Bills have private workout with Baker Mayfield

3 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Aaron Rogers is only an inch taller than Baker

Aaron is 6’1”.

I am going off what the Beane said 9 months ago with wanting a 6’4” QB being ideal.

Interesting Rodgers is 6’1”.  I thought he was 6’3” or 6’4”

1 hour ago, Tcali said:

sounds like you bought the koolaid. flutie aint close to 5 10. more like 5 8. I have stood next to guys 6 6 and a half--and they are a head taller than me at slightly over 6 1.

everyone who has seen mayfield knows he isnt near 6 1. But relax it doesnt matter. Can the guy play football?? I like Mayfield more than any of the other prospect exc possibly Dee Arnold

1 hour ago, Zac said:

are people seriously suggesting that combine measurements are wrong?

Seriously Zac.  How are people arguing measurements that just happened a month ago done by the NFL in a controlled environment and with witnesses from the entire league.  He was measured at almost 6'1 by the NFL not Oklahoma.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

The human head isn't 5" tall

Pull out a dollar bill

That is 6" exactly

The average human head is between 8-9"

So, if you are 6'1" then you are claiming flutie is 5'5"-5'6"

So like I said

You're exaggerating

my head is only 6" tall

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What are you talking about!? He makes most of his plays in the pocket.

Do you have that video?  

Because In this one there wasn’t one snap from under center, he didn’t climb the pocket, and on anything that wasn’t a deep throw the line opened a throwing lane showing that it was a prescribed throw and there were a number of rollouts too.

i think this kid is going to have a hard time with a prostyle offense. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mayfield looks like Russ Wilson but softer . Needs a good strength and conditioning coach. 

That's the thing. He's got a sloppy body and not near the speed and athleticism of Wilson. I like him, but the combination of small and slow gives me major pause. 

I also dont don't like the fiery stuff from my quarterback. The Rivers stuff always pissed me off as well as all of Brady's crap. I never liked that kind of stuff. I really wouldn't mind him if he fell in that 7-12 rang but not in a trade up that costs us that other first. 

I also dont don't think Beane will draft him, based on everything he has said about quarterbacks for the past year. Only guys who fit his mold to a tee are Darnold and Rosen. 

11 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

nice snappy release. this guy's gonna be great!

Yep, All this squaking about his height is ridiculous, I watched most all of his games this year and he stayed it.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Do you have that video?  

Because In this one there wasn’t one snap from under center, he didn’t climb the pocket, and on anything that wasn’t a deep throw the line opened a throwing lane showing that it was a prescribed throw and there were a number of rollouts too.

i think this kid is going to have a hard time with a prostyle offense. 

In the pocket doesn't mean under center. He didn't need to step up but he can when need be.

prostyle offenses are now catering to what college QBs can do and now we finally have an OC that can do it 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep, All this squaking about his height is ridiculous, I watched most all of his games this year and he stayed it.

In the pocket doesn't mean under center. He didn't need to step up but he can when need be.

prostyle offenses are now catering to what college QBs can do and now we finally have an OC that can do it 

so bet the farm on a system guy that the bills need to run Alabama’s offense for? 

You can find those guys later later in the first round or the second 

they may as as well just stick with AJ. He was great in college too. 

If Bakers is their guy Bills should just trade a fourth to Washington for colt McCoy 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

14 hours ago, Manther said:

Aaron is 6’1”.

I am going off what the Beane said 9 months ago with wanting a 6’4” QB being ideal.

Interesting Rodgers is 6’1”.  I thought he was 6’3” or 6’4”

Not to split hairs, but wiki says Rogers 6ft2, Mayfield 6ft1, although the combine measured him 6 ft 3/8 inches

It's all relative though, this height thing going on with mayfield is absolutely ridiculous 

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

Less than ideal height is just less than ideal. I like Mayfield, he just isn't my favorite. I want a guy that can take his 5-7 step drops, step up into a collapsing pocket and throw the ball all over the field. I think sometimes people don't take that into account. For example, Tyrod just never stepped up into the pocket and made throws when things were breaking down, as we on TV and in the stands see wide open guys all over the place. Itś because he couldn't see them. Plays are designed with teh idea that teh quarterback will be in the pocket, routes, angles, everything. When things break down, it is nice to have a guy who can scramble, but that just doesn't win Super Bowls. Now Mayfield is the better passer by a long shot, but his height is less than ideal. I think Mayfield will have early success, like RG3 and DeShaun Watson because coaches will likely adapt a lot of the RPO stuff that he was doing in college. That stuff just doesn't last long, and once he has to become a more traditional quarterback he will be done. Just like RG3 and just like what I forsee for DeShaun Watson.  

Based on everything Beane has said, he seems to want a guy that can stand tall in the pocket and throw strikes with pressure in his face. Does that mean you pass on Mayfield if he is there at 12, no...but I don think there is any way he is the target for a trade up. With Darnold likely going one, Iḿ guessing they want Rosen or Allen. 

50 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Less than ideal height is just less than ideal. I like Mayfield, he just isn't my favorite. I want a guy that can take his 5-7 step drops, step up into a collapsing pocket and throw the ball all over the field. I think sometimes people don't take that into account. For example, Tyrod just never stepped up into the pocket and made throws when things were breaking down, as we on TV and in the stands see wide open guys all over the place. Itś because he couldn't see them. Plays are designed with teh idea that teh quarterback will be in the pocket, routes, angles, everything. When things break down, it is nice to have a guy who can scramble, but that just doesn't win Super Bowls. Now Mayfield is the better passer by a long shot, but his height is less than ideal. I think Mayfield will have early success, like RG3 and DeShaun Watson because coaches will likely adapt a lot of the RPO stuff that he was doing in college. That stuff just doesn't last long, and once he has to become a more traditional quarterback he will be done. Just like RG3 and just like what I forsee for DeShaun Watson.  

