Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

This reminds me of that time when Bill Walsh told Marv that Trent Edwards was the next Montana. 

Sad, but true and our FO bought it hook, line and sinker.

Aye Carumba

15 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

McCarron isn't afraid to let it go and throw into tight windows. Can't wait to see what he can do. Hopefully they build a decent OL around him.

He's a highly confident guy with a gunslinger mentality.

This is just it.  The Bills have brought in so many QB prospects over the last 20 years, only to surround them with hot garbage.  Nobody cares what I think but I'd see the Bills trade down, get more picks, revamp the O-Line, get a couple serviceable WR's and a LB or two, then have at it.  Surround AJM with the tools he needs to be more than a game manager

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

Let me ask you this !! ( example ) 

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

If your goal is to be respectable then you would be comfortable with McCarron as your long-term starter. If you have higher aspirations then you would aggressively pursue a more talented qb who can go beyond managing an offense and make plays. 

If you look at the teams that are your standard serious teams for the most part (not always) they have upper echelon qbs. Last year, the Bills eked into a wild-card playoff game. That isn't what you should be striving for. 

Just now, dorquemada said:

This is just it.  The Bills have brought in so many QB prospects over the last 20 years, only to surround them with hot garbage.  Nobody cares what I think but I'd see the Bills trade down, get more picks, revamp the O-Line, get a couple serviceable WR's and a LB or two, then have at it.  Surround AJM with the tools he needs to be more than a game manager

He played like a game manager when he had all of those tools in CIN with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Maohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert. 

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Because he doesnt think Lamar Jackson is good?  

He said Manziel should've went first overall. His biggest reason for Lamar not being a QB was size, the guy who is taller and heavier than the prospect he prefers, Baker.

He had 10 years of absolute horrific drafting before the Colts realized football was past his time. Me, you, your grandma, Uncle, and both our cousins could've picked Manning and Luck #1 overall. Polian has had multiple HOF QBs yet was only able to muster up one SB win.

His opinion is about as good as Chip Kelly's. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

McCarron isn't afraid to let it go and throw into tight windows. Can't wait to see what he can do. Hopefully they build a decent OL around him.

He's a highly confident guy with a gunslinger mentality.

Slow your roll. this sounds very familiar

The majority of McCarron’s passes in the NFL so far came over his three starts at the end of the 2015 season. Over that stretch, the Bengals beat the 49ers and Ravens, each of whom finished 5-11, and lost in overtime to the eventual Super Bowl-champion Broncos.

McCarron completed 54 of his 83 passes (65.1 percent) over that stretch with four touchdowns and no interceptions. That may look impressive and was good enough for a 100.1 passer rating as a starter, but the problem was that the Bengals’ offense slowed to a crawl.

He averaged just 184 passing yards in those games, stalling an offense that averaged 376.9 yards in Dalton’s 13 starts. With McCarron at the helm for the final three games, Cincinnati averaged 276 yards and couldn’t top 300.

That continued into the postseason, where the Bengals lost 18-16 to the Steelers and were outgained 369 yards to 279.

Even during McCarron’s days at Alabama, he had a reputation as a game manager who leaned on a strong running game and an NFL-caliber cast around him. Hoping he can generate offense on his own and lead a team to points with his arm may be too much to ask.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/13/17020272/aj-mccarron-nfl-free-agency-2018-cincinnati-bengals

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

why the need to make it personal? climb up over the curb and address the argument at hand.

There's nothing personal in that. He's gung ho about AJM. Why so serious?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's nothing personal in that. He's gung ho about AJM. Why so serious?

perhaps your right, my bad. nothing derogatory there. still working the first cupajoe this morning.

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He played like a game manager when he had all of those tools in CIN with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Maohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert. 

he played in a system designed around Dalton.  

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

he played in a system designed around Dalton.  

He played under Hue Jackson who likes him and knows his strengths and weaknesses very well.  No excuses for what he is and how he performed which wasn't bad at all.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

perhaps your right, my bad. nothing derogatory there. still working the first cupajoe this morning.

He's annoyed for some reason that the Bills signed a QB with a lot of potential at a bargain basement price. 

He's been stalking me with derogatory comments like the one above because I think that McCarron will exceed expectations.

It's all very odd and bizarre.

His resume is so unimpressive I don't believe we can take anything he says seriously. I'm not sure why we ever did... :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

He's annoyed for some reason that the Bills signed a QB with a lot of potential at a bargain basement price. 

He's been stalking me with derogatory comments like the one above because I think that McCarron will exceed expectations.

there's a lot of negativity on this board because people are dumb and were vested in a particular FA QB

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You have been quoting my posts in various threads, but I'm stalking you?  :lol:

7 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Is it just me or does Bill seem like he is just suffering fools when he is on TV. He seems like he is seething with contempt the whole time. I think the guy would be a pain in the ass at this point to work with.

