NFL Could Change Defensive Pass Interference to a 15-yard Penalty - Unlikely to be Adopted

26CornerBlitz

This is a terrible idea that I hope they vote down.

NFL Could Change Defensive PI to a 15-yard Penalty

The NFL is reportedly looking at implementing a number of rule changes, some expected (clarifying the catch rule) and some not so.

One of the surprising proposals offered by the NFL Competition Committee is to change the penalty for defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty at most, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Tuesday. This is more in line with how the game is refereed on the collegiate level.

Changing the pass interference penalty is on its face a defense-first measure. Offenses would have far less to gain by "chucking it up" to try and draw a penalty from a grabby defensive back downfield.

I can see both sides.

1. A long pass interference call can seriously impact the game. And a lot of the time those calls are very ticky tack.

2. On the other side, players will just tackle the player if they are beat on a deep throw. They would be more than happy to concede the 15 yards.

It’s a lose lose either way in my opinion.

Overall I would slightly prefer them to keep the rule as is, but let the players play more and don’t call it PI unless it really impacts the play.

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 6

Stupid to do this. If my guy get's a step on me and is 45 yards downfield looking for the ball when I catch up I'm going to lay him out and save 30 yards. 

An easier way to fix the problem would be to let pass interference calls be challengeable, though that's another load of crap to do with.

I suppose if this is the way they wan't to do it and they need to address the fact that they can just mug a guy when he gets deep they could do a 2 strike ejection or something like that, but that's still stupid because preventing 2 big plays changes the whole game. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

Stupid to do this. If my guy get's a step on me and is 45 yards downfield looking for the ball when I catch up I'm going to lay him out and save 30 yards. 

An easier way to fix the problem would be to let pass interference calls be challengeable, though that's another load of crap to do with.

They challenge PI calls in the CFL and in my opinion it’s pretty annoying and kills the flow of the game even more.

I would just let the players play more and don’t call it unless it’s blatant 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I can see both sides.

1. A long pass interference call can seriously impact the game. And a lot of the time those calls are very ticky tack.

2. On the other side, players will just tackle the player if they are beat on a deep throw. They would be more than happy to concede the 15 yards.

It’s a lose lose either way in my opinion.

Overall I would slightly prefer them to keep the rule as is, but let the players play more and don’t call it PI unless it really impacts the play.

Couldn't they do it the same way they've modified "roughing the kicker"?  There's a 5 yd version and a 15 yd automatic first down version.  A close, aggressive play where there was some contact could be a 15 yard penalty (hand on the back, hands on should or arm as ball is arriving...).  However blatant PI, obvious mugging, not even turning to play the ball is a spot foul.  Also gives referees some latitude on late "hail mary" passes.  Those heaves always make me nervous that the offense will get a cheap PI penalty,... not sure how much that actually happens.  Anyway, penalty could be at the discretion of referee.

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

What if they do a quick calculation and penalize them the difference between the spot of the foul and 15 yards?

That is actually a really good idea.

I see it from both points of view.  You hate having a guy throwing a 50 yard pass near the goal line and then the flag puts them at the 1.  Hail Mary's always make me hold my breath just because of it.

Then of course, 15 yarders for PI makes the defensive back more inclined to hold if he's beat, eliminating the deep ball potential.

Your idea is a great compromise between the two.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd like them to keep it as a spot foul, but make it reviewable. For those saying "it will just make the game even longer!"...no it won't. Coaches still only get two challenges per game. Simply adding PI to what is considered reviewable won't change much at all in the way of game length.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Pats* received the most yards gained via pass interference in the league in 2017: http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2017

If a rule change hurts them more than the Bills I am in favor of it.  :-)

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure the Pats have a play called Gronk Deep Riveron Call.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I would not be upset if they left it as a spot foul at all.

But if they want to change it, then I don't think subtraction is unnecessarily complicated. 

It seems like half of the time the officials can't figure out where to spot the ball as things stand right now.

