Peter King MMQB: 4/2/18.

PIZ

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Your pessimism is astounding. In a year where the Bills overachieved, ended the drought, have Draft capital unlike we've seen in many years, and one of the most accomplished Front Offices in all of the NFL, you seem to want to dump all over the parade. Why? No, seriously...why? Do you feel smarter for insinuating that McD and his staff are unable to coach a cerebral QB? 

If you're suggesting that last year's Offense is somehow indicative of what is projected to be this year's Offense, did you miss the dismissal of their Offensive Coordinator? Did you understand that Dabol runs a similar system to the Patriots and Louisville? Do you understand philosophies can change based on the talent and players they have on their team? McD played a conservative Offense mainly because he was forced to and of course, yeah the QB couldn't well, you know...QB. So, running and keeping the score low so his Defense could try and create turnovers and play the field position game was the best chance at winning. 

Presuming the Bills take any of the top 5 QBs, and they're able to help their QB with a better outside WR, and get a good MLB, there's no reason to think the Bills can't be good next year. Will they be? Who knows...but presuming McD is fine with running the ball and playing Defense, is a huge stretch of logic that buys you a bridge to nowhere.

Very astute analysis! Can you give us the abridged version? :D

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Jackson has gotten better every year and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up better than a few of the top QB's. Unfortunately I don't see the Bills even viewing him as an option.

I've become more and more convinced that Jackson's going to become a transformational QB in the NFL. He's going to be the best QB from this draft by far. I think he's going to be a faster, more elusive Randle Cunningham and Michael Vick. I have no doubts that he's very high on the Bills board and I think the Mayfield stuff is a smokescreen. What a crazy draft this is going to be, so many differing opinions and options and scenarios. I can't fault anyone for have the opposite opinions than mine, seems everyone has  a different feeling of how it will all go down.

8. I think it’s not probable but certainly possible to think that the Giants could make two trades before the draft: with the Rams for Odell Beckham Jr., and with Buffalo for the second pick in the draft. Let’s say New York did that. And let’s say New York, in return, got two first-round picks from the Rams and three first-round picks from Buffalo. Three? Three! For Buffalo to move from 12 to two in this year’s first round, and to get a top quarterback prospect, the Bills, I believe, would have to deal the 12th and 22nd picks this year, plus their first-rounder next year. How interesting would that be? It would give the Giants quantity, and allow them to own the next two first rounds. As you see here:

• In 2018, the Giants would have Buffalo’s 12th and 22nd overall picks, and the Rams’ 23rd. So three picks in the top 23.

• In 2019, the Giants would have their own first-round pick, Buffalo’s first-round pick, and the Rams’ first-round pick.

Obviously, in order for the Giants to even consider doing these deals, they’d have to believe they could eschew a drafted quarterback this year and Eli Manning would give them two more strong years (he’s slipped in recent seasons), and they’d have to have a willing partner in the Bills. Buffalo would have to be willing to denude the top of its next two drafts to get the quarterback it wants. I don’t expect both things to happen, but the Giants could do something historic this year.

9. I think teams should not be afraid of Baker Mayfield.

Just now, mannc said:

I’m talking about panicking and convincing yourself you have to “get into the top ten” BEFORE the draft.  Why?  No one knows how it’s going to play out.  Why trade up to 6 or 7 now, when you have no idea if your guy is going to be there?  There is a reason teams have tended NOT to do this.

Unless you are the Eagles and you traded to eight and then up to second overall.

If the draft rolls around and you have to make two trades, you are already in trouble. The picks are timed and you only have certain amount of time with potential more challengers to move up. 

If Buffalo wants that second overall they need to move up now or before draft night. Its that simple.

If they don't covet the second overall, which all indications have pointed to then wanting that pick and the Giants being willing to move, then yeah, they don't have to move up now.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I’m talking about panicking and convincing yourself you have to “get into the top ten” BEFORE the draft.  Why?  No one knows how it’s going to play out.  Why trade up to 6 or 7 now, when you have no idea if your guy is going to be there?  There is a reason teams have tended NOT to do this.

Because it gives you maneuverability if you want to trade up further. Waiting until draft night would risk it all falling apart or worse the colts or bucs giving 6 and 7 to someone else.

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Because it gives you maneuverability if you want to trade up further. Waiting until draft night would risk it all falling apart or worse the colts or bucs giving 6 and 7 to someone else.

Right, that terrifies me.  Im still shocked the Jets moved up so early.  I hate were gonna pay a kings ransom if we move up, but its like a black friday sale on qbs this year.

36 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

That's not entirely accurate....but whatever. As for turning down a potential Indy job with McDaniels, "more money" and returning home are what you've got? Ok, so the opportunity to coach Luck, probably work closely with what is considered one of the foremost Offensive minds in the NFL, be at least in part credited with what would have been a resurgent Indy Offense, and play 8 games in a new stadium and in a division where parity seems to win every year that would only advance his career, isn't even part of your equation? 

This marks the end...you've officially gone off the rails, and for whatever reason, have an ax to grind to keep it negative. Fine. Off to your pagan rituals with chasing girls with cold water and whipping them with sticks. 

Did you go to Harvard or something? Give it a rest man.

