How Did Manziel Suddenly Become Relevant?

Irv

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

• Like (+1) 1

That's a big if, mental health and substance abuse issues, even if they are no longer concerns, may never allow him an opportunity again. 

He's a 1st rounder who only started 8 games, I'm not sure you can even say he was a bust on the field, and that may be the only reason he gets another chance? 

Kap is clearly getting blacklisted, that's been obvious for a while now. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Irv said:

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

Put him through a table?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

That's a big if, mental health and substance abuse issues, even if they are no longer concerns, may never allow him an opportunity. 

He's a 1st rounder who only started 8 games, I'm not sure you can even say he was a bust on the field, and that may be the only reason he gets another chance? 

Nothing illegal about him not being signed.

Private corporation can absolutely choose to not employ somebody if they feel there is negative press surrounding that person, which could affect the business.

• Like (+1) 2

He isn't. 

A 24 hour sports news cycle needs something to talk about.  Plain and simple.

And you're a low IQ mouth breather if you want to believe Kaepernick has anything to do with Manziel.  They're both bums who had a chance and didn't make it based on play alone. 

Edited by Boyst62
  • Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Irv said:

More than half the teams in the NFL have crappy QB situations.  I think that's why he's relevant.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

More than half the teams in the NFL have crappy QB situations.  I think that's why he's relevant.

This.  And Manziel really isnt a known entity on the field.  His off the field situation was bad, but his sample size on the field is relatively small.  I would assume a 25 year old former 1st round pick as a project is a little more enticing than a 30 year old quarterback who has started close to 60 games.  They are totally different situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Irv said:

Doesn't confirm anything. Perhaps that owners around the league feel that the guy is bad for business . He's mediocre and too controversial. Manziel was self destructive with his substance abuse etc but he claims he's been diagnosed with mental issues. He will garner sympathy from some fans, and he's not going to " protest" anything on the sidelines. At least not that they know of. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

That's a big if, mental health and substance abuse issues, even if they are no longer concerns, may never allow him an opportunity again. 

Kap is being blacklisted because he wants starter money, and will cost a team even more money because of his actions(the kneeling, the pro Fidel Castro stuff, and the cop as a pig socks). Whether you agree or disagree, it's a business and he didn't look like a starter his last year.

I think Johnnys got the off field stuff handled. What he brings to a team on the field? Not much from what I've seen. However, we really should be shaking every tree we see. Johnny, Kap, RG3... idk. McCarron goes down and we're stuck with a Rook or Peterman? We can wave goodbye to a winning season right there.

IK the above mentioned names all carry media burdens but McD seems like the type a guy to rise above all that. Benching Taylor for Peterman was not a popular decision and he took a lot of heat. However, it worked two fold. We saw that Peterman isn't the answer and it motivated Taylor, enough so that we snuck into the playoffs. 

Lions dont lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Right now he's just the go to guy for opinion when players go crazy, like when Zay Jones' incident happen.

The guy likes the limelight and it's generally entertaining an odd way. That said any team that signs him is crazy however we should look at taking a shot on that other guy Billy Vegas. 

GYOx2Abf_400x400.jpg

You never know with how desperate NFL teams are to find their QB... but I'll be a bit surprised if any team takes a chance on Manziel yet. I believe I read that he only has all of 3 months sober. 

Those first few few months of sobriety can be like the "honeymoon phase" where being newly clean and clear headed feels great. Then that feeling wears off and the cravings are still there - that's when we find out if Manziel is for real about wanting to stay sober. We wont know until he hits some bumps in the road.

I'm not sure the NFL is the best place for him right now anyway, for his long term sobriety. All the pressure, the easy access to pain meds from team doctors, and drugs in general that can come with a famous lifestyle (from team docs, fellow players, wanna-be's who like to hang with famous people etc etc)... 

43 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Private corporation can absolutely choose to not employ somebody if they feel there is negative press surrounding that person, which could affect the business.

Very True. I think he is capable of being on a NFL roster and being an improvement over some guys, although I'm not surprised he isnt on a roster at all.

