Is there a rush to judgement on Peterman?

On 3/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, RiotAct said:

he did pretty well in the Snow Game against the Colts, all things considered.

That game should have no bearing on anyones evaluation of anyone. Players could barely stand or see. The fact any pass was completed all day is incredible. 

His performance in perfect conditions sucked.

A comprehensive list of QBs selected in round 5 or later between 2005 - 2016, I've highlighted the two players who played in a single Pro Bowl:

Detroit Lions Dan Orlovsky  Connecticut
New Orleans Saints Adrian McPherson  Florida State
Baltimore Ravens Derek Anderson † Oregon State
Green Bay Packers Ingle Martin  Furman
Pittsburgh Steelers Omar Jacobs  Bowling Green
Cincinnati Bengals Reggie McNeal  Texas A&M
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Bruce Gradkowski  Toledo
Atlanta Falcons D. J. Shockley  Georgia
Cincinnati Bengals Jeff Rowe  Nevada
Baltimore Ravens Troy Smith  Ohio State
Washington Redskins Jordan Palmer  UTEP
Minnesota Vikings Tyler Thigpen  Coastal Carolina
Minnesota Vikings John David Booty  USC
Pittsburgh Steelers Dennis Dixon  Oregon
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Josh Johnson  San Diego
New York Jets Erik Ainge  Tennessee
Washington Redskins Colt Brennan  Hawaiʻi
New York Giants Andre' Woodson  Kentucky
Green Bay Packers Matt Flynn  LSU
Houston Texans Alex Brink  Washington State
New York Giants Rhett Bomar  Sam Houston St.
San Francisco 49ers Nate Davis  Ball State
Denver Broncos Tom Brandstater  Fresno State
Seattle Seahawks Mike Teel  Rutgers
St. Louis Rams Keith Null  West Texas A&M
Indianapolis Colts Curtis Painter  Purdue
Arizona Cardinals John Skelton  Fordham
San Diego Chargers Jonathan Crompton  Tennessee
Tennessee Titans Rusty Smith  Florida Atlantic
Chicago Bears Dan LeFevour  Central Michigan
Minnesota Vikings Joe Webb  UAB
Carolina Panthers Tony Pike  Cincinnati
Buffalo Bills Levi Brown  Troy
New Orleans Saints Sean Canfield  Oregon State
New England Patriots Zac Robinson  Oklahoma State
Kansas City Chiefs Ricky Stanzi  Iowa
Houston Texans T. J. Yates  North Carolina
Chicago Bears Nathan Enderle  Idaho
Baltimore Ravens Tyrod Taylor † Virginia Tech
New York Jets Greg McElroy  Alabama
Arizona Cardinals Ryan Lindley  San Diego State
Green Bay Packers B. J. Coleman  Chattanooga
Indianapolis Colts Chandler Harnish  NIU
San Diego Chargers Brad Sorensen  Southern Utah
Denver Broncos Zac Dysert  Miami (OH)
San Francisco 49ers B. J. Daniels  South Florida
Atlanta Falcons Sean Renfree  Duke
Kansas City Chiefs Aaron Murray  Georgia
Cincinnati Bengals AJ McCarron  Alabama
Tennessee Titans Zach Mettenberger  LSU
Chicago Bears David Fales  San Jose State
Baltimore Ravens Keith Wenning  Ball State
New York Jets Tajh Boyd  Clemson
St. Louis Rams Garrett Gilbert  SMU
Green Bay Packers Brett Hundley  UCLA
Denver Broncos Trevor Siemian  Northwestern
Kansas City Chiefs Kevin Hogan  Stanford
Washington Redskins Nate Sudfeld  Indiana
Detroit Lions Jake Rudock  Michigan
Jacksonville Jaguars Brandon Allen  Arkansas
San Francisco 49ers Jeff Driskel  Louisiana Tech
Miami Dolphins Brandon Doughty  Western Kentucky

On 3/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The guy had less than 2 sec to pass the ball. That was the worst O-Line performance that I have ever seen in all my time watching the NFL. I've re watched that game 6 times and the only thing Peterman could do differently is dropping to the ground and taking the sacks. 

If you think you can evaluate a QB when the O-Line plays like that you should be a scout or GM for a NFL team.

Quarterbacks never face pressure or have to step up

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

I have watched this fan base bury QB's fast. If Josh Rosen plays like Jared Goff did his 1st year I doubt Rosen survives. 

Perhaps.   But fans and coaches will be more patient with a prospect who is drafted with their first pick than they will be with a guy who is drafted in round 5 and has much lower expectations to start with.

It is far easier to move on from a guy who you really weren't that confident in to begin with.

I suspect Rosen would get at least as many opportunities as EJ got to prove whether or not he has upside potential.

51 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

A number of top QBs have had horrible games where they threw multiple interceptions, many more than one.

