Mike Mayock: There is no Carson Wentz in this QB class; wouldn’t put one in his top 5

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, zevo said:

Why is Carson Wentz now the standard....

Prototypical size, very good arm strength, excellent athlete who makes plays with his legs, intelligent, reads defenses, throws with timing and anticipation, can make plays outside of structure. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Surrounding a young qb with phenomenal coaching and a very strong team will make any qb look like the standard i guess. I just don’t know why analysts like to put themselves out there in regards to qbs in hopes of saying “i told you so” down the road. 

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i hope they take darnold at 1 and the giants take rosen at 2. we can take our 2 firsts and send tt to be their bridge for no. 4 where we take mayfiled.

If I had to put money on it, I would say they take Darnold at 1. But I’m not sure after playing a very young rookie QB they drafted high last year whose biggest issue was turnovers and replacing him with another very young rookie whose biggest issue in college was turnovers is a great idea for swift improvement. It depends how much of a long-term thinker Dorsey is. If they do take Darnold, I have to think the smart move is signing a bridge vet who can win a few games and have Sam sit for a year. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If I had to put money on it, I would say they take Darnold at 1. But I’m not sure after playing a very young rookie QB they drafted high last year whose biggest issue was turnovers and replacing him with another very young rookie whose biggest issue in college was turnovers is a great idea for swift improvement. It depends how much of a long-term thinker Dorsey is. If they do take Darnold, I have to think the smart move is signing a bridge vet who can win a few games and have Sam sit for a year. 

thats why sending taylor as a bridge may get us there with only our 2 firsts. we have to get in front of the jets and denver may get a ransom from other teams for no.5 ...if they land cousins.

i wouldn't include multiple picks from this year or next. i would rather sit tight.

Edited by billsredneck1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He loved him. He had him #1 overall on his board that year. 

Yolo, no reason for anyone to believe me, but honestly, in the lead up to the draft I was thinking that I would have taken Wentz first overall if I were the Rams.

...this news is a little disturbing as I respect Mayock a bit.

At the end of the day this will be a two qb draft Rosen and Darnold.   Mason Rudolph might be a solid qb but more of the Tannyhill type that you are always thinking about upgrading from .   Jackson to me is a true wild card , so much talent can it translate into playing the position .   Baker has always been over rated in my eyes. It is rare of a qb of his size to make it.  I keep looking at Chase daniels stats and highlights and I don't see a ton of difference.   

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yolo, no reason for anyone to believe me, but honestly, in the lead up to the draft I was thinking that I would have taken Wentz first overall if I were the Rams.

...this news is a little disturbing as I respect Mayock a bit.

Disturbing? We aren't in a position to get a Carson Wentz prospect. There are still 1st round QBs in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wentz has seemed to turn out great, but I think we should let this play out a bit before we make him the standard.  Granted he had a great year, but it ended just like his last year of college did, with injury.  Three years from now we may be talking about him as someone who couldnt stay on the field.

His tape was a lot of fun to watch but there were major questions on the guy, specifically he had one full year of starting and while he was a winner he wasnt overly productive against FCS level competition. 

I agree there probably isn't a player who has all the tools Wentz has, but it's way too early to say none of the quarterbacks in this class wont be as productive as Wentz at the next level. 

Saying that none of them are in the top 5 big board isn't really that much of a stretch to be honest. For example, Mel Kiper and Lance Zierlein each only have one QB in the Top 5 (both of them have their #1 QB at #5).

Barkley and Quenton Nelson are probably the top 2 on most big boards. Minkah Fitzpatrick and Bradley Chubb seem to be locked in for most as well. I would expect most big boards will have 0 or 1 QBs in the top 5 with the exception of McShay. Not having a QB in his top 5 doesn't mean he doesn't think they're a great prospect.

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

Mayock and Kiper have been wrong more than right- I tend to tune them out.

The draft is unpredictable, but most of these top draft guys go by what they hear. So it's probably accurate as of today that there are no elite prospects. 

Wentz was a late riser on many boards, but rumors started floating around that he was being compared to Andrew Luck. 

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Prototypical size, very good arm strength, excellent athlete who makes plays with his legs, intelligent, reads defenses, throws with timing and anticipation, can make plays outside of structure. 

He is all those things. 

But I find there's a bit of revisionist history when discussing his draft stock a couple years back.  Seems many now had him pegged as a can't miss prospect.  I seem to remember him having multiple question marks when coming out.  

3 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

At the end of the day this will be a two qb draft Rosen and Darnold.   Mason Rudolph might be a solid qb but more of the Tannyhill type that you are always thinking about upgrading from .   Jackson to me is a true wild card , so much talent can it translate into playing the position .   Baker has always been over rated in my eyes. It is rare of a qb of his size to make it.  I keep looking at Chase daniels stats and highlights and I don't see a ton of difference.   

Its rare for a QB of any size to "make it."    I would also argue that Mayfield is better in every statistical category than Daniels, who you're making a comparison to strictly based on height.   Most glaringly Daniels threw a very high rate of Interceptions, this wasnt the case for Mayfield.

1 minute ago, stony said:

He is all those things. 

But I find there's a bit of revisionist history when discussing his draft stock a couple years back.  Seems many now had him pegged as a can't miss prospect.  I seem to remember him having multiple question marks when coming out.  

Mayock was his biggest proponent. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really coming around to this, but the point has been made, could we trust McDermott to develop him properly?

mcd might think he's at least better than tyrod. the thing is they need to keep trying if jackson isn't the guy.  he can turn out to be pretty good but also easy to move on. 

I know this may sound nuts but what if Beane offered Tre White and 21 for the 3 pick or 2 pick?  White is easily our best asset i'd think right now and has a high value. It would suck losing him but if we can get a franchise qb it should be considered. 

2 minutes ago, stony said:

He is all those things. 

The Bills scouted him quite a bit during his final season in college, but the buzz became too big for them to have a shot at him. 

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh really? How? I thought his M.O. was to take off and run?

Lamar actually doesn't scramble very often. In the Petrino offense, it's basically either a read-option or he'll sit back in the pocket and attempt a pass.