Giants Trade DE Jason Pierre-Paul to Bucs for a 3rd and swap of 4th's

Another blockbuster trade: Giants trading DE Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick, source tells ESPN.

this might impact our chances of trading up if they already have an extra 3rd round pick.  they might want Chubb as a replacement so they will need to stay in the top 5 to ensure that.  but my hope is they are conceding that they will not be selecting a QB so the smart move is to trade down

Edited by kdiggz

1. The #Bucs are trading for #Giants pass-rusher Jason Pierre-Paul, source confirms (as @AdamSchefter said).

Now that the Giants have traded Jason Pierre-Paul to the Buccaneers, maybe they consider Bradley Chubb at No. 2.

2 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Yolo what was the cap hit for JPP and how did kdigzz break this news before you

and high level meetings!

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Dang, I dont like them acquiring picks. That means they need ours less.

They only got one 3rd. They swapped 4ths.

OK Yolo hear me out.  Putting Salary cap numbers aside, could the Giants making this move be indicative of a trade offer the bills have on the table which would include Jerry Hughes.  Jerry Hughes Is around 10 million against cap correct? So the cap Numbers would be a wash.  They are both 29 years old so age isnt factor.  But of the Giants knew they could net two decent draft picks for JPP, with the knowledge that they would just be replacing him with Jerry Hughes it could make sense  as part of a trade up package

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

OK Yolo hear me out.  Putting Salary cap numbers aside, could the Giants making this move be indicative of a trade offer the bills have on the table which would include Jerry Hughes.  Jerry Hughes Is around 10 million against cap correct? So the cap Numbers would be a wash.  They are both 29 years old so age isnt factor.  But of the Giants knew they could net two decent draft picks for JPP, with the knowledge that they would just be replacing him with Jerry Hughes it could make sense

Nah I think Hughes is a better fit in a 4-3 but who knows 

at first i was upset by this news, but now that i am examining the details this might be a good thing.  they only received a 3rd so that's not enough to disuade them from trading back and collecting more picks.  also, by trading him they are saying we are going to get the right pieces to fit our 3-4 defense in the draft so they will want more picks to be able to do so.  at the very least, it says that they checked out the QB's and after doing so they have decided that it will not be high on their priority list so they will be addressing other areas of need and this is the first move in doing so.

Edited by kdiggz

So many ways to look at this......

Opens up another hole in a team that is full of holes. An additional 3rd rounder won't get you an impact-full DE that can pressure the QB unless they get lucky. Opens up the possibility of moving down drafting an impact-full DE like Marcus Davenport at 12 (a younger, cheaper Jason Pierre-Paul), and still have another 1st with Bills pick 22, 2 seconds, and now 3 thirds.

• Like (+1) 2

This is not necessarily bad news for Buffalo.

If they did it for Chubb it means we can rule out them either taking a QB or trading out to someone else that wants one. So Darnold goes 1 and Chubb 2. It really wouldn't shock me to see the Jets go Allen at 3. I'd think Browns would either be open for trade or go Barkley at 4. This all drops Nelson to the Broncos at 5 and they possible go Mike White or Falk or Lauletta later on. That would put Indy at 6 without a chance at Chubb, possibly open for business far cheaper than getting to 2 where we can move for Rosen if he's the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thanks for the attempt at optimism. I have been very pessimistic since the Jets trade up and remain so. #12 is  huge problem to overcome with a limited number of Elite prospects at the top.

scenarios I don't like:

1. Darnold goes first, Rosen second, Mayfield third we are !@#$ed with the guys who could play soon.

2. Darnold, Barkley goes 2, Rosen goes 3, Chubb to Browns, Mayfield to Broncos

3.Darnold, Chubb, Rosen, Barkley, Mayfield

I think we are big trouble unless you want Allen perhaps. I don't this high.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

i know a lot of people are now saying Chubb is their target but how about Marcus Davenport who should be available at 12?  stand up DE who would fit a 3-4

You might have nailed that....They can have Shaq as well

Edited by Reed83HOF