NFL Passes Intercepted Single Game Leaders. Here's a sampling:

Ken Stabler: 7

John Brodie: 6

Joe Namath: 6 (3x)

Norm Van Brocklin: 6

Brett Favre: 6

Peyton Manning: 6

Joe Ferguson: 6

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_single_game.htm

You are getting pretty ridiculous with your thread starts.  Can you please stop?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

That game should have no bearing on anyones evaluation of anyone. Players could barely stand or see. The fact any pass was completed all day is incredible. 

His performance in perfect conditions sucked.

OK I'll defend Peterman. Rookie vs a top pass defense on the road with no WR's. 

Ummm, how do you think it should go? If I judge him with Benjamin he looked good actually. But that was like 5 plays. 

I'm not saying he will ever be a Franchise QB, but for his draft position, and his cost, he might grow into a reliable backup. Why the double standard on Peterman and Jones. Jones is given a total pass after starting a whole season, and absolutely sucking in multiple games. Yet he just "needs time". Peterman starts in his first game in the toughest position in the game, and is a 'total bust".

Edited by simpleman

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I have watched this fan base bury QB's fast. If Josh Rosen plays like Jared Goff did his 1st year I doubt Rosen survives. 

Most people know the difference between a 5th round flyer and a QB like Rosen with premier skills that translate to the NFL. 

Y'all want to laugh it up? 

I SAID you all want to laugh it up?  ;)

Well have yourselves a funny funny guffaw at this thought.

The same head coach that provided that wonderful confidence building experience for Peterman will be spending 3 first round draft picks on the next young QB he gonna develop so well.

The same keen mind that sized him up as ready to go, the same towering intellect that prepared Peterman so well, has the future of our unborn future franchise qb in his hands.

Ain't that funny? :)

we burn through QBs so fast nobody actually knows if they can or cant play.    Tyrod is one of the few that got at least 3 years of starts,   thats how we knew he wasnt the guy.   he had enough time to prove that he wasnt.    and yet theres some here that think he didnt get enough time.

then we get to the people who think Peterman is done after 1 all time terrible game,  and a grand total of 2 starts.     mainly because he was a 5th round pick.

much logic in this fanbase.

its more than just the player,  its many things that lead to whether a player is a success or not.

many many QBs who had all the measurables,  failed due to things beyond their control.

could care less whether Peterman plays again or not,  the point is,  people write off others all the time for no reason at all.   and it will never change,  due to the fact that humans beings only see what they want to see.

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Most people know the difference between a 5th round flyer and a QB like Rosen with premier skills that translate to the NFL. 

Oh please. No one  really knows how well Rosen's skills will translate into the NFL. He hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL yet.  I love how people  anoint someone premier and elite before they even take the field.  Let us wait and see how they actually perform before we anoint them. BTW Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr and Matt Leinart all say Hi!

Edited by simpleman

I think the reason QBs like Peterman don't get as much benefit of the doubt is because 1st round QBs are bigger investments.  There's more 1st round busts then there are 5th round gems so the chance of Nate being a future starter is not too good.  There's a reason he was drafted so late.  I wish him well but as of right now, the Bills have two, unproven, 5th round QBs on their roster.  Those are the facts.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

We haven't had any 1st round QB picks under the current regime. What happened in the past doesn't matter.

We just threw away Tyrod the same way we threw away Flutie. Nothing changes. 

You're telling me if Rosen starts like Eli Manning the fans won't turn on him? He was dreadful. 1-6, 48% completion, 55 rating his rookie year. 

5 minutes ago, simpleman said:

Oh please. No one  really knows how well Rosen's skills will translate into the NFL. He hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL yet.  I love how people  anoint someone premier and elite before they even take the field.  Let us wait and see how they actually perform before we anoint them.

Oh please indeed.  There is a disparity in talent that projects him to be successful at the NFL level which is exactly why he'll be a high 1st round pick.   

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We just threw away Tyrod the same way we threw away Flutie. Nothing changes. 

You're telling me if Rosen starts like Eli Manning the fans won't turn on him? He was dreadful. 1-6, 48% completion, 55 rating his rookie year. 

Flutie and Tyrod both plateaued at a level below what it takes to make a team a perennial playoff contender.

I certainly won't.  Eli came in with pedigree that predicted he'd be a good NFL QB.  The investment alone earned him time just as it would with Rosen or whatever other QB the Bills might draft in the 1st round. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Well at least Peterman is more efficient then those guys, it only took him half the time to get to that many picks! 

There's also a big difference in that Peterman was a 5th rounder who's ceiling according to some scouting reports was as a backup, compared to those guys you listed who's ceilings were much higher.......

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oh please indeed.  There is a disparity in talent that projects him to be successful at the NFL level which is exactly why he'll be a high 1st round pick.   

I never get an answer to this. Are fans willing to suffer to develop a top QB? Are you? I doubt it. 

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

I never get an answer to this. Are fans willing to suffer to develop a top QB? Are you? I doubt it. 

