seems to drag, but this year because of the Bills' draft picks and the obvious tension around the most important position in all of sports, this one seems like Christmas Eve when you were 5 and kept waking up hoping Santa had delivered your gifts and you could wake everyone up.....(hopefully for us, not to find a huge box.....of socks).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

It always seems to drag, but this year because of the Bills' draft picks and the obvious tension around the most important position in all of sports, this one seems like Christmas Eve when you were 5 and kept waking up hoping Santa had delivered your gifts and you could wake everyone up.....(hopefully for us, not to find a huge box.....of socks).

You would think with the Bills having  2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, and 3 3rd round picks this draft would create optimism, but if we miss our QB there will be a lot of disappointment in Western NY.   

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

8 hours ago, PIZ said:

This is not the first time hearing that Josh Rosen really needs to go to a team with some sound, intellectual Offensive Minds.

Which unfortunately does not seem like Buffalo at all.

McDermott seems like your standard Defensive Minded coach who is like a a pig in **** if his teams with 13-7 every week.

Dabol History and word out of OBD seems more running, running, running.

You know who Rosen should go to?  Sean Payton and the Saints and sit behind Brees for 2 seasons.  Payton would challenge Rosen and that to me seems like the perfect fit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

This is not the first time hearing that Josh Rosen really needs to go to a team with some sound, intellectual Offensive Minds.

McDermott seems like your standard Defensive Minded coach who is like a a pig in **** if his teams with 13-7 every week.

You know who Rosen should go to?  Sean Payton and the Saints and sit behind Brees for 2 seasons.  Payton would challenge Rosen and that to me seems like the perfect fit.

Your pessimism is astounding. In a year where the Bills overachieved, ended the drought, have Draft capital unlike we've seen in many years, and one of the most accomplished Front Offices in all of the NFL, you seem to want to dump all over the parade. Why? No, seriously...why? Do you feel smarter for insinuating that McD and his staff are unable to coach a cerebral QB? 

If you're suggesting that last year's Offense is somehow indicative of what is projected to be this year's Offense, did you miss the dismissal of their Offensive Coordinator? Did you understand that Dabol runs a similar system to the Patriots and Louisville? Do you understand philosophies can change based on the talent and players they have on their team? McD played a conservative Offense mainly because he was forced to and of course, yeah the QB couldn't well, you know...QB. So, running and keeping the score low so his Defense could try and create turnovers and play the field position game was the best chance at winning. 

Presuming the Bills take any of the top 5 QBs, and they're able to help their QB with a better outside WR, and get a good MLB, there's no reason to think the Bills can't be good next year. Will they be? Who knows...but presuming McD is fine with running the ball and playing Defense, is a huge stretch of logic that buys you a bridge to nowhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mannc said:

You can keep moving picks though (move up, move down, move out of the first etc)

24 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I really don't think McDermott is satisfied with a 13-7 victory when he specifically stated last year that scoring points was concerning.

Dabol hasn't had a QB to work with so he may have been forced to run more because he was limited in the passing game.

Finally, the right question about Darnold by Simms.

Rosen - throws the best looking ball

Allen - strongest arm

Mayfield - top winner, most competitive

Jackson - top athlete

Rudolph - most prolific

and then Darnold - best or top at what?  turnovers?

Darnold may very well turn out to be the best of this draft class.  But the no-brainer #1 comments I keep hearing on the NFL network makes me scratch my head.

26 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Every time Jim Mora Jr. opens his mouth he removes all doubt!

He is an a-hole of the first order

Agree i have never heard a former coach throw his own players under the bus as much as I have with Mora. 

He did the same with Myles Jack in his draft year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Your pessimism is astounding. In a year where the Bills overachieved, ended the drought, have Draft capital unlike we've seen in many years, and one of the most accomplished Front Offices in all of the NFL, you seem to want to dump all over the parade. Why? No, seriously...why? Do you feel smarter for insinuating that McD and his staff are unable to coach a cerebral QB? 

If you're suggesting that last year's Offense is somehow indicative of what is projected to be this year's Offense, did you miss the dismissal of their Offensive Coordinator? Did you understand that Dabol runs a similar system to the Patriots and Louisville? Do you understand philosophies can change based on the talent and players they have on their team? McD played a conservative Offense mainly because he was forced to and of course, yeah the QB couldn't well, you know...QB. So, running and keeping the score low so his Defense could try and create turnovers and play the field position game was the best chance at winning. 

