What if Cleveland trades their #4 pick for the Giants’ #2 pick?

They could get their QB of choice and get Barkley. They most certainly have the draft capital to do it. Maybe Giants would be interested in that especially if the Bills were willing to trade with them for that #4 pick. The Giants would get massive draft compensation if they wanted to do something like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

They could get their QB of choice and get Barkley. They most certainly have the draft capital to do it. Maybe Giants would be interested in that especially if the Bills were willing to trade with them for that #4 pick. The Giants would get massive draft compensation if they wanted to do something like that. 

I will play along.  Why would Cleveland want to trade up to #2 from #4.

ANSWER -->  So Cleveland would have the best QB and non QB (on their board) in the draft.

# 1 - Cleveland - Quarterback 

# 2 -  New York Football Giants - take QB, take a non QB, trade the pick.  Those are the only 3 options.  Regardless if NYG selects QB or trade the pick it will be a QB.  The last option is they stay there and take the pick of Chubb, Nelson, Barkley, etc.  I would think Chubb and Barkley are in play.  I really only think Chubb is the only non QB option for NYG.

-->  So, 67% chance a QB is selected at #2

# 3 -  New York Jets - Quarterback

# 4 - So, quick math (may or may not be correct)  0%  non QB at #1, 33% non QB at #2, 0% non QB at #3 = 33% divided by 3 = 11% chance top non QB is still available.  Also, if a non QB is selected by the NYG at #2 IMO it is only Chubb or Barkley.  So, divide 11% by 2 players = 5.5%

-->  So, 5.5% chance if the Cleveland Browns want Chubb or Barkley at #4 they will still be there without trading and selecting at #4

In conclusion, I don't think Cleveland would want to trade assets to move from #4 to #2 for those odds.  But, depends on their grading of Chubb or Barkley.  I don't think Barkley should be selected there for so many reasons.  So, depends on the NYG and Browns grades on Chubb!! 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

Barley will be there at 4.  Why would the browns trade up?

If Barkley is there at 4 and I was the Browns I would not want Barkley.  If I am a Browns fan I wouldn't want Barkley.

I think Barkley will fall in this draft.  But, I don't think he should be a top 5 pick either.  I think about his talents vs other in the NFL at RB during draft time and think of two comparisons for draft position.  Adrian Peterson and Ezekiel Elliott.  Not comparing the players styles, but, the value.  They are the only two that have warranted a top 10 pick in a long time (and both worked out for their drafted position).  It takes a different type of team these days to even consider taking a RB in the top of the 1st round.  So, here are the only teams I can see drafting Barkley............

Cleveland - not at #4, if they trade down and have multiple non QBs that interest them

Indianapolis - at #6.  Would pair well with Andrew Luck.  I think Colts need sooo much more.  I think they trade down again

Tampa Bay - at #7.  If QBs are still there the market to trade up may be strong.  I think Tampa Bay trades back

San Fran - at #9.  I think this is where Barkley gets drafted

PICK #12 - If the Bills trade up, this is another spot Barkley could get drafted by the teams above

Just some thoughts.  I think Barkley goes between #6-12.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

Barley will be there at 4.  Why would the browns trade up?

Probably there at 4 but I wouldn’t be so sure.

Giants the way I see it have 4 options.

1. Draft Barkley 

2. Draft chubb

3. Draft a QB

4. Trade down 

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

There are rumors about the Browns swapping down from 1 to the NYG or NYJ.  Then getting their QB at 2 or 3 and still having #4.

A lot of rumors this time of the year.  But, this is interesting to me.

Who would want this rumor to start.  If Cleveland is selecting a QB then nobody can really change that.  So, they pick a QB at #1.

The only team that would want to start this rumor would be Cleveland to drive up the price to trading up to #1.

So, IF the rumor is true, that would mean Cleveland doesn't have a #1 choice for QB OR they think their choice for QB isn't high on others list.  I don't think it is option #2 because Dorsey was brought in to get his QB.  So, no matter where they grade them all I would think they take their #1 choice at #1 unless they don't love any of them.

Does Dorsey not see any separation in some of the top QBs or just LOVE CHUBB or another non QB?

This is interesting to me.......or just blowing smoke!

Regardless, this is setting up to be the most exciting first round in a very long time!!

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Barkley should be a star but RBs can be found anywhere and Cleveland would be dumb to trade up.

8 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

As soon as I heard they had been talking to the Giants I believed this may be what they are trying to do.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Barkley should be a star but RBs can be found anywhere and Cleveland would be dumb to trade up.

Cleveland has so many picks in the 1st two rounds that they may have a lower value of those 2nd rounders.

8 hours ago, PIZ said:

There are rumors about the Browns swapping down from 1 to the NYG or NYJ.  Then getting their QB at 2 or 3 and still having #4.

The Jets don't have much draft capital left to trade up and I can't see the Giants needing to trade up unless they're hell bent on getting 1 particular guy. 

What if....

- Once position player start to slide teams that DON'T need a QB trade up to nab them while they can. A team like the Raiders jumping to 4 to snatch Chubb/Nelson from the Broncos.

- A team that no one thought of moved up to take a QB...much like KC did last year.

- We get the 5th QB off the board and it turns out he becomes the best pro QB?