Unfortunately for him when he took the knee, he was going to face consequences. This is the most glaring one

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Irv said:

No it wouldn't.  Kaepernick isn't getting signed because he's a divisive player and a PR nightmare.   Manziel hasn't been signed because he has a poor track record - on and off the field - and crappy mechanics.  They are two very different situations and each needs to be evaluated separately.  

If Manziel gets signed, it means that some team thinks his problems might be behind him.  

I don't think Roger and the NFL are blacklisting Kap.  I think that individual owners are all reaching the same conclusion on him: just not worth the baggage.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Kap is being blacklisted because he wants starter money, and will cost a team even more money because of his actions(the kneeling, the pro Fidel Castro stuff, and the cop as a pig socks). Whether you agree or disagree, it's a business and he didn't look like a starter his last year.

55 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

The league is ultimately talent driven, and teams will put up with all sorts of BS if a player can perform on the field.  

Now, I don't think Kaps actions were BS, but I know many people disagree.

I simply find it shocking that teams are signing trash heap players like TJ Yates, Keith Wenning and Joe Webb but can't find a spot for Kap. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

The league is ultimately talent driven, and teams will put up with all sorts of BS if a player can perform on the field.  

I simply find it shocking that teams are signing trash heap players like TJ Yates, Keith Wenning and Joe Webb but can't find a spot for Kap. 

I think some of his actions were bs early on (the cop-pig socks for example).

I think when some teammates and vets reached out to him in support, and requested he kneel instead of sit, and he did so, I was like "that's cool" and he calmed down with some of the over the top stuff he was doing early on.

I was just saying that, as a league driven by profits, who has a majority conservative fan-base, the NFL is well within it's right to deny hiring somebody who might bring negative press.

Look at the antics of some players, as their talent/production diminishes, they tend to have shortened careers.

TO, ochocinco, Ray Rice are good examples.

They all could have been 2nd or 3rd string players for another 3-5 years, but their antics caused them to be not worth the headache.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Jeez, let's at least give Manziel a chance to make a comeback. He seems to have done many things to get his life together and deserves our encouragement not our scorn. 

No scorn, but he deserves nothing. He was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft and he flushed that opportunity down the drain.

As someone who has dealt with mental illness myself, I hope he gets his life back together. But he, like me, doesn't deserve anything. I had to go get my next opportunity and so does he.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

Ridiculous as he can play, but there is no question he is blacklisted due to the kneeling.

• Like (+1) 1

In all reality though, it's debatable how " relevant" Manziel really is. He was an " arm" at a pro day, and by most accounts looked pretty good. Nothing more than that. He's trying to get another shot, but it's not exactly in the works just yet. 

1 hour ago, Irv said:

B.c you made a new thread about him... Duh

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

He's a cancer to the business side of the NFL, and was figured out by D coordinators after the initial success. It's not ridiculous at all. It's reality. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Adding to what I said before

I think kaep protested himself outta the league, but was not good quality starter material anyway, and the fact that he said he would only start (early on) was what doomed him on combination with the protesting/media. 

Happened to Tebow also.

Many teams don't want the drama.

Unless the Bills don't draft a QB in the 1st round, I fail to see how Manziel fits with the Bills! They have McCarron and Peterson. Of course if they still only have 2 QBs after the draft, or if Manziel somehow agreed to no guarantees and he can be cut before game 1, then it can make sense. 

Just now, Jerome007 said:

Unless the Bills don't draft a QB in the 1st round, I fail to see how Manziel fits with the Bills! They have McCarron and Peterson. Of course if they still only have 2 QBs after the draft, or if Manziel somehow agreed to no guarantees and he can be cut before game 1, then it can make sense. 

Manziel has already stated that he would take a contract with no guaranteed $ in the NFL. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

He's a cancer to the business side of the NFL, and was figured out by D coordinators after the initial success. It's not ridiculous at all. It's reality. 

I agree on the first part but disagree on the second.  16 TDs and 4 Ints 6.80 YPA 907 rate in 11 games in 2016 on a dumpster fire team with a coach with one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

I get the political/marketing problem but the stats just don't bear out that he's been figured out by defensive cocoordinators , shut down, and made ineffective.

51 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I look foward to the day that Tebow, Manziel, and Kaepernick are too old to be discussed on this board as QB options. 

Only to be replaced with 3 more what ifs