• Like (+1) 1

They're in a good spot either way... although, I do feel like their Plan A has always been to make a move to grab what they think is their franchise guy. I can't see them trading away Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Taylor, Glenn, acquire all that draft capital and then sit back and wait. The moves they've made indicate an attempt to move up. But... Plan B isn't the worst thing either. Having six selections in the first 96 overall picks is a pretty good consolation prize if they can't move up into the top 4-5 picks to get their guy. They can add some Day 1 starters with some of those picks and maybe take a shot on a 2nd/3rd round QB, throw him in the competition over the summer, etc. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Unless you are the Eagles and you traded to eight and then up to second overall.

If the draft rolls around and you have to make two trades, you are already in trouble. The picks are timed and you only have certain amount of time with potential more challengers to move up. 

If Buffalo wants that second overall they need to move up now or before draft night. Its that simple.

If they don't covet the second overall, which all indications have pointed to then wanting that pick and the Giants being willing to move, then yeah, they don't have to move up now.

Then you should have said “top 2” not “top 10”.  Trading up to 2 in advance is different because there are far fewer variables.

9 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

That’s different. If your goal is to get to 2, then what you’re saying makes some sense, but that wasn’t the premise of the post I was commenting on.

Trade the 3 #1 picks and get your guy.

So what if the Giants draft well with those picks?..........the Chargers got Shawne Merriman who became arguably the best defensive player in the NFL for 3 years and a starting LT in Roman Oben in addition to Philip Rivers in the Eli Manning deal.    Looked initially like a total fail for the Giants as Eli struggled.      But Merriman and Oben flamed out and even if they had not the Giants still found the strength to somehow recover as a roster and win 2 SB's.:lol:

Trade up.......get your guy........and in 4 years the Giants will start losing those draft picks to attrition and FA and you will either be laughing all the way to the playoffs or you will have had a chance at another QB.

Ultimately you are about your QB decisions in the NFL........get busy living or get busy getting fired McBeane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Then you should have said “top 2” not “top 10”.  Trading up to 2 in advance is different because there are far fewer variables.

That’s different. If your goal is to get to 2, then what you’re saying makes some sense, but that wasn’t the premise of the post I was commenting on.

The context of the thread is about Buffalo trading up to the second overall pick with the Giants.

From here on out ill preface every post with what the original topic of discussion was.

Edited by BillsFan17

52 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Il feel better about us taking a QB when we trqde up to 6 or 5.

We might have to wait till draft day tho.

Either way if we end up wit one of the top 4, ill be good with it.

Denver has the 5 and is picking a QB.  Period.

Indy has stated they want to stay in top 10 and to trade with us would have to pass up Chubb or Barkley.  Possible but unlikely IMO.

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

with each passing mock I become less convinced that there is a QB worth trading up for. Stay at 12 and take Jackson

I don't know about Jackson but I agree with the rest of this.  The more I learn about these QBs,  the more concerns I have.

Let's say we can trade up and pick a QB with a 40% chance of being a franchise QB.

Or stay pat at 12 and pick a guy with a 25% chance of being a franchise QB.

Is it worth an improvement of 15% to give away this year's and next year's first round picks? 

You can put in your own numbers but IMHO there isn't a can't-miss QB is this class.   And I just don't think whatever gain in probability we get is worth the price to get it.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't know about Jackson but I agree with the rest of this.  All these guys have flaws and concerns.

Let's say we can trade up and pick a QB with a 40% chance of being a franchise QB.

Or stay pat at 12 and pick a guy with a 25% chance of being a franchise QB.

Is it worth an improvement of 15% to give away these year's and next year's first round picks? 

You can put in your own numbers but IMHO there isn't a can't-miss QB is this class.   And I just don't think whatever gain in probability we get is worth the price to get it.  

If there was a cant miss, with the teams at the top of the draft as is, who would pass on them? 

If all four were Andrew Luck level prospects, how would Buffalo even have a shot?

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

with each passing mock I become less convinced that there is a QB worth trading up for. Stay at 12 and take Jackson

Jackson might not be worth a 1st Round pick with reports of a bad pro day and reports that his mother/agent won't let him interview with teams. 

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Denver has the 5 and is picking a QB.  Period.

Indy has stated they want to stay in top 10 and to trade with us would have to pass up Chubb or Barkley.  Possible but unlikely IMO.

If Denver goes QB at 5 than Vance Joseph better punch his ticket, yet think Elway is going to try and ride the Keenum trail instead of waiting for a rookie QB to develop. 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Wanted Wentz - Nope

wanted Mahomes - Nope

want Rosen - we shall see. Sadly i think I will be watching him for the next decade plus in the Green and White 

https://www.indeed.com/l-New-York,-NY-jobs.html

https://www.elliman.com/new-york-city

https://forums.jetnation.com/forum/5-new-york-jets-message-board/

ROLE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

If there was a cant miss, with the teams at the top of the draft as is, who would pass on them? 

If all four were Andrew Luck level prospects, how would Buffalo even have a shot?

We don't have a shot at a can't miss guy.

We do have a shot at  a number of can-miss guys.  And that's why things are interesting.

We can spend a boatload of draft capital and move up to pick a guy with a - maybe - 40% chance of being a franchise QB.  Or we can spend just our #12 pick to get a guy with a 25% chance of success.  

Someone who's good at game theory could do all the math but to me it makes sense to stand pat.  

This is supposed to be a strong draft.  We can get a decent QB prospect and maybe a couple Pro Bowl players at other positions if we don't trade up.

• Like (+1) 1