Get creative in trade with Giants: Include OBJ and Hughes

Given the price paid by the Jets (which was too much IMHO),  just including draft picks from this year is never going to clinch it in a trade-up with the Giants. Clearly the sticking point will be the inclusion of next year's #1. I am wondering if a trade like this will get the job done.

Bills trade #12, #22, # 53, #56, next year's #1 and Jerry Hughes  for #2, and OBJ.

Giants get a replacement for JPP. And anyway, they are shopping OBJ. By trading him to the Bills, they at least keep him out of the NFC. Bills, besides getting their QB of the future (not named Darnold)  make up for their loss of extra draft capital by instantly turning their wideout weakness into strength with OBJ. With the abundance of cap space next year, they can easily structure an OBJ extension. And given OBJ's price, it is not like they have a steal going forward with him. It is not like the last four years. It gives them considerable Cap breathing room as well. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3

I’ll get about as creative as not trading for Beckham Jr. 

I understand he’s an immense talent. But all I see and hear is him talking about himself. The team (nor I personally), want that on my team. They just spent a year ditching most of the guys they felt had that type of attitude, or the injury history that Beckham has as well (see: Dareus, Marcell and Watkins, Sammy). 

• Like (+1) 2

While I’m sure it won’t happen, that would certainly make for an entertaining season.  We would likely have a fun offense that would put up a few 300 yard passing games (normal for most teams, rare for us).  

With that being said, I’m curious if anyone else felt this way last year.  We made the playoffs and won 9 games, but was last year perhaps one of the more boring seasons we have had in a while?  I feel like the Tampa and Oakland games were the most entertaining (sure we won so that helped), but in 7 other wins, it was just blah.  We won so that was great and I always root for wins.  But if we had an offense that gave us hope, I almost feel like 6-7 wins will actually be more entertaining than the 9 we had last year.  

Edited by billsfan5121

Just to complete the thought use our 3rd rounders this year to draft an ILB (say a Darius Leonard or a Malik Jefferson) and an offensive lineman (say Connor Williams / Martinas Rankin). And get a backup RB / CB / STers in the later rounds / UDFAs making it as complete a football lineup as we have seen in recent years. 

The only cost to this plan is no #1 next year - but I feel it will be worth it.

trading for OBJ is contingent on him signing a long term deal with your team, otherwise he won't step foot on the field.  do you really think he is signing long term to play in BUFFALO with AJ MCCARRON as the QB?  get real

I don't think he's the type of player McDermott wants here.  In addition it seems based on what he's said that Beane wants to have a balanced roster with regards to salary cap implications.  OBJ wants to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL and he might get it ... but not in Buffalo.

Just now, Virgil said:

You going to pay him the 16+ mil a year he wants?

gotta break an egg to make an omelette kinda thinking. We will have a few years where we underpay the QB and can afford to pay arguably a top 3 wideout 16 mill a year, no? Heck, Sammy got 16 a year and Robinson 14 a year man. OBJ worth 16 a year easily - just Giants are so capped out partly due to Eli's, Olivier Vernon's and Solder's salaries.

8 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

They quickly shipped of Sammy because behind the scenes, very quietly, he wasn't in line with their new culture. But OBJ will be? Love the talent, not seeing them contradicting themselves on this one though.

a little revisionist history, no? I didnt hear anything bad about Sammy's attitude during McBeane's time. The option decline was primarily due to his inability to stay healthy - nothing about attitude man.

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

trading for OBJ is contingent on him signing a long term deal with your team, otherwise he won't step foot on the field.  do you really think he is signing long term to play in BUFFALO with AJ MCCARRON as the QB?  get real

If you dont believe the #2 will snag you a QB people want to play with, you shdnt even be thinking of a GIants trade no?

42 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Given the price paid by the Jets (which was too much IMHO),  just including draft picks from this year is never going to clinch it in a trade-up with the Giants. Clearly the sticking point will be the inclusion of next year's #1. I am wondering if a trade like this will get the job done.

Bills trade #12, #22, # 53, #56, next year's #1 and Jerry Hughes  for #2, and OBJ.

Giants get a replacement for JPP. And anyway, they are shopping OBJ. By trading him to the Bills, they at least keep him out of the NFC. Bills, besides getting their QB of the future (not named Darnold)  make up for their loss of extra draft capital by instantly turning their wideout weakness into strength with OBJ. With the abundance of cap space next year, they can easily structure an OBJ extension. And given OBJ's price, it is not like they have a steal going forward with him. It is not like the last four years. It gives them considerable Cap breathing room as well. 

I would hate this trade so much.  

THREE first round picks...TWO second round picks...our only pass rushing DE really on the roster...to get who and OBJ?  NO QB in this draft is worth that...not to mention, OBJ wants to be paid close to $20M PER SEASON yet has serious attitude concerns and is NOT durable.  

I would literally puke if we did this.  ESPECIALLY since we can probably land OBJ for #22 and KB if thats who we really wanted, which I would bet there is no chance Beane wants any part of OBJ, his injury issues, his attitude and most importantly...his contract demands.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t want that dude here. Don’t like

his health, attitude, or contract he will want. 

He Is Not Coming Here. The polar opposite of what Beane/McD are trying to build.

To McD... attitude is everything. I believe he'd rather have a group of misfits that are out to prove they belong and willing to sacrifice individual accolades for the betterment of this team. Look what we did with cast offs last year. Beckham is not that. He's a prima donna, me-first egotist. Amazing at football, no doubt. But not what we want in Buffalo.