Presuming the Bills take any of the top 5 QBs, and they're able to help their QB with a better outside WR, and get a good MLB, there's no reason to think the Bills can't be good next year. Will they be? Who knows...but presuming McD is fine with running the ball and playing Defense, is a huge stretch of logic that buys you a bridge to nowhere.

Sorry to strike a nerve so early in the morning.  Maybe a beer some Cheerios and a trip to Dyngus Day is what you need to relax it up.

no I do not feel smarter for pointing out that Buffalo is on the low end if not the absolute bottom when it comes to offense.  They had abysmal results and They have no one on the staff who is considered a current great offensive mind or an up and coming offensive strategizer.

If the question is “where would Rosen fit with a challenging offensive mind” sorry that’s not Buffalo by a mile. I still hope they draft Rosen.  But as far as participating in this exercise, not a chance Rosen is anywhere the fit forcbuffalo based on Offensive Minded staff.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

7 minutes ago, stuvian said:

with each passing mock I become less convinced that there is a QB worth trading up for. Stay at 12 and take Jackson

Jackson has gotten better every year and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up better than a few of the top QB's. Unfortunately I don't see the Bills even viewing him as an option.

29 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Sorry to strike a nerve so early in the morning.  Maybe a beer some Cheerios and a trip to Dyngus Day is what you need to relax it up.

no I do not feel smarter for pointing out that Buffalo is on the low end if not the absolute bottom when it comes to offense.  They had abysmal results and They have no one on the staff who is considered a current great offensive mind or an up and coming offensive strategizer.

If the question is “where would Rosen fit with a challenging offensive mind” sorry that’s not Buffalo by a mile. I still hope they draft Rosen.  But as far as participating in this exercise, not a chance Rosen is anywhere the fit forcbuffalo based on Offensive Minded staff.

I'm good...no Cheerios needed, but based on your negativity, you may want to take your own advice.

As for "They have no one on the staff who is considered a current great offensive mind or an up and coming offensive strategizer", this is might be your most laughable statement thus far. Brian Daboll was on the short list to be hired back by NE if McDaniels was to take the Colts job. Saban and Belichick speak volumes about Daboll's ability....and you remember the National Title game, right? Where Hurts was pulled and Tagovailoa started the 2nd half, only to throw for 166 yards and 3 TDs - including the dagger in OT....that same Offensive Coordinator who couldn't overcome a really poor 1st half by his run-first QB to change schemes on the fly and get the win? That guy? That's the one who is not worthy of at the very fricken least, a little time, like, I don't know, half a season, to see what he can do? 

As for Offensive minded staff, if you look at Daboll's history, you can see where he and McD fit. Daboll is in fact an OC who did much more in running the ball, especially his last OC job in KC....here's the caveat, the QBs he had to work with were worse than Tyrod, so he ran the ball - because like McD, they had no other choice. In fact, considering how poor the QBs were, his ability to scheme for getting the yards on the ground the way he did with teams knowing the QBs weren't worth a postage stamp, says he's better than you're currently giving him credit for. Will he be a great OC for Buffalo? I have no idea....but to discredit him before he's even had a chance with the Bills' new (and I would hope improved) QB and a decent supporting staff, if the Bills can Draft or sign a good boundary WR opposite Benjamin, is merely finding reasons to be negative, with no real purpose in mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Also tired of the mocks, but teams absolutely do NOT know how it's going to fall.  The Jets have no idea which QB's are going to be available at 3.

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm good...no Cheerios needed, but based on your negativity, you may want to take your own advice.

As for "They have no one on the staff who is considered a current great offensive mind or an up and coming offensive strategizer", this is might be your most laughable statement thus far. Brian Daboll was on the short list to be hired back by NE if McDaniels was to take the Colts job. Saban and Belichick speak volumes about Daboll's ability....and you remember the National Title game, right? Where Hurts was pulled and Tagovailoa started the 2nd half, only to throw for 166 yards and 3 TDs - including the dagger in OT....that same Offensive Coordinator who couldn't overcome a really poor 1st half by his run-first QB to change schemes on the fly and get the win? That guy? That's the one who is not worthy of at the very fricken least, a little time, like, I don't know, half a season, to see what he can do? 