He's always been like that, which is why he tends to wear out his welcome wherever he goes, despite the fact that he has done a great job at each landing spot. We all know the real reason he was forced out of Buffalo...

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

He's always been like that, which is why he tends to wear out his welcome wherever he goes, despite the fact that he has done a great job at each landing spot. We all know the real reason he was forced out of Buffalo...

Ralph is Cheap!

1 hour ago, SmokinES3 said:

His resume is so unimpressive I don't believe we can take anything he says seriously. I'm not sure why we ever did... :rolleyes:

Don't forget the job he did with expansion Carolina ... I don't understand the Polian hate, some people just do not respect age and wisdom.   Polian has a opinion, he is clearly on the entertainment side of the business now and he might be wrong, so what. 

The phrase "the game has passed him by" is nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Don't forget the job he did with expansion Carolina ... I don't understand the Polian hate, some people just do not respect age and wisdom.   Polian has a opinion, he is clearly on the entertainment side of the business now and he might be wrong, so what. 

The phrase "the game has passed him by" is nonsense. 

Again, if he said that the Bills should do whatever is necessary to get to the top to get one of the QBs cause they are worth it, everyone would be  talking about his genius.

Say something opposite what they want to hear and he is an old senile coot who has no idea what he is talking about and the games past him by, and he was never that great anyway......

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Putin said:

Let me ask you this !! ( example ) 

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

This is a moot question. AJ McCarron is a fifth round pick. Alex Smith is a 1st round pick. Teams carry this differently so they are not the same. I am rooting for McCarron but you were trying to say there circumstances are the same and they definitely are not. Alex Smith was the 1st QB taken that year and has all the intangible qualities you draft a QB in that position. You could argue Rosen is in that position right now.

47 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Again, if he said that the Bills should do whatever is necessary to get to the top to get one of the QBs cause they are worth it, everyone would be  talking about his genius.

Say something opposite what they want to hear and he is an old senile coot who has no idea what he is talking about and the games past him by, and he was never that great anyway......

McCarron probably is better than the 2017 draft. 2018, I would say Rosen and Baker have better stats but who has a record like McCarron, 36-4 two Championships.

10 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

This is a moot question. AJ McCarron is a fifth round pick. Alex Smith is a 1st round pick. Teams carry this differently so they are not the same. I am rooting for McCarron but you were trying to say there circumstances are the same and they definitely are not. Alex Smith was the 1st QB taken that year and has all the intangible qualities you draft a QB in that position. You could argue Rosen is in that position right now.

McCarron probably is better than the 2017 draft. 2018, I would say Rosen and Baker have better stats but who has a record like McCarron, 36-4 two Championships.

What diffrence does it make what round who was taken ? Was Alex Smith worthy of the 1st overall pick ? Maybe given a chance AJ can have even a better career/ production then Alex Smith , we just don’t know ( yet ) 

I'd imagine he can at least match the 156 passing yards a game we have become used to. Was going to say sack #'s will probably skyrocket. Didn't realize Tyrod was sacked 46 times last year. So I hope skyrocketing isn't possible or it's going to be brutal. Tyrod's sack #'s went up every year he was here...wonder why that was?

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I agree that they should draft a top qb prospect this year if they can do it, no one knows what McCarron will do. 

3 hours ago, Putin said:

Why the man got pretty impressive resume 

Yeah but he's pretty out of touch with the game and players of the current era. Plus, he has a reputation as a massive pr*ck to work with. Evidently just a miserable guy and his mood would permeate the entire office. People always felt like they were walking on eggshells around him. 

This is just a theory of my own but I actually think it was the Pegula's who ultimately decided NOT to hire him as their "football czar" after meeting with him and likely hearing how he would want to run things and also seeing just how out of touch he is with the current era. I say this because since then, he hasn't had the nicest or most informed things to say about the Bills. I think it was just before the 2017 season that he referred to the Bills OL as "aging and unathletic" and this was after they had led the league in rushing in '15 & '16. For the record, I'm not concerned about the media spinning negativity about the Bills, I just kinda feel like maybe Polian was really on board to be "the czar" here and after the Pegula's got to know him a little better they were like, "Eh, thanks but no thanks. You can say that you declined our offer if that makes you feel better." 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He played under Hue Jackson who likes him and knows his strengths and weaknesses very well.  No excuses for what he is and how he performed which wasn't bad at all.

I don't see how Hugh Jackson liking McCarron or not (he does) has anything to do with designing an offense to play to his strengths.

Daboll coached for Saban and McCarron played for Saban. I am sure that Daboll has a lot of inside info on McCarron.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Russ Brandon was actually more successful at drafting than Bill Polian

He was hired in 1997. The Bills SB run was 1990 - 1993.

Polian was the GM of the Bills from 1986 - 1992. He built the SB teams.

Edited by Sky Diver