Based on everything Beane has said, he seems to want a guy that can stand tall in the pocket and throw strikes with pressure in his face. Does that mean you pass on Mayfield if he is there at 12, no...but I don think there is any way he is the target for a trade up. With Darnold likely going one, Iḿ guessing they want Rosen or Allen. 

Mayfield was the second best college QB this past season while under pressure. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Mayfield was the second best college QB this past season while under pressure. 

Thatś fine. Itś a stat. Pressure in college is very different from pressure in the NFL, when all 11 guys on defense are studs. Not some dudes from Tulsa. 

30 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thatś fine. Itś a stat. Pressure in college is very different from pressure in the NFL, when all 11 guys on defense are studs. Not some dudes from Tulsa. 

So then by your standard anyone who finished below him won't be able to adjust to NFL pressure seeing as how they weren't able to do it in college as well....

On 3/21/2018 at 12:11 PM, Boatdrinks said:

I like Mayfield a lot. More than most here, probably. I'd be ecstatic if the Bills were able to draft him, but I don't see it happening. 

I do too. I just think he's the lowest on Beane's board for "process" reasons, if you catch my drift.

Just now, peterpan said:

Quoting erroneous college stats means nothing and kinda shows how little ones knows......

So if someone says a guy struggled completing passes from the pocket in college how should I prove or disprove that claim? 

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

So they’d look at how often he threw a catchable ball to his team while in the pocket. 

Making it sound that simple is disingenuous.  They look very closely at ball placement and timing. They look at movement within the pocket and foot work. For Mayfield, all of those things I mentioned project somewhere between needs work and  very poorly to the NFL. Sure it worked in college, but the NFL graveyard is littered with guys with Mayfield's college stats. 

25 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Making it sound that simple is disingenuous.  They look very closely at ball placement and timing. They look at movement within the pocket and foot work. For Mayfield, all of those things I mentioned project somewhere between needs work and  very poorly to the NFL. Sure it worked in college, but the NFL graveyard is littered with guys with Mayfield's college stats. 

He set the records for completion % and YPA and then broke his own records. There is no one with his stats. His ball placment and accuracy was ahead of everyone’s at all levels of the field, under pressure and not, in and out of the pocket. That consistency is because of good mechanics. So yes he does drift towards pressure too often. But his accuracy is elite. 

On 3/23/2018 at 8:54 AM, bobobonators said:

Baker mayfield will either be a complete bust or a stud for years. I dont see middle ground. Ryan Leaf or Russel Wilson. No inbetween. 

I'm betting bust - wait until that personality meets a little cash. Buffalo ain't big enough for Broadway Baker. 

We need this guy in a Bills uniform. He's my #1 QB now. I was torn between him and Darnold but the more I think about Darnold, the more I think he is going to be a slightly better Jay Cutler in the NFL (consistency issues). Which isn't bad but still isn't good enough.

13 minutes ago, Looper said:

I'm betting bust - wait until that personality meets a little cash. Buffalo ain't big enough for Broadway Baker. 

The guy is from Texas and played at Oklahoma. Plus, with social media these days anyone can become a star anywhere. If they desire to become one. That stuff isn't a big concern for me. I'd be more worried about a guy like Rosen in that aspect for sure.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We need this guy in a Bills uniform. He's my #1 QB now. I was torn between him and Darnold but the more I think about Darnold, the more I think he is going to be a slightly better Jay Cutler in the NFL (consistency issues). Which isn't bad but still isn't good enough.

The guy is from Texas and played at Oklahoma. Plus, with social media these days anyone can become a star anywhere. If they desire to become one. That stuff isn't a big concern for me. I'd be more worried about a guy like Rosen in that aspect for sure.

Rosen's already rich.  Are we still holding that against him?

1 minute ago, stony said:

Not sure it applies to Rosen, but something to be said for having a secure financial future whether you make it or not in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, stony said:

Nothing to do with wealth. Poster I was quoting was holding the desire to be famous against Mayfield and him not sticking around or being all in with Buffalo. The same can at least be said and held against Rosen as a possible negative.

Nothing to do with wealth. Poster I was quoting was holding the desire to be famous against Mayfield and him not sticking around or being all in with Buffalo. The same can at least be said and held against Rosen as a possible negative.

I don't want any QB with a personality remotely similar to Johnny Manziel, be it Rosen or Mayfield. 

Behind Baker ... seriously from a guy who's never played a game in the NFL ? 

Edited by Looper

2 minutes ago, Looper said:

I don't want any QB with a personality remotely similar to Johnny Manziel, be it Rosen or Mayfield. 

Same here but i see some pretty clear differences in the two. Wasn't Johnny Football a star coming out of HS? Mr. Football and all. Where as Baker had to walk on to his college team. One took his talents for granted. The other worked hard to develop his skills and earn the starting job.

Same here but i see some pretty clear differences in the two. Wasn't Johnny Football a star coming out of HS? Mr. Football and all. Where as Baker had to walk on to his college team. One took his talents for granted. The other worked hard to develop his skills and earn the starting job.

Maybe so, but immature is immature. He might grow out of that type of behavior, but he might not given a wheelbarrow full of cash. Rosen has a sense of entitlement with the lineage he has, hot tub in the dorm room, yard decorations, etc. All of that crap may be fine at the college level, but might not fly in the pros. I don't see it from Darnold or Allen.

i would love baker, but it's out of our control at this point. we have no say over 1-3...and 4, which leaves denver. if somehow he makes it to 6 then it's a different ball game. i do not want to trade picks away. i would rather use next year's due to having money for fa.

i think plan 1b....and it's the safe route, is rudolph. i'm not too worried tho. i think a.j.'s gonna be a stud.