- We get the 1st QB off the board and he flops?

- We sit at 12 and have the chance to pick a guy touted as a future HoF OG has slid down the draft?

- The first 3 and 5 of the first 6 picks are QBs?

- What if the Giants and Broncos both pass on QBs because they feel upgrades to a different position and someone like Mike White in the 2nd are better for them?

- What if every trade up opportunity we have is not a trade that makes the team better in Beane's eyes?

Point being on draft night anything can happen, and likely several things will happen that no one saw coming. All the guesswork from members of this and other fanbases as well as the "expert opinions" are likely to be out the window very early when the unexpected can and does happen. One of my favorite quotes goes something like "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Let's hope when the punches start to get thrown out staff can readapt their plans into something that make this draft a successful one.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Manther said:

If Barkley is there at 4 and I was the Browns I would not want Barkley.  If I am a Browns fan I wouldn't want Barkley.

I think Barkley will fall in this draft.  But, I don't think he should be a top 5 pick either.  I think about his talents vs other in the NFL at RB during draft time and think of two comparisons for draft position.  Adrian Peterson and Ezekiel Elliott.  Not comparing the players styles, but, the value.  They are the only two that have warranted a top 10 pick in a long time (and both worked out for their drafted position).  It takes a different type of team these days to even consider taking a RB in the top of the 1st round.  So, here are the only teams I can see drafting Barkley............

Cleveland - not at #4, if they trade down and have multiple non QBs that interest them

Indianapolis - at #6.  Would pair well with Andrew Luck.  I think Colts need sooo much more.  I think they trade down again

Tampa Bay - at #7.  If QBs are still there the market to trade up may be strong.  I think Tampa Bay trades back

San Fran - at #9.  I think this is where Barkley gets drafted

PICK #12 - If the Bills trade up, this is another spot Barkley could get drafted by the teams above

Just some thoughts.  I think Barkley goes between #6-12.

This makes all the sense in the world. The Browns already have a better than decent RB. What they don't have is Joe Thomas. If I am them, spending big on a rookie QB, I do everything I can to shore up the O line. But we shall see. This is the Browns.

Think of who the GM is now... Dorsey.  Last year with KC he traded up to get Mahomes, didn't worry about a RB until Rd3 and found Hunt.  He came to Cleveland to get a QB, not saying he wouldn't take Barkley at 4 if he's there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he passed on Barkley still at 4 with what they already have at RB and took Chubb if available, or maybe Nelson or Fitzpatrick

8 minutes ago, Jeebus said:

Think of who the GM is now... Dorsey.  Last year with KC he traded up to get Mahomes, didn't worry about a RB until Rd3 and found Hunt.  He came to Cleveland to get a QB, not saying he wouldn't take Barkley at 4 if he's there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he passed on Barkley still at 4 with what they already have at RB and took Chubb if available, or maybe Nelson or Fitzpatrick

Totally agree!

Trading from 4 to 2 would be monumentally stupid - like 2017 Chicago Bears stupid. If the Giants are taking Barkley/Chubb at 2, they're not going to trade. If the Giants don't take Barkley/Chubb at 2, one or the other will still be there at 4. The Jests are taking the wrong QB at 3.

There is no universe where trading to 2 makes any sense for the Browns, short of irrationally panicking that the Giants are going to trade out of 2 to a team that wants whatever player they're targeting (which, again, would be monumentally stupid, as no one is likely going to trade from 5+ up to 2 for Barkley or Chubb.) Even assuming that someone leaped into 2 and picked one, the Browns still get either the best RB or the best pass rusher at 4, without wasting picks to move up.

Edited by Koko78

What if?

I do not see the logic in that trade scenario. They are going QB at 1, The Giants are either taking a QB or trading to a team that needs a QB. The Jets are taking a QB,so they would still get Barkley at 4. Barkley’s a good player but RBs are a dime a dozen in this league. Don’t be surprised to see Barkley drop down the board a little.

What happens,happens. If the Bills can make a trade they will. There’s not a whole bunch they can do. The Giants are likely taking a QB anyway.  Cleveland will likely stay with their two picks, unless we offer them a huge deal, even then it might not be possible because they have way too many picks this draft. 

The Broncos are the key here. If they do not want a QB then we may be able to deal with them. If the Broncos take a QB then we are kind of screwed, unless they take Rudolph or Jackson.

Indys pick is probably in play as well. 

There’s little our team can do unless teams are willing to move back,then we have ammo against a trade up against Miami and Arizona. I think we easily win that battle.

If by some chance the Giants go to 4,then we might be able to pry that pick from them but I just don’t think it will happen.

Edited by dlonce

What if the world ends the day before the draft? What if the plane carrying all these players to the draft crashes and burns? What if you walk outside today and get attacked by a rabid pit bull? What if you cross the street and get ran over by a bus?

Who cares what if...

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Why would the Browns select Barkley with either of their top 5 picks,  when they just signed Carlos Hyde(who is in his prime) to a 3 year deal?

The RB class is pretty deep and they might be able to score a Hunt or Kamara caliber player in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

I already thought of this in a post I started a week ago where there would be a 3-way trade between the Giants Cleveland and buffalo I thought it was a great idea I guess most people don't think like you and I so sad for them

• Like (+1) 1