I don't know what you're talking about but many on here including me want the Bills to spend the accumulated draft capital to trade up and select one of these highly rated QB prospects. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't know what you're talking about but many on here including me want the Bills to spend the accumulated draft capital to trade up and select one of these highly rated QB prospects. 

Yes, and then when we go 2-14 and his stats are terrible what happens? Do you stick behind him? 

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

A number of top QBs have had horrible games where they threw multiple interceptions, many more than one.

Is this you Nate?

No one bad game does not define a QB but it can confirm things you suspected. Peterman shows up to practice right? they get to see him throw the ball there, see him in film study. Throwing an interception every 6 minutes may confirm some things they suspected when scouting him and watching him every day in practice. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the problem with this logic is that it doesn’t account for what happened prior to the bad game.  For example, I’m pretty sure Manning’s 6 Int game came against the Chargers in prime time.  If that’s correct, I’m pretty sure that was in the mid 2000s.  He had already established himself in this league before that game took place.  I was ok with the peterman decision so I won’t pretend that I thought it was a terrible move, but that game didn’t do anything to give anyone confidence that he is the answer to our qb problem.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

I think the problem with this logic is that it doesn’t account for what happened prior to the bad game.  For example, I’m pretty sure Manning’s 6 Int game came against the Chargers in prime time.  If that’s correct, I’m pretty sure that was in the mid 2000s.  He had already established himself in this league before that game took place.  I was ok with the peterman decision so I won’t pretend that I thought it was a terrible move, but that game didn’t do anything to give anyone confidence that he is the answer to our qb problem.

There have been too many wise, thoughtful and up voted newbies around here lately for my taste.

...I'm feeling inferior.

It is almost like I have complex developing associated with the way I feel lesser than others...I don't know what to call it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Other than throwing for 6 INT's in a game, Fergy really doesn't belong on this list of 'top'' QB's.

Most of those QBs improved as time went on.  A lot of fans here don't believe a QB can improve.  I've heard it with draft prospects saying they won't improve from their college days to the NFL.  It's armchair GM season remember...

The guy can improve and if he does, he will compete for the starting job.  If not, he will stay in the background where he is now

6 INTs in a game isn't the same as 6 INTs in the first half of your 1st career start......

Being a highly rated prospect you could say that maybe it was just a fluke or bad game, or it's against the Pats and they had the playbook well in advance, but when your a 5th round pick against a middle of the pact team, you won't get the same slack.

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Give me a break. 

Whatever man. 

Maybe we we should find Levi Jones because after all he was a 7th Rounder and he “never got a fair shake”. 

Nate Peterman stunk up the joint immediately. 

Give you a break from what?  Facts?

Did I say Nate would be great? 

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Give up and do what?

They had 2 other quarterbacks on the team - Webb and Peterman.

They tried the second best guy for a game.   He embarrassed himself, the coaches and the Buffalo Bills organization with record setting bad play.

So, HOW do you suggest they would have given up in a better way?

Play (throw it to the other team)Peterman at QB the rest of the year and shoot for record number of interceptions in a season ever?

Umm. Foles was available I believe 

who else? Keenum? 

Peterman has a horrible half.  

He was put in because what McDermott had a brain fart or because TT was playing poorly?

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There is no point when you try to hold out hope for him by comparing him to QBs who were 1st and 2nd overall picks in their respective draft classes. 

And yet many held out hope for Tyrod Taylor.  

I guess bills fans are clueless 

54 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:
56 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yes, and then when we go 2-14 and his stats are terrible what happens? Do you stick behind him?

Highly rated prospect he said?

like some experts said about Nate? 

The Natehaters you gotta love em no? 

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Are you Nate Peterman's mom???

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Resistance is Futile.  

I raised this topic in a few threads and the results I saw were that The NateHaters don’t care.  

14 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Most of those QBs improved as time went on.  A lot of fans here don't believe a QB can improve.  I've heard it with draft prospects saying they won't improve from their college days to the NFL.  It's armchair GM season remember...

The guy can improve and if he does, he will compete for the starting job.  If not, he will stay in the background where he is now

Except for Favre and Manning, all these QBs were in their primes 30 years ago ... and even Favre's prime was about 20 years ago.

What do Tee Martin, Mike McMahon, AJ Feeley, Randy Fasani, Brandon Doman, Craig Nall, Brian St Pierre, Craig Krenzel, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson, Ingle Martin, Omar Jacobs,  Jeff Rowe, Troy Smith, John David Booty, Dennis Dixon, Josh Johnson, Erik Ainge, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton, Ricky Stanzi, TJ Yates,  Nathan Enderle, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron?    They're all the fifth round draft picks taken since 2000.

There are a few who were backup QBs, some for even several years, but none of them came close to becoming even a low level starting QB.   Most of these guys probably never even played in an NFL regular season game.  You can yap all you want about "armchair GM season" but the reality is that Nate Peterman is a longshot to become even an NFL backup for several years.