Bills have private workout with Baker Mayfield

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't get why it matters where those guys went.  The success of those guys is what has changed the prejudice.  So its irrelevant to today, now people see if a guy is good, he can succeed at this height and now are not downgrading him nearly as much on height like they used to.

And Brees was a first round projected QB and went with the first pick in the 2nd round.

He is a first round draft prospect, and its not a debate really.  What round other QB's were projected in has absolutely no relevancy on grading where he is worthy of being drafted. 

And again, the top 4 QB's in the NFL are Brady, Brees, Rogers and Wilson.  And Baker is taller than 2 of them, and just an inch shorter than one other.  His height isn't going to be why he succeeds or fails, if he is a good NFL QB he can and will succeed in the NFL regardless of his height.  

Definitely think he is first rounder and I get what you are saying. I just have an unfair prejudice against the small quarterbacks. I think a lot of NFL people do too and that's why a guy like Brees drops. I'm a bit of a tradiotanilst in that sense. 

If if you are going to be a short quarterback you better be a super athlete or deadly accurate, otherwise I don't think you make it. That's imo. 

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Definitely think he is first rounder and I get what you are saying. I just have an unfair prejudice against the small quarterbacks. I think a lot of NFL people do too and that's why a guy like Brees drops. I'm a bit of a tradiotanilst in that sense. 

If if you are going to be a short quarterback you better be a super athlete or deadly accurate, otherwise I don't think you make it. That's imo. 

Well I think Baker is both an athlete and accurate.  The NFL QB he reminds me of is Steve Young personally, the way he can beat you with his legs when needed but is a smart and accurate QB from the pocket.  

Obviously being tall has its advantages, but the way I see it is simple.  If you take a guy thats a very good 6'3" QB and were to say make him 2 to 3 inches shorter, I dont think he goes from being good to a bust because of it.  He's either good or he is not good.  Just like if I take a failed 6'-0" QB and add say 2 to 3 inches to him,  I dont think he all of a sudden goes from a failure to a good QB.  

The guy can either play or he cant.  Baker isn't going to be less successful because he isnt 2 inches taller.  And I use 2" because if he was just 2" taller then his height would not even be talked about.  Just like Darnold isn't going to for sure be a good QB just because he's got great size.  

My personal opinion is that Baker is the best overall prospect in this draft at QB.  And I think because this draft is so packed with first round QB's who do have size, the nit picking to create operation between the prospects will be on his height and small off field stuff is going to allow a team to steal him as the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th QB off the board.  And I am hoping its the Bills.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well I think Baker is both an athlete and accurate.  The NFL QB he reminds me of is Steve Young personally, the way he can beat you with his legs when needed but is a smart and accurate QB from the pocket.  

Obviously being tall has its advantages, but the way I see it is simple.  If you take a guy thats a very good 6'3" QB and were to say make him 2 to 3 inches shorter, I dont think he goes from being good to a bust because of it.  He's either good or he is not good.  Just like if I take a failed 6'-0" QB and add say 2 to 3 inches to him,  I dont think he all of a sudden goes from a failure to a good QB.  

The guy can either play or he cant.  Baker isn't going to be less successful because he isnt 2 inches taller.  And I use 2" because if he was just 2" taller then his height would not even be talked about.  Just like Darnold isn't going to for sure be a good QB just because he's got great size.  

My personal opinion is that Baker is the best overall prospect in this draft at QB.  And I think because this draft is so packed with first round QB's who do have size, the nit picking to create operation between the prospects will be on his height and small off field stuff is going to allow a team to steal him as the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th QB off the board.  And I am hoping its the Bills.

Fair enough. Great points and analysis and what you are saying makes a ton of sense. I'm very curious to see how it turns out and this thing cannot get here fast enough.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ya I don't really buy into the height thing, I think it's because you have darnold and Allen who have the frames that scouts idolize. I honestly don't see how everyone has Mayfield below Allen. Obviously Allen is a freak athlete, but I think if Wentz didn't turn out to be a great gamble coming from a small school then Allen is far below Mayfield in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Ryans Leaf Manziel 2.0. 

Punk. Off field issues and horrible personality 

stay away

For the record he is my 3rd graded QB

wait isnt that what they say about Rosen hmmmmm?

No one gives a flying !@#$ about off the field issues and a "horrible personality" when you win games in the NFL

dude has the hunger and drive to put the team on his back and win games. 

Edited by Yeezus
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Rodgers is 6'2".  I understand in the real world it's a measly 2" we're talking about, but from a statistics standpoint, it matters in the NFL.

Maybe.

This is an interesting read either way. http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2017/02/stats_show_shorter_nfl_quarter.html

There are some stats guys here who can maybe tear this apart and let us know if it is bunk.  My apologies if it has been discussed prior.