This would hurt Brady and the Patriots more than any other team so I can't be completely against it. 

I think the the thin most of us hate is when a team gets the ball at the one yard line or even inside of the 5 because of a iffy call that happened on a 50 yard pass play. They need to fix those calls for those situations. Not necessarily the entire rule. 

11 minutes ago, cage said:

Couldn't they do it the same way they've modified "roughing the kicker"?  There's a 5 yd version and a 15 yd automatic first down version.  A close, aggressive play where there was some contact could be a 15 yard penalty (hand on the back, hands on should or arm as ball is arriving...).  However blatant PI, obvious mugging, not even turning to play the ball is a spot foul.  Also gives referees some latitude on late "hail mary" passes.  Those heaves always make me nervous that the offense will get a cheap PI penalty,... not sure how much that actually happens.  Anyway, penalty could be at the discretion of referee.

I hear your points.

The way I look at it is the officials already have so much on their plate and are pretty incompetent for the most part.

If they add discretion/judgement to the rule, it just puts more on their plate and even more of a chance they mess it up lol.

Thats personally the way I see it

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Agree it’s not a good idea. Gonna be open season on every receiver who beats his man deep. 

That was my immediate thought, but there is no guarantee that the WR will actually catch the ball or that the throw will be catchable... Plus your DL could get a sack before the QB throws. Or disrupt the QB enough that he doesn't see the open man. Lots of variables at play...

If you just tackle the guy it's 15 yards and a 1st down. If the ball isn't right on a lot of times the deep ball doesn't connect, so you would be assuming a lot if you just tackle a guy. Plus the offense is going to start picking on you then with a speedster to see if they can take further advantage.

I like the idea. The pass interference calls are ridiculous now. And anyone who says just tackle the guy who beats you deep is forgetting that you are still giving up 15 and a fresh set of downs when a lot can happen on a pass.

Tackle a guy on a hail mary and all you did was give the offense ANOTHER hail mary 15 yards closer. Games cannot end on defensive fouls. Totally a non-issue.

24 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Pats* received the most yards gained via pass interference in the league in 2017: http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2017

of course they change this rule when Brady is close to retirement. He lived off of this call..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

That was my immediate thought, but there is no guarantee that the WR will actually catch the ball or that the throw will be catchable... Plus your DL could get a sack before the QB throws. Or disrupt the QB enough that he doesn't see the open man. Lots of variables at play...

If you just tackle the guy it's 15 yards and a 1st down. If the ball isn't right on a lot of times the deep ball doesn't connect, so you would be assuming a lot if you just tackle a guy. Plus the offense is going to start picking on you then with a speedster to see if they can take further advantage.

I like the idea. The pass interference calls are ridiculous now. And anyone who says just tackle the guy who beats you deep is forgetting that you are still giving up 15 and a fresh set of downs when a lot can happen on a pass.

Tackle a guy on a hail mary and all you did was give the offense ANOTHER hail mary 15 yards closer. Games cannot end on defensive fouls. Totally a non-issue.

Since you can’t have pass interference until the ball is in the air and it has to be catchable anyway when it is in the air, the sack scenario and question of a poor pass or not don’t apply. 

Sure there is no guarantee that a ball will be caught,  but it’s guaranteed it won’t be when a defender illegally interferes. That’s especially egregious when it’s done in the endzone and you’re robbed a potential TD otherwise. 

Anyway, if the rule is changed, defenders will be coached to intentionally interfere if they’ve been beaten deep.

And if a team “picks on you” with a speedster, it’s on you to defend that. Cheap, intentional 15 yard penalties is not a defense. Find a DB that can cover or get beat. You almost make it sound like it’s not a good thing for an offense to have that kind of weapon. 

Edited by K-9

32 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Yep. College is unwatchable now because everytime someone gets beat deep, they get mugged. There aren't even big plays anymore. Just a flag fest. Yesiree.

