KC player set to become doctor, hopes to wear ‘M.D.' on jersey

Punching Bag

It is said that Offensive Linemen are some of the smartest players in the game and this shows a good example:

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/fox-content-hub/kansas-city-chiefs-player-set-to-become-doctor-hopes-to-wear-md-on-jersey

Duvernay-Tardif says he wants to commemorate this achievement in a very unique way, by wearing “Duvernay-Tardif M.D.” on the back of his jersey next season.

Duvernay-Tardif is spending his offseason finishing his medical degree at McGill University in Montreal, and he thinks that means next season he’ll be the first medical doctor to step foot on an NFL field as a player.

He also got official broadcaster credentials and not a talking head for football.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916990/article/laurent-duvernaytardif-chronicles-unique-olympics-adventure

During our November bye week, I flew back to my hometown of Montreal, Quebec, to pitch a concept to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (Canada's news organization and broadcaster of the Olympic Games). I wanted to use my sport and medicine perspective to explore how athletes optimize their performances. Every story would have a scientific angle: nutrition, hydration, sports science, mental preparation. This would explain the complex, multi-faceted aspect of each sport and put the spotlight on an athlete's support staff.

They liked the idea, so I booked my ticket to Pyeongchang as a reporter.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, greenwithenvy said:

He is an extremely impressive guy.  McGill is 1 of the best schools in Canada.  Completing his MD there on top of the demands of NFL football is incredible.

I was really hoping the Bills would draft him but I never expected him to end up as good as he is.

Tallest midget

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is he that insecure that he has to wear it on his uniform so everybody knows? I'm sure I'm in the minority here and I'll get flamed and I understand that, but why draw attention to your accomplishments in such a garish fashion? Seems self-centered and, well, insecure as I said. There have been other highly intelligent, accomplished players that just never saw the need to plaster their credentials this way. 

Now, if he officially changes his name to include the "MD" at the end of it, I fully understand. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Is he that insecure that he has to wear it on his uniform so everybody knows? I'm sure I'm in the minority here and I'll get flamed and I understand that, but why draw attention to your accomplishments in such a garish fashion? Seems self-centered and, well, insecure as I said. There have been other highly intelligent, accomplished players that just never saw the need to plaster their credentials this way. 

Now, if he officially changes his name to include the "MD" at the end of it, I fully understand. 

I think you hit the nail on the head here. He's been lobbying the league office to allow 'Duverney-Tardif, Notary Public' for that last 2 years. Now this? Common, man.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. He's been lobbying the league office to allow 'Duverney-Tardif, Notary Public' for that last 2 years. Now this? Common, man.

Really? I admire his marketing skills, but I can't see the league allowing blatant advertising like that. Unless of course it's a multi-national firm offering them hundreds of millions for the privilege. 

What's next, accident attorneys?

Edited by K-9

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Maybe he should switch leagues. Probably would be okay in the XFL.

Congrats on the degree and all, but this sounds over the top.

Edited by reddogblitz

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It is said that Offensive Linemen are some of the smartest players in the game and this shows a good example:

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/fox-content-hub/kansas-city-chiefs-player-set-to-become-doctor-hopes-to-wear-md-on-jersey

He also got official broadcaster credentials and not a talking head for football.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916990/article/laurent-duvernaytardif-chronicles-unique-olympics-adventure

That would be very cool!

Here's an article he wrote about his two careers:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/le-docteur-laurent-duvernay-tardif-kansas-city-chiefs/

He definitely has a bit of ego.  Impressive, nonetheless.  

A Canadian once told me McGill is the Harvard of Canada.  Maybe a little hyperbole there but it is an excellent school.  

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Already shown.  John Urschel didn't retire in favor of a math PhD at MIT 'cuz OLmen are stupid.

I don’t know. He was making like $600K a year in the NFL. What do mathematicians make? He probably should have played out his career, hoped the CTE wasn’t too bad and went back to MIT. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know. He was making like $600K a year in the NFL. What do mathematicians make? He probably should have played out his career, hoped the CTE wasn’t too bad and went back to MIT. 

He had a concussion that left him unable to work on the math problems he loved for a couple of months, even though he returned to football in 3 weeks.  He says it didn't scare him, but it upset his mother and GF (now wife) a lot.  He says he loved hitting people, he just loved math more and football was getting in the way.

He made something like $1.7M in 3 years.  If he lived modestly and invested it prudently (which by all accounts, he did and does) he can be pulling a nice income of $60k-$70 to supplement his grad school stipend and his eventual salary which will probably be in the low-6 figures ($120k-ish).  Most folks tend to live pretty comfortably on an income of $180k if they don't get hung up on material acquisitions.  That's what, top 3 or 4% for all men, top 10% for men with an advanced degree (all advanced degrees, including MD/JD)?

All that and the chance to do what he loves, can't argue with the choice.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He had a concussion that left him unable to work on the math problems he loved for a couple of months, even though he returned to football in 3 weeks.  He says it didn't scare him, but it upset his mother and GF (now wife) a lot.  He says he loved hitting people, he just loved math more and football was getting in the way.

He made something like $1.7M in 3 years.  If he lived modestly and invested it prudently (which by all accounts, he did and does) he can be pulling a nice income of $60k-$70 to supplement his grad school stipend and his eventual salary which will probably be in the low-6 figures ($120k-ish).  Most folks tend to live pretty comfortably on an income of $180k if they don't get hung up on material acquisitions.  That's what, top 3 or 4% for all men, top 10% for men with an advanced degree (all advanced degrees, including MD/JD)?

All that and the chance to do what he loves, can't argue with the choice.

How do people live on that?

• Haha (+1) 2

I met Laurent here a couple of times. My cousin teaches him at McGill medical school. He's come a long way as I guard since his college playing days. I asked him what the difference was between college ball (Canadian at that) and the NFL. I was expecting to hear "bigger-stronger". He said no, that it was almost 100% technique and that he pretty much had to learn it from scratch. Credits his line coaches. Interesting guy. French Canadian kids are hockey players. Thats the culture. Guess he was too big for that growing up.

15 hours ago, greenwithenvy said:

He is an extremely impressive guy.  McGill is 1 of the best schools in Canada.  Completing his MD there on top of the demands of NFL football is incredible.

I was really hoping the Bills would draft him but I never expected him to end up as good as he is.

7 years of Med School though??

They must do things differently up there....

Edited by Mr. WEO

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

He earned the right, why not? We don't jump over military men/women when they wear apparel indicating they have served. 

Getting your MD or PhD while playing in the NFL is incredibly impressive. Quick google search says only one player has done it while being on an active roster. Pretty impressive stuff. 

I know some posters think it screams insecurity. It really does not bother me at all, unless he makes everybody actually refer to him as doctor.