(He's on my dynasty FF team, so I am watching this closely)

Just now, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

He Is Not Coming Here. The polar opposite of what Beane/McD are trying to build.

To McD... attitude is everything. I believe he'd rather have a group of misfits that are out to prove they belong and willing to sacrifice individual accolades for the betterment of this team. Look what we did with cast offs last year. Beckham is not that. He's a prima donna, me-first egotist. Amazing at football, no doubt. But not what we want in Buffalo.

(He's on my dynasty FF team, so I am watching this closely)

Like how McCoy was?

This culture stuff is BS.  Personally, I don’t want Beckham. He is too much. But gimme a break with this stuff.  We had a Jauron type season and got completely lucky. It’s awesome but these team needs serious talent because they got rid of a lot.  Now we have stone handed wrs trying to fight their brother naked not getting disciplined. 

9 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

If you dont believe the #2 will snag you a QB people want to play with, you shdnt even be thinking of a GIants trade no?

It will take at least 1 full season for the QB to prove he is any good and deserving of that kind of respect. Year 1 is growing pains and figuring things out. Year 2 is when you are expecting to win

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Like how McCoy was?

This culture stuff is BS.  Personally, I don’t want Beckham. He is too much. But gimme a break with this stuff.  We had a Jauron type season and got completely lucky. It’s awesome but these team needs serious talent because they got rid of a lot.  Now we have stone handed wrs trying to fight their brother naked not getting disciplined. 

I agree, WR is a big need, which is why I wouldn't rule out one in the first and think we certainly take one with our first 4 picks in the first 2 rounds if we don't use them all to trade up.  

But, I disagree about the Culture thing.  I mean they just created a big hole at DT and gave Dareus away because of this mid season.  And teams do not want guys around that can be cancers either.  Some will look at a player and believe they can reach him and control them, others wont take the chance.  All depends on the staff and FO opinion on the matter.  Its why guys like TO never had a long list of teams wanting to sign him...its why Kap is not employed even as a backup right now...its why Suh didnt have more interested teams.  

The locker room, attitude, distractions, etc very much matters to a lot of GM's and HC's...and Beane and McD are guys that so far have shown to value that as part of their decision making process.  I dont think its the ONLY thing they look at of course, but it certainly factors in IMO.

So count me in the camp that sees OBJ as a guy that Beane isn't going to go after.  Doesn't mean they wouldn't like having his talents here...but its more than just talent with OBJ.  Its bad attitude.  Its durability concerns.  Its the massive contract he wants.  Its the cost in assets it would take to acquire him.  You add all that together, and to me it tells me he's not Beane's guy if I had to make a wager.

And McCoy was never the person OBJ is from an attitude issue...and McD-Beane were all in Carolina when we traded for McCoy in the first place.

no, No and friggin NO.

Why would anyone even consider the vastly overrated and over hyped because of one catch Odell?  He’s a cancer,period.

Forget the fantasy sceanarios, the Giants are not trading back to 12.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dlonce said:

no, No and friggin NO.

Why would anyone even consider the vastly overrated and over hyped because of one catch Odell?  He’s a cancer,period.

Forget the fantasy sceanarios, the Giants are not trading back to 12.

I actually can’t stand him either, nor do I want him in buffalo (I’d root for him if he was though), but I’m not so sure he is overrated.  He has put up HOF numbers to start his career.  Yes, the media loves to talk about him.  But his numbers do back up the hype.  

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I’ll get about as creative as not trading for Beckham Jr. 

I understand he’s an immense talent. But all I see and hear is him talking about himself. The team (nor I personally), want that on my team. They just spent a year ditching most of the guys they felt had that type of attitude, or the injury history that Beckham has as well (see: Dareus, Marcell and Watkins, Sammy). 

Exactly,  another big headed premadonna diva wr. McD doesn't touch that headache. We need to get 2 without involving OBJ.

5 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

we need a good quarterback if we want a receiver like OBJ. We need to get our main priorities done first.

We would need a qb who would throw it deep unlike Tyrod.  

I think it's going to take 3 to tango for Bills to get into the top 5, and even perhaps to #2. I think it's going to have to include the browns somehow. The good news is Beane has been active with Cleveland and we know his history with Gettleman. 

If that includes some ridiculous-never-been-done-before-blockbuster including OBJ (or others), so be it. I just think it's so hard to make that work. The second OBJ leaves the Giants is the second Eli is pointless as the QB. He is a different QB when OBJ is on the field. If some crazy deal gets OBJ out of NYG and Gettleman stockpiles firsts this year and next, then he can just ride Eli into a 3-13 season and have a ton of ammo in '19. Tough sell though if he doesn't come out of his first draft with a top tier QB. He'd get annihilated by NY if he moves OBJ on draft day and doesn't come home with Darnold.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/odell-beckham-market-heats-prospect-giant-trade-real-article-1.3896518

Ha!

— The Buffalo Bills: GM Brandon Beane worked with Gettleman in Carolina, so there is a pre-existing relationship. Beane’s and Sean McDermott’s club also might have the best draft capital to swing a deal, owning the 12th and 22nd overall picks in the first round and also two second-rounders. Beckham would help out AJ McCarron and a likely rookie quarterback draft pick immensely.

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I like most of the elements of this deal.  I don't have a problem throwing in a 1st in 2019.  However  the trade should not include our first 2nd round choice.  If you break the trade down it's Bills 12th pick and next yrs 1st and pick 56 for the Giants Number 2.  Then it's Bills 22nd and Hughes for OBJ.

That sounds very fair to me.

• Like (+1) 1