In college guys run around wide open without a DB in sight. That's why it's OK for college football.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That is actually a really good idea.

I see it from both points of view.  You hate having a guy throwing a 50 yard pass near the goal line and then the flag puts them at the 1.  Hail Mary's always make me hold my breath just because of it.

Then of course, 15 yarders for PI makes the defensive back more inclined to hold if he's beat, eliminating the deep ball potential.

Your idea is a great compromise between the two.

How about 25 yards(or 20?), or spot of foul, witch ever is less??

So if foul is 11 yards from LOS it is enforced to there. 24 enforced there etc etc..... but if it is a 60 yard PI call it is only enforced 25 yards.

They should instead remove the instant first down on a holding call. I don't have a problem for getting extra yards because your man beat the corner deep and could have taken it to the house. I have an issue when a CB breathes the wrong way on a receiver at 5.000000001 yards past the line of scrimmage and a 3rd and 20 becomes a first and 10.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Since you can’t have pass interference until the ball is in the air and it has to be catchable anyway when it is in the air, the sack scenario and question of a poor pass or not don’t apply. 

Sure there is no guarantee that a ball will be caught,  but it’s guaranteed it won’t be when a defender illegally interferes. That’s especially egregious when it’s done in the endzone and you’re robbed a potential TD otherwise. 

Anyway, if the rule is changed, defenders will be coached to intentionally interfere if they’ve been beaten deep.

And if a team “picks on you” with a speedster, it’s on you to defend that. Cheap, intentional 15 yard penalties is not a defense. Find a DB that can cover or get beat. You almost make it sound like it’s not a good thing for an offense to have that kind of weapon. 

This makes some sense but if you are close enough to tackle the WR then you are close enough to make a play on the ball, right?

Once a guy is 2 yards (6 feet) past you it's kind of hard to tackle him or make any type of contact. So the "tackle" or contact would have to come early in the route, while a sack, poor pass, WR dropping the ball, or you actually breaking it up are all still in play.

And it would be even more advantageous for an offense to have a speedy WR if the DB is just going to commit intentional PI rather than get beat deep. It makes those guys even more valuable. Just keep toasting the DB and taking the yardage.

Edited by TheFunPolice

This is a no win situation with both sides having good and bad points.

I would leave it the way it is now but enforce the uncatchable part of the rule.  It seems that minor interference on a low percentage pass gets PI.  In those cases don't make the call - keep the flag in the pocket.

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

They should instead remove the instant first down on a holding call. I don't have a problem for getting extra yards because your man beat the corner deep and could have taken it to the house. I have an issue when a CB breathes the wrong way on a receiver at 5.000000001 yards past the line of scrimmage and a 3rd and 20 becomes a first and 10.

I agree with that!  If you're in 3rd and long, you shouldn't get bailed out by a 5 yard holding penalty.  Can make it 10 yds if necessary same as Offensive Holding, but why hand out the automatic first down?  Seems like an artificial save, they're already getting the down over to run another play.

Just now, cage said:

I agree with that!  If you're in 3rd and long, you shouldn't get bailed out by a 5 yard holding penalty.  Can make it 10 yds if necessary same as Offensive Holding, but why hand out the automatic first down?  Seems like an artificial save, they're already getting the down over to run another play.

Yes! It's just another way to give the offense an automatic 1st down.

5 yards and replay the down is fine.

5 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

The CFL is rethinking the reviewable PI penalties.

It really slows down the game.

It can, but Id imagine you only have the same amount of reviews. If you used them up you can't challenge it. don't make it automatic.

1 hour ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Yeah, me too but I'm not sure that will be the case?

#1:  I'd be more in favor of not calling incidental contact fouls designed specifically to benefit the Pats* and other 'name' teams the NFL wants to do well.

#2:  Since that's unlikely to happen, I guess this is the next best thing.

#3:  I almost suggested a two stage rule with spot fouls for flagrant PI, but then I remembered #1.