As for Offensive minded staff, if you look at Daboll's history, you can see where he and McD fit. Daboll is in fact an OC who did much more in running the ball, especially his last OC job in KC....here's the caveat, the QBs he had to work with were worse than Tyrod, so he ran the ball - because like McD, they had no other choice. In fact, considering how poor the QBs were, his ability to scheme for getting the yards on the ground the way he did with teams knowing the QBs weren't worth a postage stamp, says he's better than you're currently giving him credit for. Will he be a great OC for Buffalo? I have no idea....but to discredit him before he's even had a chance with the Bills' new (and I would hope improved) QB and a decent supporting staff, if the Bills can Draft or sign a good boundary WR opposite Benjamin, is merely finding reasons to be negative, with no real purpose in mind. 

You seem to be confusing pointitng out Dabolls and Buffalos League wide standing when it comes to offense as discrediting him.

to say they aren’t considered that highly in offense is not a slight.   As of today. April 2, 2018.   It is the truth.  No one considers the Bills anything on the offensive side of the ball.  Except for maybe an occasional run by McCoy.

as for Daboll to New England...no.  Daboll turned down working under McDaniels in Indy to accept the Buffalo job.  Why Buffalo over Indy?  1.) More Money 2.) he’s from buffalo.  No other reason.  New England was not the equation.

14 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You seem to be confusing pointitng out Dabolls and Buffalos League wide standing when it comes to offense as discrediting him.

to say they aren’t considered that highly in offense is not a slight.   As of today. April 2, 2018.   It is the truth.  No one considers the Bills anything on the offensive side of the ball.  Except for maybe an occasional run by McCoy.

as for Daboll to New England...no.  Daboll turned down working under McDaniels in Indy to accept the Buffalo job.  Why Buffalo over Indy?  1.) More Money 2.) he’s from buffalo.  No other reason.  New England was not the equation.

That's not entirely accurate....but whatever. As for turning down a potential Indy job with McDaniels, "more money" and returning home are what you've got? Ok, so the opportunity to coach Luck, probably work closely with what is considered one of the foremost Offensive minds in the NFL, be at least in part credited with what would have been a resurgent Indy Offense, and play 8 games in a new stadium and in a division where parity seems to win every year that would only advance his career, isn't even part of your equation? 

This marks the end...you've officially gone off the rails, and for whatever reason, have an ax to grind to keep it negative. Fine. Off to your pagan rituals with chasing girls with cold water and whipping them with sticks. 

My only concern is these teams in the top five may not be inclined to trade out without knowing who is still on the board, in turn Buffalo won't really have the opportunity to move up.

To me Beane absolutely needs to get into the top ten well before draft night, and I don't know if it happens because of the elite top talent. 

7 hours ago, mannc said:

That is not a "problem" at all. Not in any respect really. Nobody goes into the NFL draft expecting to "hit" on all their picks. No GM is naive enough to believe that. But it if were to happen, youd' thank your lucky stars and make whatever decisions are best at that time for the future of your team.

And remember the Giants have a very narrow window if they want to win one more SB with Eli... No one player they take at #2 is gonna be able to contribute as much as these 6 possible front line players might over time...

It's a gamble... Either way...

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

My only concern is these teams in the top five may not be inclined to trade out without knowing who is still on the board, in turn Buffalo won't really have the opportunity to move up.

To me Beane absolutely needs to get into the top ten well before draft night, and I don't know if it happens because of the elite top talent. 

Exactly the wrong strategy.  

Just now, baskingridgebillsfan said:

if I run the giants I have to make those trades.   I think that would give them 11 prem picks in two years     

Without a doubt, however they have also sent out mixed messages on how competitive they expect their team to be this season.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The wrong strategy to get into the top ten? The one caveat to getting to two would be getting into the top ten...what are you talking about?

I’m talking about panicking and convincing yourself you have to “get into the top ten” BEFORE the draft.  Why?  No one knows how it’s going to play out.  Why trade up to 6 or 7 now, when you have no idea if your guy is going to be there?  There is a reason teams have tended NOT to do this.