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair enough. Great points and analysis and what you are saying makes a ton of sense. I'm very curious to see how it turns out and this thing cannot get here fast enough.

Thanks and totally agree.  This is an exciting class with 5 legit first round prospects, so honestly I will excited about any of the 5.  I just have a personal like of Baker overall, but all of the QB's have a lot of upside and potential.  

4 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Ya I don't really buy into the height thing, I think it's because you have darnold and Allen who have the frames that scouts idolize. I honestly don't see how everyone has Mayfield below Allen. Obviously Allen is a freak athlete, but I think if Wentz didn't turn out to be a great gamble coming from a small school then Allen is far below Mayfield in the draft.

Agreed, its a copy cat league.  And if there wasn't a Wilson and Brees, then Baker would be ranked lower too.  For me, I prefer the tape to explanations about why they didn't do things well.  That is why Allen scares me the most because you have to justify his low completion %.  He is still quite intriguing, so wouldn't hate drafting him, but those are the things that make me nervous about a prospect...when you have to justify why they didn't do things better in college.

13 hours ago, Yeezus said:

No one gives a flying !@#$ about off the field issues and a "horrible personality" when you win games in the NFL

dude has the hunger and drive to put the team on his back and win games. 

So Rosen doesnt have an issue personality then either right 

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So Rosen doesnt have an issue personality then either right 

It's not necessarily personality with Rosen it's like that Florida State safety who wanted to be a doctor. Rosen might not love football. He doesn't need it. His issues with personality is he might be flighty and aloof, tough to coach. It's different. 

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

It's not necessarily personality with Rosen it's like that Florida State safety who wanted to be a doctor. Rosen might not love football. He doesn't need it. His issues with personality is he might be flighty and aloof, tough to coach. It's different. 

And yet He, His coaches and his teammates say otherwise but people still want to keep pushing these issues. 

But mayfield is firery and has Moxy not a Ryan Leaf jerk. 

Cant have both 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet He, His coaches and his teammates say otherwise but people still want to keep pushing these issues. 

Cant have both 

Temperament and individual character are a complex mix.  It isn't a simple diagnosis, so what is a positive contributor with one person might work against another.  To many elements to be able to quickly discern, imo.  I don't care about Rosen's quirky personality.  I worry about the concussions.  You better build a strong oline.  That's always important, but with a somewhat lean fella with a history of concussions and poor pocket awareness (at least, that's what Mayock says, I don't know,) you better emphasize protection.  Anyway, I like Rosen, but he's not my first choice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cant have both 

A jerk is different than someone who might not be around for the long haul. Rosen is the toughest to invest in long term IMO. He has those issues I stated before. Plus he's built like RG3 and Brady and Matt Ryan with skinny legs. Lets say he get a knee injury, is he fighting back to play? He has a history of concussions, if he get more than a couple during his rookie contract will he retire? You're thinking like a fan. When running a business you have to think about personalities and the their long term ramifications.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Temperament and individual character are a complex mix.  It isn't a simple diagnosis, so what is a positive contributor with one person might work against another.  To many elements to be able to quickly discern, imo.  I don't care about Rosen's quirky personality.  I worry about the concussions.  You better build a strong oline.  That's always important, but with a somewhat lean fella with a history of concussions and poor pocket awareness (at least, that's what Mayock says, I don't know,) you better emphasize protection.  Anyway, I like Rosen, but he's not my first choice.

He may be lean looking but he is thick. And the Body Mass measurement from Combine shows that. 

I am worried a bit about the Concussions however NFL Rules will help there seeing he cannot be touched in the head, also you are now about a year removed. 

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

A jerk is different than someone who might not be around for the long haul. Rosen is the toughest to invest in long term IMO. He has those issues I stated before. Plus he's built like RG3 and Brady and Matt Ryan with skinny legs. Lets say he get a knee injury, is he fighting back to play? He has a history of concussions, if he get more than a couple during his rookie contract will he retire? You're thinking like a fan. When running a business you have to think about personalities and the their long term ramifications.

No I am thinking like a best player at the position. And that is him. 

My NFL Rules offset the concussion thing

and Granted I dont have access to him but if a team takes him up there you can be assured they are good with his Want too

Stay away from Baker Mayfield he will be arrested and suspended before his tookie contract up

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No I am thinking like a best player at the position. And that is him. 

My NFL Rules offset the concussion thing

and Granted I dont have access to him but if a team takes him up there you can be assured they are good with his Want too

There is no rule against hitting a QB and his head bouncing off the turf. We disagree with him being the best player. He could be good, he could be a bust. At the end of the day the best QB have always been the best fighters. You better have a damn good team if you take Rosen.

Edited by CuddyDark